2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
So, how much better is the new ES920 than P515?

PMFJI --

It's not _enough_ better, so that you should trade your almost-new P515 for a new ES920.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I’m a professional musician, and I call my ES8 a stage piano, because I play it on the stage when there isn’t a real piano. And the speakers are quite important.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Both those pianos look great with their respective stands. It's a mouth watering choice these days.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
While all of that is true, I think the only universal distinction between a stage piano and portable piano is whether or not it has on-board speakers.

Build quality of stage pianos tends to be higher, and there is currently a sub-trend to put speakers in Stage pianos eg Korg Sv2. I don't consider those to be portable pianos on account of their stage piano core features. So indeed, to me, my distinction stands.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
I’m a professional musician, and I call my ES8 a stage piano, because I play it on the stage when there isn’t a real piano. And the speakers are quite important.

As I said, this is to me completely wrong and confuses matters when comparing stage and portable instruments. It's as much a stage piano as an acoustic Grand piano on a stage is a stage piano.

The formular of components and qualities of portable pianos is basically: a mid range portable version of a home cabinet piano, with or without a wooden bespoke stand with a built in triple pedal. Functionality of the portable piano is low.

Stage pianos are built for band gigging, have advanced MIDI control, better build quality, often hundreds to thousands of sounds, slider control for each parts, live control knobs for effects, hundreds more presets etc etc.

Once you compare top portable and stage pianos, you will indeed know they are different beasts entirely.

Last edited by Doug M.; 10/07/20 08:27 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I apologize if I’ve said this before: P-515! blush

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Originally Posted by ColoRodney

As I said, this is to me completely wrong and confuses matters when comparing stage and portable instruments. It's as much a stage piano as an acoustic Grand piano on a stage is a stage piano.

When I got on this forum in 2014 I didn't know the difference between the slabs yet and people calling everything "stage piano" (just as non-musicians like to call everything with keys an "e-piano") didn't help me and I was even looking at arrangers and workstations with a question mark over my head. It might be even the same people who now pretend that the ES series without balanced outputs (XLR) is a stage piano, who confused me back then. On top of it where the people advertising pure MIDI controllers on these forums as well.

Thankfully I got it right by accident and acquired a portable piano - something I didn't know existed until then, which had everything I needed to get back into practicing piano.

Yamaha P-515
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pete14

No worries man. I understand how every now and then you need to introduce yourself to the new members of the forum... of course as a very intelligent member!!!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoeT
When I got on this forum in 2014 I didn't know the difference between the slabs yet and people calling everything "stage piano" (just as non-musicians like to call everything with keys an "e-piano") didn't help me and I was even looking at arrangers and workstations with a question mark over my head. It might be even the same people who now pretend that the ES series without balanced outputs (XLR) is a stage piano, who confused me back then. On top of it where the people advertising pure MIDI controllers on these forums as well.

Thankfully I got it right by accident and acquired a portable piano - something I didn't know existed until then, which had everything I needed to get back into practicing piano.

Having and XLR output is not a parameter of a stage piano. Nord Stage 3, Kawai MP series, and alsmost every single synth I have seen and owend doesn't have XLR outs.

I should also say many instruments on the stage also don't have it. e.g. electric guitars, basses and so on.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Abdol
Originally Posted by Pete14

No worries man. I understand how every now and then you need to introduce yourself to the new members of the forum... of course as a very intelligent member!!!

...and Professor Chaos (Abdol) strikes again!!!

https://youtu.be/1Ocaztxj87E

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Having and XLR output is not a parameter of a stage piano.
It is: You are unlikely to find XLR on a portable piano.

Nord Stage 3, Kawai MP series, and alsmost every single synth I have seen and owend doesn't have XLR outs.
It just doesn't work the other way around. wink

However Kawai MP11SE series has balanced outputs, Yamaha CP88 has, Roland RD-2000 has. Or in other words: the integrated professional gear intended to be connected directly to the mixer. (Synths you might want to patch somewhere.)

I should also say many instruments on the stage also don't have it. e.g. electric guitars, basses and so on.
These are meant to be used together with effect pedals and a balanced output doesn't help with that. On microphones OTOH you always have XLR, because there it's real advantage.

But to add to the confusion, I could also start to call my RD-17C-CE an electric guitar, because it features a pickup with an instrument out and hooked up to the right combo I could make sound like one. Nevertheless it's an acoustic guitar, which is intended to be connected an acoustic amplifier and sound like an amplified acoustic guitar. And I'm gigging with it as an acoustic guitarist, so what the audiences hears matches what they see.

Yamaha P-515
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
And to complete this, Kawai is the first company who introduced the concept of a "Stage Piano" before everyone else (specifically Yamaha!). Yamaha started monkey-see moneky-do just after they saw how successfull MP9000 was. Yamaha is famous for doing it. CP-88 is the latest example of copying other companies.

Here is the article which refers to how Kawai build the first concept of a Stage Piano:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kawai-mp9500#top

Kawai still follows the legacy of MP9000 I believe.

So here is the definition of a Stage Piano by its inventor:

In the summer of 1997, I sent a proposal to Kawai R&D, suggesting that they develop a professional stage piano: a high-quality, transportable keyboard combining the best features of vintage keyboard instruments like a grand piano, an electric piano, an organ, a clavinet, and so on, in one instrument. I knew there were many keyboard players in desperate need of a professional substitute for acoustic and electromechanical keyboard sounds for live and studio use; in fact, the idea for the MP9000 was inspired by my own personal need for such an instrument.

"My idea was that the design should be based on the robust, vintage design of a Rhodes piano, with nothing but a couple of controls for volume, sound selection and effects. I thought that the keyboard should offer the best weighted-action available — the idea, after all, was that people would replace their real instruments with this Kawai stage piano, so compromises weren't really an option. And for the sounds, I suggested there be just a few brilliant sounds: Kawai's then-current grand-piano sample, complemented by Rhodes, Wurlitzer and clavinet sounds. I called the concept the VP5000, with the VP standing for Vintage Piano.

So no XLR, no thousand sounds (of course), great MIDI controller capability. Top notch grand piano souds: Dark, Bright, Mellow which probably comes in 3 sizes: Baby, medium and full concert grand pianos. Top e-piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzers, Clavs and Organs. Having other sounds like pads and strings are nice but I don't really care how realistic they are.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
However Kawai MP11SE series has balanced outputs, Yamaha CP88 has, Roland RD-2000 has. Or in other words: the integrated professional gear intended to be connected directly to the mixer. (Synths you might want to patch somewhere.)

It's good to have balanced outputs but I don't see it as a necessity. There are many instruments that don't have balanced output and there are DI boxes all around the stage which eleminates this need anyway.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And to complete this, Kawai is the first company who introduced the concept of a "Stage Piano" before everyone else (specifically Yamaha!). Yamaha started monkey-see moneky-do just after they saw how successfull MP9000 was. Yamaha is famous for doing it. CP-88 is the latest example of copying other companies.

That's the most funny theorycrafting I ever heard of, because I remember stage pianos already existing in 1997.

They weren't digital in the beginning during the 1970s and larger than today's slabs, yet much smaller than an acoustic grand or upright piano - which made them tada stage pianos. Here, have a Yamaha CP-30 from 1976:

[Linked Image].

Yamaha P-515
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

It's always tempting to point out the exception even though it really doesn't prove any point whatsoever. But here we go:

[Linked Image]

Or maybe it's a stage piano. With built-in speakers. And optional furniture stand and triple pedal bar.

(I don't really care about the classification.)

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Here is the article which refers to how Kawai build the first concept of a Stage Piano:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kawai-mp9500#top

Kawai still follows the legacy of MP9000 I believe.

So here is the definition of a Stage Piano by its inventor:

In the summer of 1997, I sent a proposal to Kawai R&D, suggesting that they develop a professional stage piano: a high-quality, transportable keyboard combining the best features of vintage keyboard instruments like a grand piano, an electric piano, an organ, a clavinet, and so on, in one instrument. I knew there were many keyboard players in desperate need of a professional substitute for acoustic and electromechanical keyboard sounds for live and studio use; in fact, the idea for the MP9000 was inspired by my own personal need for such an instrument.

"My idea was that the design should be based on the robust, vintage design of a Rhodes piano, with nothing but a couple of controls for volume, sound selection and effects. I thought that the keyboard should offer the best weighted-action available — the idea, after all, was that people would replace their real instruments with this Kawai stage piano, so compromises weren't Ireally an option. And for the sounds, I suggested there be just a few brilliant sounds: Kawai's then-current grand-piano sample, complemented by Rhodes, Wurlitzer and clavinet sounds. I called the concept the VP5000, with the VP standing for Vintage Piano.

So no XLR, no thousand sounds (of course), great MIDI controller capability. Top notch grand piano souds: Dark, Bright, Mellow which probably comes in 3 sizes: Baby, medium and full concert grand pianos. Top e-piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzers, Clavs and Organs. Having other sounds like pads and strings are nice but I don't really care how realistic they are.

I think we can safely say, that definition is dated, just as the first PC running MS DOS wouldn't define a modern PC.

The stage piano definition evolved naturally due to more complex tech under the influence of competition. This has occurred to such an extent, such that, a market has opened up for a modern slab piano combining a desire for an instrument with nicer aesthetics for the home with the simplicity of the original Kawai concept: the portable piano.

I think of the main difference between stage and portable is one of complexity over simplicity, where the stage piano gives more sliders, knobs and presets plus on the whole more sounds, parts, MIDI control and other such gadgets. Now we could even argue that there are clear sub-markets opening up eg between
Non menu driven simpler stage piano UI's : Nord Grand/ Yamaha CP88/Korg Sv2 vs more menu driven function heavy all in one boards eg Rd2000, MP7SE, Dexibel S9 Pro, Kurzweil Forte

I've no doubt that this genre 'stage piano' will continue to evolve as tech gets more advanced. Perhaps the boundaries between workstations, Synths and stage pianos will blur over time.

Last edited by Doug M.; 10/07/20 12:42 PM.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

That's the most funny theorycrafting I ever heard of, because I remember stage pianos already existing in 1997.

They weren't digital in the beginning during the 1970s and larger than today's slabs, yet much smaller than an acoustic grand or upright piano - which made them tada stage pianos. Here, have a Yamaha CP-30 from 1976:

[Linked Image].

We didn't have Stage Pianos in the 70s'. Spend some time and read the link. The author of that link knows more than you.

You are mixing an instrument Yamaha called it an "electric piano" from 70's. Stage Piano is a new concept from late 90's when technology allowed us to have main instruments used in band performances in a compact digital box, that actually sounded acceptable and decent.

So you probably categorize Mellotron as a stage piano too!

Last edited by Abdol; 10/07/20 01:10 PM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
What makes the Roland RD series -- starting in 1986 or so -- not "stage pianos"?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Doug M.
The stage piano definition evolved naturally due to more complex tech under the influence of competition. This has occurred to such an extent, such that, a market has opened up for a modern slab piano combining a desire for an instrument with nicer aesthetics for the home with the simplicity of the original Kawai concept: the portable piano.

I think of the main difference between stage and portable is one of complexity over simplicity, where the stage piano gives more sliders, knobs and presets plus on the whole more sounds, parts, MIDI control and other such gadgets. Now we could even argue that there are clear sub-markets opening up eg between
Non menu driven simpler stage piano UI's : Nord Grand/ Yamaha CP88/Korg Sv2 vs more menu driven function heavy all in one boards eg Rd2000, MP7SE, Dexibel S9 Pro, Kurzweil Forte

I've no doubt that this genre 'stage piano' will continue to evolve as tech gets more advanced. Perhaps the boundaries between workstations, Synths and stage pianos will blur over time.

I don't think so. The main instruments that defined the Stage Piano concept are timeless. The need for the bread and butter instruments on the stage will not evolve with time.

First of all Nord Stage isn't a simple instrument. 2nd, MP series doesn't offer you a deep interface to edit your voices. The most complex one is just for Piano. The rest are very basic. Among all of these, CP-88 is the only instrument which is a step backwards.

There is also an overlap between Stage Pianos and syths. e.g. Kronos is very versatile when it comes to important stage sounds.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

It's always tempting to point out the exception even though it really doesn't prove any point whatsoever. But here we go:

[Linked Image]

Or maybe it's a stage piano. With built-in speakers. And optional furniture stand and triple pedal bar.

(I don't really care about the classification.)

That's easy: It's neither a stage piano nor a portable piano. It's a toy made by this company and re-badged by M-Audio: https://www.medeli.com.hk/4200

Yamaha P-515
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission