2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Your comment is at best patronizing, and at worst insulting. Maybe refrain from make assumptions about the musical experience of other posters?

Why would you feel insulted? Did I say anything about you?

Get a life.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Your comment is at best patronizing, and at worst insulting. Maybe refrain from make assumptions about the musical experience of other posters?

Why would you feel insulted? Did I say anything about you?

Well, maybe after you start playing his music...

You quoted me and then wrote the above. Do you not know how forum posts work?

Get a life.

This was very uncalled for, and unkind.

That seems to be far too common in this forum.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Of course I know how forum posts work. Are you being insulting?

You are free to enjoy whatever music you like, but when you start making statements like Einaudi's music is very pianistic, you start to reveal just how little you know about piano, or what a bad player you are. Einaudi is not a very good piano player, and his writing shows. I'm also extremely mystified how his music got published in the first place, because indeed his "composition" is musically banal and technically awful. My classmates in our high school composition class could have written more interesting music.

You can keep defending his music because you like the way his music sounds. Fine. That is a personal opinion and you are entitled to that. But don't tell me that Einaudi knows what he is doing. That guy is a third-rate hack as a "composer."

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

You are free to enjoy whatever music you like, but when you start making statements like Einaudi's music is very pianistic, you start to reveal just how little you know about piano, or what a bad player you are. Einaudi is not a very good piano player, and his writing shows. I'm also extremely mystified how his music got published in the first place, because indeed his "composition" is musically banal and technically awful. My classmates in our high school composition class could have written more interesting music.

You can keep defending his music because you like the way his music sounds. Fine. That is a personal opinion and you are entitled to that. But don't tell me that Einaudi knows what he is doing. That guy is a third-rate hack as a "composer."

How about if we tone the snark down a bit.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

I was, but I will apologize. Will you?

you start to reveal just how little you know about piano, or what a bad player you are.

Again, this is uncalled for and inappropriate.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
How about if we tone the snark down a bit.

Thank you, Ken.

I recognize that I'm not exactly helping though. My apologies.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
Thanks for posting this link! I'm listening through the album right now, so far I really like her interpretation. Probably more then his own, I wasn't such a fan till now (Actually there are like 2/3 songs by him that I really like). But I think I might be putting her album into the collection.

Funny how Einaudi seems to trigger then envy of so many people. Well I guess it comes with the territory when you are as succesfull as him.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reminder FloRi, I need to figure out a way to listen to the rest of her Einaudi recordings ... I wish it wasn't limited to only Spotify! smirk

As to her interpretations, I really like her version of Le Onde and Uno (I definitely like her Uno better than his!)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Funny how Einaudi seems to trigger then envy of so many people. Well I guess it comes with the territory when you are as succesfull as him.
Envy??

Indifference, dislike, contempt......but I don't detect any envy here.

Incidentally - and very strangely - the OP initially started an identical thread in ABF where all Einaudi's fans are, yet got only two posts:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...e-a-tribute-to-monica-k.html#Post3036845

.......presumably the reason why he then posted here in Pianist Corner, starting another spate of, er, exchanges.

Maybe you (and ShiroKuro) would like to post in that thread and bump it up, to spread the great Italian's cause there? He needs all the help he can get, and you'll do him - and us - a great favor........ smirk

And there are no E detractors in ABF wow whome yippie

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

We are too polite and respectful of other's musical preferences!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Isn't it possible to respect people whose tastes differ from your own? This shouldn't just apply to the self-appointed taste police who try and belittle people and their listening preferences.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

We are too polite and respectful of other's musical preferences!

Sam

3hearts

Politeness and mutual respect are wonderful things, aren't they!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by johnstaf

Isn't it possible to respect people whose tastes differ from your own? This shouldn't just apply to the self-appointed taste police who try and belittle people and their listening preferences.

I'm not talking about people who don't like him. I'm not a big fan either, I just enjoy a few of his pieces. I'm talking about saying things like "he isn't a good composer" or "he isn't a good pianist", because that is pretty obvious nonsense. If you do that, you are masking the true reasons why you don't like him behind a clearly untrue statement. In my experience that is envy 90% of the times.

If you just don't like something, ususally you just react with indifference. If you feel the need to lash out against the people who do like certain things, there is usually more behind hin then a mere difference in taste.

[quote=FloRi89]
Incidentally - and very strangely - the OP initially started an identical thread in ABF where all Einaudi's fans are, yet got only two posts:

Acutally that's neither strange, nor surprising. The title of this thread gives no hint that this is about Einaudi, or Lisitsa. It's very unlikely that people read every post here, they pick what they think is interesting based on the title.
Unsurprisingly the haters also didn't comment on this thread, because nobody would ever know the topic is Einaudi in the first place. If the other thread would have had the same title, it would have gotten the same reactions.

Last edited by FloRi89; 10/29/20 04:41 AM.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not talking about people who don't like him. I'm not a big fan either, I just enjoy a few of his pieces. I'm talking about saying things like "he isn't a good composer" or "he isn't a good pianist", because that is pretty obvious nonsense. If you do that, you are masking the true reasons why you don't like him behind a clearly untrue statement. In my experience that is envy 90% of the times.

If you just don't like something, ususally you just react with indifference. If you feel the need to lash out against the people who do like certain things, there is usually more behind hin then a mere difference in taste.

Judging someone as "not a good composer" proceeds from the same principle as ranking composers, which is done all the time. Thus one is estimating having the ability to judge if one composer is better or greater than another one. That is the same principle as evaluating that Ludivico E is a lesser composer than others. I dont think there is any envy in there, just the natural tendancy of applying a scale of values.

Not liking a composer and evaluating him are 2 different things, but reality is many people combine the two to some extent, often times unconsciously. And after all it would be odd if one would say that he/she loves a composer and yet consider his music as poor .... (but I am sure they exist !).

Blüthner model 6
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think it's fine (and often interesting) to talk about the relative merits/talents etc. of one composer or another. And it's certainly fine to talk about whether one finds someone's interpretation of a piece is compelling or not etc.

But as has been mentioned, with Einaudi, and in this thread and the thread that got locked, the level of meanness is just off the charts. And it has been directed not only at the composer himself but also at anyone who listens to or plays his music. That really gets in the way of having interesting discussions (to say the least!)

For example, it has been implied that Lisitsa made the recording purely for money making purposes. It's actually possible to discuss and even debate possibility that without it devolving into nastiness.... I have actually been thinking about that (whether she made the recordings solely for money or not) and given that the recordings are so far only available on Spotify (and not on iTunes, Amazon, or for sale on her site) I can only conclude that making money was not the goal (or at least not the main goal)

Another detail that was missed in this thread, that I only just learned recently, is that Lisitsa has recorded a 2-cd album of music by Philip Glass. So it might actually be possible that she (gasp) actually likes Einaudi's music.

These details are far more interesting when we can discuss them in a friendly manner....

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Lisitsa also recorded an album of Michael Nyman's music a few years ago - which is similar music. So she has a history of recording music that is non-traditional. No big surprise that she would record Einaudi, I think.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
B
B
I have actually been thinking about that (whether she made the recordings solely for money or not) and given that the recordings are so far only available on Spotify (and not on iTunes, Amazon, or for sale on her site) I can only conclude that making money was not the goal (or at least not the main goal)

Another detail that was missed in this thread, that I only just learned recently, is that Lisitsa has recorded a 2-cd album of music by Philip Glass. So it might actually be possible that she (gasp) actually likes Einaudi's music.
You fail to grasp the point that Einaudi (and Nyman) is not Philip Glass. Not even close.

One is ambient music, the other is minimalism. And there are some other well-known classical pianists who play Glass, including Vikíngur Olafsson, and his orchestral music and operas are also widely performed.

As for whether Lisitsa actually likes Einaudi, she isn't slow to post on YT to talk about her music choices, so if she says she does, she does. So far - she hasn't.
BTW, Einaudi's music is easy enough for any competent pianist to just pick up the score and sight-read straight off, totally accurately and with all due nuances (such as can be applied to Einaudi) without practicing.

If she can make easy money with it, why not? If I was a concert pianist and had all my concerts cancelled since March until next year because of the pandemic, I'd probably do the same........

These details are far more interesting when we can discuss them in a friendly manner....
I really don't understand why you keep on flogging a dead horse with Einaudi here in Pianist Corner, when it's more than obvious that he's regarded at best with indifference by people here. Almost all your posts here are about him and his music, starting with trying to promote his stuff to people asking for rep recommendations (and getting dead silence in response to your Einaudi).

I wouldn't post a thread about Liszt's Études d'exécution transcendante in ABF - most likely I'd get no response, or maybe a polite suggestion to transfer the thread here instead. So why do you keep harping on about Einaudi here - especially having seen what happened to a previous thread, and what's already been posted in this one? What are you hoping to achieve?

Why not start a thread about the recording in ABF instead (as I was gently hinting earlier) if you really want a 'friendly discussion'?? (- as Chrispy's thread seemingly got ignored because of his title).

If music be the food of love, play on!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Bennevis,
You fail to grasp the point that Einaudi (and Nyman) is not Philip Glass.

Good grief, tone it down, please. I don't fail to grasp anything. And I'm well aware of their musical differences. Glass and Einaudi, Winston and Nyman... these composers are frequently discussed together, and rightfully so.

I'm not saying Glass and Einaudi are the same, only that people are so surprised that Lisitsa would record Einaudi, when she's recording other contemporary non-classical composers (and as Sam mentions, Nyman as well, I didn't know that either), and so her recording Einaudi is not at all out of character for her.

I really don't understand why you keep on flogging a dead horse with Einaudi here in Pianist Corner, when it's more than obvious that he's regarded at best with indifference by people here. Almost all your posts here are about him and his music, starting with trying to promote his stuff to people asking for rep recommendations (and getting dead silence in response to your Einaudi).

As I recall (and I might not be recalling correctly) I suggested Einaudi when someone was asking about things to sightread and mentioned modern composers. In any case, I am not going to comb back through my posts and tell you why I posted. I don't believe any of my posts have been inappropriate, and while the anti-Einaudi-ists tend to be the loudest, and thus remain in the memory, several people in the Pianist Corner have responded favorably and written that they went off to go listen to his recordings etc. after reading about him here. So I don't feel the need to justify my participation, or Einaudi-related posts, here in the least.

why do you keep harping on about Einaudi here - especially having seen what happened to a previous thread, and what's already been posted in this one? What are you hoping to achieve

I hope you're not implying that any of this is my responsibility? I did not start either of the Einaudi threads here in the Pianist Corner, I am merely responding. And I certainly hope you don't mean to imply that I don't have the right to post here. Again I am participating in this thread and others, as is my right as a member of PW.

Now, kindly, lay off please, or it will start looking like you're aiming personal attacks at me.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
It's funny how such an "incredibly bad" composer is basically keeping the classical world alive all by his own (https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46861984).

Why not start a thread about the recording in ABF instead (as I was gently hinting earlier) if you really want a 'friendly discussion'?? (- as Chrispy's thread seemingly got ignored because of his title).

That's a high level of gatekeeping, even for classical music. So if something get's posted here that you don't like the poster and everyone doesn't agree with you will be snarked upon and attacked until the thread is closed? Did you know that Einaudi actually seems to be quite humble about his success? Maybe you should take that as an example.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If listening to music inspires you in a positive way or induces a positive feeling inside, how can it be wrong? Why care about who wrote it or how "well" it was written? I see many saying the could write better music. Then do so. I challenge you to make as much money as Einaudi! And maybe that's where the hatred comes from? Jealousy? I don't get it ...

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission