2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
32 members (ElaineAllegro, chopinetto, ejlamas, Beowulf, dcbluepiano, aradax, Alex_Ki, 9 invisible), 454 guests, and 472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: COVID-19 Excuse
Blague #3035977 10/15/20 01:45 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by Blague
I think it likely that AZN was echoing the snark in the post he quoted.

I think so too, it's just not easy to convey sarcasm on a forum.

It's easier than changing people's opinions on the pandemic though. Honestly, at this point, discussions on covid might as well fall into the same category as discussions on politics and religion.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AZNpiano #3035998 10/15/20 02:16 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's great to know that if we get sick there are plenty of piano teachers willing to offer their expertise. It was piano technicians the last time.

johnstaf #3036014 10/15/20 03:00 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
It's great to know that if we get sick there are plenty of piano teachers willing to offer their expertise. It was piano technicians the last time.

What does this have to do with anything in this thread? Are you in the wrong room?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #3036037 10/15/20 03:56 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

What does this have to do with anything in this thread? Are you in the wrong room?
In this thread, piano teachers are giving opinions about health issues. One might say the thread itself is teetering on being in the wrong room. Probably the tech section was doing a similar thing. That's what I'm thinking this is about.

keystring #3036060 10/15/20 06:09 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

In this thread, piano teachers are giving opinions about health issues. One might say the thread itself is teetering on being in the wrong room. Probably the tech section was doing a similar thing. That's what I'm thinking this is about.

Thanks keystring. My point exactly.

AZNpiano #3036068 10/15/20 06:33 PM
That said, piano teachers and piano tuners will both be badly affected by the pandemic and measures thereto. One has to expect a reaction, and among one's peers is the right place to do it.

keystring #3036085 10/15/20 07:59 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That said, piano teachers and piano tuners will both be badly affected by the pandemic and measures thereto. One has to expect a reaction, and among one's peers is the right place to do it.

Agreed.

keystring #3036200 10/16/20 06:56 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
The point is to discuss things pertaining to piano and piano teaching, rather than trying to give medical opinions, when none of us are experts.

True, and maybe we can avoid discussing the science (and in the US, the politics) but there's a direct impact on piano teaching.

For as long as I've been alive and probably longer, the basic model for piano teaching has been one on one, in person.

There are some minor variations - in the US I would guess the majority of students travel to a teacher's private residence which also serves as a place of business; some smaller number of students have the teacher travel to the student's house (I think that model was more popular when I was a child, but that's a lot of decades ago); and some smaller number of students attend a commercial music school associated with a music store.

The assumption that seems prevalent is that pretty soon this current interruption will disappear and everything will return to normal. That may not be the case. The piano teaching model assumed to be basic may have been altered forever. The community bands and musical pits I enjoy playing in may not return in the time I have left.

So my thought is that how piano teachers react to COVID in the short term, and with some consideration to the long term, is not only On Topic but may be the most important topic.

I do recall quite a few threads in the past with teachers noting/complaining that parents drop off sick kids for a lesson, endangering the teacher and potentially impacting the teacher's livelihood, and talking about how to disinfect a piano. COVID is that problem on steroids.

gotta go practice
AZNpiano #3036203 10/16/20 07:39 AM
P
P
Getting back to the topic, the request for online lessons goes both ways. Last week when my whole family had a cold, I changed all of my in-person lessons to online because I didn’t want to share our cold with my students. I am expecting my students who prefer in-person lessons to do the same when they have a cold or are sick.
The ability to move from in-person to online lessons allows us teachers to continue to teach when otherwise we’d have to provide make-up lessons or reimburse families for missed lessons.
Yes, I have some students who opted for online lessons when I’d prefer them to come in-person. I think this year, if I want to continue to teach, I have to be flexible and make things work as best as I can.

AZNpiano #3036273 10/16/20 11:20 AM
Saw a cartoon/comment-

grade school child sitting on couch, head down, in despair.
Dad- what's wrong son?
son- I just realized we will never have the fun of a snow day off from school again.

Lessons with a sick teacher or student is no fun.
How does that affect sick days now?

Learning as I teach.
TimR #3036362 10/16/20 03:02 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR
The community bands and musical pits I enjoy playing in may not return in the time I have left.

What is the average age of the group?

I used to accompany an adult choir whose average age is 60+. They have since disbanded. The threat of COVID for this age group (plus all the projectiles due to singing) is just too great.

But for children 18 and under, there really is no need for the over-the-top protective gear. I saw these kids on TV whose parents dressed them in goggles, masks, and face shields for their first day of school. Are they entering a war zone?

AZNpiano #3036388 10/16/20 04:12 PM
. Are they entering a war zone?
The overall effect is ridicule.

How about if this thread were deleted.

AZNpiano #3036390 10/16/20 04:15 PM
P
P
Are there any kids who are still doing Zoom even though it's completely safe to go back to in-person lessons?

This thread is quite amusing. Amusing in the same kind of way that slow motion videos of train wrecks are amusing.

If you have 25 students that come to your house for lessons, who is the one person most likely to get sick?

Hint: It ain't the students.

Pau Gasol #3036411 10/16/20 05:04 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
This thread is quite amusing. Amusing in the same kind of way that slow motion videos of train wrecks are amusing.

If you have 25 students that come to your house for lessons, who is the one person most likely to get sick?

You've been completely brainwashed by misinformation.

Enjoy living in your cocoon.

AZNpiano #3036447 10/16/20 07:45 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
In Utah, all our covid numbers are climbing, so in person lessons are probably more risky now than they were in the spring.

Of course, it depends on where you live and where in the COVID bell curve you currently are. If you are in India, for example, you are right in the midst of the worst part of the bell curve.

Therefore, for a country as big as the United States, you can't slam a giant national mandate on everybody. We have places that still have ZERO cases. Locking those places down would be the dumbest thing to do.

In California, we are back to the beginning. Our numbers are back to March numbers. And yet we have all these residual restrictions from the peak in July and August, and people's mind is still stuck in panic mode.

It's hard to educate people when they are in panic mode. They won't listen to scientific facts. They won't pay attention to the evidence and statistics.

The community response measures need to be based on the severity of problem in that community. If one school has an outbreak, then that school should respond appropriately. There is no need for all the schools in the state or the nation or the world to close.

Think globally. Act locally.

C'mon people; don't be stupid.
And wear a mask and wash your hands.

Learner
AZNpiano #3036466 10/16/20 10:03 PM
B
B
But for children 18 and under, there really is no need for the over-the-top protective gear. I saw these kids on TV whose parents dressed them in goggles, masks, and face shields for their first day of school. Are they entering a war zone?

Remember that this virus does spread from person to person, and that a child who contracts the virus might spread it to another person who might have poor lungs or something. I truly do understand your desire for things to return to normal, but absent a vaccine, it's simply not going to happen. Think marathon, not sprint.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6939e2.htm

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Children aged <10 years can transmit SARS-CoV-2 in school settings, but less is known about COVID-19 incidence, characteristics, and health outcomes among school-aged children (aged 5–17 years) with COVID-19.

What is added by this report?

Since March, 277,285 COVID-19 cases in children have been reported. COVID-19 incidence among adolescents aged 12–17 years was approximately twice that in children aged 5–11 years. Underlying conditions were more common among school-aged children with severe outcomes related to COVID-19. Weekly incidence, SARS-CoV-2 test volume, and percentage of tests positive among school-aged children varied over time and by region of the United States.

What are the implications for public health practice?

It is important for schools and communities to monitor multiple indicators of COVID-19 among school-aged children and layer prevention strategies to reduce COVID-19 disease risk for students, teachers, school staff, and families. These results can provide a baseline for monitoring trends and evaluating mitigation strategies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7446647/

• Infection risk of household contacts is 10 times higher than other contacts.
• Risk of household transmission in adults is about 3-times higher than that in children.
• SARS-CoV-2 is much more transmissible than SARS-CoV and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus in households, which challenges the home isolation of COVID-19 patients.

Have faith! Stay positive, wear a mask, wash your hands. We'll get through this.

AZNpiano #3036819 10/17/20 09:26 PM
In Michigan over 159000 cases, over 7300 deaths and over 2200 new cases yesterday. Covid 19 is not an excuse, it's a life altering reality. Many refuse to accept this and thereby make matters worse. My teacher is elderly, no way will I risk her life with in person lessons.

With new students Chopin was chiefly anxious to do away with any stiffness in, or cramped, or convulsive movement of the hand, thereby obtaining the first requisite of fine technique "souplesse" (suppleness). -- Carl Mikuli on Chopin the teacher.
Pau Gasol #3036916 10/18/20 07:58 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Of course, the odds of one positive case are greater in the student group of 25 than in the teacher group of 1.
However, if the teacher becomes infected, there would be increased risk to all the students.

It is sensible to consider the rate of infection in your area when determining the risk of meeting with anyone.

Learner
malkin #3037049 10/18/20 02:45 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by malkin

Of course, the odds of one positive case are greater in the student group of 25 than in the teacher group of 1.
However, if the teacher becomes infected, there would be increased risk to all the students.

Specifically, 25 different people coming into the house aren't going to transmit any germs to each other, because their contact with each other is brief, like ships passing in the night. Instead, they are going to give their germs to the teacher, who sits in close proximity with them for 30 or 60 minutes. And yes, if the teacher gets sick he/she is likely to give it to the other students as well.

Fidel #3037066 10/18/20 03:37 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fidel
In Michigan over 159000 cases,

The real figure is likely to be 10 times higher. 40-80 times higher is also possible, depending on the source you cite. Most people who get COVID don't have symptoms, and you will never get an accurate count.

over 7300 deaths and

The real figure is lower, or significantly lower. The actual number should exclude people who got killed in a car crash and other obvious non-medical reasons. George Floyd had COVID at the time of death. Did he die of COVID?

over 2200 new cases yesterday.

And that equates to around 6 deaths. Or lower.

Covid 19 is not an excuse, it's a life altering reality. Many refuse to accept this and thereby make matters worse.

No, COVID-19 demonstrate people's failure to understand basic math. It's like the entire nation failed Algebra. There are people on both sides of the debate who have failed math. That makes it hard to get real science through to people.

Even though I don't agree with everything Dr. David Katz says, he does make a strong point in this video:

https://youtu.be/q6LB2Rp44zA

My teacher is elderly, no way will I risk her life with in person lessons.

Then you should do Zoom lessons with her. Protect the vulnerable.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The most beautiful tunes of all time
by chopinetto - 12/03/20 09:41 PM
What are the signs of worn-out strings?
by edferris - 12/03/20 09:23 PM
What is this piano?
by tdra0804 - 12/03/20 08:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,249
Posts3,030,305
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission