2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (accordeur, An Old Square, 36251, apianostudent, anotherscott, antozez, 13bwl, bimzdbear, AlainGeneva, 25 invisible), 1,004 guests, and 381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 48 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 47 48
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,256
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,256
Originally Posted by JoeT
Typical damage caused by putting the piano vertical on the edge during transport or storage. That breaks hammer actions regularly.

That might be true but I've stored many different DPs I've owned vertically in my house and never had this happen. Who's transporting DPs vertically?


AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 289
M
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
M
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 289
A quick question for James or anyone with the piano . Does the kawai app work with the 520 and 920? I have looked at the web site but not sure.

thanks


https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

Dexibell P7 Kawai ES110 Yamaha PSR-S770
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by musicman100
A quick question for James or anyone with the piano . Does the kawai app work with the 520 and 920? I have looked at the web site but not sure.

thanks

I tried it, and it currently doesn't work with the 520, but unlike with the ES110 it's supposed to be updated soon to support it.


Adult beginner
Kawai ES920, Yamaha Reface CP, Sennheiser HD 599 Headphones, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audio Interface

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
M
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
M
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
This guy seems happy with his 920. He doesn't play, apart from the intro, but gives reasons he went for the 920, comparing it with a number of organs/digital pianos/VSTs/acoustic pianos he's owned and played.


Last edited by MidiG; 10/09/20 12:32 PM.
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 628
S
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 628
Originally Posted by 36251
Originally Posted by JoeT
Typical damage caused by putting the piano vertical on the edge during transport or storage. That breaks hammer actions regularly.

That might be true but I've stored many different DPs I've owned vertically in my house and never had this happen. Who's transporting DPs vertically?

Kawai James advised me to store my MP-11 in "playing mode" (bottom on bottom). Not eve on its back, so I did. Casio Privia on its end, no damage.


Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 495
M
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
M
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by MidiG
This guy seems happy with his 920. He doesn't play, apart from the intro, but gives reasons he went for the 920, comparing it with a number of organs/digital pianos/VSTs/acoustic pianos he's owned and played.


Thanks for sharing, MidiG!

I found this video very refreshing: It's, finally, an independent and very personal review, and as far as I can tell, the reviewer knows what he's talking about. While we don't have to share his opinions or agree with his choice, it's obvious he did his homework before deciding which piano to buy.

Would be nice if there were more reviews like this one.


at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 7
X
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
X
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 7
After that review I'm definitely going out to buy this digical paino😉

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 57
A
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
Originally Posted by 36251
Originally Posted by JoeT
Typical damage caused by putting the piano vertical on the edge during transport or storage. That breaks hammer actions regularly.

That might be true but I've stored many different DPs I've owned vertically in my house and never had this happen. Who's transporting DPs vertically?

Kawai James advised me to store my MP-11 in "playing mode" (bottom on bottom). Not eve on its back, so I did. Casio Privia on its end, no damage.

I stored my Roland FP-30 vertically for 3 years and didn't have any problem. However after reading this, it made me question the wisdom of doing so with a brand new ES920. The whole purpose of having a portable slab for me, is because I only have a small house, and don't have room for a piano as a permanent piece of furniture. I have it out perhaps 2 or 3 days a week. After initially experiencing the key problem, I propped it up against the cupboard wall vertically, and checked the keys. I found that whilst in that position, one of the keys wouldn't press down. At all. So it does appear to create pressure on the action. I then spent some time to change things around and make an alternative storage space so that it can sit in playing mode.

Kawai are apparently sending a technician to my home to fix the catching key but am yet to receive a date for this. Not a great start for my first Kawai, although it is really lovely to play the other 87 keys 🤔

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,797
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,797
Originally Posted by musicman100
Does the kawai app work with the 520 and 920? I have looked at the web site but not sure.

Not yet, however a forthcoming update to add support for the CA49, CA59, ES520, and ES920 should be released shortly.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
So I decided to order an ES920 and compare it with the ES520. Here is my take:
* In term of sound quality, to be honest while I saw a big difference between the ES110 and the ES520 I couldn't see a noticeable difference between the ES520 and the ES920 straight away. But I only tried it for around one hour yet. There's a few extra sounds compared to the ES520, which is nice, but again, less of a delta than between the 110 and the 520.
* Unlike the ES520, I didn't see any weird issues with the ES920 software. It remembers the last selected sound in each category correctly, it remember metronome and rhythm section settings separately without resetting every time you switch between them, and it does save metronome/rhythm settings on registrations. Also you can jump that rhythms at the time by pressing and holding the rhythm and next button, so it makes it faster to go to the one you want, as you will only need 6 or 7 presses rather than 70 on average on the ES520
* The accompaniment feature is fun to play around with pop/rock stuff, but of course as expected it doesn't pickup jazz chords very well, so if you do R37 or R379 voicing it gets it right, but if you a R73 it doesn't. But that's fine, I mostly want to use the drums only. It's a shame it hasn't have a way to trigger the fill-in by pressing one of the pedals or something like that in addition to being pre-set to a number of bars.
* The keys feels nicer. I was worried they would feel heavier, and they are heavier than the ES110, but in the same ballpark as of the ES520. They seem to have the exact same matte finish as on the ES520, so no difference in slipperiness, but they are slightly less noisy, which is great. When you release them and they go back up, they are still noisy, but they rattle a little bit less than on the ES520, and the total noise ends up being more muffed than on the ES520. You can feel the escapement point, but it's very subtle. On the Roland it's much more obvious, but maybe that's one of the reasons the Roland keys felt so heavy

I will need to play a bit with it to have a better feel, but I think I'm keeping the 920 and sending back the 520.


Adult beginner
Kawai ES920, Yamaha Reface CP, Sennheiser HD 599 Headphones, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audio Interface

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 289
M
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
M
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by musicman100
Does the kawai app work with the 520 and 920? I have looked at the web site but not sure.

Not yet, however a forthcoming update to add support for the CA49, CA59, ES520, and ES920 should be released shortly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks James for that.



Originally Posted by Gustavo Guerra
So I decided to order an ES920 and compare it with the ES520. Here is my take:
* In term of sound quality, to be honest while I saw a big difference between the ES110 and the ES520 I couldn't see a noticeable difference between the ES520 and the ES920 straight away. But I only tried it for around one hour yet. There's a few extra sounds compared to the ES520, which is nice, but again, less of a delta than between the 110 and the 520.
* Unlike the ES520, I didn't see any weird issues with the ES920 software. It remembers the last selected sound in each category correctly, it remember metronome and rhythm section settings separately without resetting every time you switch between them, and it does save metronome/rhythm settings on registrations. Also you can jump that rhythms at the time by pressing and holding the rhythm and next button, so it makes it faster to go to the one you want, as you will only need 6 or 7 presses rather than 70 on average on the ES520
* The accompaniment feature is fun to play around with pop/rock stuff, but of course as expected it doesn't pickup jazz chords very well, so if you do R37 or R379 voicing it gets it right, but if you a R73 it doesn't. But that's fine, I mostly want to use the drums only. It's a shame it hasn't have a way to trigger the fill-in by pressing one of the pedals or something like that in addition to being pre-set to a number of bars.
* The keys feels nicer. I was worried they would feel heavier, and they are heavier than the ES110, but in the same ballpark as of the ES520. They seem to have the exact same matte finish as on the ES520, so no difference in slipperiness, but they are slightly less noisy, which is great. When you release them and they go back up, they are still noisy, but they rattle a little bit less than on the ES520, and the total noise ends up being more muffed than on the ES520. You can feel the escapement point, but it's very subtle. On the Roland it's much more obvious, but maybe that's one of the reasons the Roland keys felt so heavy

I will need to play a bit with it to have a better feel, but I think I'm keeping the 920 and sending back the 520.

Would be great if you could make a video about the differences. I am thinking between the two so it would be great to see and hear the differences.

thanks


https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

Dexibell P7 Kawai ES110 Yamaha PSR-S770
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by musicman100
Would be great if you could make a video about the differences. I am thinking between the two so it would be great to see and hear the differences.

thanks

I don't think I will, but feel free to ask me anything while I still have both, they're picking up the ES520 tomorrow


Adult beginner
Kawai ES920, Yamaha Reface CP, Sennheiser HD 599 Headphones, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audio Interface

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 289
M
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
M
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 289
No problem.

Did you notice much difference in the speakers? I think they are meant to be the same but I imagine to the 110 they should be alot louder?


https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

Dexibell P7 Kawai ES110 Yamaha PSR-S770
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
G
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
G
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by musicman100
No problem.

Did you notice much difference in the speakers? I think they are meant to be the same but I imagine to the 110 they should be alot louder?

They're a bit louder than the ES110 but between the 520 and the 920 they seem to be the same


Adult beginner
Kawai ES920, Yamaha Reface CP, Sennheiser HD 599 Headphones, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audio Interface

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 301
R
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 301
Playing thru headphones, do you notice a difference in the piano samples? Aren't there more/different pianos to choose from on the 920? And the sound engine is supposed to be more sophisticated.

Please say more about the difference btw the action on the 2 boards. Sounds like the lightness/heaviness is about the same, and that the 920 is quieter. How about going from ppp to fff? How about your personal experience of feeling expressed? And any other general remarks on the difference in the action between them.

Thanks! You've been a little oasis in a desert of little info.


Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 57
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 57
I found the talk too long and not getting to the point(but that's just me). 10 piano sounds and no honky tonk sound, I will be selling my Kawai as soon as I get something that I am happy with. My ES8 is dropping sounds after 1 year, and I really, really miss Honky Tonk. Roland RD 2000 got about 7 honky tonks and FP has some too... Honky tonk is a must for me.


one musical washboard and a kazoo, Sennheiser HD598, Kawai ES8, Casio Privia Px 330
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 301
R
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by Siberialina
I found the talk too long and not getting to the point(but that's just me). 10 piano sounds and no honky tonk sound, I will be selling my Kawai as soon as I get something that I am happy with. My ES8 is dropping sounds after 1 year, and I really, really miss Honky Tonk. Roland RD 2000 got about 7 honky tonks and FP has some too... Honky tonk is a must for me.
Can't you simulate honky tonk with a chorus effect?

I never got honkytonk on most DPs. Way overdone, so out of tune and dissonant it usually isn't very playable. At least there's an upright now.

Last edited by Randyman; 10/12/20 09:25 PM.

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 301
R
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
R
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 301
And come to think of it...

EVERY manufacturer always sticks a harpsichord in there, even when there's only 20 sounds!!!! That's where they could substitute a honky tonk piano, it'd be used far more. Does anybody use the harpsichord on DPs?


Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,055
7000 Post Club Member
Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,055
Originally Posted by Randyman
That's where they could substitute a honky tonk piano, it'd be used far more. Does anybody use the harpsichord on DPs?

Yes. And I never use the Honky-Tonk sound.


Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2,669
S
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 2,669
On every keyboard I've owned, there was always just one acoustic piano sound I have used-- the best one. On the MP7SE I have now, I use the SK-EX out of the box. On a Roland Juno Stage, the best piano sound was a split keyboard with one piano patch for notes below the split point, and another for notes at and above the split point.

But once I established the best piano sound, using a different one would be an inferior result. That's because I care about how well the patch supports interpretive articulations and controls, not the particular timbre or coloration of the sound.

I use the coupled harpsichord sound on the MP7SE, which are good, but find Kawai's individual harpsichord voices to be a bit lacking.

Page 23 of 48 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 47 48

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sound editing Yamaha Clp-785
by Mama Legba - 01/18/22 06:14 PM
Bergmann expanding action brackets?
by DanS - 01/18/22 05:28 PM
Where The Rivers Go
by KenBakerMN - 01/18/22 03:50 PM
one note very flat--bad sign or no big deal?
by YTF2020 - 01/18/22 02:38 PM
1968 Bladwin Hamilton 243, worth to take a look?
by HanchenXT - 01/18/22 02:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,219
Posts3,161,988
Members104,067
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5