2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
49 members (CyberGene, A. Lucato, clothearednincompo, David B, c++, Burkey, 1957, anotherscott, dhull100, 10 invisible), 525 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai GX-5 vs Shigeru SK-3
#3037654 10/20/20 06:41 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hello!

I was wondering if you could help me. After a while, we’re finally buying a piano so I can go back to study. I had the opportunity to try a few models, and these are my impressions:

- Yamaha C2X: I like the tone, but it lacks power
- Kawai GX-2: too dark
- Kawai GX5: I liked the power of the bass, the sound is airy and open, yet I felt it could be a little more refined.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Shigeru to play, so I won’t be able to compare it.

My question is: I really like the power of a larger piano, but I also want refinement. If I opt for the SK-3, although I loose some power, will It be a better option?

Thank you for you help!

Re: Kawai GX-5 vs Shigeru SK-3
Dreyfus Fabrini #3037667 10/20/20 07:37 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think the only way someone could answer your question in a reasonably definitive way is if they have the same tonal preferences and their ideas of power and refinement are exactly like yours. Unless the piano will be in an extremely large room I don't think power is important but that's just me.

I assume you're trying to find a compromise among price, size, and quality when asking about the SK-3. In that sense, your choice seems perfectly reasonable. Have you played any Shigerus? If not, you're certainly taking a chance if the dealer is special ordering the piano and you have to commit to buying it. OTOH it is not always possible to be able to try out a piano one is considering so some people are willing to take a chance.

Are there other dealers a reasonable distance from you that you haven't visited yet?

Dreyfus Fabrini #3037669 10/20/20 07:49 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dreyfus - Welcome to PianoWorld!

If there’s not a Shigeru available for you to try, how are you going to determine if the SK3 is the perfect piano?

I’m certainly not a Shigeru or piano expert but high quality pianos like Shigerus are very individual and unique and really need to be played, tried and appreciated individually. I don’t know your location but you should really always try before you buy any piano, but especially a Shigeru.

Best Wishes on your search.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Dreyfus Fabrini #3037673 10/20/20 08:11 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
It would be madness buying a piano of a type you have neither listened to or played. Go find one, play it, see if you like it. If not repeat :-0

Dreyfus Fabrini #3037695 10/20/20 09:09 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
The Shigeru SK-3 might not necessarily be less powerful than the GX-5, it's not such a big size difference honestly. It may have less clarity in the bass, or however people describe it. The over all response is more refined on the Shigerus than it is on the GX series, but honestly it's better to compare two pianos of the same size to get an accurate comparison.

Anyway it sounds like you're looking for a lot of power, combined with a lot of refinement. That combination of attributes tends to happen in much more expensive pianos than a Shigeru SK-3 or Kawai GX-5, and really what you're looking for doesn't start to happen until the realm of the 7' to 7'6 piano. How much power do you need when you're studying anyway? I honestly find practicing for long periods on large and powerful pianos to be quite strenuous on the ear.

Dreyfus Fabrini #3037738 10/20/20 12:27 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you for all the great feedback.

As pianoloverus said, I’m trying to to find a compromise among price, size, and quality. I know that you get the piano you pay for, and for this price range, those are the best options available in my country (Brazil).

Unfortunately, I’ve already searched for a Shigeru in all major dealers, and there’s no availability, and if o choose to buy one, it would be blind folded, just based on my impressions on the GX-5.

I don’t have a really large room, that’s why I was considering the SK-3: a little less power, and more refinement.

Joseph Fleetwood #3037750 10/20/20 12:43 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
The Shigeru SK-3 might not necessarily be less powerful than the GX-5, it's not such a big size difference honestly. It may have less clarity in the bass, or however people describe it. The over all response is more refined on the Shigerus than it is on the GX series, but honestly it's better to compare two pianos of the same size to get an accurate comparison.

Anyway it sounds like you're looking for a lot of power, combined with a lot of refinement. That combination of attributes tends to happen in much more expensive pianos than a Shigeru SK-3 or Kawai GX-5, and really what you're looking for doesn't start to happen until the realm of the 7' to 7'6 piano. How much power do you need when you're studying anyway? I honestly find practicing for long periods on large and powerful pianos to be quite strenuous on the ear.
Have you tried gx3? That should also give you an idea of what sk3 has to offer in terms of clarity in bass(or lack of) and power. I personally feel that the piano needs to be at least in the mid 6’ lengths to have satisfying bass. Of course, the longer the better😃 Unless you are placing your new piano in a large space, say as large as the showrooms that you have visited, I don’t think you need quite a power. But as a bare minimum, no matter which model you choose, you absolutely need to play and purchase that particular piano because every instrument has its unique touch and tone, even within the same model from the same year.

Dreyfus Fabrini #3037770 10/20/20 02:14 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
It's a little bit more complicated than longer is better, to be honest. I'm not meaning to disrespect your view, I just don't share it. I believe it's about balance, and the bass of the instrument has to be in context. A lot of instruments are quite uneven, even after voicing, and on some makers larger instruments the bass can overpower the treble which creates a lot of problems for playing certain repertoire. Talking about new Hamburg Steinway for instance, I like the A a lot, but the B, and I love the C and D. Talking about Blüthner, the Model 6 is excellent (6'3), the Model 4 feels imbalanced (7'), and the model 2 can be incredible (7'8). I've come across similar things with Yamaha where the C3 is usually excellent, and I'm not so fond of the C5 and C6, but the C7 can be outstanding. Interestingly I love the Bösendorfer 7' (Mod. 214), so it's not necessarily a size thing. It's a taste thing for me, which is highly individual.

Dreyfus Fabrini #3037823 10/20/20 06:24 PM
W
W
Dreyfus,

When I was looking at Shigeru grands for a client I was able to compare an SK-3 side by side with an SK-5, an SK-6, and an SK-2. In the case of these four particular pianos, the most perceptible bass drop-off was between the SK-3 and the SK-2. The SK-3 really held its own next to the larger pianos, and it was an exceptionally fine piano. I had to talk myself out of buying it, and I own a Steinway B. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Wes Lachot; 10/20/20 06:25 PM.

Wes Lachot Design Group
www.weslachot.com
Dreyfus Fabrini #3037831 10/20/20 06:40 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I was researching piano buying options for the university where I was adjunct I visited a Kawai dealer. One place on the floor was a GX-5. There was an SK-3 in the other room.

I tried both fully expecting (based on my experience playing a wonderful SK-7 in a concert hall in Beijing) to like the SK better.

I didn't. I actually preferred the GX-5.

Now there is an important detail to consider: that particular GX-5 had personally been prepped by non other than Don Maninno (or so I was told), because it was under consideration by an important client of the store. Superb prep had, perhaps, elevated the GX above its usual station. (Please, GX owners, I am NOT trying to insult you. The GX are very good pianos. The SK, by design and execution, are arguably better. They certainly cost more).

I also tried an SK-6 and an SK-7 there. Neither was the equal of the piano I played in Beijing, but both were absolutely wonderful. I got a bit of dealer talk, "well, the pianos haven't bloomed yet, they need to be played in, etc", but at SK prices, I am not interested in "potential", just realities.

I confess that the sound of the SK series is, to my ears, richer, more refined than the GX, and the actions DO feel better to my hands and feet (on the pedals) than the GX.

OP - I'd try both instruments if possible to determine what feels and sounds best to YOU. That's what really matters. Get the piano you can love the most that you can afford.

As Wes Lachot wrote, "Your mileage may vary".

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Dreyfus Fabrini #3037842 10/20/20 07:38 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Andrew, you've brought a very important element into the conversation and that's prep.

We can talk about models all day, but a good technician can work wonders with a good piano. Of course the tech can't put in what the piano isn't capable of, but it makes such a massive difference having a technician prepare an instrument to an individual's taste.

Joseph Fleetwood #3037884 10/21/20 01:05 AM
K
K
It's a little bit more complicated than longer is better, to be honest. I'm not meaning to disrespect your view, I just don't share it. I believe it's about balance, and the bass of the instrument has to be in context. A lot of instruments are quite uneven, even after voicing, and on some makers larger instruments the bass can overpower the treble which creates a lot of problems for playing certain repertoire. Talking about new Hamburg Steinway for instance, I like the A a lot, but the B, and I love the C and D. Talking about Blüthner, the Model 6 is excellent (6'3), the Model 4 feels imbalanced (7'), and the model 2 can be incredible (7'8). I've come across similar things with Yamaha where the C3 is usually excellent, and I'm not so fond of the C5 and C6, but the C7 can be outstanding. Interestingly I love the Bösendorfer 7' (Mod. 214), so it's not necessarily a size thing. It's a taste thing for me, which is highly individual.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. No offense taken. I agree that my comment was extremely generalized and that there’s more to just the length. Perceived improvement in tonal quality is not necessarily linear. Just because the manufacturer can come up with a certain size for a marketing purpose and they can fit it with its designated scale design doesn’t mean every combination is a winner either. I happen to prefer c5 than c3 but it’s just me. Also, I happened to have seen c2 that’s almost as good sounding as c3 or rather underwhelming c5 and c7 so the initial build along with further voicing need to be considered.

K8KT #3037991 10/21/20 11:05 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by K8KT
Thank you for sharing your experiences. No offense taken. I agree that my comment was extremely generalized and that there’s more to just the length. Perceived improvement in tonal quality is not necessarily linear. Just because the manufacturer can come up with a certain size for a marketing purpose and they can fit it with its designated scale design doesn’t mean every combination is a winner either. I happen to prefer c5 than c3 but it’s just me. Also, I happened to have seen c2 that’s almost as good sounding as c3 or rather underwhelming c5 and c7 so the initial build along with further voicing need to be considered.

Right exactly, it's all about taste! I find that a lot of makers 7-foot pianos have not necessarily a better sustain in the bass, but kind of a more punchy sound in the bass that sometimes voicing can't effectively fix, and for me, I'm not looking for that sound. Some players absolutely love that sound, and I respect that. It suits their style, it suits their repertoire, but it doesn't help me find the sound I'm looking for. Honestly though, for a domestic piano I'm looking only for an even touch and tone, and I don't really care about power so much as colour. With a concert grand, power becomes important in concertos, and it definitely helps to have something on the brighter end of the spectrum when playing with a full symphony orchestra (like a Tchaikovsky, or a Rachmaninoff), but for a solo recital it really depends on the repertoire. There are some concert halls have the luxury of having two actions per piano, one brighter and one more mellow, but most places you just have to plump for what's on stage and hope that the local technician can do something with it!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ivory ACD install without discs
by mwf - 11/28/20 06:52 AM
Mixing VST audio with external hardware audio
by Andrew_G - 11/28/20 02:42 AM
File, sand and/or needle inside my Baldwin?
by DanD - 11/28/20 01:18 AM
Hybrid piano too loud for my neighbor :(
by kiwibd - 11/27/20 07:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,090
Posts3,028,018
Members99,391
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission