2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the update TylerMorgan1, I'm glad to read that the replacement instrument is working correctly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thanks for the update TylerMorgan1, I'm glad to read that the replacement instrument is working correctly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hey James, thanks for your input to this thread and all the others. Your comments really helped convince me that a Kawai was a good choice, and I’m having a ton of fun with my MP11SE. It’s such a solid instrument, and it’s awesome to know that the people that work at Kawai are passionate enough to have a presence on a site such as this. Thanks again!

blush

N
N
Now, how about V2 of this topic?!

I just got a brand new MP11SE myself, and I seem to have my own version with the static; when I'm playing a note!

I'd been noticing that something had been off with the sound of the MP11SE. I'd been playing with headphones and noticed that there seemed to be some static on the headphones (I use headphones exclusively.)

The static is, naturally, most noticeable when both sliders are maxed out; so there being some static isn't completely surprising even if disappointing. The issue is the behavior of the static.

At max volume, the baseline static is *almost* nonexistent; it's difficult to hear. But you can hear it loud and clear when you play a note; and it cuts out pretty abruptly shortly after playing a note. It's a kind of odd sound-ing static too; a bit soft. It sounds a like "pink noise," except slightly "off"in a way hard to describe. The static occurs mostly on the lower pitched notes, and is louder when playing above piano.

At first, I thought it might be a piano effect, or something, so I started testing all the instruments. It occurs on all instruments that can reach sufficiently low enough pitches, including the Marimba/Xylaphone, as well as the EP's. The static sound is the same for all of them, though the loundness depends on the instrument.

I made sure to test with all processing off; Reverb, as well as piano simulations and what not off. No effect. Tried different headphones, no effect. Different power socket, as well as a surge protector with a transformer socket, no effect.

Also, I tried playing with the equalizer, to see if I could isolate the frequency. Couldn't do it, actually. Suppressing the lower pitches altered the sound of the static, making it sound higher pitched, while tried to use a peak shape to isolate the frequency had no real affect aside from distorting the MP11SE sound in general.

Also, since it's associated with lower pitches, it seems to favor the left ear in terms of balance.

I'm not sure what to make of it; my Korg D1 doesn't have this issue, so I wouldn't expect the MP11SE to either. Pink noise sounds like an odd issue to have. Any thoughts?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Is the static you can hear in these two recordings what you hear. I have other recordings from the MP11SE where the static is almost inaudible and a good salesperson could convince me that there was none. But these two recordings make it very clear.

Schumann - Album Leaves

I think it is this recording where it stands out the most.

Schumann Der Dichter Sprichts

These two recordings were done straight to the USB stick on the MP11SE itself.

Last edited by KevinM; 10/09/20 01:10 PM.
N
N
Originally Posted by KevinM
Is the static you can hear in these two recordings what you hear. I have other recordings from the MP11SE where the static is almost inaudible and a good salesperson could convince me that there was none. But these two recordings make it very clear.

Schumann - Album Leaves

I think it is this recording where it stands out the most.

Schumann Der Dichter Sprichts

These two recordings were done straight to the USB stick on the MP11SE itself.
It's similar to that, but less severe. In particular, it really heard much when playing the notes instead of being omnipresent.

You gave me an idea though; I recorded an MP3 directly off the MP11SE, then from my computer played it back on the same headphones using a USB headphone DAC. The noise is still there, but it's much less audible given similar volume levels. This makes me suspect the issue is the internal headphone amp. Sadly, I don't have good quality speakers - or a speaker amp - I can hookup to the MP11SE to test.

My guess is that each instrument has it's own amp or attenuator for each instrument, then other for the main volume line. And then a headphone amp. That's probably where the noise is coming from.

N
N
Quick update: I performed two more tests with interesting results:

I plugged the Audio-Out from my Korg D1 into the audio in on the MP11SE, and then listened in using the headphone port on the MP11SE. What happened is this:

When idling, the headphones were quiet. When a note was played, the static noise would suddenly appear. The static would last longer than the note, with only a little decay on the static itself. Then, suddenly, the static would die, as though an amp was switching off. Perhaps in the Line-In amps on the MP11SE only trigger when input is detected? Either way, the strength of the effect was dependent on the master volume slider on the MP11SE. Increasing the Korg D1 output and lowering the volume on the MP11SE created a consistent hiss, but not the transient noise effect, meaning that this is very much product of the MP11SE. Note that the Korg D1's output get's absurdly loud, so at normal listening levels you can't hear any static when using the Korg D1 by itself over headphones.

I outputed the MP11SE to a Berhinger 204HD interface, and used that for amplification instead. At high Master Volume levels, the noise effect while playing was still there, but by lowering the master volume at using the Audio Interface as an amp, the effect went away and the audio quality for the pianos seemed to improve; there seemed to be less muffling on the MP11SE's internal piano sounds. The catch was that the 204HD is kinda a crummy amp, so it introduces a lot of persistent static itself.

I'm curious if the Kawai James would be willing to comment, if it's not too much of a bother. I'm wondering if some of the internal amps on the MP11SE are wired only to run when there's a certain level of input/output? Otherwise, maybe there's some sort of resonance effect in the analogue amp circuits...?

N
N
Something I noticed by accident; if you lightly tap the chassis there's a burst of static from the audio-outputs - particularly from the left-hand side of the unit. Vibrations making noise on audio channels isn't special, but this seems to be a bit excessive. I'm wondering if there's a loose connection somewhere internally.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Narroo
Something I noticed by accident; if you lightly tap the chassis there's a burst of static from the audio-outputs - particularly from the left-hand side of the unit. Vibrations making noise on audio channels isn't special, but this seems to be a bit excessive. I'm wondering if there's a loose connection somewhere internally.

You don't have to wonder. That's caused by either a loose contact, or a faulty (vibration-sensitive) component, or a faulty trace or solder-joint on one of the printed-circuit boards.

Not your problem -- Kawai's problem.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
N
N
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

You don't have to wonder. That's caused by either a loose contact, or a faulty (vibration-sensitive) component, or a faulty trace or solder-joint on one of the printed-circuit boards.

Not your problem -- Kawai's problem.
Knew it!

I thought I was going crazy. I'd bought this to replace a Korg D1, which cost me $500 new, and this was 5x the price. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the piano sounds seemed to be worse on the $2,500 instrument, but I couldn't immediately articulate why. After some investigating I began notice all this weird noise behavior, which didn't seem right.

I sent an email to Kawai support the other day. Let's see what they say. Hopefully this isn't due to them rushing units out to satisfy high COVID demand.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
I had static on my new Yamaha PSR7000. A replacement headphone socket sorted the issue.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Hello Narroo,

I sent an email to Kawai support the other day. Let's see what they say.

I can confirm that we received your message (via the Kawai Global website).

This message will be forwarded to Kawai America, who will investigate this matter.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Got a similar issue on my K-500 ATX3 since yesterday.
Changing headphones didn't help, using a 5mm adapter didn't help either.
Funny enough, the noise sounds like a record player without a ground wire. And some normal static.
And it gets worse as soon as I touch the keyboard with both hands.

Contacted Kawai support. They said "no idea" and are going to have a look soon...

Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.
A
A
I hear you about the Fedex delivery. Imagine what happens at fedex when it is not at your house. When it comes to heavy items like a Kawai digital piano, it really does depend on some luck. I sold a Kawai ES8, but I was able to ship it in an SKB flight case with bubble wrap inside, etc. Even then, one has to cross their fingers! But we are still a blessed generation compared to what people had to put up with for thousands of years. So, we should put it in perspective. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by TylerMorgan1
Originally Posted by AnthonyPaulO
Was this ever resolved? I'm curious as to what it turned out to be.

OK, after a very thorough process of testing the replacement, I am very happy to report that everything is in working order on the replacement. No headphone static at all with the master volume slider at any level, and the line-in inputs put out sound from both left and right sides of my headphones (these were issues with the first Kawai I received, in case you don't want to read back through the thread). I also tested out the XLR outs, line outs, USB in (for saving to USB drive), and USB out (midi out), and all performed flawlessly.

So the first Kawai I received shipped via R & L freight with the special requirement that I had to be home and help the delivery driver unload the package. After all, it is a very expensive, delicate instrument. Alas, the first shipment box did have a slight gouge in the package on the side where the headphone and line in ports are located. My guess is that whatever caused this gouge likely also caused my issues. So perhaps it is not wise to place blame on Kawai in any way.

However, it seems that there is a fair amount of luck involved with whether your shipment arrives damaged or not. The flawless replacement I received was shipped via FedEx Ground. Given that it is a $2.5k package with flamboyant markers all over the box warning of its delicacy, I assumed I would need to both sign for the package and help the delivery driver unload the piano (it is a 100 lb. box). So naturally I stayed home from work and stayed tuned for the doorbell to ring. As is my OCD habit when I am waiting on a cool package, I anxiously checked the tracking status of the package throughout the morning, even though it was pretty obvious that I would be the first to know when the piano arrived, as the FedEx guy would have to have my help to unload the beast. So imagine my surprise when at 1:03 P.M., I looked up the status and it said DELIVERED 12:59 P.M. I'm standing right by the front door the whole time, and there has been no ring, no knock, nada. Nothing. Delivered? Did they get the wrong address...did the guy press the delivered button too soon? Naturally I immediately open the front door, walk outside, and see nothing. Until I walk around the house and see my piano, dropped off as if it were a $20 bookstand from IKEA, propped up against the house, with the midday glaring Mississippi sun shining upon it.

[img]https://ibb.co/82p3dCH[/img]

Perhaps the delivery driver wanted it to be in the sun so that I could clearly read the "DO NOT STAND" instructions printed on the box that he/she so nonchalantly ignored. Thankfully I was pretty quick to the scene, so the piano was swiftly taken inside and saved from baking in the afternoon sun. And thankfully the piano is in great condition, so I don't have to worry about the delivery company damaging my brand new piano purchase. That is, until the next time I order one online...

Last edited by AB99; 09/24/21 01:01 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by AB99
I hear you about the Fedex delivery. Imagine what happens at fedex when it is not at your house. When it comes to heavy items like a Kawai digital piano, it really does depend on some luck. I sold a Kawai ES8, but I was able to ship it in an SKB flight case with bubble wrap inside, etc. Even then, one has to cross their fingers! But we are still a blessed generation compared to what people had to put up with for thousands of years. So, we should put it in perspective. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by TylerMorgan1
Originally Posted by AnthonyPaulO
Was this ever resolved? I'm curious as to what it turned out to be.

OK, after a very thorough process of testing the replacement, I am very happy to report that everything is in working order on the replacement. No headphone static at all with the master volume slider at any level, and the line-in inputs put out sound from both left and right sides of my headphones (these were issues with the first Kawai I received, in case you don't want to read back through the thread). I also tested out the XLR outs, line outs, USB in (for saving to USB drive), and USB out (midi out), and all performed flawlessly.

So the first Kawai I received shipped via R & L freight with the special requirement that I had to be home and help the delivery driver unload the package. After all, it is a very expensive, delicate instrument. Alas, the first shipment box did have a slight gouge in the package on the side where the headphone and line in ports are located. My guess is that whatever caused this gouge likely also caused my issues. So perhaps it is not wise to place blame on Kawai in any way.

However, it seems that there is a fair amount of luck involved with whether your shipment arrives damaged or not. The flawless replacement I received was shipped via FedEx Ground. Given that it is a $2.5k package with flamboyant markers all over the box warning of its delicacy, I assumed I would need to both sign for the package and help the delivery driver unload the piano (it is a 100 lb. box). So naturally I stayed home from work and stayed tuned for the doorbell to ring. As is my OCD habit when I am waiting on a cool package, I anxiously checked the tracking status of the package throughout the morning, even though it was pretty obvious that I would be the first to know when the piano arrived, as the FedEx guy would have to have my help to unload the beast. So imagine my surprise when at 1:03 P.M., I looked up the status and it said DELIVERED 12:59 P.M. I'm standing right by the front door the whole time, and there has been no ring, no knock, nada. Nothing. Delivered? Did they get the wrong address...did the guy press the delivered button too soon? Naturally I immediately open the front door, walk outside, and see nothing. Until I walk around the house and see my piano, dropped off as if it were a $20 bookstand from IKEA, propped up against the house, with the midday glaring Mississippi sun shining upon it.

[img]https://ibb.co/82p3dCH[/img]

Perhaps the delivery driver wanted it to be in the sun so that I could clearly read the "DO NOT STAND" instructions printed on the box that he/she so nonchalantly ignored. Thankfully I was pretty quick to the scene, so the piano was swiftly taken inside and saved from baking in the afternoon sun. And thankfully the piano is in great condition, so I don't have to worry about the delivery company damaging my brand new piano purchase. That is, until the next time I order one online...

We certainly are blessed to live in this age! I’m still loving the MP11SE. I primarily use it with the VSL CFX library, albeit with about 10% of internal Kawai piano mixed in to reduce noticeable latency. I find the CFX sound to be much cleaner and also possessing more character, so I don’t know that I will go back to using internal Kawai sounds very often. But I’m still in love with the feel of the Kawai compared to my first digital piano, which was a DGX-650 (also good but obviously lower quality due to a much lower price point).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission