2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
29 members (EPW, Charles Cohen, David B, accordeur, dodgio, Fidel, Eli26, CraiginNZ, 9 invisible), 372 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
COVID-19 Excuse
#3034000 10/10/20 02:00 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Are there any kids who are still doing Zoom even though it's completely safe to go back to in-person lessons?

I was just talking to a few colleagues, and we all have students who should be coming back to in-person lessons now, but haven't. It's like their parents are using COVID-19 as an excuse to either not do piano or continue with Zoom indefinitely.

All of our neighborhood schools have re-opened or are doing some hybrid. Our COVID-19 "positivity rate" is around 3%, and has been like that for a month now. One school district 5 miles away was the first to re-open three weeks ago, and it just got one COVID case today, and the news media is already vulturing to make a huge deal out of it, like they should shut down the high school immediately and test all the kids for that one kid who got infected.

The "new normal" is constant paranoia and instant panic.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: COVID-19 Excuse
AZNpiano #3034094 10/10/20 10:18 AM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I think there are students and parents who find that the convenience of not having to drive to the lesson trumps everything else. I am not one of those people, there are significant numbers of them out there.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

AZNpiano #3034115 10/10/20 11:24 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If parents are also opting for remote schooling, then they are not opting for convenience. If the kids are going to school, but not to in-studio private lessons, that may be convenience and excuse. Does one actually know what is "safe"? AZNpiano, are these parents sending their children to school, but keeping them out of private lessons?

keystring #3034124 10/10/20 11:43 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Does one actually know what is "safe"?

Kids have a higher chance of dying on the freeway than from COVID. It's well documented by science and statistics.

AZNpiano, are these parents sending their children to school, but keeping them out of private lessons?

Yes.

AZNpiano #3034125 10/10/20 11:46 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
AZN
If you don’t want to teach remotely, why not just send out a notification that on xx date all lessons will be scheduled as face-to-face? You can make the teaching method your decision, can’t you?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #3034129 10/10/20 11:54 AM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
AZN
If you don’t want to teach remotely, why not just send out a notification that on xx date all lessons will be scheduled as face-to-face? You can make the teaching method your decision, can’t you?
That was my thought, too, provided you can live with loosing xx% of your students (i.e., have others potential students in the queue). As long as on-line is an option, then a certain percent will opt for it. If it's not available, they'll go elsewhere, quit, or resume in-person lessons.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

dogperson #3034130 10/10/20 11:56 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZN

Of course I can. But then I will lose a certain number of students. It's $$$. Some parents are truly freaked out by COVID and they are thinking irrationally because the media continues to equate new cases with death. I have one student who is so paranoid, she thinks she'll die if she goes back to school. So she's on school's Zoom option. Her district offers that option to parents.

Which brings up an interesting point. Our death rate is way WAY down. Hospitals are half empty. But the government is so slow to restore normalcy.

For example, the high school that has the one new COVID case. The smart thing to do is to contact-trace the people around that student and test them. But the media is reporting that people want the school shut down and go back to Zoom. This is the crazy world in which we live. It's all dictated by fear. Where's the science?

Ultimately, those who lose out due to Zoom lessons are the kids. If the kids and their parents don't care about progress, they can continue to Zoom until they die. It's not really my problem, is it?

AZNpiano #3034135 10/10/20 12:03 PM
Several private and charter schools in my area, including the one I teach after school, opened back in August. All is well.

One student opted remote classes and piano. Not sure the health issue for her or the family, but she practices and has been progressing and I have a good relationship with her. She is lonely, not afraid.

The only other Zoom students I have are public school students. They went back just a few days ago at 25% with huge protests, and only for special needs students or those that need the supervision. The classes are basically in school suspension. You sit in the same room all day watching your Zoom lessons at your desk and you are not allowed to move.

The public school students here have been taught to be afraid. When I have asked about coming back to my home studio, I get this frozen look of fear.

I do not like teaching on Zoom even though I have a good camera set up and everyone seems impressed with how well I get it done. But it is a pain in the tuchus. (sp?)

Fortunately it is only five students. And they are all booked on the same day. So I get it over with. I send leson write-ups and worksheets online.

This too, shall pass. I'm not doing this online lessons come january.

Learning as I teach.
AZNpiano #3034145 10/10/20 12:27 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
AZN

Of course I can. But then I will lose a certain number of students. It's $$$. Some parents are truly freaked out by COVID and they are thinking irrationally because the media continues to equate new cases with death. I have one student who is so paranoid, she thinks she'll die if she goes back to school. So she's on school's Zoom option. Her district offers that option to parents.

Which brings up an interesting point. Our death rate is way WAY down. Hospitals are half empty. But the government is so slow to restore normalcy.

For example, the high school that has the one new COVID case. The smart thing to do is to contact-trace the people around that student and test them. But the media is reporting that people want the school shut down and go back to Zoom. This is the crazy world in which we live. It's all dictated by fear. Where's the science?

Ultimately, those who lose out due to Zoom lessons are the kids. If the kids and their parents don't care about progress, they can continue to Zoom until they die. It's not really my problem, is it?

No, it’s not really your problem. You can just decide how you are willing to teach: in-person only or add remote based on parental preference.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

AZNpiano #3034193 10/10/20 02:32 PM
A
A
I've been fortunate that all my piano families prefer in-person instruction. I was forced by government mandate to go to virtual instruction for two months in the spring, but once that was lifted, I immediately opened back up, and my families all returned to in-person lessons within a couple of weeks.

Our area has seen a spike in COVID cases recently, but none of my families has freaked out and asked to return to Zoom lessons. My students' school districts are all over the map with how they're handling instruction -- in-person or virtual or a hybrid. One of the public school districts had a hybrid model until one of the teachers tested positive, which prompted them to go back to entirely virtual.

There's too much fear-mongering and over-reactivity directed at this very low-risk segment of the population -- children. I'm glad my piano parents aren't buying into the hysteria.

AZNpiano #3034195 10/10/20 02:41 PM
[quote=keystring] AZNpiano, are these parents sending their children to school, but keeping them out of private lessons?

Yes.

Later on you say:
I have one student ... she's on school's Zoom option. Her district offers that option to parents.

I kept the informational part. If some students are learning remotely (Zoom option) then those students are not going to school on the one hand, but staying out of private lessons on the other hand. I imagine it's a mix. I asked the question for a reason. If someone says they won't come to one-on-one lessons because of the health risk, but they are attending school which has a lot more persons and thus greater risk, then they're making excuses and it's dishonest. But if they are doing remote lessons, staying out of school, it is not dishonest, and not an excuse. You may disagree with their assessment, but it's not an "excuse".

When students are relatively young, the opt-in for virtual school makes it harder for parents, not easier. I have a grandchild who would have her first year of junior kindergarten, but the family has opted for virtual (which I fully agree with!!) It is well conceive and well-run, but at this age, one parent must attend for four sessions/day, five days/week, to man camera and mike, guide the child, and do the assigned activities. Sending a child to school is a much easier option for the parent.

The raw fact is that you are impacted as a teacher, both for how and what you can teach (this has to really suck) and the nitty gritty of income, which can't be ignored. And what to do about that. None of this can be easy.

Are any students being affected by parents' lost jobs so inability to afford lessons, where you are?

keystring #3034234 10/10/20 04:51 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Are any students being affected by parents' lost jobs so inability to afford lessons, where you are?

I am sure there are. A few of my students' parents are affected.

But I think more kids are affected psychologically by constant isolation.

AZNpiano #3034239 10/10/20 05:03 PM
R
R
Logically, my thought would be just to communicate out the concern to the parents and why in person lessons are very much valuable for what they are paying when compared to the video call lessons. Then allow the parents to choose whether they care about how their money is being spent. But I'm guessing you are already doing something to that degree.

Beyond that, I guess this thread is just venting. We certainly can't control what others do and how they choose to parent their child. Everyone has different opinions on Covid. For myself, it still just falls under the whole "alert not anxious" middle ground. I haven't really kept up on Covid news but I also haven't heard of any significant progress that really affected how the disease spreads or gets treated.

If I had a kid taking piano lessons, I wouldn't be surprised if I just didn't care enough about their piano progress to go back to in person lessons. For one, I could do some teaching at home and in the grand scheme of things, piano lessons just isn't that much of a life priority.

Then again, if I were to be living with young kids during this whole quarantine thing, I'd most likely just want some quiet time. So in person piano lessons might be a good enough excuse to get the wife and kids out for a couple hours and leave me some alone time. wink

AZNpiano #3034259 10/10/20 06:13 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher is young and only has a digital at his apartment. Before COVID he taught at his parents house as his mother is a retired piano teacher and has a grand. They are older and he does not want to risk their health which I totally understand. He has been teaching through Zoom and he doesn’t like it but it is better than nothing. Our area is usually only 1 percent but we have seen increases since schools and especially colleges opened. He has started to go to few houses but most lessons are still by Zoom. While I prefer in person lessons, I think mine are going to be virtual for quite a while. I am 75 and on medication that compromises my immune system I still work part time but I can work remotely from home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
AZNpiano #3034293 10/10/20 10:41 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
On Friday the local government in my city declared bars & restaurants will close for 28 days due to the slight increase in daily infections.

I take music lessons at a local conservatory and not at home. The city government has a bylaw that gathering at home is limited to 5 persons, preferably family members. A conservatory with 5 floors and people coming & going regularly, the building won't reopen until the daily infection numbers get to near 0. My teacher doesn't give lessons at home or go to people's homes so the conservatory admin is getting people to connect with their teachers once a week through Zoom.

My teacher has been teaching in a central location for years and has no plan to travel to private homes. Even if she is willing to go to a home, there is the issue of wearing a mask and disinfecting the room including the piano before & after. I wouldn't want to touch a piano played by someone else and the teacher probably don't want to touch a piano after a student played it since someone may be asymptomatic (infected with no symptoms). With both watching each other through a computer screen, neither have to worry about being close to each other and touching the same instrument.

AZNpiano #3034321 10/11/20 04:12 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
PP416
I thought you were taking adult group lessons before Covid; did you switch to private lessons?

thepianoplayer416 #3034356 10/11/20 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
On Friday the local government in my city declared bars & restaurants will close for 28 days due to the slight increase in daily infections.

I take music lessons at a local conservatory and not at home. The city government has a bylaw that gathering at home is limited to 5 persons, preferably family members. A conservatory with 5 floors and people coming & going regularly, the building won't reopen until the daily infection numbers get to near 0. My teacher doesn't give lessons at home or go to people's homes so the conservatory admin is getting people to connect with their teachers once a week through Zoom.

My teacher has been teaching in a central location for years and has no plan to travel to private homes. Even if she is willing to go to a home, there is the issue of wearing a mask and disinfecting the room including the piano before & after. I wouldn't want to touch a piano played by someone else and the teacher probably don't want to touch a piano after a student played it since someone may be asymptomatic (infected with no symptoms). With both watching each other through a computer screen, neither have to worry about being close to each other and touching the same instrument.

There is in fact a provincial declaration by the Premier. Both your city and mine (Ottawa) have been declared hot spots. People take it with a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude.

AZNpiano #3034479 10/11/20 12:23 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Sometimes it isn't the child they are worried about. The parent may have an underlying condition which they don't wish to discuss with you. I have one still on zoom. In a way, it's respite from having to wash keys and wear a mask.

AZNpiano #3034751 10/12/20 09:27 AM
Here is a thought- have the child come in and have the parent stay in the car and view via Zoom.

Utilize masks, wiping keys, air purifiers, distance, etc...wash hands before and after lesson.

Are there still people that have not ventured out...at all??

Even my 80 something family members have taken dog to vet, done at the store grocery shopping when delivery kept changing orders, and so on...

who has stayed exclusively at home, never going out, anywhere?

Even they must have delivery people and helpers. So, if they stay in the car, why not send in the child for the lesson?

just wondering.

My public school district is freaking out after a few days of 20% in person learning, no cases, but have had marches downtown declaring how unsafe it is.
"Cannot teach from a coffin".

Yet, some worked summer at grocery store, private tutoring, traveling, one I know went out bar hopping (saw photos) one had a wedding, another hosted, so...I wonder the motivation.

They were out and about all summer, many of them. And now, they won't do it, even though other schools in the same area are, and safely.

Anyway, back on topic,

could the child come in and parent stay in car and observe via Zoom?

Learning as I teach.
AZNpiano #3034840 10/12/20 01:57 PM
J
J
My son is still doing his weekly lessons online. His teacher is elderly and just not ready to take the chance yet.

Obviously, in-person lessons would be best, and we’re looking forward to get back to in-person lessons ASAP. BTW, I’ve also got my son in “virtual” school since we were given the option. I’ve been out of work since April at home watching my kids and my daughter is only 4 so I’d be home whether my son is at school or not. The reason we chose virtual wasn’t even fear of COVID, but rather how restrictive in-person school is. My son is in 2nd grade and in-person 2nd grad means they wear masks the whole day, never leave the room for ANY reason except bathroom breaks which is hard because the school isn’t allowing more than 2 kids in any bathroom and they have to be escorted. No cafeteria, no music room, no gym, no library, no recess except standing next to their desks and dancing to YouTube videos. I get that some folks have no choice but since we do we chose virtual at least until restrictions ease up.

Last edited by jakedaniel; 10/12/20 02:06 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some Questions Re: Old Petrof Grand
by Seeker - 11/26/20 10:27 PM
Thanksgiving
by Retsacnal - 11/26/20 08:55 PM
VI labs Black Friday deals
by newer player - 11/26/20 06:20 PM
Brahms suggestions
by Moo :) - 11/26/20 06:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,069
Posts3,027,555
Members99,381
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission