2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
46 members (dhull100, ando, ChrisGoesPiano, Burkey, Adam Edin, Catlady, brennbaer, 36251, CyberGene, 11 invisible), 439 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rare Gems Themed Recital - Discussion Thread
Sam S #3036965 10/18/20 11:25 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, folks! Here are my last batch of comments -- great recital to listen to!:

Animisha -- A graceful, lilting rendition of Ethelbert Nevin's "Gondolieri" -- he has a litlle different notion of the boatmen than Mendelssohn, wouldn't you say? AFAIK, Nevin is otherwise known only for a few turn-of-the-century salon pieces -- "Narcissus", and "Amaryllis", featured as an inside joke in the musical "The Music Man".

PikaPianist -- As you say, quite a mature piece for 14 years of age! Just beautifully shaped and voiced throughout -- thanks ever so much for sharing. Some of it sounded uncannily like late Schubert, both in harmonic shifts and musical gestures -- would he have had prior exposure to Schubert's music?

Ruth CM -- Here is another recital highlight -- a wonderfully crafted homage piece, warm and expressive. And your rendition does it full justice -- just a joy to listen to (several times, in fact!).

Pianist 685 -- A really terrific collection of "gems" from different musical worlds! Just an excellent reading of Lecuona's Prelude -- if nothing else, it proves he wrote other things than "Malaguena", a piece which truly is exciting when played well, but typically gets battered and bruised by overeager amateurs. The Prelude is very reminiscent of Manuel Ponce, another pianist/composer from Mexico who created a few gems of his own. The Oscar Peterson Jazz waltz is a very touching tribute to his sister. Although he was unquestionably a Jazz pianist with staggering virtuosity, people tend to forget that he was also an able educator of Jazz theory and techniques, and occasionally a composer. I had never previously heard the Liszt Romance -- I was expecting some over-the-top sentimental effusion, and was both surprised and delighted to learn that he started in minor mode, and retained a straightforward ascetic approach to the development of the piece. Very satisfying throughout! Finally, I thought your own "Largo Desperado" was a thoroughgoing success -- just a slightly humorous take on the Handel Sarabande using Flamenco guitar gestures, but not overly imitative of that genre. Well done -- and, as usual, the pianism was immaculate.

Jason Lenthe -- For me, even the relatively simple Bartok pieces are in fact NOT that simple -- but they are fun to listen to. The 5/4 time signature provides an off-kilter feel that I find bracing. You did a good job maintaining the constant left hand pattern against the changing right hand patterns.

MelchiorBlade7 -- The Branco Prelude was IMO just a wonderful piece, in the spirit of late Debussy -- if they were all of that quality, I would buy the set in a heartbeat! Your pianism greatly enhanced its atmospheric nature -- very subtle use of the damper pedal to provide appropriate resonance. The Hamauzu "Travel Agency" was what I regard as "Smooth Jazz", although I agree that the pentatonic melodic flow evoked the Asian gamelan. A fascinating synthesis of styles, but very satisfying listening. Thanks for sharing!

Sam S #3037227 10/19/20 04:16 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
18 Tim Adrianson – Landscape with Bells (Robert Beaser) Very beautiful! Robert Beaser’s music sounds as if he was “painting” an image with the notes in an impressionistic manner. It is purely amazing what a big variety of less famous music you know.

20 Tim Adrianson – She Moves and Eyes Follow (Jimmy Webb) This is something I rather like, a less famous, romantic composition by one of the really great songwriters of the late 1960s and 1970s. And he is still active.

40 Greta99 – Valsitos para Emilia (Carbajo) When I listened to your fantastic recording I did not expect Víctor Carbajo to be a contemporary composer. He is even younger than I… There’s not only the little waltzes but also little nocturnes for Emilia - according to his website Emilia Sánchez Gallego, whoever that is (?). I have the impression this music was written for a little child but I may be wrong.

41 Greta99 – Waltz E minor (Gribojedow) This lyric waltz complements the valsitos para Emilia in a perfect manner. What a gem! Your rendition is wonderful, not too slow and with a lot of expression. Big surprise: Alexander Gribojedow is not a contemporary composer but was a Russian diplomat who lived from 1795 – 1829.

50 SamS – Graceful Ghost Rag (Bolcom) I agree to 100% - Ragtime is not only Joplin – there are so many other talented composers of rags. I particularly like Joseph Lamb and his “Ragtime Nightingale”. Bolcom is a lucky find for me, thanks for introducing.

Sam S #3037413 10/19/20 01:56 PM
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Another great recital. You would think, being retired, I would have lots of time to listen - you would be wrong... But i finally got a minute or two to get a start on it today - only to get derailed by looking for the sheet music for some of these!

01. Animisha - Gondolieri Very nice - I confess I know nothing about Nevin...

02. PikaPianist - Romance Without Words Op.3 No.1 Wow - how tragic - at least he left us this wonderful piece to play. Excellent!

03. Ruth CM - Homage to Professor Baynov Very sensitive playing - loved it!

04. pianist685 (Constantin) - Preludio en la noche I love it when performers put their own spin on a piece - Excellent!

05. pianist685 (Constantin) - Song to Elitha Maybe I have been listening to too many tangos lately, but this definitely has a tango feel at times. Loved it!

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - Romance S.169 I don't think I have ever heard this one - thanks for playing it!

07. pianist685 (Constantin) - Largo Desperado What fun! Now that is rare!

08. Tim Adrianson - Rondel (for a young girl) Loved this Tim - and I spent 15 minutes trying to find a copy online with no luck. Looks like it is part of a larger piece called Rural Elegy - can't find that either...

09. Tim Adrianson - Serenade Love the evocative feel of this!

10. Tim Adrianson - Nocturne #7 Back when I was a clarinet player I played some Poulenc - but this sounds very different - thanks for sharing!

11. Tim Adrianson - Jeunes Filles au Jardin Very playful and unexpected!

12. Tim Adrianson - Cancion y Danza #7 Love the dance part especially!

More to come!

Sam

Pianist685 #3037419 10/19/20 02:03 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Pianist685
41 Greta99 – Waltz E minor (Gribojedow) This lyric waltz complements the valsitos para Emilia in a perfect manner. What a gem! Your rendition is wonderful, not too slow and with a lot of expression. Big surprise: Alexander Gribojedow is not a contemporary composer but was a Russian diplomat who lived from 1795 – 1829.

Just wanted to add that Alexander Griboedov was also a talented writer, the author of a highly successful comedy in verse "Woe from Wit," which is still quoted from memory by many Russians.

And I agree that Greta99 did an amazing job with this waltz; all her recordings are a pleasure to listen to.

I'll be listening to more submissions this week and over the weekend.

Sam S #3037560 10/19/20 09:28 PM
K
K
Animisha - What a fun and lovely start to the recital! Very nice and soothing.
PikaPianist - Rhythmic, dark, gloomy, brooding. It sounds like a fun piece to play. Quite a shame that the composer passed so young.
Ruth CM - You must tell us more about Woosung! This has a very nostalgic feel to it. Impressive flourishing arpeggio in the middle, and great job with the rubato throughout!
pianist685 - Your playing is beautiful, extremely accurate, and keeps the listener engaged throughout. Must say I love listening to your recordings and look forward to hearing more! Thank you for introducing me to Leucona. I'm impressed by your ability to play in so many different styles as well as compose music! You're truly a well-rounded musician!

Whenever I think of Oscar Peterson I fondly hear his record with the Singers Unlimited performing Sesame Street:

I encourage anyone who hasn't listened to the album to give it a play through. It's an impressive collaboration.

I'm kschwarz1116 on youtube

Unless I mention otherwise, I always like constructive feedback.
Sam S #3037575 10/19/20 10:32 PM
K
K
Tim Adrianson Set 1 - Thank you for sharing your beautiful playing. I was a bit confused while googling Leo Smit for the first time. Turns out there are two composers by the same name. The American Smit sounds very Copland-esque. The Rondel is certainly heart-wrenching. The Mompou has some very healthy dissonance throughout, you pull it off very well. It's a very nice combination of French impressionism with more modern atonality and newer 20th century piano techniques. I think the Jeunes Filles au Jardin might be my favorite of your set.
Melchiorblade7 - ❤️❤️❤️Final Fantasy X brings back so many good memories. You pull off the vibe of this piece very well; I hope I get to hear more. Any plans to take on more of the Piano Collections? They're beautiful arrangements, and none of them are easy.
Tim Adrianson Set 2 - She Moves and Eyes Follow was quite lyric. I hadn't heard it before so it was nice to be able to watch videos of it for the first time too!

All I got for tonight, I'll be back later for more of the recital!

I'm kschwarz1116 on youtube

Unless I mention otherwise, I always like constructive feedback.
Sam S #3037625 10/20/20 04:44 AM
L
L
01. Animisha - Gondolieri

What a lovely little piece to begin the recital! I could just imagine being in Venice.

02. PikaPianist - Romance Without Words Op.3 No.1
This piece is very moving. It is remarkable that Filtsch wrote in such a mature way. When I see what people like this accomplished at such a young age I can’t help but regret how much time I’ve wasted. But I suppose some people are true prodigies. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

03. Ruth CM - Homage to Professor Baynov
It is always interesting to hear the background to a piece of music. It makes a difference to how we listen. I hope Professor Baynov was pleased by this composition. It has a lovely uplifting feel. I’m sure the composer would be delighted that his piece is being played.

04. pianist685 (Constantin) - Preludio en la noche
I thought I recognised this piece! How great it is to have this community online to get inspiration and ideas for pieces to play. You played the piece beautifully.

05. pianist685 (Constantin) - Song to Elitha
This piece is a lovely, light jazz waltz and is very easy to listen to. Your embellishments make it sound quite impressive.

Sam S #3037630 10/20/20 05:31 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Greta99
Danzas Cubanas
What jolly music and lovely playing!

Carbajo Waltzes
Very nice!
Gribojedow Waltz no2
I wish I could play as well as you do. Nice music

Mendelssohn
A beautiful gem!

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037632 10/20/20 05:41 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
JamieCW
Grieg - Arietta
New to me but your playing has inspired me to get this music
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037633 10/20/20 05:44 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Jordan
Sibelius - The spruce
Good choice and well played.

Bowman - Emerald
Oops! spoiled with too loud recording and background noises

Your piano is overdue a tuning!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037637 10/20/20 05:54 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Kepijapa
Nazareth - Confidencias
For me very sad music as for a lost love. Beautiful playing!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037638 10/20/20 05:57 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Lanky Pianist
Pleyal - Sonatina
Bright jolly music played with spirit, well done!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037640 10/20/20 06:04 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Melchiorblade7
Branco - Prelude 7
Dramatic music and your playing was so matched to it.
It made me listen very intently and I enjoyed it.

Hamauzu - Travel Agency
I found this recording rather muffled especially at the bass and mid range.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037641 10/20/20 06:09 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Pianist685
Liszt - Romance 169
A beautiful rendition,
thanks,
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3037642 10/20/20 06:14 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW
Leroy Anderson - Forgotten Dreams
I noticed your posting this and as duplicates are allowed I posted my own. Your playing is so much better than mine and it was interesting listening to the differences in interpretation (or maybe more accurately my timing mistakes!)
I need to get the other pieces of his music especially the Water Mill
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Beemer #3037649 10/20/20 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Beemer
PianogrlNW
I noticed your posting this and as duplicates are allowed I posted my own. Your playing is so much better than mine and it was interesting listening to the differences in interpretation (or maybe more accurately my timing mistakes!)
Ian
Thank you for both versions of Forgotten Dreams. It is one of my favourite pieces to play and finding a copy of a 1954 edition in a hostel where I lived as a student brought me back to playing piano.

Sam S #3037670 10/20/20 08:04 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Commented on some of the YouTube videos I saw.

21. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Forgotten Dreams

I thought this was really nice. Pleasant and relaxing. Although I can't say I know anything about then 50s, but I guess people ate grilled cheese then too ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Beemer #3037943 10/21/20 08:51 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beemer
PianogrlNW
Ian
Oops! The Water Mill is by Ronald Binge not Leroy Anderson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOew5ROUl34
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Sam S #3038973 10/24/20 02:54 PM
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I found some more time to listen - there are some great performances here!

13. Jason Lenthe - In Mixolydian Mode I love Bartok - in small doses! This was just the right sized dose!

14. Melchiorblade7 - Prelude No. 7 Very moody and romantic - well played! I have never heard of this composer.

15. Melchiorblade7 - Travel Agency I'm too old for video games, I'm afraid - is that what this is from? But it sounds intriguing...

16. Tim Adrianson - En Vacances (On Vacation) -- Set 1
17. Tim Adrianson - En Vacances (On Vacation) -- Set 2 This music certainly deserves to be better known. Just outstanding - I especially loved the music box. Thanks so much for playing these!

18. Tim Adrianson - Landscape with Bells It does sound like a landscape with bells - lots of bells!

19. Tim Adrianson - Veiled Autumn (Kindertodeslied) So haunting! A sad gem...

20. Tim Adrianson - She Moves and Eyes Follow Tim, you are a treasure - well done!

21. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Forgotten Dreams Loved it! And I actually had the grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch!

22. Jordan Nylander - The Spruce Well done!

23. Jordan Nylander - Emerald There are so many unknown composers out there writing music like this - very nice!

24. Ganddalf - All through the night (from British melodies)
25. Ganddalf - The wild hills of Clare. From British melodies These are great! In the same manner as the Percy Granger pieces - very nice!

26. Beemer - Forgotten Dreams
27. Beemer - Isle of Innisfree
28. Beemer - Early Autumn
29. Beemer - Bewitched , Bothered and Bewildered I loved all these! Welcome to the recitals!

30. dumka1 - Separation I remember this one! Sounds so Russian - or Ukrainian! Loved it!

31. Kepijapa - Confidencias welcome to the recitals - it sounds very improvised, so I can imagine him playing it for a silent movie. Well done!

32. Lanky Pianist - Sonatina in F major Lots of energy! I have certainly heard of him, but I don't think I have ever heard any of his music. Thanks for playing!

33. Snejana - Evening Stroll If I were playing guess the composer I wouldn't pick Bartok for this - very well done!

34. Kevin1116 - Piano Sonata No.1 'Sonata-Fantasy' Movement I. Vivace Wild and crazy! Loved it!

35. Tyger - Piano Sonata in F# Minor, Movement 1
36. Tyger - Piano Sonata in F# Minor, Movement 2
37. Tyger - Piano Sonata in F# Minor, Movement 3 Outside of the well-worn pieces, Clementi doesn't get much respect - I really enjoyed this!

That's it for now!
Sam

Sam S #3039107 10/25/20 03:58 AM
K
K
Hi All. Thanks lot for organizing these recitals, and thanks for the comments on my playing. For me it was really very good to get some feedback, apparently it was not too bad. I always thought there was something inherently wrong with my playing that I was unable to hear. So now I feel a lot more secure (can you imagine for a 59 year old man to be insecure like that, truly amazing).

I even signed up for the next themed recital. Something I knew how to play, but I just tried, and it is almost completely forgotten, that’s maybe what happens at 59. So some work to do, but april is far away.

I listened to all entries and really love it all. It is very difficult to say something useful, I don’t consider myself expert enough, so don’t take my comments too seriously. Anyway, it was very inspiring to listen to, and it gave me a lot of ideas for things to play.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,253
Posts3,030,345
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission