2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (EPW, Fer15, composingkeys3, cozmopak, doremi, CraiginNZ, Gord Webster, JB_PW, 8 invisible), 456 guests, and 444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai es920 - record onto Android Smartphone
#3037897 10/21/20 03:51 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi All,

I want to record video/audio from my digital piano (kawai es920) onto my Android Smartphone (sony with usb c ). The phone has USB audio capabilities but from what I can tell is not fully certified as USB OTG.

I don't want to use the external built in mic on the phone (or an external mic). Also, I want to avoid recording onto the onboard USB recording on the Kawai (as this would mean then combining with the camera video). Any recommended method people us please? (I've done a search but want updated opinions if any please and have differents caveats, so hope thats ok)

Also, I have a camera tripod, can anyone recommend any smartphone adapters to hold the phone?

I have looked at the Roland GO mixer but want to avoid the cost if possible.

I thought about trying a ttrs 3.5mm jack cable from the piano into the headphone socket of the phone but then couldn't monitor the sound (unless I got a splitter which would then make it mono ? - or would it be mono in any case?? )

Thanks!

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Kawai es920 - record onto Android Smartphone
big-vern #3038096 10/21/20 04:29 PM
C
C
I would definitely use the internal sound recording, and combine it with the video later. That would give the best quality, since there’s no analog step. Record on the phone too, align the two soundtracks in your AV software by aligning your first peak. That way you can even record speaking on the phone, then fade to the internal track for music.

If you want to go straight to the phone, I’d run cables from the 1/4” outs, combine them to a 1/8” stereo connector if that works with the phone. You can monitor from the piano’s speakers or headphones — the 1/4” outs are not switched off.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
big-vern #3038134 10/21/20 07:54 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello big-vern,

Originally Posted by big-vern
I want to record video/audio from my digital piano (kawai es920) onto my Android Smartphone (sony with usb c ). The phone has USB audio capabilities but from what I can tell is not fully certified as USB OTG.

I don't want to use the external built in mic on the phone (or an external mic). Also, I want to avoid recording onto the onboard USB recording on the Kawai (as this would mean then combining with the camera video). Any recommended method people us please? (I've done a search but want updated opinions if any please and have differents caveats, so hope thats ok)

In order to achieve what you're trying to do, I believe you will need to use a USB mixer. The ES920's Line Outs will connect to the mixer via standard 1/4" audio cables, and the mixer will connect to the phone via USB.

For example:

Mixers vary in price, however you should be able to find a relatively inexpensive mixer with USB audio functionality for around 100~150 Euros

Originally Posted by big-vern
I thought about trying a ttrs 3.5mm jack cable from the piano into the headphone socket of the phone but then couldn't monitor the sound (unless I got a splitter which would then make it mono ? - or would it be mono in any case?? )

I don't believe this would work. Most 3.5mm connectors/adapters for phones are mono only.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
big-vern #3038140 10/21/20 08:32 PM
D
D
The GoMixer Pro you mentioned is perfect for this. It's small, simple, very portable, has lots of input/output options and comes with cables for both IOS and Android devices. An iRig may be another option or, as James mentioned, a USB mixer.

If you're handy with video editing software, you can record video and audio separately then sync the two during editing but you didn't mention wanting to go that route.

big-vern #3038142 10/21/20 08:51 PM
D
D
Using the 1/8" ttrs adapter will give you a mono recording.

If you use the ttrs adapter method, make sure you plug that adapter into the phone first before plugging in the rest of the cables/adapters or it will not work.

ColoRodney #3038418 10/22/20 06:02 PM
B
OP Offline
B
thanks all, I ordered the gomixer pro and 2 1/4" cables last night, should be here tmrw.

big-vern #3038419 10/22/20 06:17 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
I would definitely use the internal sound recording, and combine it with the video later. That would give the best quality, since there’s no analog step. Record on the phone too, align the two soundtracks in your AV software by aligning your first peak. That way you can even record speaking on the phone, then fade to the internal track for music.

If you want to go straight to the phone, I’d run cables from the 1/4” outs, combine them to a 1/8” stereo connector if that works with the phone. You can monitor from the piano’s speakers or headphones — the 1/4” outs are not switched off.
Agreed that would seem to preserve the audio at the highest quality and Ill do it at some point in future and blind compare test with friends.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
DGX-660: A key in a style playing wrong...
by Kruiser_56 - 11/28/20 09:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,119
Posts3,028,323
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission