2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (3B43, 36251, accordeur, ambrozy, Baltguy, A. Lucato, 23 invisible), 701 guests, and 531 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Tuning to 432hz?
U3piano #3034058 10/10/20 08:05 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Personally i'm not someone who thinks of everything we can't see or prove by science at the moment as not true or not possible. I think there are just too many funny things we take for granted, or see as "normal" or "just the way it is", but are quite strange, special, or not understandable if you think about it.

Just a couple of examples from the top of my head:

What is a thought? A sentence you "hear" in your head, or you mind? That alone is strange enough if you try to understand it. And then, think about this: You can observe your thoughts. (If you never did this, try it. Just sit in a chair, don't do anything, just observe what thoughts come up in your mind, don't judge them, just observe them.) Ok... if "you" can observe your thoughts, then who is "you", and who is thinking thoughts? If you can observe your thoughts, it seems there is an observer, and a thinker. So apparently you are not your thoughts, because you can observe them. Who is the observer?

Think about the sentence people with big problems sometimes say or think to themselves. "I can not live with myself." Who is "I", and who is "myself"? It seems like there is a seperation between the two.

So who is "you"? Are you your body? Your brain? Your thoughts? The observer of your thoughts? (which we can not see, or scientifically prove, but obviously is there, right?)

Then.. there's the fact we live on a planet, in a huge space we still know very little about, and doesn't make any sense. Where does space end? Well, if space would end, it would mean there is some kind of wall at the end of it. In that case, what's behind the wall then? So, an end is not possible in our scientific thinking. But, infinity isn't either. So there's no working explanation here.

To some I'm problably sounding like a flat-earth type new age nonsense thinker right now, but my point is, what do we really know? smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
U3piano #3034060 10/10/20 08:17 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
You can doubt all things but that you doubt, for to doubt that you doubt, is to doubt.

Je pense, donc jus suis!

Cogito ergo sum.

René Déscartes.

U3piano #3034062 10/10/20 08:19 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Personally i'm not someone who thinks of everything we can't see or prove by science at the moment as not true or not possible.

Neither am I. It would be a very anti-scientific viewpoint to think something doesn't exist because we can't detect it. After all, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

johnstaf #3034065 10/10/20 08:28 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by johnstaf
After all, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

That is a good one.

Please understand even if I did use some words (new age nonsense) you also used, in no way did I mean to direct my post personally at you or anyone else.

piano411 #3034066 10/10/20 08:29 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano411
And we all radiate "our own unique energy signature."
Typical scientifically illiterate New Age nonsense.

That’s not true al all. People do radiate unique energy signatures. While it might be difficult to describe exactly what we are picking up on, people do emit a lot of information that radiates through their bodies, and even their words online. People can obtain from a great distance the kinds of individuals they should stay clear of or the ones they could potentially interact with to produce a positive outcome. Children and dogs generally have a good sense of this.

People’s negative feelings and emotional baggage will effect the people around them if the people around them don’t have a coping mechanism to block that disgusting energy signature.

If it's energy, it's not difficult to describe at all.

This thing you call energy isn't energy as the term is used in physics, so quantum mechanics doesn't apply to it. There is nothing known in physics beyond the Standard Model, as this would be contrary to the scientific method, given that competing extensions to the model aren't currently testable.

U3piano #3034071 10/10/20 08:43 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

That is a good one.

Please understand even if I did use some words (new age nonsense) you also used, in no way did I mean to direct my post personally at you or anyone else.

Likewise. I don't want you to think that I was aiming at you either. You raise some interesting questions that have preoccupied the greatest of minds as far back as recorded history.

I respect all spiritual and religious beliefs. That's of course an entirely different matter to the way certain people (often on YouTube) try to misuse scientific evidence without the the scepticism that's inherent in the scientific method.

There's nothing in science that's contrary to spirituality.

U3piano #3034074 10/10/20 08:52 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I don't respect the religious or spiritual belief that it's OK for an adult man to marry a 9 year old girl, or for her family to subject her to FGM.
Sorry, going off-topic.

U3piano #3034075 10/10/20 08:53 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Likewise. I don't want you to think that I was aiming at you either. You raise some interesting questions that have preoccupied the greatest of minds as far back as recorded history.

I believe there are zero problems here. cool

I respect all spiritual and religious beliefs. That's of course an entirely different matter to the way certain people (often on YouTube) try to misuse scientific evidence without the the scepticism that's inherent in the scientific method.

I can only agree, as with religion, there are always people that seem to get caught up in it, take it too far, and lose the ability to see things in perspective.

David Boyce #3034081 10/10/20 09:09 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by David Boyce
I don't respect the religious or spiritual belief that it's OK for an adult man to marry a 9 year old girl, or for her family to subject her to FGM.
Sorry, going off-topic.

Well, yes there certainly are exceptions. I can't imagine anyone outside of this religion with a half decent mindset respecting or accepting this.

piano411 #3034090 10/10/20 10:05 AM
M
M
And we all radiate "our own unique energy signature."
Typical scientifically illiterate New Age nonsense.

That’s not true al all. People do radiate unique energy signatures. While it might be difficult to describe exactly what we are picking up on, people do emit a lot of information that radiates through their bodies, and even their words online. People can obtain from a great distance the kinds of individuals they should stay clear of or the ones they could potentially interact with to produce a positive outcome. Children and dogs generally have a good sense of this.

People’s negative feelings and emotional baggage will effect the people around them if the people around them don’t have a coping mechanism to block that disgusting energy signature.

That's just your intuition on reading body language of who to stay clear of. Can you define what you mean by "energy" ?

johnstaf #3034092 10/10/20 10:11 AM
M
M

That is a good one.

I don't respect any religious beliefs except much of Buddhism. but I do respect an adults right to believe in any religion (satanism included smile ) provided they don't push their beliefs on me.

Last edited by michaelopolis; 10/10/20 10:13 AM.
michaelopolis #3034097 10/10/20 10:25 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by michaelopolis
I don't respect any religious beliefs except much of Buddhism. but I do respect an adults right to believe in any religion (satanism included smile ) provided they don't push their beliefs on me.

I should have said I respect religious beliefs in principle, and not necessarily specific beliefs in themselves.

michaelopolis #3034099 10/10/20 10:37 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
That's just your intuition on reading body language of who to stay clear of. Can you define what you mean by "energy" ?

Can you explain how intuition works? smile

I think it's funny how we invented certain words to explain things, while really they don't explain much about things at all.

I think intuition does not necessarily have to do with body language. You can have that little voice or feeling inside of you something is not right about anything.

U3piano #3034101 10/10/20 10:42 AM
M
M

Can you explain how intuition works? smile

I think it's funny how we invented certain words to explain things, while really they don't explain much about things at all.

Its based on your lifetime experience of meeting and observing people. Your brain will recognize certain patterns in people.
No mysterious "energy" explanations needed.

Last edited by michaelopolis; 10/10/20 10:42 AM.
U3piano #3034103 10/10/20 10:50 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Its based on your lifetime experience of meeting and observing people. Your brain will recognize certain patterns in people.
No mysterious "energy" explanations needed.

If that is how it works, why do children (with their short lifetime) usually have a strong sense of this?

I think you could easily experiment with this. Let's say you would put a sensitive blindfolded person in a room full of criminals, murderers, etc. And also in a room full of very nice, loving people. And let the person describe how he or she feels. The blindfold would prevent the judgement by looks and reading of body language. I would really wonder about the outcome of such an experiment. Of course this is just speculation from my side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sensitive person could still tell which room was full of criminals, and which was full of nice people.

One of the reasons i'm quite interested in this is I'm a highly sensitive person myself. I feel that when I meet someone, I instantly know what kind of person I'm dealing with, and wheter to trust him or her or not, and I never make mistakes when it comes to this. I do not know how that works.

piano411 #3034112 10/10/20 11:14 AM
People are tuned to 440 in these modern times. Our electricity is usually 110 or 220, which is also the 440 pitch level. Basically everything we plug in will vibrate at what we are calling the 440 pitch level. All of the advertisement jingles are at 440. There is a reason for that. It's not arbitrary.

This is so wrong. The frequency of AC electricity is typically 60 Hz, sometimes 50 Hz. (The Voltage is 110 or 220, but the voltage isn't something you can hear. That's like saying that humans are tuned to 35 because 35 PSI is a common pressure for car tires.) If we humans are "tuned" to any frequency it would be 60 Hz. That's the ubiquitous hum of fluorescent lights, power stations, transformers, compressors, and basically anything electric that hums or buzzes. This hum will often cause tuners' ETDs to jump to B1.

The other common frequency is 1000 Hz. This is a somewhat arbitrary pitch that makers of electronic beepers apparently choose by default when they're programming chips for consumer electronics. Think microwaves, stove timers, metronomes, stopwatch beeps, etc.

C major is also very common. I once spent the night sleeping on chairs in the Las Vegas airport, and all the slot machines were playing C-major triads. (No multiples of 440 there.)

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
U3piano #3034141 10/10/20 12:19 PM
E
E
When I meditate about my wife and my dog, my blood pressure goes down. This has been scientifically proven.
Just imagine what would happen if we could get everyone in the world to meditate about my wife and my dog at the same time!!!!

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just a piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
U3piano #3034143 10/10/20 12:20 PM
N
N W Offline
N
Wow, what a great thread drift!
Quite a long way from my suggested experiment concerning two tuned pianos to a blindfolded child in rooms of criminals and nice people.
Excellent stuff.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
Ed Sutton #3034144 10/10/20 12:21 PM
N
N W Offline
N
Originally Posted by Ed Sutton
When I meditate about my wife and my dog, my blood pressure goes down. This has been scientifically proven.
Just imagine what would happen if we could get everyone in the world to meditate about my wife and my dog at the same time!!!!
I suggest you try meditating on my mother in law and her cat.....just to even things up!
smile

Nick, ageing piano technician
U3piano #3034146 10/10/20 12:30 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One of the reasons i'm quite interested in this is I'm a highly sensitive person myself. I feel that when I meet someone, I instantly know what kind of person I'm dealing with, and wheter to trust him or her or not, and I never make mistakes when it comes to this. I do not know how that works.

Nature is full of wonderful mysteries. Perhaps the world would be a duller place if we understand everything.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2020 Petrof P-125
by Drew92 - 01/17/21 11:57 AM
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
First DP in 30 years
by Moggul - 01/17/21 10:24 AM
I just discovered music of Violet Archer
by iamandrew3 - 01/17/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,324
Posts3,047,799
Members100,095
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission