2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Her forearms are also extremely muscular.

She calls them her "Little Schwarzeneggers". 😀

She said so in an interview about practising.

Both are fine pianists but my preference is for Trifonov only because he plays more well rounded repertoire with amazing nuanced technique vs Lisitsa who eagerly displays virtuosity in sections where raw virtuosity is not called for in a score (especially her nocturnes which she plays too aggressively for my liking).

As to my experience, my YouTube channel is on my signature line which anyone can access and judge. I took lessons for 6 years as a child then returned to formal lessons 2 years ago as a returning hobbyist in my 40s. Learning to play the piano well is indeed a lifetime journey and many pianists will appeal to different listeners for various reasons, so to say 1 is better than another is difficult especially if you are pitting 2 pianists who are highly trained and accomplished..its really which one plays your favorite pieces w an interpretation that grabs you more than another pianist’s performance.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I feel like live nocturne recordings are hit or miss for all players, because if they've not gone through post the dynamics are never as good as post-processed CD-versions. Typically it's just too loud playing soft doesn't work well for a live performance, so maybe they have to compensate, and it ruins the intended sound on the pages.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Her forearms are also extremely muscular.

She calls them her "Little Schwarzeneggers". 😀

She said so in an interview about practising.

It must be the secret to her piano powers.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Of those two I refer Yefim Bronfman.

My qualifications: talentless hack

Gary
F
F
They are both extraordinary pianists and as musicians better than most. It doesn't matter who I prefer. If I was granted the wish that I could spend a day talking music and piano with one or the other but the genie got to decide which, well, I would be the happiest man alive on that day.

Just do it. -- Nike
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
I think ranking pianists is like ranking composers. Unless one has very specific criteria, and an ability to rate against those, it all boils down to general personal taste. In which case, i would think you will find just as many people who would prefer one or the other, and a good share that would like both or none. In any case i doubt the responses in this thread will give you any statistically valid data.

Blüthner model 6
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
This thread is frankly goofy. One person has had an internet argument over which of two pianists is better. I can say I know Lisitsa's playing better, she's very good. I listened to some of Trifonov, he's also very good. I will say reading this thread got me to listen to Lisitsa's Hammerklavier fugue, what a wonderful job of playing a very difficult piece. Then I searched for her Liszt Sonata, there were four of them, so I chose a 2018 live performance. I was time limited so didn't listen to the whole thing. I did hear more than a few clams, then skipped to the fugue. It was rushed and perfunctory. I got fed up and tried her 2014 live performance, it was also rushed and had clams. So then I listen to Trifonov play the Liszt Sonata, again skipping to the fugue after a bit of the beginning. It's not perfect either, but definitely cleaner than Lisitsa, but I disagreed with some of the interpretation. So I decided I still prefer Argerich for the Liszt Sonata. ;-P

This is still a silly thread, I mean who cares what somebody else thinks. And has anyone changed another person's opinion based on an internet argument? But I did listen to some fine piano playing, and certainly better than I can play.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 10/17/20 01:10 PM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but are we talking steel cage match here or more of a traditional boxing ring? MMA rules or something else? I need to know more if I am to offer an informed opinion.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but are we talking steel cage match here or more of a traditional boxing ring? MMA rules or something else? I need to know more if I am to offer an informed opinion.

Lisitsa's arms are quite long so it may not stand out from a wide shot, but she's got big arms in general, and very thick forearms.

She'd probably win either rule set.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Both should play the same Einaudi piece for us to compare and judge who the better pianist is.

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/18/20 10:02 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Both should play the same Einaudi piece for us to compare and judge who the better pianist is.

Do we really need another Einaudi slamming thread?

B
B
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The pianists in Pianist Corner (whose mainstays are simple pieces of no great profundity like Islamey, Hammerklavier and Gaspard, plus the odd Minuet in B# minor) are totally, hopelessly unqualified to judge performances of the great Italian composer's wonderfully complex piano music.

We would need to import the judges from the Einaudi thread in ABF who specialize in his music and, I believe, travel around the world to his concerts, and therefore know exactly how his music should be played.

Or not played.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
A
Trifonov is brilliant player although with the occasional tasteless interpretation.

Lisitsa is a tasteless player with the occasional brilliant interpretation.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Well, I don't know - my pianistic qualifications are pretty dismal, but I have been playing / listening for a long time.
I like Lisitsa's playing very much and she tends to be a 'go to' for me (her Beethoven 'Hammerclavier' was an 'eye-opener' for me - such a wonderful 4th movement - and she has done some really nice Chopin nocturnes) but I have rarely come across Trifinov so will look out for him. In part, of course, it is probably because youtube tends to bring up recommendations based on past history that Lisitsa's playing often pops up my screen, but I'm not complaining!

It's nice to hear good pianists play and recommendations are always welcome.

regards
Pete
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission