2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
71 members (adoser, clothearednincompo, accordeur, anotherscott, Beowulf, 8ude, Anglagard44, 16 invisible), 569 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 167 of 176 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 175 176
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
David B #3035312 10/13/20 06:42 PM
A
A
Agh I am so stuck, perhaps somewhere here can help - I've read through this whole thread and I'm still not entirely sure how to make my Android work with the N1X.

So, I used my Android (Galaxy 9+) charging cord (USB on one side, micro-b on the other) and plugged it into the USB port that says "USB to Device" and then into my phone. The Smart Pianist app will NOT recognize it. I have restarted the phone, turned the piano off and on, re-installed the app, and it just won't connect. I'm super frustrated. Am I doing something wrong? Using the wrong cable? I don't own any Apple devices.

Also, if I do get it to work - is there a way to have the sound from the piano running into my Android while I record video of me playing, so the sound is crisp and synced up with the video? I feel like such a Luddite, I have no idea how any of this works.

PS, I am still LOVING the piano. I got it May of 2019, so about a year and a half now. Everything about it is just perfect (well, except for this issue!)

Last edited by Amy C; 10/13/20 06:42 PM.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
David B #3035314 10/13/20 06:47 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The piano is speaking to you, saying ...
Play the piano, not the phone.
Play the piano, not the phone.
Play the piano, not the phone. smile

MacMacMac #3035322 10/13/20 07:09 PM
A
A
@Macmacmac haha, fortunately I use the piano far more than I use the phone! It's for my piano lessons - I am trying to get a clear sound, as we are doing everything by distance nowadays and the quality of the sound is a problem for both my teacher and I. Its hard to make fine-tuned adjustments to things like a delicate Bach fugue when the sound is so flattened!

Last edited by Amy C; 10/13/20 07:14 PM.
David B #3035323 10/13/20 07:16 PM
The USB to device port is for connecting a flash drive, allowing you to record the piano.

If you want to connect to your phone, use the USB to host port.
Refer to page 40 of the manual ("Transmitting/Receiving Audio").
But I'm not sure that will do what you want ...

David B #3035330 10/13/20 07:40 PM
A
A
Oh thank you! I will give that a shot!

Amy C #3035341 10/13/20 08:18 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Amy C
Oh thank you! I will give that a shot!

Yes that's the main issue. You need to connect to the piano USB-B port a USB cable (like the one for printers), not the phone charging cable. You will then need and adapter from that USB-A (the other side of the "printer" cable, which you could use to connect the piano to a computer) to either USB-C or micro-A, depending on what your phone has. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB for details on connector shapes.

But as Mac3 said, I don't think you can do what you I guess you want. To solve the problem of poor quality during lessons (which I have myself too), you have 3 options:

1) use a laptop instead of a phone -- marginal increase of quality but it may be good enough (it is most of the time for me).

2) record yourself right before (or even during) the lesson (the piano will record high quality WAV or MIDI) and send that to your teacher by email to discuss during the videolessons

3) use internetMIDI. Both you and your teacher will need to purchase it, and you both will need to have a laptop and a digital piano connected together via MIDI (so it won't work if your teacher has an acoustic piano and/or only a phone). It's on sale till the end of the year, and it has a demo option, limited in time which you can use to test. It's somewhat hidden in their website: make sure to dig it if you care about that.

I have personally done 1) and 2) and my teacher and I are thinking about 3) but we both are dragging our feet on it, since it requires a bit more setup efforts than the other two options (check their explanation videos), and these other two are sufficient for us most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Amy C #3035398 10/14/20 12:34 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Also, if I do get it to work - is there a way to have the sound from the piano running into my Android while I record video of me playing, so the sound is crisp and synced up with the video? I feel like such a Luddite, I have no idea how any of this works.
I don’t know about the Android devices, however when the iPhone is connected with a USB cable to the piano, you can record video with the phone and the high quality digital audio from the piano will be recorded instead of the microphone sound, perfectly in sync. So, by an extension, it should also work with the Android device. You may just need to use the proper cable, as suggested.

On the iPhone that works automatically. If it doesn’t work with Android, you may have to select the Yamaha audio interface as an audio input somewhere on the phone perhaps. Someone using Android devices should help here.

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/14/20 12:39 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Amy C #3035506 10/14/20 11:07 AM
A
A
Agh I am so stuck, perhaps somewhere here can help - I've read through this whole thread and I'm still not entirely sure how to make my Android work with the N1X.

So, I used my Android (Galaxy 9+) charging cord (USB on one side, micro-b on the other) and plugged it into the USB port that says "USB to Device" and then into my phone. The Smart Pianist app will NOT recognize it. I have restarted the phone, turned the piano off and on, re-installed the app, and it just won't connect. I'm super frustrated. Am I doing something wrong? Using the wrong cable? I don't own any Apple devices.

PS, I am still LOVING the piano. I got it May of 2019, so about a year and a half now. Everything about it is just perfect (well, except for this issue!)

Had the same issue and went and use my printer cable which has one end that looks like a "D" and plugged it in the port for that end that is on the side of the N1X next to the midi and aux out ones. the other end is a regular USB one, then I plugged that end to a USB to device thingy and it worked. Ill take a photo and upload it later today. Also, be sure your device appears in this list!
https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1193040/

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 10/14/20 11:08 AM.
David B #3035517 10/14/20 11:50 AM
A
A
That was it! It worked. I ordered a cable that fit that USB to Host plug and my phone from Amazon last night and it came this morning - do they have like, a warehouse at the end of my street? Not only did I get it to connect with my phone, but I fiddled around and found an Android camera app called "Open Camera" that allows me to add a "microphone" input so that what I'm playing goes directly into the phone. SO COOL! I am so so excited! It sounds great. Thank you all for your help - what would I do without this forum?

David B #3035599 10/14/20 03:59 PM
A
A
A 20-second clip of me playing some Sibelius that I quick took with my camera and usb feeding into the phone - the sound is so clear! I guess it's because I'm new to this technology but I am just so amazed. Where was this when I was in college studying music? Would have made my life so much easier!

Last edited by Amy C; 10/14/20 04:00 PM.
Amy C #3035606 10/14/20 04:29 PM
S
S
A 20-second clip of me playing some Sibelius that I quick took with my camera and usb feeding into the phone - the sound is so clear! I guess it's because I'm new to this technology but I am just so amazed. Where was this when I was in college studying music? Would have made my life so much easier!

WOW!
It sounds great, and your playing is great as well.

Last edited by Seif Maher; 10/14/20 04:30 PM.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
David B #3035608 10/14/20 04:36 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Amy, you should post more videos, you really make the N1X sing 👍🏻

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
David B #3035657 10/14/20 07:22 PM
H
H
Wow! I didn't realize that audio interface functionality is so handy! Fantastic playing Amy!

Piano: Yamaha N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
CyberGene #3035665 10/14/20 07:53 PM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Amy, you should post more videos, you really make the N1X sing 👍🏻

Amen! Sounds great! I want to hear the rest of it. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
David B #3035857 10/15/20 09:36 AM
A
A
Glad it worked Amy!

I'm rather sad you all, I don't know if there is something wrong with my ears or my N1X. But when using speakers that high pitch/ear piercing sound coming from some notes between F#4 and F#5 is killing me. Specially G4, A#4, C, B#5 and F#5. My wife told me she feel it too but maybe she's biased by me.

With headphones, if I turn off Binaural I hear it too, which makes me fear is the sample or my ears just got over sensitive to those notes. With Binaural is less almost gone completely but A4 bothers me a tiny bit.

I found something like that online that was fixed by a sound engineer, I pray it can be fixed to and I don't get told that's just the way it is, is on your ears. Otherwise my only option is change it for the N2...

Any tips?

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 10/15/20 09:37 AM.
Alexander Acosta #3035951 10/15/20 12:09 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Alexander Acosta
Glad it worked Amy!

I'm rather sad you all, I don't know if there is something wrong with my ears or my N1X. But when using speakers that high pitch/ear piercing sound coming from some notes between F#4 and F#5 is killing me. Specially G4, A#4, C, B#5 and F#5. My wife told me she feel it too but maybe she's biased by me.

With headphones, if I turn off Binaural I hear it too, which makes me fear is the sample or my ears just got over sensitive to those notes. With Binaural is less almost gone completely but A4 bothers me a tiny bit.

I found something like that online that was fixed by a sound engineer, I pray it can be fixed to and I don't get told that's just the way it is, is on your ears. Otherwise my only option is change it for the N2...

Any tips?
Is it on the other piano voices too? I wonder if after first comparing with a piano in the store to check this is the same on all models, you can improve the sound to your taste using the smart piano app?

David B #3036126 10/15/20 10:56 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Does the N1X need regulating or maintenance after a while, does heavy playing or say 4 hours a day practice mess it up after a while and it somehow needs opening up by a technician to regulate it back to a better state?

Also is the action fast and allow fast repeated notes? I tried the NV10 and that was unquestionably effortless to play on, trills and repeated notes were startlingly rapid and smooth and effortless to play, is it the same for the avantgrands?

David B #3036135 10/16/20 12:14 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
As far as regulation need goes, I would think that the N1X needs regulation just like any Yamaha acoustic piano action, except maybe the hammer doesn't need maintenance because it doesn't strike a string per se.

I don't have an N1X but I bought a used N3 last year (which has virtually the same action as the N1X) and I was told by the Yamaha tech who serviced my N3 that he did do regulation to that N3 for the previous owner who was a professional musician (and probably played it a lot).

mwf #3036153 10/16/20 02:45 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by mwf
Does the N1X need regulating or maintenance after a while, does heavy playing or say 4 hours a day practice mess it up after a while and it somehow needs opening up by a technician to regulate it back to a better state?

Also is the action fast and allow fast repeated notes? I tried the NV10 and that was unquestionably effortless to play on, trills and repeated notes were startlingly rapid and smooth and effortless to play, is it the same for the avantgrands?
I had my NU1 serviced by Yamaha at 5 years, which included some minor regulation of the key action; although I had not noticed any specific irregularity. This year during lockdown, after 8 years of ownership, I opened it up and had a go myself, removing some lost motion and some keys needed let off adjustment. I was aware this time some lost motion adjustment might be needed in the middle of the keyboard.

David B #3036234 10/16/20 09:22 AM
N
Online Content
N
I'm rather sad you all, I don't know if there is something wrong with my ears or my N1X. But when using speakers that high pitch/ear piercing sound coming from some notes between F#4 and F#5 is killing me.

I had some sensitivity to a few notes in the higher register when I first got the N1X. I don't anymore, and I am pretty sure that was not me just adapting to what I was hearing. Perhaps the speakers needed breaking in; unfortunately I did not then use earphones much and can't confirm anything on that front. I think reproducing piano-like notes is quite a challenge to ears used to hearing acoustic pianos. I just found out that two days ago when I tried a little experiment with external speakers. As I mentioned in an earlier comment I had once used the line out from the N1X to ensure a long stored audiophile preamp and amp were OK. I just hooked them up to small no account bookshelf speakers and was actually pleased with how they augmented the internal speakers of the N1X. So I got one of those inexpensive class D amps to see if I could make that arrangement permanent. But it just didn't sound the same at all--with certain higher register notes becoming irritatingly wrong. I hooked it to a recorded music input and it was OK. I'll run the thing for a while to see if anything changes over time, but it is a lesson on how demanding ears can be.

Page 167 of 176 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 175 176

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
My take on upright recording at home
by Keybender - 12/02/20 12:34 PM
1985 Mason and Hamlin BB
by HeathH - 12/02/20 12:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,210
Posts3,029,662
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission