2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3037279 10/19/20 09:52 AM
F
Feibel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi Guys,

I have had a Casio PX-830 digital piano for almost 10 years now and 99% of the time I play it is with headphones (I live in a shared house with thin walls and most often play early in the morning or at night).

Last weekend I wanted to try recording the piano sound directly to my computer (i.e. not via MIDI) as I now have a USB audio interface and a 1/4 inch to XLR cable.

The piano has two headphone jacks (1/4 inch) so, following advice I read online, I decided to record straight from one of the jacks using the 1/4 inch to XLR cable, which seemed to work OK. I now realise it has a dedicated 'line out' so this was unnecessary.

When I unplugged the cable and tried to play the piano later on with my usual headphones, there was only sound through my left ear, and this was the case using both of the headphone jacks.

The headphones work fine with other sources, and yesterday I tried the piano with another pair of headphones and still only the left side is coming through, so I am sure it is not the headphones that are damaged.

The audio interface does have phantom power and this was on when I first plugged the piano in, so I am thinking this has possibly damaged the jack?

I have had a look through the manual and the only thing it says is that if the headphone cable is not plugged all the way in then this can cause one side of the sound to drop out, but no mention of any other causes.

Has anybody else had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The headphone jack is stereo, carrying left and right audio on separate lines.
But an XLR cable is mono, carrying only a single channel. That's why you hear only one channel.

Now that you've found the line outputs, connect those (left and right) to the audio interface inputs.
Two channels will require two cables.

F
Feibel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the reply. The issue is with the headphones now plugged directly into the piano - the XLR cable was only used when connecting to my PC.

I will use the line outs as noted when I connect to my PC in the future.

Thanks

Sam

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission