2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 48 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 47 48
G
G
Found this review of the ES920, at 7:15 they demo the accompaniment feature. The Yamaha P125 is an entry level model and has it, it's a shame other brands don't do the same

Kawai Novus NV5S
Previously: Kawai ES920, Kawai ES110, Roland FP-10

G
G
Originally Posted by Mobert
Gustavo,
Thank you for your review. Please, if you will take a measurement for me. If the keyboards were sitting on a table, what is the measurement from the table top to the top of the keys?

I want to set it up in front of my sofa and my knees may not fit under if they keys are set at a good playing height. smile

12cm from the rubber feet to the top of the white keys. The ES110 is 13cm. However, the ES110 rubber feet are tiny, and the ES520 are 2cm, so if you remove them you get 10cm. On the stand the top of the white keys on the ES520 are also 0.5cm higher than the ES110 on its stand, so that this means that in total when you have the stand you have 3.5cm extra for your knees on the ES520

Kawai Novus NV5S

G
G
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Maybe this behavior is corrected in future versions of the firmware.

It's very rare firmware updates of any kind of product actually change any behaviour smirk

Kawai Novus NV5S

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
The PIANOO video was already mentioned:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3028543
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3028567

But no harm done by mentioning it again, I suppose. They seem to have a new format now with classical snippets too and they always(?) have a clip recorded via the speakers in the end too and always with the same room and equipment, I suppose, so one can compare pianos with each other.

My German is bad, but I think I understood what they said about the ES920:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3028562

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gustavo Guerra

It's very rare firmware updates of any kind of product actually change any behaviour smirk

In that particular case, the errata sheet suggests it was a last minute found bug. So I think it is possible they fix it.

On RD2000, the firmware versions not only fixed bugs but added features and sounds. Of course, Kawai is not Roland, but (who knows ?) they fix their screwups this time. wink

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
G
G
Originally Posted by Randyman
Gustavo Guerra,
Thanks for the detailed initial review!

I'm surprised and disappointed that the new speakers didn't make that much of an impression on you. That was one of the most compelling upgrades for me- bigger amps, specially designed with Onkyo, speakers that are facing up towards you. Perhaps others will have a different take, but I'm surprised its not a significant upgrade from the existing speakers.

Will be curious to hear a follow up review from you, esp for the speakers and action, as you settle in with it more.

In the US, the prices are
$700, es110,
$1,200, es520,
$1,599, es920

Well, the ES520 on the EX patch sounds a bit richer than the ES110 with the same sound, but I'm not sure how much of it is the new engine versus the speakers. They go a little bit louder than the ES110 ones, but not by a significant amount. Neither of them show any signs of distortion even at high volume. For my living room both are adequate enough, I'm saying is that the ones o the ES110 were good enough for me, not that I'm disappointed on the ones on the ES520

Kawai Novus NV5S

G
G
Originally Posted by jeffcat
@ Gustavo Guerra

The 520 has the triple sensor version of the RHC, can you do clean trills faster on es520 vs the ES110. ?

Just tried that, feels about the same, but then again my trills are not great, as I said I only have 6 months of piano practice

Kawai Novus NV5S

G
G
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
The PIANOO video was already mentioned:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3028543
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3028567

But no harm done by mentioning it again, I suppose. They seem to have a new format now with classical snippets too and they always(?) have a clip recorded via the speakers in the end too and always with the same room and equipment, I suppose, so one can compare pianos with each other.

My German is bad, but I think I understood what they said about the ES920:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3028562

Ah, sorry, I had missed that, this is a long thread smile

Kawai Novus NV5S

G
G

In that particular case, the errata sheet suggests it was a last minute found bug. So I think it is possible they fix it.

On RD2000, the firmware versions not only fixed bugs but added features and sounds. Of course, Kawai is not Roland, but (who knows ?) they fix their screwups this time. wink

Yeah, maybe they will fix the metronome/rhythm settings not going to the registration memory, but what would be great would be to be able to press and hold the rhythm or metronome button and then some piano keys to directly input the style and the tempo like on the ES110 as an accelerator

Kawai Novus NV5S

M
M
Gustavo Guerra,

I'm surprised and disappointed that the new speakers didn't make that much of an impression on you. That was one of the most compelling upgrades for me- bigger amps, specially designed with Onkyo, speakers that are facing up towards you. Perhaps others will have a different take, but I'm surprised its not a significant upgrade from the existing speakers.

Will be curious to hear a follow up review from you, esp for the speakers and action, as you settle in with it more.

$700, es110,
$1,200, es520,
$1,599, es920

Hi the same for me I was hoping the speakers where much louder. the es110 is 7w the 520 is meant to be 20 W!! so there should be a big difference. Could you do a test to measure them? i think you can get an app to do it.

thanks

https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

https://soundcloud.com/musicmantees

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
G
G
Originally Posted by musicman100
Gustavo Guerra,

$700, es110,
$1,200, es520,
$1,599, es920

Hi the same for me I was hoping the speakers where much louder. the es110 is 7w the 520 is meant to be 20 W!! so there should be a big difference. Could you do a test to measure them? i think you can get an app to do it.

thanks

Sure, if you point me to an Android app to do it I can measure

Kawai Novus NV5S

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@ Gustavo Guerra

The 520 has the triple sensor version of the RHC, can you do clean trills faster on es520 vs the ES110. ?

Just tried that, feels about the same, but then again my trills are not great, as I said I only have 6 months of piano practice

Hrrrm... we could try 2 handed, play the 2 notes like drums.

Last edited by jeffcat; 10/04/20 07:35 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yeah, maybe they will fix the metronome/rhythm settings not going to the registration memory,

One thing you can do is filing a bug report on Kawai's web site. That behavior you described (the rythm/metronome not being properly saved in the registration) definetely sounds like a bug.

but what would be great would be to be able to press and hold the rhythm or metronome button and then some piano keys to directly input the style and the tempo like on the ES110 as an accelerator

That is not gonna happen, IMO. When you have direct access buttons, it makes no sense using the keys (again IMO) as shortcuts. For you it would be a natural thing as you are used to ES110's way but not for a new owners or even other ES110 owners for which this way of working is probably a nuisance (as it is a cost savings workaround). Also, this would be clearly a new feature, that would add to software complexity, and that very few of 520's owners would require or use. It makes more sense making the registrations working right and most users would use it this way.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
M
M
Thanks that would be really great . there is this app

app

I am not sure how you convert it to Watts.

maybe someone will know more . I will take a measure form my Dexibell P7 so we could at least compare to that.

Thanks

again.

kawai es920 Kawai ES110 ( re bought) Yamaha PSR-S770 (arriving on Monday)Yamaha MODX7
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J

thanks

In order to be ~2x in volume (+10db), you need 10x the power rating. 7 to 70watts. 7 to 20watt would only give you +4.8db. Keep in mind these numbers manufacturers give are probably fudged, creative marketing.

A console/grand acoustic produces 80-100db

use -sound analyzer app- on android it's free and no ads. Measure from where your head is.

These numbers are not exactly comparable due to psychoacoustic elements.

Last edited by jeffcat; 10/04/20 07:56 AM.
M
M

thanks

In order to be ~2x in volume (+10db), you need 10x the power rating. 7 to 70watts. 7 to 20watt would only give you +4.8db. Keep in mind these numbers manufacturers give are probably fudged, creative marketing.

A console/grand acoustic produces 80-100db

use -sound analyzer app- on android it's free and no ads. Measure from where your head is.

These numbers are not exactly comparable due to psychoacoustic elements.

Will try that app now thanks for that

M
M
This is the one jeffcat recommended

App

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Reading the above -

110 520
touch BT in
weight audio in
speakers
tone
interface
price
rhythm robot

I can rig an audio in to the 110. I had the BT in on the Casio PSX 3000 and it's a great feature. I like a be bop action; 110 has it, sounds like 520 doesn't. Jury is out on fast trills (yes, two fingered is fine for this test; that's what Chick himself does...)

At the end of the day, for saxophone, tone is IT. That's why I'm playing a 96 year old Conn tenor when my Selmer Mark VI (1973) has better action. For piano, it seems to be reverse, due to VST. And for pros, WEIGHT. Nobody can schlepp a heavy axe without a car and even then no one wants to. Lots of pros in NYC play Nord due to light. Kawai should next target pros.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
In order to be ~2x in volume (+10db), you need 10x the power rating.

That assuming the speakers have the same efficiency. smile

M
M
Hi dont really understand the rating . But would you be able to measure the ES8 output I know it says 15w but seems to have the same speaker arrangement as the es520/920? This is really important in my decision to buy the es920!! maybe we should start another thread about this.

So how is it best to measure it. Full volume -no touch on- and play middle C ? Would that give a good idea of DB?

thanks

Page 20 of 48 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission