2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
36 members (DaEgg, Eli26, EPW, Evgeny 85, cozmopak, Almaviva, 14 invisible), 438 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Are there any sampled pianos better than the Garritan CFX?
#3037427 10/19/20 02:23 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi!!

I mainly use the Garritan CFX piano and so far it has been by far my favorite piano to play in terms of sound. I always hear people liking Keyscape and Pianoteq, and Kontakt noire, but they were underwhelming to me. I was wondering if any you have tried the Garritan cfx and preferred another piano over it? So far everything else I have seen mentioned has been a little bit disappoinitng in comparison.

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Are there any sampled pianos better than the Garritan CFX?
fortnite #3037429 10/19/20 02:27 PM
Ever given VSL a try? smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Beowulf #3037431 10/19/20 02:28 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I have not, I'll check it out. Have you tried it? What's better about it?

fortnite #3037437 10/19/20 02:52 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
VSL pianos seem to get a lot of love. I haven’t tested one though although I like the sound of Hamburg Steinways, so maybe some day... But until then there’s no better sampled piano than Garritan CFX for me 👍🏻

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
fortnite #3037443 10/19/20 03:08 PM
M
mwf Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
I've tried loads of vsts, garritan was one of the first I tried, i had a yamaha cp4 at the time, still do, i didnt rate garritan much as I couldn't tell much difference to my cp4 cfx...

I don't think vsts are anywhere near as playable as a hardware sample piano... Even with minimal buffer sizes.

However garritan is the most playable vst available, it's closest to perfect as I've tried. The natural classic setting ambience of the cfx is just so good to hear.

I've tried pianoteq and it's very playable and enjoyable in that respect, but it's basic samples are just not piano like enough for me to accept.

Ivory 2 ACD is great too, and keyscape, but that's not very playable imo, just the base sample is fantastic is all.

Garritan remains my go to vst, it records brilliantly, you can create professional sounding recordings with it. It's natural reverb/ambience is sublime, and it's mostly a joy to play, i still think its difficult to bring out notes properly with it above others well, on a hardware sample it's more natural and easier to do.

fortnite #3037459 10/19/20 04:15 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
VSL, Synthogy, VI Labs make very good libs.
Embertone Walker, C. Bechstein, Production Voices are good as well IMHO.

This is very subjective, but I do not like the CFX Full sound, and find the sound of everything above more pleasing to my eyes. I'd probably have to play more with CFX settings, but no need yet.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
fortnite #3037472 10/19/20 05:05 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
As far as my experience and opinion goes, I think only vsl is better than garritan cfx.

To me vsl and Garritan cfx are just the best piano's, with vsl beating Garritan overall. The only real downside to VSL's synchron piano's is they lack una corda samples, while garritan cfx does include them.

fortnite #3037478 10/19/20 05:15 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I like the good ol' Vintage D. I much prefer the Steinway sound.

fortnite #3037491 10/19/20 05:24 PM
F
F
I've never played Garritan CFX (so that disqualifies my post as a relevant answer to the OP wink ) but I was about considering purchasing it. My VST budget was consumed however. Then I stumbled by chance upon the VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and the VST budget magically went up :p No regrets at all. I love it... So warm and intimate, yet can sound almost grand 😍...

Definitely quite resource-hungry however. The standard version is in the same price league as the Garritan Full (especially if you don't have the mandatory dongle yet).

Estonia L190, Kawai VPC1, Casio AP-450
fortnite #3037531 10/19/20 07:19 PM
O
O
I'm new to VST piano game but got the Garritan CFX a few weeks back and it's a joy to play. Though sometimes it sounds too perfect to be realistic, reverb-wise. Glad I bought it & enjoying playing classical pieces on this.

A day or 2 later I bought "Modern U" by VI Labs, after reading a thread here. Wow, this upright does the trick. I practice on it the most, maybe because I've spent the majority of my life practicing on uprights (not grands). Also, I'm playing more jazz than classical lately & Modern U does that well.

Happy with both & set for awhile.

VPC1, NS2, FP-10
fortnite #3037592 10/20/20 12:50 AM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by fortnite
I was wondering if any you have tried the Garritan cfx and preferred another piano over it?

Yes. I have been using VSL Synchron Concert-D as my primary VST piano. I love the sound of Garritan CFX but it has too much of the room reverb for my taste. While VSL Synchron Concert-D also has some built in reverb - I have been able to find a setting with mixing close mics that work for me.

That said, Garritan CFX is also an excellent VST. I wouldn't say VSL Synchron Concert-D is necessarily 'better' - but it is a different sound. And, some may prefer one over another.

Among the sampled piano VSTs I own, only VSL Concert-D has excellent playability - comparable to Garritan CFX and Pianoteq.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
fortnite #3037653 10/20/20 06:41 AM
P
P
Hi!!

I mainly use the Garritan CFX piano and so far it has been by far my favorite piano to play in terms of sound. I always hear people liking Keyscape and Pianoteq, and Kontakt noire, but they were underwhelming to me. I was wondering if any you have tried the Garritan cfx and preferred another piano over it? So far everything else I have seen mentioned has been a little bit disappoinitng in comparison.

The most beautiful VST that I have is C. Bechstein DIgital Grand (DG). That is: the original sample-based VST ( https://www.bechstein-digital.com/digital-grand/ ), not the Pianoteq model of that library. Other ones that I have but care less for (now that I have DG) are: Pianoteq (with multiple pianos) and Embertone Walker. I have and like Garritan CFX light, and use it for variation but I like DG a lot more.

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3
fortnite #3037660 10/20/20 06:58 AM
A
A
I don't like Garritan CFX sound. "Better" is subjective in this case, but I much prefer Soniccouture Hammersmith or Embertone Walker 1955.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
AlphaBravoCharlie #3037664 10/20/20 07:16 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
...I much prefer Soniccouture Hammersmith...

Didn't know that one. Sounds very nice indeed. Do you have the standard edition or professional? Does it play well right out of the box?

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3
pianogabe #3037794 10/20/20 04:01 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
...I much prefer Soniccouture Hammersmith...

Didn't know that one. Sounds very nice indeed. Do you have the standard edition or professional? Does it play well right out of the box?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here: I have the Pro version. Both the Standard & Pro have the same number of velocity layers and features, but the Standard has 2 mic perspectives (Neumann M49 Close mics + Decca Tree room mics) compared to Pro's 6 mic perspectives. Playability is superb - on par with Garritan's CFX IMHO when matched well to your keyboard. It has proper separate sustain pedal down samples too so it gives you the natural bloom of sympathetic resonance similar to a real piano. There are numerous velocity scaling & velocity curve controls, and as with all sampled pianos with these controls, setting this up correctly to match your keyboard or controller is very important. Highly recommended if you like a clear and defined Steinway tone.

Last edited by Craig Richards; 10/20/20 04:04 PM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
pianogabe #3037851 10/20/20 08:34 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Hi!!

The most beautiful VST that I have is C. Bechstein DIgital Grand (DG). That is: the original sample-based VST ( https://www.bechstein-digital.com/digital-grand/ ), not the Pianoteq model of that library. Other ones that I have but care less for (now that I have DG) are: Pianoteq (with multiple pianos) and Embertone Walker. I have and like Garritan CFX light, and use it for variation but I like DG a lot more.
C. Bechstein Digital is the best sampled grand IMO as well. Then comes the Embertone Walker (Steinway). Then the Wavesfactory Mercury (Fazioli).
Not the Garritan CFX. Only if you’re into Yamaha grands.

fortnite #3037855 10/20/20 09:03 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Fleer is from Boston so should be pitching Mason & Hamlin. . .

Craig Richards #3037868 10/20/20 09:53 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I have purchased the hammersmith and it's very impressive. It definitely sounds and feels more real than the garritan, but I have to keep playing with the settings until i find something i really like.

fortnite #3037892 10/21/20 02:40 AM
G
G
I played the Garritan yesterday to make this recording. When I sat down it felt so nice and wonderful to play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMl4nIInVjY&t=2s

I'd be quite interested to hear from those who don't quite like the Garritan what they don't like about this sound? Just curious

fortnite #3037893 10/21/20 03:03 AM
F
F
What a wonderful playing, Gamma1734! So nice to begin my morning with and enhance my mood blush

Well, the Garritan in your recording sounds incredibly good imo. The closeness of the sound suits the piece really well. It's nice to see it's also possible to get a drier sound out of it if needed.

I've listened to a lot of recordings using Garritan CFX, and all I can say is that's a superb sounding piano (can't testify about playability). It's really versatile and sounds like a superb, big expensive grand. Some of us may just be looking for a special character in the sound of their piano, as personal preference.

Estonia L190, Kawai VPC1, Casio AP-450
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,338
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission