2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3032011 10/04/20 03:00 PM
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hoping this link will work I'm hoping some of you guys can help my daughter (playing) with the name of this piece.

My classic knowledge doesn't go further than I think it might be J. S. Bach... wink

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11dy-I_4k5lSOdLe1OkRr2HYw07Py0T_T/view?usp=sharing

Thank's in advance!

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 (sold) / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I can't access the file.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I can't access the file.

I can’t either. Google drive pop up is that it requires owner permission to access

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I can't access the file.

Think I fixed it...

Peter
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The piece only goes for 18s. Sounded like a movement out of a Baroque suite in Bb. There may be a repeat for the top part and a lower part to this piece.

The piece on the music stand "The Merry Farmer" by Robert Schumann is a common piece for students at a lower intermediate level. It is possible that the piece is in the book displayed (pages not shown). Don't know the publisher or the edition of the book and the pages the Schumann piece is on. Otherwise I'd go to a piano store and look for the same book and hope to find the mystery piece in it.

The piece may be a piece out of a Bach suite or from the Notebook for Anna M. Bach.

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The piece only goes for 18s. Sounded like a movement out of a Baroque suite in Bb. There may be a repeat for the top part and a lower part to this piece.

The piece on the music stand "The Merry Farmer" by Robert Schumann is a common piece for students at a lower intermediate level. It is possible that the piece is in the book displayed (pages not shown). Don't know the publisher or the edition of the book and the pages the Schumann piece is on. Otherwise I'd go to a piano store and look for the same book and hope to find the mystery piece in it.

The piece may be a piece out of a Bach suite or from the Notebook for Anna M. Bach.

Thank's. I think I know the book on the music stand. It's James Bastien "Favorite Classic Melodies" and as far as I know, it's not related to the song played.

Peter
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
BTW Ajax, so your daughter is playing this piece but she doesn't know the name of it?? Is she playing it by ear then? Where did she hear it?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
BTW Ajax, so your daughter is playing this piece but she doesn't know the name of it?? Is she playing it by ear then? Where did she hear it?

She learned it some 12-14 years ago when taking lessons from a piano teacher. I yesterday gave her a digital piano since she's been talking about taking up piano studies again. She's a student and her apartment is absolutely minimal, so a Korg D1 was all we could squeeze in there. And she remembered this piece, but don't have her music sheets any more. We're just curious what the piece is. She actually played it in church back then when me and my wife got married. A bit more fluent and a longer part of the piece.

Peter
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ahh! I was going to suggest she ask at the source, but the source is her brain, soo.... whome

Well, if you don't get a response here, repost in the Pianist Corner, they generally figure it out very quickly when someone has a piece they can't identify.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Ahh! I was going to suggest she ask at the source, but the source is her brain, soo.... whome

Well, if you don't get a response here, repost in the Pianist Corner, they generally figure it out very quickly when someone has a piece they can't identify.

Thank's. I'll do that!

Peter
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Looking through the pieces in my copy of Notebook for Anna M Bach turned up nothing. Bach tend to be the first Baroque composer people think of. It's also possible the piece was done by Handel.

OMG! Found the original! First I went to Wikipedia and look up the list of compositions by Handel. Under the heading Keyboard works I searched through all the pieces with Bb as the Key Signature starting from the Suites, Airs and went through matching YouTube sound recordings. And when I came to Sonatina HWV 585, that's it!

OK, the version your daughter played is simplified with fewer embellishments and here is the piece you're look for with the original score:

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you soooo much. That's really nice of you. And so interesting!!!

Again - thank you!!!

Peter
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I belong to a music group. Normally we'd be practicing music for upcoming concerts before the pandemic. Over many years we played pieces by Bach & Handel so I can tell this piece sounded more like Handel. Bach tended to stack similar melodies & counter melodies to create harmony. At least 1 person mentioned Arcangelo Corelli as a possibility except that Corelli was famous for his orchestral works such as concerto grossi & chamber sonatas but not as much for his keyboard pieces. The composer who imitated Corelli and wrote for the keyboard was Handel.

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
I belong to a music group. Normally we'd be practicing music for upcoming concerts before the pandemic. Over many years we played pieces by Bach & Handel so I can tell this piece sounded more like Handel. Bach tended to stack similar melodies & counter melodies to create harmony. At least 1 person mentioned Arcangelo Corelli as a possibility except that Corelli was famous for his orchestral works such as concerto grossi & chamber sonatas but not as much for his keyboard pieces. The composer who imitated Corelli and wrote for the keyboard was Handel.

Very informative. Thank's again! And so says my daughter Sara!

Peter

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission