2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (jmiley97302, DaEgg, Eli26, EPW, Evgeny 85, FrankCox, 10 invisible), 436 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KO #5 LH root
#3039288 10/25/20 05:49 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Any idea why awkward fingerings are “urged” to be used? Such as using 5421 for LH in root position with double bass note. I just started on it so I imagine it’s extra awkward until I develop the dexterity for it.

[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: KO #5 LH root
Sebs #3039293 10/25/20 06:18 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
??

5-4-2-1 is the usual fingering for C-E-G-C'. Chords & arpeggios.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #3039297 10/25/20 06:36 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by bennevis
??

Thanks. But not only referring to CEGC. That’s just the example they list but says use same fingerings going up and down chromatically. For example DF#AD feels much easier with 5321 but they say use 5421.

Sebs #3039301 10/25/20 07:00 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Sebs
??

Thanks. But not only referring to CEGC. That’s just the example they list but says use same fingerings going up and down chromatically. For example DF#AD feels much easier with 5321 but they say use 5421.
Is that book for jazzers?

No classical book would recommend 5-4-2-1 for D, E or A major in root position.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Sebs #3039302 10/25/20 07:04 PM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
I think you're right to question it, Sebs. It doesn't look like an intelligent compromise to me.

K.O. Drill # 5a is also total garbage.

What's the source?

Richard
Sebs #3039305 10/25/20 07:23 PM
J
J
I wonder if this book is trying to give you shortcuts so they can say their method is "easy," i.e. "look, you only need to remember one fingering for everything!"

I'm working my way through all the scales and arpeggios now, using the Alfred book for reference. When I'm learning a new key I'll try their fingering out. Usually it's fine, but if something doesn't feel quite right I'll make a minor adjustment...like substituting 3 for 4 or vice versa. IMO, the important thing is that you are comfortable and consistent. Figure out what feels best for your hands, and then write it down and stick with that fingering.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
Sebs #3039398 10/26/20 04:02 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
When learning scales and arpeggios, some fingering may feel awkward initially. For D major, the usual fingering is 5321, but for other keys, you may feel the fingering is difficult even though it is the right one. You should get a complete book with all the proper fingering for each key.

Sebs #3039400 10/26/20 04:06 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N

God forbid, but if your left middle finger is suddenly paralyzed, what kind of fingering will you play chord Db F Ab Db? There is a dry theory that needs to be learned; but there is also a reality that can impose non-standard solutions.
It is true that the piano beginner must learn the economy of playing movements and the rational fingering that matches the anatomical structure of the hands. On the other hand, real piano life at an advanced level inevitably also includes uncomfortable situations requiring both rationalization and adaptation. Rationalization has been mentioned; the point of adaptation is to turn the inconvenient into the convenient. This requires separate work, provided that flexibility and freedom of the hands are preserved as much as possible. Students should also have an understanding of the realities of piano playing. The great F. Busoni recommended using in exercises the craziest fingering.

Nahum #3039431 10/26/20 06:49 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by Nahum

God forbid, but if your left middle finger is suddenly paralyzed, what kind of fingering will you play chord Db F Ab Db? There is a dry theory that needs to be learned; but there is also a reality that can impose non-standard solutions.
The reality is that you are far, far more likely to develop a contracture deformity of fingers (3,) 4 & 5 (Dupuytren's) - especially if you are male and of Nordic ancestry - or suffer a traumatic amputation of several fingers, or develop weakness of the three lateral fingers (median N compression) than a sudden paralysis of the middle finger with nothing else affected. It's the reality of anatomical and medical science.

Playing all arpeggios using the same fingerings regardless of the position of black keys won't help any of that in the least.
It is true that the piano beginner must learn the economy of playing movements and the rational fingering that matches the anatomical structure of the hands.
The OP is a near-beginner.

On the other hand, real piano life at an advanced level inevitably also includes uncomfortable situations requiring both rationalization and adaptation. Rationalization has been mentioned; the point of adaptation is to turn the inconvenient into the convenient. This requires separate work, provided that flexibility and freedom of the hands are preserved as much as possible. Students should also have an understanding of the realities of piano playing. The great F. Busoni recommended using in exercises the craziest fingering.
I play at advanced (classical) level, and use the fingerings learnt from my student days (scales & arpeggios etc) automatically, all the time, without having to think about it, precisely because they have been well-practiced & ingrained. (And they can easily be adapted to suit the music being played.) That's what all classical students need to do, to facilitate their learning of more and more advanced pieces.

When I sight-read (which I do frequently), this experience facilitates playing at the right tempo with all the phrasing, dynamics and nuances in place.

When I encounter classical music that requires awkward fingerings, I take them as they come and adapt accordingly......with minimum fuss.

Jazzers & poppers may have other priorities, like transposing songs into every key on the fly(?), so I presume that the OP has been told by his teacher to learn the K.O. way (whatever K.O. is). In real life, I don't perform jazz or pop, so I leave that to the experts in those genres, like you.

I rarely ever have to transpose pieces on the fly when playing (for myself or for an audience): the only times when I had to do so were when accompanying hymns and songs, for which chords are mainly required......like church organists. And classical pianists have to be able to play chords - including big awkward stretchy ones - in all permutations. It's usually anatomical factors that cause experienced classical pianists problems with them: for instance, I, with my small hands, can play some chords that my last teacher (a concert pianist with big hands) can't.

Sebs #3039493 10/26/20 11:09 AM
W
W
I agree the I in D should be 5321 not 5421. But the other ones you listed above are 5421. Those are now more comfortable for me than 5321. I vague remember not liking it when I first learned it but I got used to it and now prefer it.

As motivation, you know you'll play 7th chord arpeggios as well. So for example you'll play V7 in F major: c-e-g-b flat -c 54321. So you'll have to like the 5-4 fingering sooner or later.

Sebs #3039504 10/26/20 11:57 AM
R
R
I think both are okay if you have very large hands. Otherwise, stick with 5-3. Also, if you're doing 5-4, make sure there's no uncomfortable stretch, and don't try to needlessly "separate" the fingers, and instead use a slight rotary movement.

ranjit #3039662 10/26/20 06:54 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I think you're right to question it, Sebs. It doesn't look like an intelligent compromise to me.

K.O. Drill # 5a is also total garbage.

What's the source?

It’s super sight reading secrets.

Originally Posted by ranjit
I think both are okay if you have very large hands. Otherwise, stick with 5-3. Also, if you're doing 5-4, make sure there's no uncomfortable stretch, and don't try to needlessly "separate" the fingers, and instead use a slight rotary movement.

54 is quite comfortable in most but 53 is even more comfortable. Is there any benefit of 54 versus 53?

wszxbcl #3039663 10/26/20 06:57 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
I agree the I in D should be 5321 not 5421. But the other ones you listed above are 5421. Those are now more comfortable for me than 5321. I vague remember not liking it when I first learned it but I got used to it and now prefer it.

As motivation, you know you'll play 7th chord arpeggios as well. So for example you'll play V7 in F major: c-e-g-b flat -c 54321. So you'll have to like the 5-4 fingering sooner or later.
[quote=wszxbcl] Thanks I didn’t see this post and that answers one of my questions I just asked above. So there is benefit to 54 and it’s a good reach to be able to do. I can play all of them with 54 just some aren’t as comfortable but it’s also my first time so I’m sure it’ll get easier with time.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission