2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome to a "Rare Gems" themed recital. Links to the recordings are in the posts following this one. Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Thread for this recital.

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, and the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

zip1
zip2
zip3
zip4
zip5

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Have fun listening, and remember, post your comments in the Discussion Thread.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Animisha
Experience:3 years of scattered "self-teaching"; 2.5 years since teacher-guided restart
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/hyUOfqZXM8g
Title of piece:Gondolieri
Composer:Ethelbert Nevin
Duration:01:34
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Casio PX150 + Pianoteq Bechstein
Recording method:Audio: pianoteq to macbook, Video: iphone
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is an easier arrangement of the original piece.

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dmfUvM2MQw
Title of piece:Romance Without Words Op.3 No.1
Composer:Filtsch
Duration:03:35
Instrument used:Estonia L210 (2018)
Recording method:Zoom H5
Additional info:Carl Filtsch (1830 - 1845) was a Transylvanian pianist and composer. He was a child prodigy, and a student of Chopin. Chopin considered Filtsch the most worthy interpreter of his music.

What a rare gem! During the first time listening to this piece, I nearly teared up in the middle section when that Major modulation (1:52) emerges so unexpectedly out of nowhere, embracing you and liberating you from all that melancholy. In this piece, Filtsch seems to have combined the modest simplicity of Schubert and the graceful romanticism of Chopin. I still am in awe that he was only aged 13 when this piece was published, and passed away just before his 15th birthday from tuberculosis. Imagine the music he could've created had he lived a full adult life! It is such a shame that such talent was never fully realised to its true potential. A special thank you to one of my subscribers, Will Jolliffe, for introducing me to this obscure composer!

I took a fair share of 'creative license' when interpreting this piece. I slightly modified some sections of this piece that are extremely awkward to play, especially with small hands. Furthermore, I loved the bass melody theme so much, I decided to bring it back at the end! The short concluding coda section is my homage to Chopin's E minor Etude Op.25 No.5, which I found strangely fitting. Without it, I feel like the end is lacking in something.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ruth CM
Experience:11 years, returned to piano about a year ago.
Title of piece:Homage to Professor Baynov
Composer:Woosung Kang
Duration:03:32
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova C440
Recording method:Digital to USB
Additional info:One of my former piano teachers introduced me to this piece. It was written by a student of his good friend, Professor Tomislav Baynov, for the professor when he was diagnosed with an illness (he has since recovered).
I love this piece because it is a "rare gem": it requires an improvisational feel and I am free to play it with the tempo/rubato/pauses that I feel fit the piece.
Thanks as always to Sam for organizing these recitals and keeping us on our toes with practice!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 35+ years of playing without a teacher since
Home page link:https://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Preludio en la noche
Composer:Ernesto Lecuona
Duration:02:40
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with retrofit Pianodisc silencer
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI-out to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, directly recorded from Kontakt Player with Savihost plugin
Additional info:I came across this fantastic rare piece in recital #59 and had to try it myself. Here is the result. Lecuona was unofficially called the Cuban Gershwin. He was a very talented pianist, though I do not like his own recording of this piece. His rendition is too fast, quite random and kind of improvised. The sheet music I found on the IMSLP is better, but there are still three issues that should be amended in the score. I added my comment on the IMSLP work page. Alas, my recording is not perfect, either, there are some bloopers in the middle. If you find them you can keep them ;-) Furthermore, I wonder if the title of this piece is appropriate because those full chords in fff would wake everybody up, haha.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 35+ years of playing without a teacher since
Title of piece:Song to Elitha
Composer:Oscar Peterson
Duration:03:15
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI-out to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, directly recorded from Kontakt Player with Savihost plugin
Additional info:This is a less famous slow waltz by Oscar Peterson who wrote it for his sister. The sheet music I used is a transcription by Greener's former piano teacher. Thanks to Greener for sending me the score. The impro/variation in the middle and the trills and ornaments are mine.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Romance S.169
Composer:Franz Liszt
Duration:03:55
Additional info:This piece may not be as rare as most of the other pieces in this recital, but it still is a composition that is less frequently performed. Lang Lang rediscovered it, so to say, and reintroduced it to his audience a couple of years ago.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Largo Desperado
Composer:Constantin Stephan
Duration:03:50
https://imslp.simssa.ca/files/imglnks/usimg/c/c9/IMSLP606153-PMLP975126-Stephan-LargoDesperado.pdf
Instrument used:Sauter with retrofit Pianodisc silencer
Recording method:Harpsichord sound of the silent system captured from second headphone jack with Jaytech audio grabber
Additional info:I am probably the least famous composer in the world, so I hope I have the right to feature in this recital. This is a modern composition (not sure if it is a gem) for harpsichord, influenced by Baroque music - the beginning is in fact an impro on Handel's famous Sarabande, though in 4/4 time, and I am deviating into a Phrygian mode as a reference to a possibly Mexican setting. The desperado is on his way. Be careful, he might be dangerous...

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:65+ years
Title of piece:Rondel (for a young girl)
Composer:Leo Smit
Duration:03:42
Source of music:Sheet Music (Piano & Keyboard magazine)
Instrument used:Kawai Baby Grand 5.5'.
Recording method:TASCAM 40 320 MB
Additional info:Leo Smit was an American pianist of Russian background, making his mark as a spokesman for the new American music of Copland, Barber, Diamond, Persichetti, et al, in the 1940s and 50s. I personally still have his cassette "An American Crazyquilt", an album devoted to various genres of 20th century American piano music. He was also a composer, and this piece "Rondel (for a Young Girl)" he shared as part of an interview with Piano & Keyboard magazine in 1999 (he died later that same year). It has a n American Western flavor that for me transcends the cornball and the trite -- it is thoroughly charming in its slightly awkward simplicity.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Serenade
Composer:Richard Danielpour
Duration:02:35
Source of music:Sheet Music (Piano & Keyboard magazine)
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' baby grand
Recording method:TASCAM 40 320 Mb
Additional info:Richard Danielpour is a contemporary American composer, well-known in both the opera and orchestral worlds. He shared his "Serenade" as part of an interview with Piano & Keyboard magazine in 1999. For me, the piece projects his style perfectly with a minimum of both notes and gesture.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Nocturne #7
Composer:Francis Poulenc
Duration:03:52
Source of music:Sheet Music (Huegel)
Additional info:Francis Poulenc is I would say the best-known of a group of French composers emerging in the early 20s that referred to themselves simply as "the Six". They sought to remove the "heavy", serious Germanic quality of late-Romantic Classical in various ways. The Nocturne #7 was written in 1935, and is IMO vintage Poulenc -- very illustrative of his style.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Jeunes Filles au Jardin
Composer:Federico Mompou
Duration:03:08
Source of music:Sheet Music (Salabert)
Instrument used:Kawai baby grand 5.5'
Additional info:I consider Federico Mompou to be the king of the "little gem" -- virtually all of his music is small in scale, but exquisitely crafted. "Jeunes Filles au Jardin" is from a suite of piano pieces from the early 20s, entitled "Jeu". It is wonderfully atmospheric -- the young girls are very classy indeed!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Cancion y Danza #7
Composer:Federico Mompou
Duration:03:35
Source of music:Sheet Music (Edw. Marks)
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Additional info:Mompou prepared Cancion-Danza diptychs throughout his life - 14 in all; 13 for piano and 1 for guitar. The Cancion is typically an arrangement of a Spanish folk song, and the Danza that of a typical Spanish rhythm. They are ALL worthwhile, but I think that #7, composed in 1945, is the most beautiful.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Video link:https://youtu.be/vQT_JTnvp_g
Title of piece:In Mixolydian Mode
Composer:Bela Bartok
Duration:00:50
Instrument used:Cunningham Parlour Grand
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:This practice/study piece, from Bartok's Mikrokosmos Book #2, seems quite easy at first glance of the score. Only note per hand is played at a time. There are no stretches, no jumps, no crossovers, no tricky fingerings. But the challenge lies in the rhythm. The piece is in 5/4 time and heavily syncopated. This is the first (and only) piece I've ever played in 5/4 time. It was a challenge at first to play in 5/4 time, but now it seems natural and makes me wonder why 5/4 time isn't used more often.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Melchiorblade7
Experience:7 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syi6M7_rfQg
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZZZyIUTb_Kw2-DIS41waA
Title of piece:Prelude No. 7
Composer:Freitas Branco
Duration:02:30
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius
Recording method:Line-in Presonus
Additional info:Just some of my thoughts on this piece--
--This prelude starts with a whole tone sequence that sets off a mysterious and somewhat lethargic lifeless mood. As the main melody kicks in with the right-hand octaves some life is introduced with romanticism and passion with the climax soon after. The piece ends with a dreamlike ascending passage ending on a positive and hopeful cadence. I imagine in my mind someone waking up from dreaming as the octaves kick in at around 00:25.

Last edited by Sam S; 10/15/20 06:37 AM.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Melchiorblade7
Experience:7 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PanJcIPMfl0
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZZZyIUTb_Kw2-DIS41waA
Title of piece:Travel Agency
Composer:Masashi Hamauzu
Duration:02:39
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius
Recording method:Line-in using Presonus
Additional info:The theme is from the video game Final Fantasy X and has been completely reworked by the original composer Masashi Hamauzu. He has composed many solo piano works, including his Opus 4 Etudes, which I hold in high esteem. He tends to compose in an impressionistic style. Here, you can hear jazz influences along with javanese gamelan Debussy-like figurations.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:En Vacances (On Vacation) -- Set 1
Composer:Deodat de Severac
Duration:06:24
Source of music:Sheet Music (Ludwig Masters)
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby grand
Additional info:Deodat de Severac is one of my favorites. He was born and worked in Languedoc, a region of southern France bordering Spain. He was contemporaneous with Debussy, Ravel, and Albeniz, and knew them all personally. "En Vacances" is a series of pieces that traces the childhood experiences of a girl, say, 6-10 years old at the family castle and the nearby park. It's similar to Schumann's "Kinderszenen" in intention, and in fact the first piece is entitled "Invocation to Schumann". I've provided three pieces in Set 1 -- "Grandma's Caresses", when the child first arrives; "The Cousin's Visit", presumably a couple of other girls, and "Round in the Park", probably dancing in a park adjacent to the castle.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:En Vacances (On Vacation) -- Set 2
Composer:Deodat de Severac
Duration:06:14
Source of music:Sheet Music (Ludwig Masters)
Additional info:Set 2 is comprised of two pieces: "Where one can hear an old music box", and "Romantic Waltz". The first of these is often played by itself as a charming encore piece; it was one of de Severac's best known pieces during his lifetime. "Romantic Waltz" has, in the context of the suite, a bittersweet quality -- it is, I believe, the depiction of the girl now a woman, dancing at some type of ball several years later. Rather similar to Wendy in the last scene of "Peter Pan".

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Landscape with Bells
Composer:Robert Beaser
Duration:04:38
Source of music:Sheet Music (European American)
Additional info:Robert Beaser is an American composer, born in Boston in 1954, who was probably best known for his adaptation of Appalachian folk songs for solo guitar. Concerning "Landscape with Bells", he writes: "...a 'portrait in miniature,' was composed in August of 1986 during an especially bucolic summer sojourn spent at 'Les Oiseaux,' a private country estate in Tarreytown (sic), New York. There amongst the well-trimmed lawns, the duck ponds and wisteria, I began to enjoy an otherworldly mix of tranquility and euphoria experienced so rarely in one's life. As a result, I began producing a series of 'Bell' pieces, etching a semblance of my natural and manicured surroundings, drawing upon the distant yet everpresent aroma of bells, both real and imagined."

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Veiled Autumn (Kindertodeslied)
Composer:Joseph Schwantner
Duration:04:38
Source of music:Sheet Music (European American -- Schott)
Additional info:Joseph Schwantner is an American composer born in Chicago in 1943. He's probably best-known for his orchestral poems. This is what he wrote about "Veiled Autumn" -- "...a brief elegiac character piece for piano. The title provides the poetic backdrop for the introspective, reflective and somewhat dark-hued tone and character of the piece." Please note the subtitle, translated -- "Song on the the death of children". For me, this piece is truly haunting, a wonderful depiction of grief and loss. Some "little gems" are sad!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission