2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
85 members (Abdol, Alex_Ki, A Guy, aphexdisklavier, adoser, accordeur, anotherscott, 20 invisible), 598 guests, and 454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Key Signatures
ee375 #3031167 10/02/20 02:50 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
As someone who has always been overly reliant on my sight reading ability I am probably an outlier in all of this, but I have long ago forgotten most of my theory and never think about the key signature of a new piece, or the names of anything. I just glance at the sharps or flats and take off from there, no matter whether major or minor - they may well change along the way and you adjust. It helps to be a fast reader and to be able to take in patterns and be able to quickly 'get into the piece'.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
ee375 #3031172 10/02/20 03:25 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
I dont know of any great pianist that is not also a top musician, which includes excellent theory knowledge, but also music history, structural and formal knowledge and other skills. All these skills participate directly or indirectly to improve the playing ability. The idea that one can become a good musician by simply reading notes without any clue of what one is playing, nor how it is organized is ......(one can choose the appropriate word). It can work out to a certain point after which it will become a blocking point. Thats why all programs like RCM or ABRSM include theory as a requirement. The fact that one is not necessarily always thinking consciously about what key is in progress does not mean it is not usefull. When i read arpeggios or chords, i know what those chords are within the key i am in. I recognize immediately inversions, 7th and so on. I know when i am in a cadential formula and it does help also to remember what to play, it acts as a sign post. Thats why rcm or abrsm also includes the practice of those chords and arpeggios in all keys, as well as the cadential formulas. It is like grammar in a language. You can learn to speak just by imitation and oral practice, but to get further and be able to read and write more complex sentences, grammar is necessary.

But if one is only interested to be like a playing machine, a sort of human robot reading notes and pressing ad hoc keys on a keyboard, then of course no addtional knowledge is necessary. Just like people who dont need to become proficient in a language and just need to be able to interact in casual everyday life situations dont need to know the grammar.

Qazsedcft #3031212 10/02/20 06:02 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Originally Posted by jeffcat
I'm not saying music theory is bad, it won't hurt to know, but it's not a requirement for the sake of playing/ sight reading.
I'd disagree about sight reading. The most brilliant sight readers that I knew were all experts in theory.

My thoughts exactly. You can sight read much faster when you can take in a whole arpeggio at once instead of reading individual notes.

Exactly. I think what many people don't understand is that theory requires drilling just as well as technical things. If you know that interval X consists of Y semitones this knowledge gives almost nothing to you practically. You need to get a book with very simple pieces and practice naming and playing every interval there one by one. You know, in Russian music schools music theory is a weekly lesson and that is what's mostly going on on these lessons - theory drilling. With time your eyes and your hands will remember every interval from every note, and that is where true intervallic reading begins, when after one note your eyes and your fingers automatically identify interval, and for some neurological reason it's faster than identifying next note individually. From intervals you then go to triads, then to 6th and 7th chords, then maybe to extended chords, and you become good sight reader. That is how it works.

Iaroslav Vasiliev #3031221 10/02/20 06:40 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm not saying music theory is bad, it won't hurt to know, but it's not a requirement for the sake of playing/ sight reading.
I'd disagree about sight reading. The most brilliant sight readers that I knew were all experts in theory.

There is NO TIME to think theory when it comes to sight reading.

That brilliant sight reader is not drawing on his theory knowledge when sight reading. He may well know more about what he's reading than another person, but he is NOT using that knowledge when performing the act.

What's happening in the brilliant sight reader, vs a lesser, is that the more experienced guy has more SETS of muscle memory facing the music, which covers significantly more Fingering variations.

It's like a person who types faster, simply knowing more words. YES he does know more words, but that's not why he types faster. The bulk of the speed actually comes from having practiced muscle memory for digraphs and trigraphs. For example, typing -stewart-. The user has st, ew, and art as muscle memory. He may have never typed the name stewart in his life, but he's typed alot of ART from words that end in that, and alot of ST for words that begin in ST, and EW for words that end in EW.

Music is the same way, again, You can type really fast without knowing the word or what it means. Just as you can play and sight read fast without knowing what ANY of the key signatures are.

The REASON you'd have people who sight read well also being familiar with the theory is simply due to the fact that anyone spending that much time physically practicing piano would've also spent some time hitting the books. But, those books are not the primary reason why that person is FAST at sight reading.

You know a ton of stuff about cars from reading engine manuals, does that mean you can transcribe on a qwerty keyboard an essay about cars faster than an essay about dinnerware ? No , they both come out about the same pace.

Sight-reading just like typing, as an act, is quite independent from indepth knowledge of english and music theory.

Last edited by jeffcat; 10/02/20 06:49 AM.
ee375 #3031224 10/02/20 06:47 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
^ I think I've addressed it in my previous post some minutes ago.

Iaroslav Vasiliev #3031227 10/02/20 06:52 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J
No you haven't, you critically misunderstand sight reading. Lots of people do.

Fast sight reading has everything to do with building large sets of muscle memory. Knowing the key signature doesn't hurt, and it gives a person a NAME for the set of muscle memory which he's built. That name does not make him fast, the LARGER SETS of muscle memory makes him fast.

Last edited by jeffcat; 10/02/20 06:55 AM.
jeffcat #3031246 10/02/20 08:10 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Well, I think for now I did my best trying to demonstrate the connection between theory and sight reading. Sorry that I've been unable to convince you, maybe some other day.

jeffcat #3031248 10/02/20 08:24 AM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
No you haven't, you critically misunderstand sight reading. Lots of people do.

Fast sight reading has everything to do with building large sets of muscle memory. Knowing the key signature doesn't hurt, and it gives a person a NAME for the set of muscle memory which he's built. That name does not make him fast, the LARGER SETS of muscle memory makes him fast.
I'm not surprised at the large number of educators misunderstanding sight-reading. I meet the same thing in other activities.

But where are your concepts coming from? I don't consciously use names when sight-reading nor do I suspect those names are helpful but I do associate particular groups of notes with particular keys and get thrown a curve ball when a key turns from many sharps or flats to the other side, e.g. Chopin 28/15 or 64/2.

Your supposition, if that's what it is, would seem to belie that. I'd be interested in any supporting documentation you could point us to or any further help in understanding your thoughts. If it were greater muscle memory without theoretical understanding of some sort I would have thought that the better or faster sight-readers would be little better than guitar-hero type players but this is not the case; they are typically excellent musicians who interpret well on the fly.

Richard
Iaroslav Vasiliev #3031256 10/02/20 09:01 AM
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Well, I think for now I did my best trying to demonstrate the connection between theory and sight reading. Sorry that I've been unable to convince you, maybe some other day.

I'm convinced of the connection completely. The OP though was inquiring of the connection of this theory to their playing better. Reading may be part of playing better, but this is more in a overall sense.

For example, if you have something up to tempo, but are struggling to play it better, than having an ability to read faster is of no help to you now. It isn't the issue. Tone quality and expression is more likely the issue.

Long term though if you wish to become a better musician and play better too, everything will need to advance together and this is where what you're suggesting makes sense to me. But not for day to day playing better.

Greener #3031311 10/02/20 11:27 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Greener

I'm convinced of the connection completely. The OP though was inquiring of the connection of this theory to their playing better. Reading may be part of playing better, but this is more in a overall sense.

For example, if you have something up to tempo, but are struggling to play it better, than having an ability to read faster is of no help to you now. It isn't the issue. Tone quality and expression is more likely the issue.

Long term though if you wish to become a better musician and play better too, everything will need to advance together and this is where what you're suggesting makes sense to me. But not for day to day playing better.
Yes, I fully agree, theory doesn't help to play better physically, except maybe for some confidence that it gives, and it makes sense to procede to theory training only when good physical, technical foundation is already built.
Main benefits of theory which are better memorization and better reading are relevant at a later stage, when you need to work on pieces faster.

ee375 #3031482 10/02/20 07:45 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Once upon a time, i had a devil of a time with more than one church organist/pianist. I would enquire the key to a given hymn, they would shrug thier shoulders. They could have exclaimed "four flats," or "one sharp." I had to learn how to ask them. Then translate.
I have to agree, key or tonic center, is part of chord/harmony theory. If your road hasn't taken you there by nessesity or otherwise, you simply don't know.

God Bless Leon Russell
Farmerjones #3031535 10/03/20 02:50 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Farmerjones
Once upon a time, i had a devil of a time with more than one church organist/pianist. I would enquire the key to a given hymn, they would shrug thier shoulders. They could have exclaimed "four flats," or "one sharp." I had to learn how to ask them. Then translate.
Obviously, more than one church organist/pianist manages perfectly fine without knowing the key that they are in. wink

Actually, personally, I am always aware of what key I am in, because I want to know what I am doing. But if you are not interested, and especially if playing the piano is a hobby for you, just don't bother. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Animisha #3031574 10/03/20 06:45 AM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Animisha
... if you are not interested, and especially if playing the piano is a hobby for you, just don't bother. smile

What would an interested hobbyist do? grin

Are these really the only realistic scenarios?

Some people just have a need to know why they need to learn something. Once acknowledged they may feel differently. Or not, but if you have a desire to play better, even as a hobbyist the same things apply.

To my knowledge, everyone around here is a hobbyist. Most of them though are also very serious about getting better.

ee375 #3031584 10/03/20 07:16 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Greener, I meant, If you are not interested in knowing what key signature your piece is in, then just don't bother about key signatures.

And if you have a desire to play better, there are many ways to do that without learning key signatures.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
ee375 #3031725 10/03/20 04:36 PM
W
W
Actually you can also ask why you need to know the note names in order to play. You can just look at the position of the note head on the sheet music and press the corresponding piano key. So the OP may ask, "how does knowing that note is called "B" help me play better"? I think it doesn't. In my opinion, knowing the key (tonic) and the scale degrees and resulting chords help you play better. Knowing the letter names of the notes, not so much, except to communicate with others.

wszxbcl #3031738 10/03/20 04:58 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
So the OP may ask, "how does knowing that note is called "B" help me play better"?
I went close to 50 years without knowing note names, and yet playing from sheet music. Don't even ask. Learning the parts I didn't know opened a lot of doors, and made some things faster and easier. Having what I had accidentally gave me other avenues.

jeffcat #3031797 10/03/20 09:20 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You know a ton of stuff about cars from reading engine manuals, does that mean you can transcribe on a qwerty keyboard an essay about cars faster than an essay about dinnerware ? No , they both come out about the same pace.

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

From what I learned in grad school, you will type the essay faster if you have more prior knowledge about the topic. For example, you'll have more vocabulary and knowledge of how to spell specific words, and groups of words.

The rest of your stuff on sight reading makes almost no sense to me.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #3031799 10/03/20 09:29 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

From what I learned in grad school, you will type the essay faster if you have more prior knowledge about the topic. For example, you'll have more vocabulary and knowledge of how to spell specific words, and groups of words.

The rest of your stuff on sight reading makes almost no sense to me.

You are making the wrong analogy connections..

Sight reading is like Transcription <on a computer keyboard>

That is not the same as writing an essay, or free form jazz, or improv

jeffcat #3031800 10/03/20 09:33 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You are making the wrong analogy connections..

Sight reading is like Transcription <on a computer keyboard>

That is not the same as writing an essay, or free form jazz, or improv

When you transcribe, you listen to an audio and you type what you hear.

Don't you need to know how to spell in order to do that?

If you have to stop to look up every technical jargon, doesn't that make you slower?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
jeffcat #3031836 10/04/20 04:13 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
That brilliant sight reader is not drawing on his theory knowledge when sight reading. He may well know more about what he's reading than another person, but he is NOT using that knowledge when performing the act.

What's happening in the brilliant sight reader, vs a lesser, is that the more experienced guy has more SETS of muscle memory facing the music, which covers significantly more Fingering variations.

It's like a person who types faster, simply knowing more words. YES he does know more words, but that's not why he types faster. The bulk of the speed actually comes from having practiced muscle memory for digraphs and trigraphs. For example, typing -stewart-. The user has st, ew, and art as muscle memory. He may have never typed the name stewart in his life, but he's typed alot of ART from words that end in that, and alot of ST for words that begin in ST, and EW for words that end in EW.

You are confusing conscious thinking and automated execution of patterns registered by your brain. Muscle memory does not exist. It is all driven by our knowledge stored in our brain. And yes, of course one is typing faster when one understands what is being typed. Try to type something in chinese characters or in a language that you do not know, it will be way slower. When one is driving a car, most actions are automatic. But pushing the clutch is not due to muscle memory in my leg, but a set of predefined patterns in my brain.

What makes the difference is how the knowledge is stored. If you only register patterns without any rationale, it will be less effective than when there is a set of principles that you understand that govern that knowledge. But after a while the actions are so well registered as execution patterns that one does not necessarily realize what is going on. But does not mean the rationale does not play a role.

For example taking a simple piece like Fur Elise. The main theme is basically just arpeggios on 2 chords, the tonic one followed by the dominant. When reading the score, i dont even need to figure out the pattern, i recognize these chords since i am in the key of A minor. I actually dont even need to read the score, i can play the measures simply because i understand how it is structured. Most top pianists memorize quckly that way. And i dont need to know all the patterns in all different configurations. I just need to some of them and the various permutations that are possible. After a while though, i am so used to do that that it becomes fully automated and unconscious, but the knowledge of how it works is what has allowed by brain to automate the process.

In summary, the idea that sight reading or playing music is a purely mechanical activity only based on physical abilities and muscle memory (whatever that may mean for those using the term) makes no sense.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission