2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Can you tell if someone is not playing in rhythm?

Last edited by Prestzie; 10/01/20 05:02 PM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yes.

If music be the food of love, play on!
I can’t, but I apparently I can follow. I took a 6 week band seminar. I didn’t notice, but at the recital my regular piano teacher said the drummer was all over the place. She said considering how many lessons he had he did good and we didn’t sound too bad since the rest of were able to follow him. smile

I’ve found keeping time to a simple drum track is way easier than a ticking a metronome ever since.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Yes absolutely. Why do you ask?

Bösendorfer 170
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Yes.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It depends. Yes, when it is very obvious and a straight forward rhythm. But for more subtle rhythm mistakes, I need to clap and count. When it is a complicated rhythm, for instance, with different time signatures, I cannot tell.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
Of course !

Blüthner model 6
P
OP Offline
P
I really can’t tell.. do you really count to the bears when someone is playing piano?

B
B
Originally Posted by Prestzie
I really can’t tell.. do you really count to the bears when someone is playing piano?
No, we feel it.......from long experience of clapping, stamping, playing, singing, dancing, hopping, jumping (whatever) in time to the beat in all sorts of music.
Assuming you are American (or even if you're not), clap in time along to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFC-K2IlIU4

Can you hear - and feel - the rhythm, and know when he suddenly slows down?

Now, find out where the strong beats are (i.e. when you might to stamp your foot as well as clap whistle). They should also be regular almost all the way. How many 'weak beats' before each strong beat?

Is it two-in-a-bar, or three or four? (Bar = measure)

Now beat time to it, like a conductor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvHUJ88tao

Do this - and sing/hum/whistle along - with every piece of simple music you know - Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Happy Birthday, Amazing Grace etc. Learn to feel the beats, and where the strong beats are, and therefore how many beats in a bar/measure.

Feeling the beat is the basics of aural skills.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I had the interesting experience of sitting behind the percussion section during a rehearsal of Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring”. The time signature was constantly changing and the work of the percussion section was fascinating. Talk about wild rhythms!

Best regards,

Deborah
P
OP Offline
P
I’m stupid, but how can you tell how many bars in each measure and how do you know what note value they are playing without seeing the music sheet?

Last edited by Prestzie; 10/02/20 04:06 PM.
B
B
I’m stupid, but how can you tell how many bars in each measure and how do you know what note value they are playing without seeing the music sheet?
No-one's talking about note values, or sheet music. You don't need either. You don't need to be able to read music to hear where the beats fall. A child can clap or skip or dance in time to music, including music he/she's never heard before.

This is all about listening skills.

Can you clap or tap along to the linked piece (The Star-Spangled Banner) above? If you really can't, you have serious problems.

Try clapping along with the audience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORHVroiWHk

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I think you are confusing your terms. A "bar" refers only to the vertical line on the score and a "measure" refers to the beats contained between bars. The time signature at the beginning of the piece will tell the musician how many beats there are in each measure and which note value (sixteenth, quarter, half etc.), gets one beat. For example, 3/4 time means there are 3 beats in each measure and the quarter note gets one beat. 6/8 time means there are six beats in a measure and the eighth note gets one beat. Usually, the first note of each measure gets a slight emphasis which could be a slight raising of volume or a slight holding of the note.

Now for listening: Since it's most common that the first beat of each measure is stressed, listen for the stress to help identify the rhythm. For example, try listening to any waltz, which is 3/4 time. In a waltz the first note of each measure gets the emphasis so: ONE two three, ONE two three, etc.

You might consider trying to conduct a recording to see if you can identify the rhythm. Others have suggested clapping.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Deborah
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
In a Bach Chorale it is the music in its forward motion towards
next cadence .(for example , not the in 3 or 4 beats in a bar, with accent on the first beat of the bar) The rhythm clearly follows the "harmonic rhythm" ,in this case always moving forward towards the cadence in only a few bars.
This is very different to a 20th century work like the Rite of Spring . Here the rhythm of the expanding time signatures in some of the movements may follow the density of textural structures rather than the pure functional harmony of Bach .One study suggests Stravinsky first worked out the rhythm in some of movements then added textured structures.
It s an interesting piece to discuss when discussing rhythm.

D
Online Content
D
Originally Posted by gooddog
I think you are confusing your terms. A "bar" refers only to the vertical line on the score and a "measure" refers to the beats contained between bars. The time signature at the beginning of the piece will tell the musician how many beats there are in each measure and which note value (sixteenth, quarter, half etc.), gets one beat. For example, 3/4 time means there are 3 beats in each measure and the quarter note gets one beat. 6/8 time means there are six beats in a measure and the eighth note gets one beat. Usually, the first note of each measure gets a slight emphasis which could be a slight raising of volume or a slight holding of the note.

Now for listening: Since it's most common that the first beat of each measure is stressed, listen for the stress to help identify the rhythm. For example, try listening to any waltz, which is 3/4 time. In a waltz the first note of each measure gets the emphasis so: ONE two three, ONE two three, etc.

You might consider trying to conduct a recording to see if you can identify the rhythm. Others have suggested clapping.

Hope that helps.

Sorry gooddog, but in British English a bar is the term for a measure. The vertical lines which separate the bars/measures are termed bar lines. We say e.g. there are three beats to the bar, the piece is 32 bars long and so on.

N
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
Prestzie,, can you tell if someone is not walking the street in rhythm ? That is, it walks quickly, suddenly slowly, suddenly runs, suddenly stands; right? Under what conditions does this happen in a normal person in a normal situation? It happens when a person has no target : he knows where he came from, but has no idea where to go and why ! Hence, the lack of "phrasing" walking (sic!), and as a result - irregularity of steps. If this person walked from home straight to the goal, for example, to a supermarket, then you can be sure that his walk will be rhythmic, although there is always room for deviations, for example, the sidewalk rises somewhat, and then descends somewhat. In music, such changes are called agogic; and in more significant cases, rubato; but this is by no means irregularity. You can call it a rhythmic gyroscope.
Rhythm refers to a rhythmic tendency , not to a metronome that has no tendency . Rhythmic tendencies come from spoken and poetic language. For example, the Greek iambic rhythm, which was the most important for Bach, is a combination of upbeat with downbeat : before = and one. There is a tendency here: downbeat, like a magnet, attracts upbeat.
An elementary rhythmic tendency in a 4/4 bar -three upbeats are leading to target -minimum - downbeat of next bar :

||: ONE and - and- and - | ONE and -and- and-| ONE and- and- and-:|| etc. Don't think about upbeats, just about downbeats; and the rhythm builds on its own.

However, this is an elementary rhythmic structure; the next level is a block of two bars:
||: ONE and-and-and- | and- and-and-and: II

Further, a similar structure of 4, 8,16, 32, etc. bars, until the very last note will be the target.

Hanon is very good for such exercises.

L
L
As people have said above, you don't need to be able to read sheet music to keep in time with a beat, but you can tell how many beats are in each measure by which beat is emphasized. Eg. if the beat is emphasized every 3 beats, you know it is in some form of 3 time (3/4, 3/8, etc.) As for note value, you can tell by how many beats each note spans. It is pretty easy for me to tell, but it might be harder for other people. Little thing: the exact value (quarter note, eighth note, etc.) depends on which time signature you interpret it as. For example, a quarter note played in 4/4 will sound exactly the same as an eighth note played in 2/4 at half tempo.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think you are confusing your terms. A "bar" refers only to the vertical line on the score and a "measure" refers to the beats contained between bars. The time signature at the beginning of the piece will tell the musician how many beats there are in each measure and which note value (sixteenth, quarter, half etc.), gets one beat.

"Measure" is a North American thing, but "bar" is also used there with the same meaning e.g. 12-bar blues. I never heard the term "measure" used in my studies of music theory.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I think you are confusing your terms. A "bar" refers only to the vertical line on the score and a "measure" refers to the beats contained between bars. The time signature at the beginning of the piece will tell the musician how many beats there are in each measure and which note value (sixteenth, quarter, half etc.), gets one beat.

"Measure" is a North American thing, but "bar" is also used there with the same meaning e.g. 12-bar blues. I never heard the term "measure" used in my studies of music theory.

In my experience, "bar" and "measure" are frequently used synonymously. A "bar line" on the other hand means simply what it implies: a vertical line separating measures (or bars) in a score.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
OP Offline
P
how do you tell if say someone plays slightly out of rhythm in solo playing? For example if they should be playing a minum but only plays it like a dotted note..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission