2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
25 members (bilb, johanibraaten, FloRi89, Harpuia, Beowulf, Jonky Ponky, Kelwai, CraiginNZ, 5 invisible), 355 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Now, without wanting to cause any controversy, I just want to start off by saying that the current Feurich pianos (former Wendl & Lung) that are being produced in China are good pianos. I haven't had the chance to play very many but the most recent one I played had a very controllable action and decent, well-rounded tone.

When I say "what happened to the real Feurich pianos?", what I mean is what happened to those that were produced in Germany by Julius Feurich and his predecessors in the Feurich family? When it was first announced that Wendl & Lung were to buy Feurich all those years ago, I seem to recall that they said they would maintain production of the German-made Feurich's alongside their 'new' Chinese-made Feurichs but that the focus would be on the development and sale of the Chinese-made variant. This idea of having the German-made Feurichs alongside the Chinese-made never seem to manifest itself and it would appear Wendl & Lung really just bought the name...

Now, after it was clearly established that Feurich, in whatever guise it took, would only be manufacturing pianos out of China and not Germany which led to (what I believe) the following happening: Julius Feurich leaving the company and setting up 'JF Pianos' which were the original German-designed and made Feurichs pre-Wendl & Lung acquisition. I'm not sure exactly how much success Julius Feurich had with this venture as the website no longer exists and there is very little by way of Google search... that said, there is 'JF Hessen' which according to their very basic website is 'original Julius Feurich design built by the Julius Feurich team and made in Germany'. Does anyone know anything about JF Hessen pianos or has even seen one in the flesh?

Of course, the above knowledge I have of Feurich is only a fraction of what I'm sure other Piano World members can tell me. With this in mind, I'd really like to hear from those with the 'know how' knowledge of what happened to the real Feurich? It seems a shame that a piano brand with a somewhat significant amount of history behind it can just be bought up by a Chinese conglomerate and then within years dissipate into nothing...

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
P
P
I would also be interested to know who builds the Feurich 123 Vienna model. Does anybody know?
I understand that it is made in Austria, but I don't know if by the "original" workshop, or a 3rd party, or who exactly. Especially that as I understand Feurich was originally made in Germany, not Austria.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There is a video put out featuring that piano's construction-- by an English dealer, I think.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Actually I know, I wrote a long post, and changed my mind about it.

The short version of the story is that Julius Feurich sold the rights to his company's name to the team who wanted to import pianos from Hailun and have them branded as Feurich (I don't know the difference between a Hailun and a Feurich, sorry). Julius Feurich then tried to keep his *own* factory going and branded the pianos JF, or JF Hessen, found it was too expensive to maintain this, and folded the operation and now works for Seiler.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Actually I know, I wrote a long post, and changed my mind about it.

The short version of the story is that Julius Feurich sold the rights to his company's name to the team who wanted to import pianos from Hailun and have them branded as Feurich (I don't know the difference between a Hailun and a Feurich, sorry). Julius Feurich then tried to keep his *own* factory going and branded the pianos JF, or JF Hessen, found it was too expensive to maintain this, and folded the operation and now works for Seiler.

Thanks for this, Joe - your input appreciated as always. The piano buffs amongst us, including myself, would very much have appreciated the long post on this!

It's a shame to hear that the original Julius Feurich pianos are no more and that Julius himself now works for Seiler. I've never had a chance to play one of the German-made Feurichs but I always heard good things about them.

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There's a market for used original Feurichs in Germany, although it would appear that not all that many are on it right now. Here is a link to a listing of such pianos (only grands, and the page is in German):

Used Feurich grands

EDIT: Please note: there's a chinese Feurich in the listing.

Last edited by QuasiUnaFantasia; 05/27/20 04:17 PM.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I won't post the long version or share it in a private message because it is based on a very brief conversation I had with Julius Feurich at NAMM, and I don't want to misquote him, nor do I want to get into murky legal territory. I could say something for instance that is not true, and brings down the name of either party.

What I do know is that *everything* that happened was legal, mutual, and above board, and while there is definitely sadness about Feurich no longer being made in Germany, everyone was aware what the possible outcomes were at the start of the venture.

I love premium small-batch European baby grands and uprights - for us over on that continent and Island in small homes and studios, these pianos are a beautiful fit. But small pianos, no matter how well made they are, have limitations, and some of the Asian producers have found ways to produce beautiful products at a small price that while not quite being as refined as the European products, are still excellent instruments in their own right, and with a price tag often being a third or less than the equivalent European piano, have become the most attractive option for many in that market.

A Steinway M or a Blüthner Model 10, or a Bösendorfer 170 is objectively a better piano than a Yamaha GC2, or a Hailun 178, but for most people the prices are enough to drive them in the direction of the Hailun, and the Hailun sounds good enough for many practice situations.

Originally Posted by Patronus
I would also be interested to know who builds the Feurich 123 Vienna model. Does anybody know?
I understand that it is made in Austria, but I don't know if by the "original" workshop, or a 3rd party, or who exactly. Especially that as I understand Feurich was originally made in Germany, not Austria.

Yes, Roberts Pianos in Oxford, England, sells four models of the Feurich upright and calls them all German/Austrian. They also have a video, posted in 2018, of their visit to the Feurich factory in Vienna: https://youtu.be/8U_R6k8NhYE

The Feurich website shows production locations in Vienna and Ningbo, China.

Interesting that Pianobuyer has no listing for them under any manufacturer's name. And the Feurich website doesn't link to any sellers or distributors.

Proud Owner of a Kawai Rosina (SI-16)
A
A
One interesting Tidbit: I was talking to Seiler Dealer a few years ago. ( I am based in the UK, Seilers aren't well represented here). The dealer recommend I speak directly to the Seiler factory and introduced me via text message to one "Julius Feurich". I believe its the same person (the dealer wasn't sure).

This was in 2018.

Can anyone confirm this?

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
Former owner of Petrof 131
PianoWorld Member/Lurker since 1999
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, Mr. Feurich oversees the production of the German Seiler pianos at their factory in Kitzingen.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Originally Posted by Paul in Navarre
Roberts Pianos in Oxford, England, sells four models of the Feurich upright and calls them all German/Austrian. They also have a video, posted in 2018, of their visit to the Feurich factory in Vienna: https://youtu.be/8U_R6k8NhYE

The Feurich website shows production locations in Vienna and Ningbo, China.

Interesting that Pianobuyer has no listing for them under any manufacturer's name. And the Feurich website doesn't link to any sellers or distributors.

In a comment on the video I linked to above, Roberts Pianos says "The frame, strings and back are made in Ningbo but the rest in Austria."

Proud Owner of a Kawai Rosina (SI-16)
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Yes, Mr. Feurich oversees the production of the German Seiler pianos at their factory in Kitzingen.

That's interesting - I had no idea Julius Feurich had ended up at Seiler. As mentioned in my original post, I knew he had left to setup JF Pianos but that was about as far as my knowledge extended at the time!

On an unrelated note, it is nice to see this thread revived with some extra information.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Well I certainly am glad someone like Julius Feurich ended up at Seiler. A pre war Seiler was my first piano ever. It is rather sad than Hailun bought the name of Feurich made Feurich's which they claim are now made in Vienna .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/20/20 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feurich Feurich is owned by a Vienese piano manufacturer but they are made in Ningbo China and Burscheid, Germany. I used to work in Burscheid! A great little place near Wuppertahl where they make the worlds greatest saxophones, other brass musical instruments like Tubas, and piano keys and famous for household knives like Wüsthof for example.

My guess would be the Viennese company does the engineering and provides their specifications to their affiliates in China and Germany. Bösendorfer does this with their outsourcing of keys to the Wuppertahl Company mentioned above and the Renner action made in Germany. When they arrive at the Bösendorfer factory they are throughly checked to make sure they meet Bösendorfer's specifications. Bösendorfer's core competency is manufacturing pianos, not keys or actions they outsource to the experts in those areas.

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 10/20/20 08:49 PM.

Bösendorfer 170

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer VC
by wg73 - 04/20/21 03:00 AM
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,405
Posts3,084,312
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission