2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
53 members (chopinetto, Boboulus, Carey, anotherscott, Charles Cohen, AWilley, Bruce In Philly, 16 invisible), 424 guests, and 472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Silent system or practice pedal?
#3037229 10/19/20 04:24 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I had almost decided to go for a baby grand (Kawai GL10) with a silent system (ATX2), however, when I checked the price with a dealer I discovered that a Kawai GL10 WITHOUT ATX2 silent system costs the same price as the Kawai K500 WITH ATX3.

Then my question is this: how much is effective the practice pedal? My wife says that she studied piano when she was a young girl using the practice pedal without any problem. I am a very beginner and I do not want to bother my neighbors with hours of tedious exercises, this is why I looked for a silent system. What do you think? Would it be enough to use the practice pedal not to bother my neighbors? If the answer is a yes I would go for the GL10 instead of K500.

I also own a Yamaha Clavinova CVP 307, however, I still think that it is much better to practice with an acoustic piano.

Guido

Re: Silent system or practice pedal?
Guido, Roma - Italy #3037230 10/19/20 04:38 AM
R
R
As far as I know, no grand piano has a mute pedal so this may be a moot point if you are looking at a GL10.

With regards to the practice pedal (if you end up considering uprights), unless it's an apartment with paper thin walls and very picky neighbors, I feel a practice pedal is enough. Silent systems just sound better than a practice pedal.

Guido, Roma - Italy #3037248 10/19/20 06:38 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
You need to play the piano you are interested in both with and without the practice pedal and see how you like it Personally I don't like playing with the practice pedal as I have to change how I play to get consistently audible notes (softly played notes don't sound at all). There again I don't think a lot of the silent systems I have tried either, but others have different opinions.

Would you be able to play your piano during the day and return to the Clavinova during hours when it might cause a disturbance? That could be the ideal solution.

Last edited by gwing; 10/19/20 06:39 AM.
Guido, Roma - Italy #3037273 10/19/20 08:22 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Does a Kawai GL10 come with a soft pedal or a una corda pedal? I use the una corda pedal for sections of music that I want to play very softly but since it moves the action to only use 2 of the 3 strings the hammer strikes. If the una corda pedal is used extensively it causes uneven wear on many of the strings. Again you do need to try before you buy.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Guido, Roma - Italy #3037409 10/19/20 01:50 PM
K
K
It depends on how close your neighbors are and how quiet you need your piano to be. Practice pedal on my Yamaha u1 makes it quiet enough to have normal conversations while playing and unlikely to be audible from outside. But within the building I can still hear it if someone in the house is playing so it’s not quiet enough for nighttime practice in my home. I don’t have a silent feature on my pianos but I have a digital so that’s for our nighttime use, although it still makes thumping noise. The sound quality of practice pedal is not quite the same thing as the normal sound at lower volume, unlike digital. It sounds very muffled has a slightly different touch as the key bottoms out. You need to try and see if you like it. I’ve heard that the silent feature changes the touch of piano very slightly when it is engaged, but I have no experience in that regard, so again you need to try it for yourself.

Guido, Roma - Italy #3037484 10/19/20 05:22 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I played all combinations of the K models and GL models when I was shopping. The K500 is a nicer sounding piano than the GL-10 in my opinion. The touch is of course different on a grand, but you've played both so you are aware of the difference. I find the practice pedal on the K500 acceptable, but all practice pedals feel a bit odd to me, partly because the sound is not just softer but kind of sounds oddly muted, and the touch is slightly altered with the practice pedal. The GL-10 is not available with ATX here in the US, so I've never played it. I concluded that instead of buying a silent option piano of any brand, the money would be better spent on a quality digital piano. Of course that assumes you have the space. So if the practice pedal on the K500 isn't adequately muted for your application, you could spend the money you saved on a quality digital that has a nice touch.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
K8KT #3037596 10/20/20 01:14 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by K8KT
I’ve heard that the silent feature changes the touch of piano very slightly when it is engaged, but I have no experience in that regard, so again you need to try it for yourself.

I does not, there is no difference whatsoever in touch when the silent system is engaged. The stop bar catches the hammer after it is released. There is no connection between the hammer and the key anymore, so you cannot feel it. On a Kawai, the silent system measures hammer movement optically, so there is no way how this could have any mechanical consequence on touch.

My K300 ATX-3 has both a practice pedal and a silent system, and I never use the practice pedal. The correspondence between how you play and what you hear is completely different between normal playing and practice pedal playing. That is the point of the device of course :-), but that limits its functionality. A silent system enables you to play in a similar way as normal. With a good silent system such as Kawai's or Yamaha's you can be fully expressive. It is IMO better that a good digital piano because the digital part is similar/the same but you have the touch of a real action.

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3
Guido, Roma - Italy #3037675 10/20/20 08:25 AM
M
M
A grand won't have a practice pedal though it can be fitted with a digital silent system.
I have had a K300 ATX2 - I usually ended up just using the practice pedal instead of the silent system when I wanted to make less noise because I really disliked the digital sound. I'm sure newer silent systems will have somewhat better digital sounds.

While most people seem to dislike playing with the practice pedal I love it. My current piano is an old Yamaha U1 and i love playing it with the practice pedal engaged.

Morten Olsson #3037688 10/20/20 08:49 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
I have had a K300 ATX2 - I usually ended up just using the practice pedal instead of the silent system when I wanted to make less noise because I really disliked the digital sound. I'm sure newer silent systems will have somewhat better digital sounds.

The ATX3 has a somewhat better sound than the ATX2. But to get much better sound I think you still need a VST.

Playing with practice pedal can be very beautiful indeed. Joep Beving ( https://joepbeving.com/ ) uses this a lot and he is currently one of my favorite artists.

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Vermeer the most 'musical' of the great artists?
by bennevis - 11/24/20 07:23 PM
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,023
Posts3,026,772
Members99,361
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission