2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
49 members (chopinetto, Boboulus, Carey, anotherscott, Charles Cohen, cozmopak, AWilley, Bruce In Philly, 14 invisible), 431 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: most common non ET temperaments in 2020?
MartF #3038580 10/23/20 10:19 AM
N
N W Offline
N
I was taught that the fundamental was the first harmonic and that the second harmonic was the first partial.....
Have I remembered that right?

Nick, ageing piano technician
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N W #3038585 10/23/20 10:28 AM
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by N W
I was taught that the fundamental was the first harmonic and that the second harmonic was the first partial.....

Greetings,
For clarity, piano techs have usually numbered the "overtone series" beginning with 1 for the fundamental. The fundamental can't be an overtone, and overtones and harmonics are often mixed, interchangeably. Designating the fundamental as the first 'partial' allows us to compute combinations of intervals more easily and avoids the semantic confusion of overtones and harmonics. A guitar player will usually call the first overtone the "harmonic" in that touching the string without fretting at the 12th fret produces the first harmonic.
hence confusion.
Regards,

N W #3038588 10/23/20 10:40 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by N W

That's kinda how I remembered it as well. Until I checked up, for the new "Electronic Tuning" page of my website.

As I understand it now in relation to vibrating strings:

HARMONICS are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. The first integer is 1, so the first harmonic is the fundamental frequency multiplied by 1, which is the fundamental frequency. Harmonics are theoretical numbers.

PARTIALS are the actual frequencies produced, rather than the theoretical harmonics. The First partial is also the Fundamental. The second partial will be near, but not exactly, the value of the second harmonic, etc.

OVERTONES are the partial frequencies ABOVE the fundamental. The First Overtone is the Second Partial. It is possibly best to avoid talking of Overtones at all, in relation to piano technology.

Last edited by David Boyce; 10/23/20 10:41 AM.
MartF #3038590 10/23/20 10:44 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Ah, I was typing at the same time as Ed!

Ed Foote #3038592 10/23/20 10:47 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Originally Posted by VladK
Thanks for sharing all this first hand experience.
Probably the easiest way to compare various temperaments is Pianoteq with any decent digital piano. If only I was good enough to generate any meaningful conclusions by playing it cry
For me any temperament sounds good enough.

Digital pianos do not produce the same partials as an acoustic piano, and the effects of tempering occur between upper partials, not fundamentals. Digital pianos I have heard don't give a very clear image of what WT's are all about

Well most modern digitals use samples of real pianos so they absolutely have the same partials as the acoustic they were sampled from. Modelled pianos will be a bit different (as you can change the inharmonicity factor) but they can still be extremely close to real pianos.

MartF #3038655 10/23/20 01:42 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pyropaul
Well most modern digitals use samples of real pianos so they absolutely have the same partials as the acoustic they were sampled from.
From a theoretical perspective, this is false, because the overtone series is infinite, and piano samples are finite.

From a practical perspective, piano samples may contain all audible overtones. Frequencies beyond the Nyquist limit will be filtered out, as will harmonics at amplitudes below the dynamic range floor of the mics used when sampling. The latter perhaps could lead to audible differences, but I'm not sure. The advertised dynamic range specs of the best mics would suggest audible harmonics should be captured, but the issue is complex.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck.
pyropaul #3038656 10/23/20 01:45 PM
P
P
Well most modern digitals use samples of real pianos so they absolutely have the same partials as the acoustic they were sampled from.
Having the same partials doesn't mean that a digital will function the same as an acoustic piano. With the digital pianos, the partials will just beat. With acoustic pianos, the partials get pulled together. Some tuners sense this as the tone getting "sucked in/together." That effect doesn't happen on the digital piano.

piano tuner
piano411 #3038665 10/23/20 02:08 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
From a theoretical perspective, this is false, because the overtone series is infinite, and piano samples are finite.

From a practical perspective, piano samples may contain all audible overtones. Frequencies beyond the Nyquist limit will be filtered out, as will harmonics at amplitudes below the dynamic range floor of the mics used when sampling. The latter perhaps could lead to audible differences, but I'm not sure. The advertised dynamic range specs of the best mics would suggest audible harmonics should be captured, but the issue is complex.

If you think our ears have infinite bandwidth you're sorely mistaken. I'll grant you the non-linear mixing effect of the human ear drum could potentially introduce intermodulation artifacts from ultrasonic partials but I suspect these are below the noise floor of the ear anyway.

Originally Posted by piano411
Having the same partials doesn't mean that a digital will function the same as an acoustic piano. With the digital pianos, the partials will just beat. With acoustic pianos, the partials get pulled together. Some tuners sense this as the tone getting "sucked in/together." That effect doesn't happen on the digital piano.

Good point about the Weinrich effect - but this occurs during tuning, no? Once a note is tuned, all the sympathetic locking is, well, locked in. I would posit that in a blind trial of a piano tuned in ET and then retuned in software to a WT would be indistinguishable from the same piano tuned to exactly the same WT first - with both then played back through the same audio chain.

David Boyce #3038666 10/23/20 02:18 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Originally Posted by N W

That's kinda how I remembered it as well. Until I checked up, for the new "Electronic Tuning" page of my website.

As I understand it now in relation to vibrating strings:

HARMONICS are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. The first integer is 1, so the first harmonic is the fundamental frequency multiplied by 1, which is the fundamental frequency. Harmonics are theoretical numbers.

PARTIALS are the actual frequencies produced, rather than the theoretical harmonics. The First partial is also the Fundamental. The second partial will be near, but not exactly, the value of the second harmonic, etc.

OVERTONES are the partial frequencies ABOVE the fundamental. The First Overtone is the Second Partial. It is possibly best to avoid talking of Overtones at all, in relation to piano technology.

Partials are the components you get when decomposing the waveform into simple wave components, each of a single frequency. You need both frequency (term in the Fourier series) and amplitude (coefficient of the term in the Fourier series) to describe a partial.

There can be many more partials than just the principal and harmonics of a single wave vibrating in a plane. For instance, piano notes with 2 or 3 strings experience interference between the strings, and sympathetic resonance of undamped strings, which gives rise to a set of partials significantly more complex than just the harmonic series of a single vibrating string.

MartF #3038686 10/23/20 03:41 PM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Good points, thank you.

pyropaul #3038689 10/23/20 03:50 PM
P
P
Good point about the Weinrich effect - but this occurs during tuning, no? Once a note is tuned, all the sympathetic locking is, well, locked in.
It's been a long time since I read his lectures on piano acoustics. I'd have to go reread them to see how they apply.

So in one respect, yes sympathetic locking occurs at the time of tuning. There is a difference if you resonate a single note alone while tuning, vs. resonating other intervals together while tuning the note. It all will produce different results. But, even after it is set, there is still a "pull" on each note. So a C, if used as a root (of a chord), 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc. on an acoustic piano will get pulled in different directions when measured. C doesn't just stay in a fixed place and "beat" like a digital piano. There are literal shifts that take place based on what is resonating. This can be measured. Ideally, the tuner will tune the piano in such as way there is maximum flexibility in this respect. That allows the piano to sound more in tune with itself, but it also allows it sing more. For those that are familiar with the "bell-like resonance" of the golden age of pianos and tuning, this is what is going on.

piano tuner
MartF #3038751 10/23/20 08:51 PM
M
MartF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by P W Grey
I regularly use EBVT as a starting point

Thanks Peter, that's this one isn't it? Oddly I can't find it on rollingball.com.

Originally Posted by LemonColor
No one has ever asked me for a non ET. They just want me to tune the piano.

That's what I was expecting most people to say :-)

Originally Posted by P W Grey
My personal favorite is Thomas Young's rules from 1799 for personal taste with a C-E 3rd at about 5 bps.

Is that Young's first or second temperament? And now I'm not sure if that's your preference or EBVT is!

Originally Posted by N W
He said "Good Lord, no! Those tunings only work on harpsichords because there's no sustain...my piano would sound ghastly".

Right, and I know some others prefer ET too. I wonder if he tried it or just imagined how bad it would be!

Originally Posted by RonTuner
only 2 people that were knowledgeable have asked for ET, so I tune a mild Well temperament on everything.

I like that approach! If you don't ask, you get WT. Next time, if they don't specify, maybe try La Monte Young's "The Well-Tuned Piano" :-)

there are others that have found the WT tracks better with guitars.

Interesting. Maybe it's because guitars are often poorly tempered! Some slight differences between instruments probably makes it sounds more.. human.

truetemperament.com make squiggly fret WT guitar necks. Reviewers/bloggers think it's ET with better intonation, which it is (straight frets don't quite work as each string bends sharp a different amount when fretted).

But it's also a WT inspired by Bradley Lehman's Bach temperament. This used to be on their website (and can be found via archive.org), but now they're more vague about it. My hunch is explaining WT was confusing to customers. They still list the offsets from ET on their How to tune page though.

There's also evidence that EVH and Frusciante tuned the B string down to get pure major thirds (though in Frusciante's case it's not clear if it was intentional).

given the rarity of amateur players that are comfortable playing in 5 sharps, the WT increases the overall consonance

I'm a complete newbie, and the first two pieces I decided to try.. one had 6 flats and the other 5 sharps!

to my surprise, have several very professional jazz pianists that have come to fell ET is bland and uninteresting.

Yes that's what started me on this journey - sometimes picking up the guitar and feeling everything sounds bland. I'd be interested to know what these jazz pianists use, and whether they talk about it, or if it's their "secret sauce". I wonder what e.g. Nina Simone, Monk and the other greats used, and how much they understood about temperaments.

I've heard it said by Bill Bremmer that "Reverse Well" is the most common temperament wink

Is that similar to the unwell?

MartF, musicians seem to be using whatever they get, whether they like it or not.

Absolutely. In 20 or 50 years time, maybe digital pianos will come with a different default, and that will then be what most people use.

Here is one cool hint from his own manuscript

Thank you, I'm familiar with larips.com but hadn't seen those articles before.

Originally Posted by kpembrook
With UT, the partials don't line up the same way and as a result have a dissonance in the higher coincident partials.

Isn't this true of ET as well? I think you're making a good point, but I'm not sure I understand it.

I tried doing the EBVT for my customer with the most discriminating ear ... he said he "hadn't noticed anything different".

Maybe he's drawn to other aspects of the sound and tuning?

If only I was good enough to generate any meaningful conclusions by playing it ... for me any temperament sounds good enough.

Um I think you just came to your own meaningful conclusion :-)

If you want to experiment though, I would go straight to pure/just intonation, meantone or quarter tones arabic-style. Get familiar with something really different. Try a 7/4 "harmonic 7th" like Michael Harrison for example.

I think people should be able to set their own standards, but I think that it should be done with full-disclosure so that there can be a kind of informed consent.

Yes, I get the impression temperaments are not part of most people's musical education, and therefore many don't realise alternatives even exist.

MartF #3038759 10/23/20 09:34 PM
I just entered the world of temperaments when my first tuning on my brand new August Forster 215 resulted in a different sound than I was accustomed - so much so that I had the piano retuned to a second temperament and am quite pleased now. Below are the tuner's notes:

First tuning -

Tuning style followed the pattern found: Sharp 4-2 tuning in bass, excessive stretch
In the 7th octave(6-3 bass and modified 4-1 tuning were used in the 7th octave used by me
double octave 4ths and 5ths in the middle of the piano)
Established pitch at 443 Hz(1st tuning)
Fine tuned to A=443 Hz(2nd tuning)

Second tuning-

Tuning style: OTS 3, 8/4 bass .5 cent treble octaves, 7th & 8th octaves: 2/1
Established pitch at 443 Hz(1st tuning)
Fine tuned to A=443 Hz(2nd tuning)

Which of the two styles above are more common?

August Förster 215
blueviewlaguna. #3038761 10/23/20 10:04 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by blueviewlaguna.
blueviewlaguna, those are notes about how the octaves are stretched. That's different from temperament. A temperament is how the notes between the octaves are divided.

It seems like that information applies to a specific software. For example, I don't know what "OTS 3" stands for.

piano tuner
pyropaul #3038770 10/24/20 12:02 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck

If you think our ears have infinite bandwidth you're sorely mistaken.
I don't think I said that, nor that our ears have infinite dynamic range, which I think is what you were trying to say. I don't think the tone of the SK-EX patch in my DP sounds identical to an SK-EX. There are audible differences. But as I said, from a practical perspective, piano samples may contain all audible overtones, but I'm not sure. Were you planning to offer any rigorous analysis to substantiate your claim that they are identical, even within the audible limits of human hearing?

piano411 #3038786 10/24/20 01:15 AM
blueviewlaguna, those are notes about how the octaves are stretched. That's different from temperament. A temperament is how the notes between the octaves are divided.

It seems like that information applies to a specific software. For example, I don't know what "OTS 3" stands for.

Thanks for the clarification - I do recall my tech advising that he was changing from "favoring fifths" to "favoring thirds". The interesting part is that I had my previous Schimmel grand tuned by a different tech and I never took issue with how the tuning sounded.

August Förster 215
blueviewlaguna. #3038847 10/24/20 08:52 AM
P
P
I do recall my tech advising that he was changing from "favoring fifths" to "favoring thirds".
Oh, well, that does sound like unequal temperament language! It sounds like they are moving from a well temperament to meantone temperament. But, meantone is very harsh in the extended key areas. Basically it doesn't work. I'd be surprised if that is really what they did.

Did you ask for an unequal temperament or anything special? Does the tuner know what kind of music you play?

piano tuner
piano411 #3038852 10/24/20 09:13 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I do recall my tech advising that he was changing from "favoring fifths" to "favoring thirds".
Oh, well, that does sound like unequal temperament language! It sounds like they are moving from a well temperament to meantone temperament. But, meantone is very harsh in the extended key areas. Basically it doesn't work. I'd be surprised if that is really what they did.

Did you ask for an unequal temperament or anything special? Does the tuner know what kind of music you play?

No, that comment just relates to the stretch. The second tuning (referencing OTS) used Reyburn Cyber Tuner and the first tuning is cryptic enought to possibly be the notes from an aural tuning or perhaps Tunelab? If it was an aural tuning, then it is possible that the temperament was also skewed.

Ron Koval

MartF #3038896 10/24/20 11:27 AM
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
With UT, the partials don't line up the same way and as a result have a dissonance in the higher coincident partials.

Isn't this true of ET as well? I think you're making a good point, but I'm not sure I understand it.

No. This is something that can be empirically observed. Actually, it's a function of the inharmonicity of piano wire which results in the the higher partials being sharp to whole number multiples (see ample discussion above about harmonics, partials and overtones). So, the widened thirds of ET put the higher partials "in tune" at the expense of a few beats at the fundamental or lower partials. The other tunings try for "purer" intervals but the "pure" in practice is at the fundamental or lower partial level, thus leaving the higher partials less consonant. So, the more "consonant" intervals a given tuning has the more those intervals will not be consonant at higher coincident partials. So, it's not about UT as a concept, per se. It's that the more untempered or less-tempered thirds there are, the more out-of-tune higher coincident partials there will be.

The way I learned setting the temperament from Travis's book doesn't involve counting beats. (Who can really count--or even estimate-- whether a particular third is 6.2 bps or 6.1, anyway?). I tune the thirds so that the upper partials "line up" and then the beat rates will be correct (or acceptable, or closely matching somebody's theory). The test is that 3 stacked thirds should equal an octave and that's what I get.

On a separate "note" (so-to-speak cool ), I'd like to bring back something I had mentioned before regarding the usage of electronic devices to "measure" what we are doing. I gained a helpful term from Brian Capleton's Theory and Practice of Piano Tuning (and I confess I haven't read all 680 pages yet). Capleton's term to describe "what we hear" is "soundscape". Electronic devices (at least not yet) do not measure the soundscape in its entirety but rather extract a single aspect of that soundscape and presents that information in some sort of display or definable quantity. The complex interactions and events of multiple-note chords (even basic two-note intervals) remains to be explored and described using scientific devices. (Not saying it can't happen -- just that it hasn't yet). My comment here is in regard to people incorrectly using what is reported by measuring devices as somehow "correct" and "true" when, in fact, they are still operating at more of a Middle Ages level in comparison to the richness perceived by the human ear even though we can't attach numerical quantities to our perceptions. Hearing is nonetheless valid.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
MartF #3038901 10/24/20 11:35 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Nice points. Capleton's book is quite something, isn't it. I really like your last two sentences above - we have yet to see a recital delivered to an audience of appreciative Electronic Tuning Devices.....

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,023
Posts3,026,772
Members99,361
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission