2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (jmiley97302, DaEgg, Eli26, EPW, Evgeny 85, FrankCox, 10 invisible), 436 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What is your daily piano practice routine? And few issues!
#3038791 10/24/20 01:59 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all,

Could i know, as a beginner or to where you are today since you have you been playing piano, what all are your piano practice routine please? .... I want to follow a strict practice sessions, so i can get moving forward. So people please let me know your daily practice routine for a beginner and also the next levels, wouldn't mind to know what is that you practice everyday, regardless of what level (Classical piano) you are in.

Also I have been facing few issues also, not sure how to come out of it:
1) Left and Right hand, hand co-ordination, good at right hand, but when i start using my left, i pause many times, may be am making mistakes by taking time to read the notations, and then looking at the keys to know what is what? May be!
2) Memorizing notations/keys or both Treble and Bass clefs, how have you been memorizing since you started practicing on piano?
3) I pause for few seconds while playing some bit tough piece, but the flow is lost, and so the piece does not sound as it is supposed to sound.

Last edited by sharath kumar; 10/24/20 02:06 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What is your daily piano practice routine? And few issues!
sharath kumar #3038801 10/24/20 02:49 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Since the C-19 lockdown, I've been staying home and practicing music 1h a day. Every year I would take time off to visit my parents and leave my keyboard behind since they don't live in the same city.

I'm in a lower intermediate class with several other students in the same class. Right now my teacher is connecting with all her students for an hour a week by computer so music lessons is ongoing. We would make sure the computer is on at the right time and the camera is working to see the teacher doing demos.

There are exercise pieces we need to play including scales & arpeggios out of the Hanon book of 60 exercises and Czerny Etudes. I'd practice 1 Hanon exercise & 1 Czerny Etude a week.

The teacher had a 3-month summer break. During that time I worked on 7 short pieces. Some of these were from the repertoire book recommended by the teacher. I downloaded 4 new pieces to practice on my own. The longest piece I worked on was a Bach fugue in Dm for about 4 min. and took me almost a month to get comfortable playing. Some of the time I'd choose pieces that have a lot of repeated sections so I have less notes to learn. Other times I would play pieces that have no repeats so every section is different.

I'm not good at reading music but getting better at it. I tend to rely on my memory to get through my pieces.

thepianoplayer416 #3038880 10/24/20 10:45 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by sharath kumar
1) Left and Right hand, hand co-ordination, good at right hand, but when i start using my left, i pause many times, may be am making mistakes by taking time to read the notations, and then looking at the keys to know what is what? May be!
It's part of the process that when you learn hands separate then hands together it feels like you're learning it all over again from scratch when you play with both hands. I practice in small chunks hands separate then hands together and just cause I start doing hands together doenst mean I stop hands separate. Such as, if I can play HT I will still play that part HS too. I practice very slow small chunks and it will takes me days to get a small chunk down.

2) Memorizing notations/keys or both Treble and Bass clefs, how have you been memorizing since you started practicing on piano?
I thought I would simply learn the notes and be able to recognize them just from playing but I didn't really more than a handful. What really helped me was using programs specific for sight reading. I use Sight Reading and Harmony and Super Sight Reading Secrets. And doing the most basic drills really help. Such as, simply saying the note name out loud then playing it with index finger. Both of these books slowly build on that and my familiarity with the grand staff improved by far the most with these books.

3) I pause for few seconds while playing some bit tough piece, but the flow is lost, and so the piece does not sound as it is supposed to sound.
[/quote]
Practice it slow, even slower than you think you should. If you don't have it down that day it's normal as after you sleep on it and internalize it'll be better the next day. Don't try to force it or over practice a section. 20 min on a chunk and coming back to that chunk next day is better than 2 hours on that chunk in one day. At least imo.

sharath kumar #3038882 10/24/20 10:53 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I think your difficulties 1 and 3 are normal for a beginner, even intermediate on new pieces. You probably need a practice routine that suits you. Mine is:

First I set weekly goals. Specific things to work on or accomplish.
Warm up, usually scales, hanon or arpeggios or broken chords.
Play something short and easy. Check how the brain, ear and fngers are working.
Work on specific weekly goals.
Technical work, might be chords, scale variations, dynamics, legatio, fingering, trills, etc
Play something for pleasure. Improvisation.

sharath kumar #3039157 10/25/20 08:05 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

Sebs #3039164 10/25/20 08:34 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sebs
It's part of the process that when you learn hands separate then hands together it feels like you're learning it all over again from scratch when you play with both hands. I practice in small chunks hands separate then hands together and just cause I start doing hands together doenst mean I stop hands separate. Such as, if I can play HT I will still play that part HS too. I practice very slow small chunks and it will takes me days to get a small chunk down.

I thought I would simply learn the notes and be able to recognize them just from playing but I didn't really more than a handful. What really helped me was using programs specific for sight reading. I use Sight Reading and Harmony and Super Sight Reading Secrets. And doing the most basic drills really help. Such as, simply saying the note name out loud then playing it with index finger. Both of these books slowly build on that and my familiarity with the grand staff improved by far the most with these books.

Practice it slow, even slower than you think you should. If you don't have it down that day it's normal as after you sleep on it and internalize it'll be better the next day. Don't try to force it or over practice a section. 20 min on a chunk and coming back to that chunk next day is better than 2 hours on that chunk in one day. At least imo.[/quote]

Sebs
Since you now have a teacher, have you discussed your formula for HS then HT while continuing HS with him? I think you should if you haven’t. There may be a way to improve your efficiency so you are not working on one chunk for days... but your teacher would be best to advise based on the music.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
sharath kumar #3039193 10/25/20 10:23 AM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
Piano teacher Faith Maydwell uses the ART MUSIC mnemonic of things to include in a piano lesson. I have made some changes for my own practice sessions but the idea is well grounded.

Aural
"This is priority number one. Is the student hearing the symbols on the page? Reading is more fluent and accurate when the mind can imagine the sound before it arrives."

Repertoire
"The renowned muisc educator, Kodaly, believed only music of the highest artistic value should be used!"

Technique
"It is no good trying to learn wonderful repertoire without the means to play it."

Memory
"Every aspect of music making involves memory. Memorisation is best taught from the beginning. It should not be left to the student so that those for whom memory work comes naturally succeed and the others feel like failures."

Understanding
"This is usually under the heading of general knowledge but I like the word 'understanding' better because it means having a complete picture. It includes any knowledge which helps the student interpret the music better."
This includes the life and times of the composer, his major works, his contemporaries, analysis of the harmony and rhythmic design, etc. as well as all the signs and terms used on the page.

Sight Reading
"This is one of the most useful skills for a musician. Besides its practical value, it enables music to to flow from the fingers."

Improvisation/Composition
"The ability to create music on the spot at the keyboard - something as simple as supplying an accompaniment for a folk tune to making up your own piece or cadenza - is an essential part of learning."

Chords/Harmony
"Because of the nature of the instrument, understanding harmony is essential."

1. Hand coordination
Start with the beat. Get the counting right first, out loud, then add the left hand. Get them both fixed before adding the right hand. You might add just the right hand notes that occur on the down beat, then beat three, then beats two and four, then the off-beat notes, etc.

Practise dancing and clapping to music. Get rhythm in your body first. Group drum classes are good and affordable if you can get access to them.

2. Memorising
If you can't memorise the music in phrases then start with bar and a beat. Divide each phrase into bars (plus the first beat of the next bar) and practise only that and only from memory. Memorise it with and without looking at the keys, with and without looking at the score, with and without eyes closed. Repeat only what you can play from memory. Get to the end of the phrase before concatenating bars in pairs, then fours, etc.

3. Pausing
For the tough bits, fix them first in isolation. Don't play a whole phrase until you can play every fragment well. Don't play whole pieces until you can play every phrase fluently.

Richard
sharath kumar #3040164 10/28/20 05:48 AM
I start my practice at or around 6PM every weekday and go until 8PM.

Current routine:

quick warmup with scales, arpeggios, chords
sightreading 20 min

Then i start working on my piece(s), usually focused work on multiple problematic spots, around 10-15 min per spot, taking a 5min break every 45-60 min. I do that for two pieces a day, the third gets a runthrough to keep it in the fingers and identify issues.

So that for around 1.5 hours. On weekends i usually do two sessions at about 1.5 - 2 hours each, so 3 - 4 hours a day

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission