2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
72 members (b4xter, bobrunyan, dhull100, clothearednincompo, Cutec, 36251, brendon, 24 invisible), 442 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lesson scheduling *SERVICE*
#3037723 10/20/20 11:37 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Forget the apps. Forget the websites. Forget the software that automates all your lessons.

I've been a music teacher on and off for 25 years, and the receptionist at a music school for nearly a decade. I know all the problems that come with running a home studio - invoicing, scheduling, policies. I've learned that I'm good at enforcing/handling those things, and I enjoy it.

Would people be interested in not a software platform, but an actual service (A REAL PERSON) that handles your home studio schedule? Is this a service teachers would be interested in paying for?

I have about a decade as an office manager in a private music school, and I feel we provide excellent value in the office letting teachers just TEACH. Our current environment has shown us how much can be done online/virtually. Combining the two has led me to this idea.

Is anyone else doing it? Would anyone be interested?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Lesson scheduling *SERVICE*
scotpgot #3037881 10/21/20 12:07 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
What nation are you located in, Scott? It might fly if a teacher were running a school, or had a zillion students, or were not very organized by nature. I've never heard of it, but there's no reason it could not work.

However, your idea also comes across as advertising, and as such belongs elsewhere on PianoWorld.

scotpgot #3037948 10/21/20 09:07 AM
M
M
I prefer not to "just teach" but also oversee the other aspects of maintaining a personal relationship with the student/family, in addition to the business and educational. My piano technician has (or had) someone managing his schedule but he has lots more clients that he sees less often vs. I have fewer clients that I see more often.

The examples you listed of problems (invoicing, scheduling, policies) relate to existing clients. What about marketing and promotion, in order to attract new clients that will become existing clients? A service that finds clients for the teacher AND schedules them and bills and collects their tuition...sounds like a school.

mostlystrings #3038027 10/21/20 12:33 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks so much for the replies!

Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
What nation are you located in, Scott? It might fly if a teacher were running a school, or had a zillion students, or were not very organized by nature. I've never heard of it, but there's no reason it could not work.

However, your idea also comes across as advertising, and as such belongs elsewhere on PianoWorld.

Hi Peter. I'm in the U.S. I suppose it's just a reflection of my own personal experience, but I have found those who teach tend to have the artist personality, and by nature are either not organized or don't enjoy the structured nature of dealing with scheduling and invoicing. Which brings us to your next, perfectly valid point...

I can totally see it's on the border, so to speak. My argument would be 1) it's NOT the point of the post to advertise anything. I'm really just trying to see if this is something people would be interested in. And, 2) There's no product, website, service that even exists yet. So technically it couldn't even BE an advertisement. :P

Originally Posted by mostlystrings
I prefer not to "just teach" but also oversee the other aspects of maintaining a personal relationship with the student/family, in addition to the business and educational. My piano technician has (or had) someone managing his schedule but he has lots more clients that he sees less often vs. I have fewer clients that I see more often.

The examples you listed of problems (invoicing, scheduling, policies) relate to existing clients. What about marketing and promotion, in order to attract new clients that will become existing clients? A service that finds clients for the teacher AND schedules them and bills and collects their tuition...sounds like a school.

Thanks, mostlystrings. Someone else I was speaking to brought up the idea of marketing as well. It's certainly worth some thought. My reluctance is that if we're fans of "stick to what you know" and what you're good it - my expertise would be the structured nature of scheduling and invoicing, and not the cheerleader/extrovert nature of marketing.

Last edited by scotpgot; 10/21/20 12:33 PM.
scotpgot #3038071 10/21/20 02:36 PM
R
R
The to me is similar to private tutors vs tutoring agencies.
For the consumer, the tradeoff is convenience vs quality. For the teacher, the tradeoff is convenience vs income.

The thing is, unlike academic tutors, where it's usually short term arrangements, teaching/learning an instrument is a much longer term relationship.
So the value of that convenience is lower.

scotpgot #3038091 10/21/20 04:02 PM
M
M
Imagine this: a prospective student contacts me and I say, you must contact my scheduler person to get on my calendar.

Nope, as a sole proprietor teacher, I should start the (potential) relationship myself. But I have to check with my scheduler person to ensure I don't get myself overbooked? Or if I'm teaching in my physical home studio (suitable precautions or pandemic has subsided), then I'm waiting for my third party scheduler person to tell me when a student can come to my own house? That's too much middleman.

Contrast with working for a school: the school finds "my" students and provides my teaching location (or I'm still online because of pandemic). Students start their relationship with *the school* not with me. I would put a tutoring agency in this category.

Also, marketing is different for an online service/activity vs. an in-person service/activity. You're right about sticking to what one knows though; I have no plans to bother with online marketing, and if I were promoting myself for new in-person students, I should know the quirks of my local market better than a third party elsewhere would. I hope to ride out the pandemic with students who have been with me for years and years. The "future normal" of growing my studio is unknown but I'm not thinking about it yet.

scotpgot #3038119 10/21/20 06:44 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Like a secretary?

Last night, my husband was trying to call a plumber and twice got a call center. Is that what you're talking about?

Learner
scotpgot #3038622 10/23/20 12:28 PM
I usually run 20-30 ish students, at my home studio and at a private school. The school does most of my set up- I get whatever students sign-up for the time they want available. School takes very little overhead, and I get free recital hall and free printing. And, free coffee!

For my home studio, knock on wood, I have not had issues with payments or changing schedules. I do not advertise- word-of-mouth only. Relationships and recommendations have served me well. Most of my home studio parents attend each lesson and fold practice into their daily home life.

If you pay for a semester up front, I waive the supply fee.

Set price per month. Handwritten receipts.

I keep a full inventory of books and have an extensive lending library. Students can buy books from me for usually less than on-line. I keep track of what to buy at a local music store that has teacher discount days.

When I offer a schedule, I give 3-4 choices. That is it. I tell the parents that I teach every day. (true)(well, not weekends, anymore).

My policy states that they are paying for the time slot.

It does take some organization, but I gleaned LOTS from this website and reading many policy pages on-line.

We even had a brief chapter on studio policies in my college piano pedagogy class.

Go MAK attack!

All that to say, I am not in need of such a service, but if I ever really go crazy and expand my studio...maybe...but prolly still not.

Keep working on the idea, though. If a teacher has multiple locations, instruments, needs help, if could be helpful.

Learning as I teach.
scotpgot #3038643 10/23/20 01:20 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Scot
I suspect that piano techs might find this service useful—- as their clients change every day and repeat irregularly, rather than at a set interval. You could also handle their reminder calls

Just a thought.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Service Galaxy & Ivory sales
by newer player - 11/26/20 03:25 PM
Pulling the trigger
by Cutec - 11/26/20 01:48 PM
Interesting alternative to a DP: a 110 lb acoustic piano
by anotherscott - 11/26/20 12:44 PM
Fingers banging into sheet-music shelf/desk
by pdavidow - 11/26/20 12:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,063
Posts3,027,443
Members99,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission