2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (brdwyguy, anotherscott, 36251, ando, Beansparrow, accordeur, aesop, 14 invisible), 592 guests, and 543 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Steinway Stumped
MattressChick #3032864 10/06/20 07:28 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Do you think all that listening helped your own playing though or was it distracting by being "theatrical" in a way. We need to listen to feel the need to practice and to improve.
When I talk of "listening" I mean in a general way. (to oneself to others etc)

MattressChick #3032868 10/06/20 07:39 PM
V
V
Listening to a player is in my case disconnected from my own learning. It is more like going to a concert.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
MattressChick #3032886 10/06/20 08:24 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
But concerts and recitals are inspiring especially if something like a Beethoven sonata or anything is played .With the Beethoven it may encourage you to learn something like the the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata for example-- not difficult to play ., but of course difficult to play very well.
Perhaps not , perhaps there is something "inherently lifeless", when it comes to technology ?

MattressChick #3032900 10/06/20 09:59 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Spirio library is free for the original Spirio piano buyer, and can be purchased as subscription for second buyer, right? It can also play MIDI flies looks like.
PainoDisc complimentary library size is small, you have to buy additional records, and it can play any MIDI.
I am curious at how good their MIDI pedal implementations are.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
VladK #3032941 10/07/20 03:35 AM
V
V
No. As far as my Spirio is concerned, it cannot play MIDI files. There is no implementation of MIDI in Spirio, and no physical way to introduce any outside files even if it could : No USB or such. However there may be an add-on application for transcription to MIDI with the "R" (Recording) model, but I do not know : mine is Play only. You have to understand that the coding used by Spirio has nothing to do with music, it is pure micro-robotics control.

You have to buy nothing. If you get a used Spirio from Steinway, you will get the same access as the first buyer. If you buy it used outside, you only need to buy from Steinway a licence to use Spirio, which is the six digit code unique to each Spirio piano. If the first buyer gives you his I-Pad with the code in it, you do not technically need to contact Steinway, but you need to update the Internet connection data if you want to continue receiving new content every month.

Steinway "A". Roland LX 706. Viscount Sonus 45 hybrid organ with 165 real pipes. Harpsichord by Marc Fontaine.
Lady Bird #3032943 10/07/20 03:43 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
But concerts and recitals are inspiring especially if something like a Beethoven sonata or anything is played .With the Beethoven it may encourage you to learn something like the the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata for example-- not difficult to play ., but of course difficult to play very well.
Perhaps not , perhaps there is something "inherently lifeless", when it comes to technology ?

I agree, but this is true independently of the media used, and except for live performances, everything is channeled by technology. In my case, I knew all Mozart and Beethoven sonatas long before I started to play myself. For a child, there would be the added attraction of a powerful vehicle for discovery, particularly when you can watch the video as the piano plays.

MattressChick #3032964 10/07/20 05:22 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Do I understand this correctly that the standard Spirio does not let you record your own playing? Not even as midi?

gwing #3032969 10/07/20 05:40 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by gwing
Do I understand this correctly that the standard Spirio does not let you record your own playing? Not even as midi?

No it does not. With Spirio, forget about MIDI. The system is based on motion capture by a camera system (only available in the "R" versions) which cannot be accounted for in MIDI. It is more akin to the robotics used by surgery machines by the Da Vinci company, which recently separated me from my prostate...

Last edited by Vikendios; 10/07/20 05:42 AM.

MattressChick #3033007 10/07/20 07:35 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Vikendios- sorry to hear about your prostrate. frown

Thank you for giving us some insight on the Spirio system. It sounds like you’re a very happy customer with the Spirio system, which is good for prospective Steinway owners to know. It is interesting for me to learn about but because I don’t have Steinway I probably won’t ever get to enjoy trying it out. It is great news that customers that buy a new Steinway, which certainly requires a significant outlay of money, can confidently relax and enjoy their Spirio system and all its advantages.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
MattressChick #3033011 10/07/20 07:45 AM
There is a thread I recall where someone was looking for a player system as a way to better learning about chords, or something like that. But there are other easier ways, like having the score in hands and keeping it tracked while listening to a professional recording on any streaming or other means. If not for recording your own playing, a distinctive use for these piano player gadgets, and considering the price involved, a cheaper alternative is a very nice sound system where you can listen to thousands of excellent recordings. And, if wanted, with volume control.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
MattressChick #3033020 10/07/20 08:21 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Regarding Spirio and midi, I understand that Steinway has their methodology for capturing the performances. But, it all comes down to the velocity of a hammer hitting a string, which is what midi is all about. Midi has other capabilities too with continuous controllers (pitchbend, modulation and more) that could be utilized for other aspects of performance (though with piano it pretty much all comes down to velocity and damping the note). My point is that Spirio is a black box that you can't open because Steinway wants you dependent on them for repertoire, not because the technology is particularly revolutionary.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Fluxo #3033021 10/07/20 08:22 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fluxo
There is a thread I recall where someone was looking for a player system as a way to better learning about chords, or something like that. But there are other easier ways, like having the score in hands and keeping it tracked while listening to a professional recording on any streaming or other means. If not for recording your own playing, a distinctive use for these piano player gadgets, and considering the price involved, a cheaper alternative is a very nice sound system where you can listen to thousands of excellent recordings. And, if wanted, with volume control.

I think that was LarryK that bought a Disklavier YUS5S because he wanted to use it learn music more pleasantly and he and his wife could enjoy music played by great artists.

So that’s for me the greatest temptation with a Spirio or Disklavier or PianoDisc. Vladimir Horowitz briefly sits down and plays the Estonia. Can you imagine how that piano would sing? Or Valentina Lisitsa? But then I come back to earth and realize all my time at the piano needs to be practicing and just playing it. Still it’s tempting.....

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
MattressChick #3033023 10/07/20 08:26 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Or Carlos Santana playing my PRS. Unfortunately I don’t even play guitar. smile

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
MattressChick #3033053 10/07/20 10:17 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Vikendios - lovely feedback. Yes, for me the appeal is closing my eyes and pretending that Lang Lang is actually in my piano bar playing. One down side is that the rest of the family will see it as a novelty and not enjoy it as much as I, so it won't be something that I would play all the time.

I think I need to go back and play all 3 again. If I love the A that much more than the others, then perhaps I go for that and forget Spirio. If the M is almost as lovely, then maybe consider Spirio.

Will report back!

MattressChick #3033063 10/07/20 10:41 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MattressChick
I think I need to go back and play all 3 again. If I love the A that much more than the others, then perhaps I go for that and forget Spirio. If the M is almost as lovely, then maybe consider Spirio.

Yep, this is the best thing to do. Multiple visits, as many as you need, to make you confident in your decision.

Will report back!

Please do! Good luck! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MattressChick #3033175 10/07/20 03:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Spirio|r has midi in and midi out. You can save your performance as MIDI or mp3.

One more difference as far as I found: Spirio does not have silent feature, Pianodisc has one.

Anyway, considering the library sizes, prices, quick appreciation of technologies I would not buy any of these systems from PianoDisc, Steinway, and Yamaha.
I thought about getting PianoDisc with my next piano, but give up for now after learning more about its installation and features.

Last edited by VladK; 10/07/20 03:56 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
MattressChick #3033272 10/08/20 05:45 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If you love the M, get it with the Sprio. Pianodisc is not an equivalent option.

MattressChick #3033279 10/08/20 06:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MattressChick
Vikendios - lovely feedback. Yes, for me the appeal is closing my eyes and pretending that Lang Lang is actually in my piano bar playing. One down side is that the rest of the family will see it as a novelty and not enjoy it as much as I, so it won't be something that I would play all the time.

Will report back!

Have fun. If you are shopping in Atlanta, please say hello to Steve Mills for me. I do not care to share how long I have known him. wink

Just curious - Did you get a chance to play a Yamaha Sx in your travels?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
MattressChick #3034009 10/10/20 02:37 AM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
If you're already looking at O's and A's, and you want a Spirio, then you might as well get a B. I'm not interested in player systems myself, but I do regret not getting a little more length. At the time I didn't really have a space constraint, but thought that I would in the future, but that's turned out not to be the case.

January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Awareness Month
Retsacnal #3034030 10/10/20 05:24 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
If you're already looking at O's and A's, and you want a Spirio, then you might as well get a B. I'm not interested in player systems myself, but I do regret not getting a little more length. At the time I didn't really have a space constraint, but thought that I would in the future, but that's turned out not to be the case.

A somewhat tangential thought: I often hear people saying they only have room for an M or something similar in the 5 1/2 foot region, but don't have room for a 7-footer like the B. Does that extra foot and a half really make such a big difference? I managed to get my BB (also 7 feet) into a 350 square foot mobile home when I was living in California. So my feeling is that if you want it badly enough, you can make it work.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
Debussy: Images Bk.1 #1-2, Préludes Bk.2 #1,#6; Brahms: Op. 119 #3,#4; Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin, Prélude; Bolcom: Graceful Ghost Rag
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine's Online Courses
by bSharp(C)yclist - 01/17/21 10:00 AM
Performance crash and burn
by spartan928 - 01/17/21 09:51 AM
My New Piece
by YakovB - 01/17/21 07:15 AM
Mechanical or digital (App) Metronom?
by zeitlos - 01/17/21 06:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,321
Posts3,047,759
Members100,094
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission