2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by dogperson
J&J
I never knew you played the guitar?

.Perhaps with Steinway name they thought they could just
plonk those beams they call legs on the piano.

The Architectural Digest article discusses the legs and the development of the piano
I am afraid not even an approved university text book on art could persuade me to not hate those legs on any piano.

This was not an attempt to get anyone to like the legs or the piano design. It was only an explanation on how the legs and design were chosen; the legs were not the first choice of Steinway, but the designer’s; and that choice was discussed.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I do agree of course there are a number of high end pianos which use really weird modern designs. I have never seen some of those glass or fiberglass pianos in real life however.I have seen a very modern Fazioli in real which my husband thought was incredible. For myself I could see it was beautlly designed but not my style.( not that I could ever own such an instrument anyway)
The one Sauter (Maly )grand (I think its the the Avant grand )
is not for me , even if I could afford it ,which I cannot) Among the uprights I never liked the look of any of the Sauter Maly uprights including the Atres. However when I saw the piano in real life I was quite stunned how beautiful an example of Art Deco it was.So I realized that there were probably more of the Maly uprights which look dreadful in a picture but in real life actually look OK if not wonderful looking.

So we are only looking at a picture of this Steinway piano at the moment ,so it is probably not as rough looking as it looks in the picture. Still I do not think I could live with those legs. I guess there is no ethical problem by using African art.
I suppose I just cannot connect such art ( like many) to a grand piano. (perhaps it does not go with the music we play) I suppose there is a connection between a Marimba and a piano though ,and some African art and statues from places like Benin in Central Africa become very valuable objects in the West.

Usually art from Africa and perhaps even Aboriginal art serve very strong social functions in those tribal communities and is
closely tied to the culture in those communities.
In the West we tend to put art in a museum where it is contemplated. Sometimes it ends up in our homes where it is
treasured.
But no there is nothing wrong with using such art I suppose unless we steal someone's images or designs. I know in Canada some of the Aboriginal people are extremely worried
that thier artistic designs may end up in some curio shop.
One would really have to study what is ethical and what is not.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/13/20 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by j&j
I love Lenny Kravitz as a musician. African instruments as instruments are quite enjoyable on their own and they also make great feature pieces in distinguished homes.

I’m am obviously not the person this 1/2 million dollar Steinway is made for.
1) Id have to rob a couple banks to buy it.
2) I enjoy Lennie Kravitz but for that kinda money I’d prefer to buy Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitar.
3) I do love the wood but the legs and bench although fitting the original design, to me are hideous. But then I’m not a multi million dollar selling artist so really my opinion is pretty worthless to Steinway.

I believe Steinway is trying to incorporate some diversity in design and potential customers.

Yes to all of this.

Well, except Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitar, I'm not as interested in guitars as I am in pianos! grin

I don’t know or play guitars but Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitar is one of the highest priced in the guitar collector community. If I owned his last guitar with the big SRV in front I would contact Rick from Pawn Stars and would have my own episode getting it appraised by one of Rick’s experts. Besides I know Rick would be drooling wanting to make his cut and he already would have a cash customer.

I'll bet Eddie Van Halen's guitars will start to fetch some crazy prices (assuming they hit the market at some point).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Retsacnal- you’re absolutely right again. Although Im not exactly sure if any of Eddie’s guitars got the same wear and tear and look nearly as trashed as Stevie Ray’s endured. Eddie Van Halen designed guitars and a few years back you could buy a special Eddie Van Halen designed guitar from one of the big guitar makers, significantly less expensive than Steinway’s Lenny Kravitz’s designed Steinway piano.
Well, if nothing else, those people that can drop a 1/2 mil on that piano, much of the money is sent to Harlem Music Programs so that’s good.

Now on collector car auctions they have certain cars that all the proceeds go to a charity, so the bidding is typically higher than the vehicle would normally bring and the buyer can claim the extra money they’re paying as a donation to charity on the fed and state income taxes.

Of course since I’m retired and have never been wealthy I can only be an awed and incredulous at prices of instruments and vehicles that are sold at televised auctions or special pianos designed and signed by musical artists. Oh well. I’m blessed and comfortable at this stage of my life and I have the blue collar answer to a Steinway Hamburg so Im quite satisfied with what I have.

And please don’t rake me over the coals for my comparison of Estonia pianos to Steinway. It’s meant merely as a cool thought. Nothing else.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
J&J
You make it sound as though its a sin to compare any piano to
Steinways. I do believe those days are gone !

J
J
Originally Posted by dhull100
Originally Posted by jakedaniel
Good on Steinway for their attempt at "racial and cultural diversity"...
Oh well, if someone wants drop half a mil to virtue signal, who am I to judge them?

This is quite a leap. Some people, you know, have different tastes. There are some outrageous designs from some high end companies, but I don’t see a lot of value judgments passed on the companies or customers.

Schimmel k213 glass or their Pegasus model

Bösendorfer Edge, Audi (mind most of their special editions are exquisite)

Fazioli M Liminal

Blüthner PH Grand or (ugh) Krystal

Those examples are garish to me, but I haven’t assigned motive to the companies or those who would buy such a thing since I have no idea of their reasonings.

I notice you edited my comment and removed the part where I said I wished that Steinway could find a way to be as “economically diverse” so they could actually cater to those underrepresented segments of society, kinda changes the entire tone of my post. I wonder why you chose not to quote me in full? Instead of refuting anything I posted you decided instead to selectively edit my reply and toss in some nonsense about “value judgements” when passing judgement on me seems to be exactly what YOU’RE doing with your reply.

Last edited by jakedaniel; 10/13/20 11:46 AM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
J&J

Well it’s probably a sin by the Steinway crowd and the Estonia Gang but that’s my answer when non piano folks ask me about the piano. My friend described her big Petrof as a poor man’s Steinway so Im just changing the comparison a bit.

Forum members can be extremely sensitive about comparisons about their pianos so I have to be rather careful with off the cuff banter.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dhull100
Good on Steinway for their attempt at "racial and cultural diversity"...
Oh well, if someone wants drop half a mil to virtue signal, who am I to judge them?

This is quite a leap. Some people, you know, have different tastes. There are some outrageous designs from some high end companies, but I don’t see a lot of value judgments passed on the companies or customers.

Schimmel k213 glass or their Pegasus model

Bösendorfer Edge, Audi (mind most of their special editions are exquisite)

Fazioli M Liminal

Blüthner PH Grand or (ugh) Krystal

Those examples are garish to me, but I haven’t assigned motive to the companies or those who would buy such a thing since I have no idea of their reasonings.

I notice you edited my comment and removed the part where I said I wished that Steinway could find a way to be as “economically diverse” so they could actually cater to those underrepresented segments of society, kinda changes the entire tone of my post. I wonder why you chose not to quote me in full? Instead of refuting anything I posted you decided instead to selectively edit my reply and toss in some nonsense about “value judgements” when passing judgement on me seems to be exactly what YOU’RE doing with your reply.

I didn’t address it because it made even less sense to me. Steinway does offer other lines of pianos that are more economical. No brand (not just pianos) that strives to project being up market can place themselves downmarket. A Porsche costs what it costs. They won’t soon offer a 20,000 dollar vehicle. You can find some great pre-owned ones closer to reasonable prices.

I may be missing something.

Last edited by dhull100; 10/13/20 04:08 PM.
O
O
Forgive me if I've missed this part...

...but is Lenny Kravitz going to get one of these for his own home?

If not, why not?

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
S
PW Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey
Forgive me if I've missed this part...

...but is Lenny Kravitz going to get one of these for his own home?

If not, why not?

He designed it but there is no mention of whether he is getting one.
He is donating his proceeds to a Harlem Music Club

I’m sure Steinway will put out a big announcement later

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
J&J

Well it’s probably a sin by the Steinway crowd and the Estonia Gang but that’s my answer when non piano folks ask me about the piano. My friend described her big Petrof as a poor man’s Steinway so Im just changing the comparison a bit.

Forum members can be extremely sensitive about comparisons about their pianos so I have to be rather careful with off the cuff banter.
Well it is just that quite a few choices exist when one wants to spend that kind of money. Steinway , Fazioli , Estonia, Forster, Sauter, Schimmel, Mason and Hamlin, Bosendoffer, Bechstein , Bluthner, including quite a few more are all possibly alternatives. Not that I want to down play Steinway. Sometimes one finds a high end piano one loves, sometimes one is disappointed in in a piano one tries including a Steinway .Individual piano's differ from each other even though we like a certain brand.
So yes I think it's really OK to try a Petrof and a Steinway in the same dealer, or to compare both.
I know forum members may be sensitive about comparisons of brands , I do not think we should feel
inhibited though. (within reason and perhaps even without) One should free !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/13/20 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Retsacnal- you’re absolutely right again. Although Im not exactly sure if any of Eddie’s guitars got the same wear and tear and look nearly as trashed as Stevie Ray’s endured. Eddie Van Halen designed guitars and a few years back you could buy a special Eddie Van Halen designed guitar from one of the big guitar makers, significantly less expensive than Steinway’s Lenny Kravitz’s designed Steinway piano.
Well, if nothing else, those people that can drop a 1/2 mil on that piano, much of the money is sent to Harlem Music Programs so that’s good.

I quit following the guitar biz years ago, but I'm pretty sure EVH had a number of endorsement deals and perhaps even ventured into producing them at some point, or licensed his name or something... ???

He had a huge influence on guitar making. In fact, for years my go-to guitar was a Strat-styled Kramer with humbucker and Floyd Rose tremolo, just like his. Mine was just a white body with black pick guard, but I think they were even selling clones of his (red w/black and white stripes and no pick guard).

(of course, I didn't play quite as well as he did...) blush

But for the potentially insanely high auction prices I was thinking more along the lines of his actual original Frankenstrat. I'm sure it's as well worn as SVR's guitar and every bit as valuable (if not more).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
J
Guess it makes about as much sense to you as your selective editing of my comment made to me.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by j&j

I quit following the guitar biz years ago, but I'm pretty sure EVH had a number of endorsement deals and perhaps even ventured into producing them at some point, or licensed his name or something... ???

He had a huge influence on guitar making. In fact, for years my go-to guitar was a Strat-styled Kramer with humbucker and Floyd Rose tremolo, just like his. Mine was just a white body with black pick guard, but I think they were even selling clones of his (red w/black and white stripes and no pick guard).

(of course, I didn't play quite as well as he did...) blush

But for the potentially insanely high auction prices I was thinking more along the lines of his actual original Frankenstrat. I'm sure it's as well worn as SVR's guitar and every bit as valuable (if not more).

For me, the thing that’s special about a guitar is the power and artistry SRV or EVH or Carlos Santana or Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix had playing guitar. Now if buying one of EVH’s guitars means I could channel his skill and expertise....now that would really be something.

Unlike you, Retsacnal, I never learned guitar. My mother said, “we have a piano in the house so if you want to play an instrument it will be piano. By the time I was on my own I had 5 years of lessons and 11 years of piano under my belt so I thought I outta just stick with piano. As a teen I wanted a guitar or a drum set so bad I could taste it. smile

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
M
M
This video has just been put online. It's a longer version of the one shared on Instagram (see first post).

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mickey_
This video has just been put online. It's a longer version of the one shared on Instagram (see first post).

I think that video is a bit more informative on what Steinway and Lenny Kravitz are achieving or trying to achieve with this piano. I like the African theme stenciling but personally can’t get past those legs. I knew Lenny Kravitz could play almost any instrument he lays his hands on but it’s fun to think he started on piano. It’s also cool that he sat in Duke Ellington’s lap while he played at a Club. Thanks for sharing.

Still can’t stand the legs though. grin

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
That's for posting that Mickey!

I dunno, the legs are starting to grow on me. grin

In all seriousness though, thinking about it as a collaboration of European and African art makes me more receptive to the legs... I think with those legs it makes the connection to African art stronger, whereas if the legs were more... European or Western, then that connection would be stronger...

Just thinking out loud here. I am glad there are all kinds of different artcases and design pianos, it makes things more interesting. And ultimately, having variety is healthy for the industry as well.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
[...]
I dunno, the legs are starting to grow on me. grin

[...]

Well, how do they look on you? smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I think it would be a whole lot more interesting if the piano body itself was done in a matching carved African style rather than just the legs and bench. As it is it doesn't work for me - the mismatch of slapping some African style paint on a classic European shape doesn't cut it.

Last edited by gwing; 10/16/20 04:57 AM.
J
J
Lenny's Steinway kinda reminds me of this one hahaha!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/264538084759673

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission