2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
30 members (Buzz209, doremi, adamjh, jmiley97302, DaEgg, Eli26, 9 invisible), 430 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Essex EUP-123 year 2018 is equivalent to what kind of piano?
#3038287 10/22/20 11:09 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I don´t know how to compare it to any brand of others pianos.... Is it the same thing that a cheaper Yamaha upright piano ? Please, help me ! I'm a student and i also don't know if the Essex has the resistance of many hours of playing per day, would the necessity of repairing it come soon ? THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION !

Re: Essex EUP-123 year 2018 is equivalent to what kind of piano?
Jorge Luiz #3038304 10/22/20 12:16 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
The Essex is a good piano in its price range, but there are better pianos available for the same price or less (Irmler, Hailun, Ritmuller).

If you're buying a piano to play for many hours a day, and you're doing heavy conservatory-type practice, I don't think the Essex is for you, or any of the cheaper pianos. You need something more robust and if you can afford it go for a Yamaha or Kawai, or a German piano. Try to get something recently built, if you can stick to instruments less than 10 years old. Sometimes you can find pianos older than that, which will work well, but it's probably better that you call a good piano technician in your area and ask what might be available for sale.

Does anyone on this forum know who the tuners are in Brazil?

Jorge Luiz #3038320 10/22/20 01:05 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Joseph, you're coment was so helpful! You've saved me, there is few information about that piano in Brazil, so I'm very thankful for your help and tips. I'm really trying to find a good tuner... thank you for asking.

Jorge Luiz #3038327 10/22/20 01:39 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've been around a decent number of them, as well as their similarly-priced Boston 118 "equivalents", in institutional, teaching, and practice room usage. They both seem to be holding up acceptably well, which suggests they'd be fine for just about any normal home usage. I do tend to like the Boston 118 better for a rounder tone in a smaller space, and the Essex 123 for a brighter tone and more projection. Also note both models come in different cabinet styles (institutional, with the wide music desk and larger casters, or traditional).

Joseph's comment is worth noting: how do you intend to use it? A few hours a day as a beginner or intermediate is different than really demanding or intense high-level repertoire by a conservatory student.

Since you're asking about Yamaha, they would compare with something like the P22 or B3 in my mind. A new U1 would probably be a better piano, but it also costs significantly more.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Jorge Luiz #3038340 10/22/20 02:14 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi terminaldegree, i'm so thankful about your coment, i play about 5 hours a day. I think that your comparasion with Yamaha's pianos P22 and B3 suggests that Essex is also good and durable, am i right ? My main problem is the metallic sound of the piano gets over the time. There is a brazilian brand of pianos that the older (10 or more years old) pianos has the sound LIKE hapsischord (just for comparison, I'm exaggerating about it) so i'm searching for a soft sound wich resists over the time. But here in Brazil there's few sort of pianos, for an example, i've never found a Yamaha P22 or B3. So your comparation is good to me, because i have some ideas of what should i compare and buy a piano like of you recomendation. Thank you.

Jorge Luiz #3038348 10/22/20 02:24 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
OK so you're looking for a piano that holds up to a heavy workload. All pianos become metallic over time as the hammer heads compress, and the only advice I can give you there is to have the technician voice the hammer heads to be as soft as possible without destroying the hammer, and that way you'll get a bit more life out of them in terms of how long it takes to make them metallic. After a few years you'll need to have the hammer heads re-shaped and re-voiced anyway, to bring back the softer sound after all the practice you do.

Kawai pianos tend to have a softer sound than Yamahas, although that's not an absolute because there are now many warm sounding Yamahas. I'm personally still not convinced an Essex piano would be up to the task of being a music student's practice piano, but if terminaldegree has said they're OK, he knows more from a technical point of view than I do.

Every piano that endures a lot of practice requires regular servicing, and the general consensus is that the cheaper the piano, the more servicing it requires, so keep that in mind.

If you can afford a Yamaha U1, take our advice and buy one. It'll hold its value better as well should you need to sell it.

Jorge Luiz #3038356 10/22/20 02:44 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you so much for your answer, Joseph ! I understood, about the metallic sound, it comes for any piano over the time. Thank you for your recomendations about Kawai or Yamaha U1, sure, they are one of the best deals.
I think that's good you two have "diferent" opinions about the Essex, because here in Brazil that's the same discussion. Althought it's clear that an Essex EUP-123 is better than my current piano, because the Essex is 16 years younger than mine. If its resistance or "sound capacity" is doubtful, i mean, it is not so clear for pianists and experts, It's better i look more the Yamaha's pianos.

Jorge Luiz #3038363 10/22/20 03:00 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jorge’ - Essex pianos are made in China under the Steinway “sponsored” Brands. Boston is also a Steinway sponsored brand made in Japan by Kawai. To me, I like the Boston over the Essex but it’s a bit more expensive. I don’t know what the market’s like in your area but a used studio upright like a Yamaha U1 or U3, Kawai K300 or K500 or a Boston studio model should meet your needs assuming you invest in a piano tech’s inspection on condition. You need to take your time and try as many pianos as you can to really figure out what you like and what you don’t. Best Wishes on your search.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Jorge Luiz #3038369 10/22/20 03:29 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello j&j, thank you for your informative answer !
I talked with a salesman and he propoused: a new ritmuller UP-121 or a new Yamaha Ju109 or the Essex UP-123. What do you, everyone, think about it ? Which one is more trustworth to make a great deal ? Thank you for all support. Everyone participation are being amazing !

Jorge Luiz #3038373 10/22/20 03:40 PM
K
K
As much as I like the quality of Yamaha pianos in general, ju109 being only 109cm tall is not in the same league as the other two, so I’m afraid it is lacking in tone and touch. However, I haven’t seen it in person so someone else could confirm this. As a bare minimum, I’d go for a P series Yamaha.

Last edited by K8KT; 10/22/20 03:42 PM.
Jorge Luiz #3038379 10/22/20 03:52 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
If these are the only three pianos you're looking at, forget about the Yamaha. It won't be good enough for your needs at all. The Ritmüller and the Essex are probably of a similar quality and between the two I would go for the piano that you enjoy playing the most.

Jorge Luiz #3038396 10/22/20 04:38 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Great suggestions ! For a while, i'll think about it and soon i tell you what was the end of this history hahaha

Joseph Fleetwood #3038397 10/22/20 04:38 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
If these are the only three pianos you're looking at, forget about the Yamaha. It won't be good enough for your needs at all. The Ritmüller and the Essex are probably of a similar quality and between the two I would go for the piano that you enjoy playing the most.

Exactly! Both the Ritmuller and Essex are taller uprights so either should work. Pick the one with the sound and playing experience you enjoy the most. Best Wishes! Keep us posted on what you get and please post pictures when it’s delivered. We all love looking at people’s pianos and sharing the excitement!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Jorge Luiz #3038542 10/23/20 07:16 AM
Hi Jorge, welcome to PW! I don't know if I can be of any assistance to you, but let's give it a try, shall we?

1) As you are located in S. Paulo, you have the better options not only to find a decent piano but also a good technician, just take it easy and start searching without any hurry. Also, I happen to know all the best dealears and if you want more info, please email me privately;

2) You mention an Essex 123 from 2018. Since Brazilian official Steinway representative, Gluck Pianos, is forever closed, I am afraid they no longer offer guarantees by the firm, and perhaps the one of the original buyer might not be transferable to you. You did not mention how much is being asked for it, but we know that new Steinway pianos are sold in Brazil with no less than 105% tax over company US price. So, unless you have a HUGE discount, I don't see it as a good choice, compared to better models from brands that practice a more competitive pricing over here;

3) Have you considered any lightly used Kawai K-200, or K-300, or Yamaha U1? Even a Kawai K-25 in very good condition would be a nicer piano for you;

4) Ritmüllers are sort of new in the market. We do not know from their endurance so far, but if properly voiced they can have a nice tone. But I would still go with Kawai, Yamaha or, possibly, a finely restored Brazil or Essenfelder. If you are lucky enough, you could have a wonderful piano for a bargain;

5) You seem to be looking for an upright. I understand you now own a F. Dobbert or, possibly, a Schwartzman. Indeed, they can be worst than the worst nightmare of a honky tonky piano. But why not considering a used grand? Or you preference is only for new or almost new pianos? If not, perhaps you could also find a Brazil or Essenfelder in good condition, for the price of a Ritmuller upright. After all, we are not talking of your lifetime piano, are we? If just for practice, these could be very good options. But I had a wonderful and uforgettable Essenfelder, with a gorgeous bass section. And I have played one or two Brazils that are truly remarkable. Besides, you can progressively improve your piano, as you have more cash: new hammers, action, strings, etc. in a scheduled expense program.

6) Private sellers in Brazil normally know almost nothing about the instruments they are trying to sell. And many techs are not so specialized in construction aspects. So, it could be a no go buying without a thorough inspection. Dealers have a reputation to maintain and are legally binded to the guarantees they must offer; I would demand a formal document of purchase with it included just in case;

6) Finally, depending on the dealer, they also take care of transporting and tuning the instrument.

Wish you good luck in your quest. And be aware of scams and s...ty dealers from olx or ml.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Jorge Luiz #3038543 10/23/20 07:22 AM
Disclaimer: I am not a dealer and have no relation to any dealer whatsoever, anywhere.

Last edited by Fluxo; 10/23/20 07:22 AM.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Jorge Luiz #3038545 10/23/20 07:25 AM
Correction: the piano brand is Brasil with an S, not Brazil with Z.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Fluxo #3038575 10/23/20 10:09 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello Fluxo, i'm glad your answer and tips.
1)Sure, that's what i'm doing: seraching and getting prices and discoverying new piano stores in SP, it's too sad tha gluck closed its doors, because i would problably try to buy with them;
2)That's a good point. The price is really good, but the garanties that the quality over time and at the moment of selling it in the future (if necessary) i think that it would be a problem for me, thank you for that advice;
3) I didnt't found anyone selling used Kawais or Yamahas U models. Only new models;
4) Great tip, i also don't know what to expect from ritmuller piano over the time;
5) I would rather the uprights pianos, but i really afraid of buying the used and old pianos because of the conservation factor, despite they were too cheaper than the new ones, i don't understand how a old piano can be better than a new one costing the half of price of the new, i think that is too cheaper because they have bad mobile conservation or mechanicals problems that salesman doesn't tells me.
6) That's true, most of deallers don't know about Essex models, so i don't have trustworthy informations, i only have the forum tips and that's being great, thank you !
7) Sure, i'm' also dealing it, i got only the transport free, but i think if i get the ritmuller or a new piano i can get the tunning +transport.

In fact, i'm not dealing with OLX or ML salesmen, but i'm' thankful to your warning about it.

Jorge Luiz #3038581 10/23/20 10:19 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have a Fritz Dobbert 126 very well conserved it has 18 years old. I bought it in the begging of this year, when i asked some tuners to entonate it, they said that the mettalic sound is the characterist of the brand, i'm tlaking about great tuners who said it.
People, do you think that a Essex EUP-123 2018 can't solve my problem ? Will it have the same problem soon ?
I also don't' like the dinamics of Fritz Dobbert because it's very hard to make crescendos, pianissimos and even piano playing, i'm sorry if there is a fritz dobbert dealer here, but that is my opinion.
I was talking with other store and they offered me for a great price an almost new Suzuki AU100 or a 1980 upright Hillbert piano, but with very well conserved hammers, but the keyboard is a little bit yellow, i don't like the yellow keyboard, but if you guys say that Hillbert is a good and trustwhorty brand of piano, i would cogitate buy it.
That Suzuki or Hillbert are very cheapper than the Essex or Ritmuller or Yamaha Ju-109. What do you, people of the forum, think about that ? I'm thinking to schedule with some stores to test that pianos.
If it really happens, i'll tell you what i saw and noticed about that pianos.

Jorge Luiz #3038630 10/23/20 12:43 PM
Jorge, you did not mention your budget limits, so I have no idea about your possibilities. But provided this K-300 in the link below is in a good condition (from the pics it looks great) the price would be really cheap (around 7.859 US dollars), and it stays in... S. Paulo. Worth a try, don't you think? Bring your tech together and negotiate with the seller, for in this pandemic times, you could get something even close to 20% discount...

Anyway, the serial number on the picture says it was made in 2020!!! A brand new one costs at least 40% more... Unless it has something very bad with it, it would be a very good deal... Kawai's Millenium II Action is a must item for piano player.

Make sure you take note of the serial number and have it tracked in all of the stages of the process, just in case you try it...

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br..._id=8ec7f021-8160-474a-90cd-31771208f818

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission