2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (brdwyguy, danx16, chopinetto, David B, chrisb42, anotherscott, Bruce In Philly, Beowulf, AndrewJCW, 8 invisible), 601 guests, and 577 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Repeats in Baroque and Classical music
#3032274 10/05/20 08:45 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I have heard two rationales for the repeats:
1. They are necessary for the overall balance, structure, etc. of the music.
2. They are there mostly because there was so little chance to hear music during those periods(no radio or recordings)that listeners needed the repeat to absorb or understand or remember the music.

Which is correct? Are there other reasons for repeats?
I am thinking about pieces like Bach dance suites. Scarlatti Sonatas, and sonatas by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert.

Re: Repeats in Baroque and Classical music
pianoloverus #3032280 10/05/20 09:09 AM
Ubu Offline
Probably both are correct. But i am always very grateful to the players that omit the repeats. They are for me the most boring thing that exists in music

pianoloverus #3032285 10/05/20 09:32 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
In performing, I like repeats: If I don't get it right the first time, maybe I'll nail it on the repeat. On the other hand, there's always the chance ... oh, well.

I've never heard a rationale for repeating or not repeating in the eras you are referring to. Recordings don't seem to favour one over the other.

It is (was?) common practice in Baroque music to use the repeats as an occasion for the performer to add ornamentation to what appears in the first iteration of a section. So, in the context of the music of that era, there is a third justification for repeats.

On page 219 of Interpreting Mozart by Eva and Paul Badura-Skoda, the authors write:

Literal repeats are a basic form of artistic expression; they create a feeling of symmetry comparable to equally constructed wings of a beautiful castle; they help the listener to recognize and to remember themes.

On the other hand (pp. 219-20):

If we recall that most of the performed music in the eighteenth century was ensemble music, varied repeats would have created serious problems. (In Spohr's autobiography he tells of a shocking experience when he conducted an orchestra in Rome and some woodwind players started to decorate their melodies, resulting in musical chaos.

The Badura-Skodas have much more to say about repeats in the Classical era. If I find anything more that is relevant to the question, I'll post.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
pianoloverus #3032354 10/05/20 02:05 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
A lot said already. When it comes to embellishing repeats, there is a lot more you can do as a solo pianist. Someone like the American Jazz pianist Keith Jarrett would play the Bach French Suites with different ornaments in the repeats and even changing a few notes around like Jazz improvisations. A performer in an ensemble doesn't add notes to embellish a piece with complex harmonies unless the changes were tested beforehand. Even slowing down at the end of a piece would be worked out during a rehearsal so that all the musicians would play at sync.

Students who are learning Classical music tend to follow the score and not try to add notes that were not written in. In the first few years of learning, many would play Minuet in G & Gm by C. Petzhold out of the "Notebook for Anna M Bach". A student would play the repeats exactly. If there are ornaments written in, the ornaments would be played the same both times.

pianoloverus #3032359 10/05/20 02:39 PM
E
E
I remember a long time ago a comment that the audience listening to a live performance of a Bruckner symphony would make "oh, no" noises when the musicians turned back their pages to repeat the whole Scherzo.
As for Bach (J. S., not P. D. Q.) the editors say that we have manuscripts with ornaments, without ornaments, and with different ornaments, not to mention different notes and sometimes sixteen bars of them. I wonder about the repeats in his Minuets and other A:B:A pieces, which make them AA:BB instead, but apparently that's what he always wrote.
Just heard on the radio that, one day, Franz Schubert invited his friends over and sang to them the entire Winterreise. That would have been a surprise I could have done without. "Hey, Ilsa, how 'bout going over to Franz's place and hearing a few songs?" After two hours, I imagine Ilsa would have been peeved. Also, I didn't know Franz was a singer.
Hans von Bulow says the "traditional" repeat at the start of the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata is a "chilling tautology". I regard it as another chance to get the notes right. I've never asked my listeners what they thought.

Last edited by edferris; 10/05/20 02:39 PM.
pianoloverus #3032372 10/05/20 03:22 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Heinrich Schenker wrote:

"Only by repetition can a series of tones be characterized as something definite. Only repetition can demarcate a series of tones and its purpose. Repetition thus is the basis of music as an art. It creates musical form, just as the associations of ideas from a pattern in nature creates the other forms of art. "

Sidokar #3032392 10/05/20 04:18 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Heinrich Schenker wrote:"Only by repetition can a series of tones be characterized as something definite. Only repetition can demarcate a series of tones and its purpose. Repetition thus is the basis of music as an art. It creates musical form, just as the associations of ideas from a pattern in nature creates the other forms of art. "
I don't think he could be talking about the kind of repetition discussed in this post because, if that was the case, most music would have no "purpose" or be "something definite"(whatever that means).

pianoloverus #3032407 10/05/20 05:52 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Heinrich Schenker wrote:"Only by repetition can a series of tones be characterized as something definite. Only repetition can demarcate a series of tones and its purpose. Repetition thus is the basis of music as an art. It creates musical form, just as the associations of ideas from a pattern in nature creates the other forms of art. "
I don't think he could be talking about the kind of repetition discussed in this post because, if that was the case, most music would have no "purpose" or be "something definite"(whatever that means).

You are right, he was not specifically talking about that particular point but he wrote a full chapter on the concept of repetition as the driving force in composition, which includes a rationale on ternary forms, da capo, .... It is intesresting to read the underlying assumptions, and i think it does provide some answers to your question, in a general sense. Though it is not the only reason.

edferris #3032524 10/06/20 03:34 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by edferris
Just heard on the radio that, one day, Franz Schubert invited his friends over and sang to them the entire Winterreise. That would have been a surprise I could have done without. "Hey, Ilsa, how 'bout going over to Franz's place and hearing a few songs?" After two hours, I imagine Ilsa would have been peeved. Also, I didn't know Franz was a singer.

"Winterreise" is the most gripping chilling shattering song cycle in the literature. It lasts about an hour and a quarter. If I had been invited to Schubert's run-through it would have been one of the greatest experiences of my life.

pianoloverus #3032566 10/06/20 07:37 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
We have a lot of information confirming baroque musicians used to improvise a lot. (I'm not saying "performers" because they weren't just some robots playing music off music sheets and arguing about a single trill on multiple forum pages). It seems pretty logical that a musician wouldn't just repeat everything in an exact fashion and perform the trill in question exactly as agreed on page 38 of the HarpsichordWorld's thread about that trill. They certainly used the repeats to improvise.

IMO smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/06/20 07:38 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
pianoloverus #3032619 10/06/20 10:21 AM
W
W
I've always thought of repeats as the last of a hierarchy of repetitions. Repeat two notes, repeat pairs, repeat two phrases, repeat two sections. Structural, like nested dolls. Or examples from nature, like the moon around the earth, the earth around the sun.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,643
Members100,187
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission