2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 48 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 47 48
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mickey_
Originally Posted by dmd
2 years ago, I purchased the MP11SE and imagined it was going to be the end-all of digital pianos for years to come.

I just sold it and have the ES920 on order.

That's interesting to hear! May I ask you what made you replace the MP11SE with an ES920? Is it the greater choice of voices, or the lower weight, or...?

Lack of internal speakers and weight and size and bluetooth.

And .... the early accolades on the ES920 activated my natural tendency to want the next "best" thing. LOL ....

I owned the ES7 and the ES8 and for both of those I found the keybed to be exceptional and the internal speaker system was very good on both.

I like the sound coming from the instrument and not from someplace away from the instrument.

If I use a VST, I can also pipe it back into my ES920 and out the internal speakers AND I can blend the internal sound with the VST sound and hear it from my instrument.

I can also add some external speakers and blend that sound into the one coming from the ES920.

So ... a lot of factors came into the decision.

The MP11SE is a great instrument ... but been there ... done that.

Last edited by dmd; 10/15/20 07:01 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
M
Thanks, dmd (Don), for taking the time to explain your reasoning behind this move – a move that, to me, seemed like a downgrade at first, but they way you're describing it, it really is more of a lateral move. What you're writing absolutely makes sense.

I hope you'll get your ES920 soon, and I wish you lots of fun with it!

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mickey_
Thanks, dmd (Don), for taking the time to explain your reasoning behind this move...

+1, thanks Don!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
R
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Gustavo Guerra
...I want it to last many years and not change again

Well, good luck with that.
smile

2 years ago, I purchased the MP11SE and imagined it was going to be the end-all of digital pianos for years to come.

And you have the es110, right? So comparative reviews are called for!!!!

Last edited by Randyman; 10/16/20 01:36 AM.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Randyman
Originally Posted by dmd

smile

And you have the es110, right? So comparative reviews are called for!!!!

No, I do not have the ES110.

I have it on order but product is back-ordered.

I wanted to get it while I wait for the ES920.

If I do not get the ES110 soon, I probably will cancel that order for the ES110.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Only now I watched the official Kawai videos and smiled because they are so "musically" edited. 😀

L
L
Originally Posted by dmd
[quote=Mickey_][quote=dmd]

If I use a VST, I can also pipe it back into my ES920 and out the internal speakers AND I can blend the internal sound with the VST sound and hear it from my instrument.

DMD, please, may you explain us how is it possibile to hear n external VST from internal speaker? I'm very interested to this chance. Do you use a PC?
Luca

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lucac
Originally Posted by dmd
[quote=Mickey_][quote=dmd]

DMD, please, may you explain us how is it possibile to hear n external VST from internal speaker? I'm very interested to this chance. Do you use a PC?
Luca

Well, you need an AUDIO IN jack on your instrument.

I use a PC connected to my external audio interface and the output from the audio interface is sent to the AUDIO IN on my instrument.

Don

A
A
[Linked Image]

The piano technician at WD Greenhill working on behalf of Kawai to fix the slightly rubbing B key on my ES920.

After Humpty Dumpty was put together again, it's now working perfectly.

The root cause was expected to be a little missing grease from the key guide, but was actually due to a slightly misshapen key. It was a straightforward swap.

Very happy with the ES920. Someone mentioned earlier about the Bluetooth audio being useful for learning - I can confirm that works really well. I often learn with headphones on, and to seamlessly play and listen to a guide track is a really useful feature. It's easy to pause, play, and move on, all with the headphones in play too.

R
R
Originally Posted by Adem
[Linked Image]

The piano technician at WD Greenhill working on behalf of Kawai to fix the slightly rubbing B key on my ES920.

After Humpty Dumpty was put together again, it's now working perfectly.

The root cause was expected to be a little missing grease from the key guide, but was actually due to a slightly misshapen key. It was a straightforward swap.

Very happy with the ES920. Someone mentioned earlier about the Bluetooth audio being useful for learning - I can confirm that works really well. I often learn with headphones on, and to seamlessly play and listen to a guide track is a really useful feature. It's easy to pause, play, and move on, all with the headphones in play too.

Hmmmm... don't know if I've seen dedicated boxes to enclose the speakers of a board before. And I guessing, being that the single speaker of each side is facing upwards, that the hole we see facing downwards would be for a passive sub. Do you hear an increase in bass if you put the board on a desk vs putting it on an open stand?

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
A
A
[Linked Image]

Yes, I think you're right.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hmmmm... don't know if I've seen dedicated boxes to enclose the speakers of a board before. And I guessing, being that the single speaker of each side is facing upwards, that the hole we see facing downwards would be for a passive sub.

Built in speaker boxes are part of several console-style pianos, so they're not all that unusual. I'm guessing the hole is a bass-reflex port.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Hmmmm... don't know if I've seen dedicated boxes to enclose the speakers of a board before. And I guessing, being that the single speaker of each side is facing upwards, that the hole we see facing downwards would be for a passive sub.

Built in speaker boxes are part of several console-style pianos, so they're not all that unusual. I'm guessing the hole is a bass-reflex port.

It is basically the same as in ES8. I agree with you about the port.

[Linked Image]

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dmd

smile

Why would you do that? I own the MP11. What does the 920 have that is better than the flagship?

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Ah, now I see. It's all about the internal speakers for you. For me, it's about the keybed and not much else. Most professional stage pianos don't have internal speakers. Useless except for monitors unless only for a really small gig. Different strokes....

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by musicman100
Does the kawai app work with the 520 and 920? I have looked at the web site but not sure.

Not yet, however a forthcoming update to add support for the CA49, CA59, ES520, and ES920 should be released shortly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Here we go:

https://www.kawai-global.com/news/ca49_ca59_es520_es920_software_update_v110/

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
Quick demo since fixing the key. Just a line out via Roland Go to my phone. No DAW or PC etc. Will try to do a proper video in the next couple of weeks.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
Ah, now I see. It's all about the internal speakers for you. For me, it's about the keybed and not much else. Most professional stage pianos don't have internal speakers. Useless except for monitors unless only for a really small gig. Different strokes....

Sorry that I did not respond to your question. Just missed it, I guess.

But .... yes, you are right. It is internal speakers AND BlueTooth audio AND (this may seem odd) even though the key action is considered very high quality (and it is) .... I find it a bit slow on the up-stroke. Mind you, I have no scientific data to back that up ...,. It is just a sense I have as I play. It may not be true at all.

AND .... the weight is also something that I have grown weary of ... even though I seldom move it .... I know .... seems silly .... but there it is.

Don

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax

Sorry that I did not respond to your question. Just missed it, I guess.

But .... yes, you are right. It is internal speakers AND BlueTooth audio AND (this may seem odd) even though the key action is considered very high quality (and it is) .... I find it a bit slow on the up-stroke. Mind you, I have no scientific data to back that up ...,. It is just a sense I have as I play. It may not be true at all.

AND .... the weight is also something that I have grown weary of ... even though I seldom move it .... I know .... seems silly .... but there it is.

Hey, no problem! I can't have a heavy piano here. I have to move it outside to play each day. My 80 pound Kawai MP11 is 3000 miles away, I don't move it at all. 25 pound ES-110 is doable.

Which is slow on the upstroke for you? I play fast be bop, no problem, MP11 and ES-110. 110 can't do fast repeated notes like Chick, though..... Not triple sensor.

M
M
Another Unboxing and Review video for the ES920, including matching stand.

The reviewer says he took up playing the piano just nine months ago, so his approach certainly differs from that of an advanced player or a sales professional. The video is in German.

(No, that's not a lamp. That's his dog. :-))

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Page 26 of 48 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission