2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
37 members (Almaviva, cozmopak, carlspost, EPW, composingkeys3, doremi, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 430 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soundbrenner Core Metronome
#3038747 10/23/20 08:22 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Does anyone have this metronome watch? Can you hear the vibrations and Are the vibrations loud?
https://www.soundbrenner.com/core

I have issues trying to listen to the beat of a metronome so was wondering if getting this watch would help? I also struggle with subdividing all the notes to fit into the beats of the metronome.. I have no idea how people can play with the metronome..

Last edited by Prestzie; 10/23/20 08:23 PM.
Re: Soundbrenner Core Metronome
Prestzie #3038865 10/24/20 10:11 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Most digital watches and fitness watches these days accept apps like my Fitbit. For fun I loaded a metronome app but quickly discarded it. Yes it has beats but you can't look at it to watch the beats and still watch music. My Wittner mechanical metronome does the job for me.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Bl├╝thner Model A
Prestzie #3038983 10/24/20 03:22 PM
P
P
I have the Soundbrenner Pulse (the more basic model). My reasoning was that I hoped the haptic stimulation (the "pulse" right against against my wrist) would be more more directly helpful than trying to integrate two auditory sensations (the metronome tick and the music you're trying to play). I think it has merit...but takes a little getting used to at first.

The Pulse (and I assume, the Core) can be used with a downloadable app that gives you a LOT more control. You can set the tempo, time signature, you can divide the beats into, say eighth or sixteenth, etc. notes, and even more complex patterns. (ie. Tah, Tah, Ti-ki, Ti-ki) and even save these patterns to a personal library from which you can reload them for use with particular songs/pieces that you're working on.

When I use it, I wear it on the inside of my right wrist (where I can feel it most clearly). Maintaining a consistent/steady flow/tempo is probably one of my biggest problems but I think when I really want to focus on this, the Soundbrenner Pulse is indeed helpful.

PHC Joe #3039012 10/24/20 04:36 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Can you hear the noise of the vibration and is it loud like a smart phone? Also, what is the battery life like?
How accurate is the vibration? As in if you change it to faster tempo can you still feel like?
Would you recommend this watch over their Soundbrenner metronome app?

Prestzie #3039070 10/24/20 10:33 PM
P
P
Yes, there's a little bit of a buzz...maybe more of a hum. There's probably a little Piezo motor in there that makes it vibrate but it's not loud/annoying. The feeling of the vibration against the wrist is more prominent. IMHO the vibration is very accurate. I imagine if you cranked it way up to 180/200 BPM it would probably be pretty hard to distinguish what was going on, but _I'm_ certainly not going to be playing like that any time soon (and by that point probably wouldn't need a metronome anyway!).

The free/downloadable Soundbrenner metronome app is handy by itself, but really, their unique products are their wearable haptic Pulse/Core devices. The app then becomes a sophisticated controller for the device. I don't think you can do anything beyond turning the "watch" on and off, and turning the bezel left or right to slow down/speed up (On the Pulse, there is actually no readout, so you don't know what the speed actually is unless you are also using the app to connect with it).

I can't really give you a good answer about battery life. I've never had it go dead on my while practicing, but often I'll try to turn it on and find it dead (probably because I forgot to turn it off last time).

Last edited by PHC Joe; 10/24/20 10:33 PM. Reason: left something out
Beemer #3040179 10/28/20 07:39 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by Prestzie
Can you hear the noise of the vibration and is it loud like a smart phone? Also, what is the battery life like?
How accurate is the vibration? As in if you change it to faster tempo can you still feel like?
Would you recommend this watch over their Soundbrenner metronome app?

I can only speak for the Pulse, but I assume the Core will be rather similar. The Core is more like a smartwatch, the Pulse really is just the metronome. As for the Questions:

1. Yes you can definitly hear it buzz when you are quiet, like a smartphone sums it up nicely (though the vibration is a lot stronger). I wear it on my arm though, if you would wear it beneath your clothes, i.e. on your leg or something I don't think you would notice unless it's dead quiet

2. Very accurate, even with subdivisions or complex rythms. There is a certain point though where the beats get hard to distinguish, as example often times I turn of subdivisions when the song is more then 120bpm because I have troubles "feeling" the single beats.

3. Yes, but I would say beyond 120/150 bpm subdivisions get problematic for me. Really depends what you are aiming for

4. The app works as a metronome, so the core function is the same. It's a great app, arguably the best metronome app out there (especially for free). But the hardware device is something completely different, since you don't hear but feel the beat.

Hope this helps, personally I love this thing. Just some word of advice: The core is (kind of) a smartwatch with a tuner. If you don't play a stringed instrument and need a smartwatch (ie. because you already have proper smartwatch) you don't really need it. When it comes down to the metronome, the Pulse does exactly the same thing.

Originally Posted by Beemer
Most digital watches and fitness watches these days accept apps like my Fitbit. For fun I loaded a metronome app but quickly discarded it. Yes it has beats but you can't look at it to watch the beats and still watch music. My Wittner mechanical metronome does the job for me.
Ian

One last remark: This isn't really comparable. The metronome apps I downloaded on my smartwatch all sucked. All they could do was a steady beat and not very precise. No setlist, no subdivision, this was the most basic stuff available. The vibration also isn't very strong on my smartwatch. That might depend on your device, but the vibration on the Soundbrenner is a whole different beast.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
DGX-660: A key in a style playing wrong...
by Kruiser_56 - 11/28/20 09:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,119
Posts3,028,323
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission