2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
38 members (Eli26, DaEgg, EPW, Evgeny 85, cozmopak, Almaviva, 14 invisible), 439 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
#3038885 10/24/20 11:00 AM
A
Anna B. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello -- This would be my first acoustic piano purchase so I need some guidance. Can anyone advise me regarding a Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 (Model: KG-2D, Serial #: 1269921). It is rosewood, has the original key to lock it, matching original piano bench, and piano cover. Seller is asking $7000. When I see/play the piano, what should I be looking for? What should I be asking the seller? Thank you!

Re: Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
Anna B. #3038892 10/24/20 11:15 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Listen to the state of the tuning, assess touch and tone, look over the case carefully for damage.

Here’s one guide:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/how-to-inspect-a-used-piano-before-buying/

More articles:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/buying-a-used-piano/

Finally, if the piano makes it past your inspection, we highly recommend having the piano inspected by an independent technician (working in the buyer’s interest) prior to purchase.

By the way, it was built in 1981.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Anna B. #3038902 10/24/20 11:36 AM
K
K
The serial number shows it’s from 1981. $7k seems a little bit on a high side for a private listing, but depending on the local market. What many private sellers don’t consider in their pricing is that the dealers tune a piano for the floor and then include free delivery and first tuning as minimum, so the private listing should be lower to let the buyers cover those costs.

I would ask the seller about how they’ve been playing it, ownership history, when it was last tuned, and if any additional work has Ben done to it. All this can be discussed prior to a visit. Once you are there, play a bit to see if you like the tone and touch. If you are interested in checking the inside, here is a good guide:

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/how-to-inspect-a-used-piano-before-buying/

Even then, I urge you to hire a piano tech to check it out more thoroughly if you are serious about that piano.

Still, try not to rush the piano search. It’ll be good to try many pianos before deciding on one. It’s not unusual to spend months to find what you really like. Good luck!

Last edited by K8KT; 10/24/20 11:37 AM.
Anna B. #3038903 10/24/20 11:37 AM
K
K
Terminaldegree has beat me to it on the link😄

Anna B. #3038909 10/24/20 12:02 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Anna B.
Hello -- This would be my first acoustic piano purchase so I need some guidance. Can anyone advise me regarding a Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 (Model: KG-2D, Serial #: 1269921). It is rosewood, has the original key to lock it, matching original piano bench, and piano cover. Seller is asking $7000. When I see/play the piano, what should I be looking for? What should I be asking the seller? Thank you!

Hello, and welcome to Piano World!

The Kawai KG series can be very nice grand pianos. When you see/play the piano, make sure you like the tone and touch. The key-touch on some of these models can be a little on the heavier side. Some people prefer a heavier keytouch, as opposed to light, but it can be too heavy or too light. I prefer a medium weighted keytouch, not too heavy or too light. But what matters here is what you prefer. smile

The price is not excessive, and probably on par with the used piano market, depending on condition. Those Kawai KG models do usually command a higher price because they are nice pianos. With it being a private seller, there may be some room for price negotiations.

Remember, buying a piano private sale can be a lot less expensive than buying from a dealer, but there are certain responsibilities and risks that need to be considered. If you buy it, you will likely be responsible for arranging the move and for the moving cost, and the cost of any tuning or repair that may need to be done post sale. But even so, a private sale purchase can still be a great value.

As has been mentioned, the inspection by a qualified piano tech, not affiliated with the seller, is a great idea, and would be well worth the $150 or $200 (more or less?) it might cost, even if you end up not buying the piano.

Once you see and play the piano, your intuition will kick in and you will soon know whether or not you like it enough to buy it. smile

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Anna B. #3038921 10/24/20 12:39 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rosewood is an unusual finish for Kawai, so it might command a higher price.

The KG-2 pianos, particularly from KG-2D on, are well regarded, but time is marching on from those days. If the piano hasn't seen heavy use, it still may be very nice for the money. But I suspect that it is a buyer's market these days, and there may be room to negotiate a lower price.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Anna B. #3038926 10/24/20 12:56 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J
I don't know, I think a 40 year old KG-2 with the best will in the world isn't going to be that great, but it's all about the quality-price ratio and the preparation of the piano.

If the piano is structurally sound you might want to try get it for $4500 and use the rest of the money (the $2500) to get a technician to regulate it, voice, and tune it.

Joseph Fleetwood #3038980 10/24/20 03:17 PM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
I don't know, I think a 40 year old KG-2 with the best will in the world isn't going to be that great, but it's all about the quality-price ratio and the preparation of the piano.

If the piano is structurally sound you might want to try get it for $4500 and use the rest of the money (the $2500) to get a technician to regulate it, voice, and tune it.

They are built like tanks. And they have an endearing sound quality that can sometimes be hypnotic. With age the action may get a bit heavy, but..it is controllable. I cannot reproduce the atmosphere, sound and impressionistic timbre on my current piano (and many before that) that I could with my KG3C - when playing Debussy. My current piano is a vintage Knabe. The hammers will be replaced soon - so maybe better results.

So - as Joseph said - get it inspected and if good, you decide.

My KG3C - the frame cracked - actually bulged, but that was due to youthful ignorance. Never wrap a piano in cling wrap.

Weep

Deon

Anna B. #3038986 10/24/20 03:26 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
J
I agree that they're quite strong pianos but they are mid-range instruments. I agree that they can sound nice, beautiful in fact, with the right preparation.

I'm not sure if these actions got heavy with age or if they were always heavy. Kawai at that time were always making actions on the heavy side.

Wow so you wrapped a piano in cling wrap and it ended up having a frame issue? That's something I've never heard of before! Do tell us more!

Joseph Fleetwood #3039090 10/25/20 12:53 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
[...]
Wow so you wrapped a piano in cling wrap and it ended up having a frame issue? That's something I've never heard of before! Do tell us more!

Maybe he thought he was using Cling Wrap but was unintentionally using shrink wrap instead! smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Anna B. #3039098 10/25/20 03:13 AM
M
Online Content
M
Joseph - relocated from a dry climate - Central South Africa - to a very humid and moist coastal climate - KZN. The piano had to be in storage for about 4 months - so I decided in order to protect it - wrap it in cling wrap...

The warpage was minor and did not affect the tuning stability, sound quality and play ability. Hence my comment that they are built like tanks. The finish did suffer as well. I eventually got the cling wrap marks polished out. Sold that piano for a RX6.

Anna B. #3039121 10/25/20 05:02 AM
N
N
FWIW A client just sold a similar KG-2D in walnut for $5k. The piano is clean and in structurally excellent condition and had a thorough hammer reshaping and regulation a few years ago. It also has a Piano Life-Saver system installed and had been freshly tuned. She had several inquiries and possibly could have gotten more, but needs the piano out to make room for her upgrade to a restored Steinway O (the new owner is upgrading from a digital, so everybody's happy!).

Your market will vary depending on various factors including what else is available at that price point locally. Definitely hire a good tech to inspect before purchase!

Mark Dierauf, RPT
NH Pianos
Piano technician & rebuilder since 1978
www.nhpianos.com

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission