2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 79 of 108 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 107 108
T
T
Finally completed 'Carol of the Bells'.

I got 100% earlier today but I’m a bit funny about red notes and I’m not happy until I’ve eliminated them all. Unfortunately, in this case, it was a single note in the last line that I kept hitting too soon.

2 hours later, I finally cracked it. smile

I think that I could play this blindfolded now.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by treefrog

I got 100% earlier today but I’m a bit funny about red notes and I’m not happy until I’ve eliminated them all. Unfortunately, in this case, it was a single note in the last line that I kept hitting too soon.

Good work! Those red dots can drive us to perfection and drive us to wasting time banging the keys over and over to then come back next day and easily get all green ahah.

Last edited by Sebs; 09/12/20 07:14 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by Sebs

Good work! Those red dots can drive us to perfection and drive us to wasting time banging the keys over and over to then come back next day and easily get all green ahah.

This was an unfortunate one. There’s a rest for a whole bar and then you have to hit the note at the correct time but my brain had other ideas on when that note should be struck.

I felt like I had to get it wrong to get it right smile

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Prepare yourself for a serious ear worm ... I learned that piece 2 months ago, and every time I start learning something new I hear those bells back ... ta tata ta ta tata ta etc. And sometimes just before I'm going to sleep too. laugh

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
_
_
Good Morning! I hope I'm not hijacking a thread. I am about to start level 5. I am confused - where in the world are the scales D flat and B Major?

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by _DavidV_
Good Morning! I hope I'm not hijacking a thread. I am about to start level 5. I am confused - where in the world are the scales D flat and B Major?

Good Morning, In technique level 6A ? And if you really want to practice all the scales, search the library for "Scale Ninja" or "Baros Piano Studio"

_
_
Originally Posted by Sarah65

Good Morning, In technique level 6A ? And if you really want to practice all the scales, search the library for "Scale Ninja" or "Baros Piano Studio"

Huh, yeah, I see it there - but it's as a "full combo" mixed in with the other scales. It's also used in one of the "Twinkle Twinkle ...." practices in 5E. There is no two octave practices, arpeggio, and chords as there are for the other keys, and I don't see D flat anywhere.

Anyway, I wonder what's the deal with that? Are they just unimportant, rarely used keys?

Thanks for the scale ninja suggestion. I'm going to revisit that.

T
T

Huh, yeah, I see it there - but it's as a "full combo" mixed in with the other scales. It's also used in one of the "Twinkle Twinkle ...." practices in 5E. There is no two octave practices, arpeggio, and chords as there are for the other keys, and I don't see D flat anywhere.

Anyway, I wonder what's the deal with that? Are they just unimportant, rarely used keys?

Thanks for the scale ninja suggestion. I'm going to revisit that.

If you drop me your email you use for PM, I'll share a late intermediate technique book I created in Piano Marvel a while back to help get my technique back. It's fairly comprehensive... includes parallel scales/chord inversions/arpeggios in every major and minor key as well as chromatic scales. Tempo for each exercise is comparable to RCM grade 6/7.

Last edited by thejca; 10/04/20 03:07 PM.
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
If you drop me your email you use for PM, I'll share a late intermediate technique book I created in Piano Marvel a while back to help get my technique back. It's fairly comprehensive... includes parallel scales/chord inversions/arpeggios in every major and minor key as well as chromatic scales. Tempo for each exercise is comparable to RCM grade 6/7.

Is there fingering everywhere? I often miss that in technical exercises, and as a beginner you really need that. If so, I am also interested in your book. I also have a lot of uploads, so if you want something just ask.

_
_
Thanks a lot, I sent you a private message with my email!

I think this is much needed and thanks for putting one together!

T
T

Is there fingering everywhere? I often miss that in technical exercises, and as a beginner you really need that. If so, I am also interested in your book. I also have a lot of uploads, so if you want something just ask.

Fingering isn't included as it was more meant for myself to assist in catching back up to my original level (RCM 8-9 tech).

Does anyone happen to know how one goes about uploading content to the main Piano Marvel library, so it's available for everyone?

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by thejca
[quote=Sarah65]
Does anyone happen to know how one goes about uploading content to the main Piano Marvel library, so it's available for everyone?
You cannot add that yourself. You can send an email to the support team and ask if they are interested in adding it to the library.
suzette@pianomarvel.com

T
T
I’m on 'Sunrise'.

When I play it as fast as I can, it tells me that I need to knock 14 seconds off of my time.

I love it.

I love the challenges that this app throws at me. It knows me better than I know myself. I can knock those 14 seconds off ..... and some.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I’m on 'Sunrise'.

When I play it as fast as I can, it tells me that I need to knock 14 seconds off of my time.

I love it.

I love the challenges that this app throws at me. It knows me better than I know myself. I can knock those 14 seconds off ..... and some.

I skipped that, that's way too fast for me. And difficult compared to what comes next ... Joy to the world and My Bonnie. I can't handle anything above 100 BPM I hate fast challenge :p

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and didn't want to read all 79 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has been asked before.
I just subscribed To Piano Marvel at age 67, trying to renew the skills I had 50 years ago.

One piece I would like to learn is Schrubert's Serenade, but when I found it on PM it is a really truncated version that omits the 4 measures that I have a problem learning. Am I missing something? IS the complete version available? I would think that since it is openly available, cost is not an issue.

I have a 2nd question as well. I am red/green colorblind, so the red and greed notes look the same to me. Is there a fix for that?

I appreciate the help, thanks.
Bill

Last edited by trooplewis; 10/14/20 01:09 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
T
T
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and didn't want to read all 79 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has been asked before.
I just subscribed To Piano Marvel at age 67, trying to renew the skills I had 50 years ago.

One piece I would like to learn is Schrubert's Serenade, but when I found it on PM it is a really truncated version that omits the 4 measures that I have a problem learning. Am I missing something? IS the complete version available? I would think that since it is openly available, cost is not an issue.

I have a 2nd question as well. I am red/green colorblind, so the red and greed notes look the same to me. Is there a fix for that?

Bill

Hi trooplewis and welcome.

Was it the level 6 (38 bar) version that you found on PM?

Although I haven’t done it myself, I believe that there is a way of uploading music to Piano Marvel. I’m sure that somebody will be along to help you with that.

I haven’t seen any settings within PM for the colour blind.
I am also red/green colour blind and have had no problems with PM on my iPad. What sort of device are you using? Maybe playing around with the display settings on your device may help.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Although I haven’t done it myself, I believe that there is a way of uploading music to Piano Marvel. I’m sure that somebody will be along to help you with that.

I am also red/green colour blind and have had no problems with PM on my iPad. What sort of device are you using? Maybe playing around with the display settings on your device may help.

Yes, it was the Level 6 version. It is very close in terms of notes to my sheet music, but mine has 78 bars.

Casio PX-S3000

Yes, it was the Level 6 version. It is very close in terms of notes to my sheet music, but mine has 78 bars.

Look under the Accessibility area on IOS devices. There are a few settings there to help those who have color blindness.

Where words fail, music speaks. - Hans Christian Andersen
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Bill

Welcome. I'm 69, but restarted 3 years ago after a 56 year gap. I've been subscribed to Piano Marvel almost the full three years.

Some comments
1. It all came back with about 6 weeks of hard work (and a teacher). I then progresses rapidly upward from there. My hand position is totally natural (from I guess learning it when I was 5)
2. I used Piano Marvel to refresh and then improve my skills - I worked my way through all the exercises in Method and Technique sections scoring 100% before moving on. I ultimately got stuck in the beginnings of level 6
3 I don't tend to use Piano Marvel for the piece I am learning - preferring to use a paper copy. PM is useful to learn the notes, but once you've got there its all a bit robotic. However see my next point
4. It is useful to practice very tricky small sections. You can use Musescore to edit a score, upload it to PM and make exercises from it. I use the IPAD app, which doesn't have an upload capability, but you can log into your account from any desktop computer (I have a linux desktop) and upload and edit exercises there and then access them in an ipad.
5. These days I pretty much use PM only for Sight Reading practice. I try and take a regular SASR test
6. I am not aware of any way to change the red and green

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the input people, it has been helpful.

I do have another couple questions, the first is regarding Ear Training. Do you find it helpful?
I am probably at a level 5C on everything except Ear Training which I have never had or felt a need for. With Ear Training I'm at 1C...!!

Secondly, has anyone guesstimated the correlation between the levels in PM and Hanon exercises? It looks to me like once you hit scales and arpeggios in Hanon you are at a solid level 6 in PM. Thoughts?

Last edited by trooplewis; 10/15/20 01:38 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Page 79 of 108 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission