2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (36251, Bett, anotherscott, An Old Square, allegrettoforte, Ajax69, accordeur, 16 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3031178 10/02/20 03:53 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I recently bought a Yamaha N3X. It turned out that there was a problem with the damper pedal,
which spontaneously acted as if it was partially pressed during playing. Quite annoying.
Today a repairman came. It turned out that the connections to the potmeter were not soldered.
So much for Japanese quality control. See the enclosed pictures.

I hope this is the only connection they forgot to solder...

This is just for your information (and for the enjoyment of James Kawai, of course).

[Linked Image]
The picture will only be available for a limited time.

--
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm looking at that picture, and I'm trying to visualize how the pedal is linked to that pot.
[Linked Image]

M
OP Offline
M
There is a removed wooden bar, which the pedal moves upward being stopped by the brown leather cushion. It is also connected -- I believe -- to the white parts that move the potmeter. The piano is closed now, and I rather open it myself now just for the sake of making a clarifying picture.

--
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
What a strange miss. Everything else looks tidy and I would not assume other major errors.

Yamaha AvantGrand's have a good reputation and as you see on the posts here. Yamaha also has a good warranty programme.

Let us know how you like the piano otherwise.

M
OP Offline
M
At newer player: We have an 100 year old Schwechten piano which is still quite good, but loud. I wanted to be able to record easily, have a real piano without maintenance hassle and be able to turn the volume down if needed. I bought a Kawai CS10 which, although not bad, was really quite remote from a real piano especially through the speakers. I had the same feeling when trying the NV10. When playing I was sometimes struck with the feeling that this is really not a piano. The N3X is clearly better. I don't have that feeling of it not being a piano anymore, but especially the mid and high tones are somewhat dull. My feeling is that in the coming decades digitals will still be improved substantially, for instance using better speaker systems.

Actually, my findings are quite in line with what was already stated in this forum. Furthermore, I am a mediocre player at best, only play for my own enjoyment, and I have no extensive experience in listening to whole ranges of other piano's and grands.

Having said this, I am not dissatisfied. As it stands the N3X is the best digital one can get, and hence one cannot wish for more (or less, but then there was no N2X, which I would have preferred).

--
This is how I felt when I auditioned an N3X last month ...
Originally Posted by Miles Behind
As it stands the N3X is the best digital one can get ...
I wanted to try an N1X. None were in stock, so I had to settle for the N3X. smile

If the N1X sounds (through headphones) and feels as good as the N3X, then I'll buy one next year.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Miles,

Think of room placement and furnishings to optimize the sound of the piano to your liking.

If you the piano closer to walls and corners, you might boost lower frequencies. Very small movements can have a big impact on different frequencies. So try a few different positions, even if moving just a few centimeters.

Exposed hardwood floors, exposed windows, less furniture might boost higher frequencies. If you have carpets, you could simply lay some wood or flooring around the piano (caution to protect the rug and tripping etc.)

If you add carpets, curtains, furniture, full bookshelves, etc, you might reduce higher frequencies. Scandinavians like shaggy rugs on the wall for fashion purposes so if you like Scandinavian design and reduced high frequencies, that is a compelling idea.

Putting rubber caster cups under the legs might change the sound also. There is a lot of audio snakeoil around that one but "decoupling" from the floor and frame of the house will change sound slightly. Let your ears be the judge here. As a bonus, this can reduce the banging sound of keys throughout your house.

K
K
I bought a Kawai CS10 which, although not bad, was really quite remote from a real piano especially through the speakers. I had the same feeling when trying the NV10. When playing I was sometimes struck with the feeling that this is really not a piano. The N3X is clearly better. I don't have that feeling of it not being a piano anymore, but especially the mid and high tones are somewhat dull.

I'm in the market for NV10 and would like to understand how it pales compared to N3X especially since I can audition an N3X in a showroom but I can't access any NV10 except through video reviews.

I likely would worry about speaker output / realism. For example, I felt CA99 had to much bass beyond uprights and grands, but if I relied just on video reviews I won't have realised that. Another example, I noticed CLP-785 sound rendition is the most realistic compared to 735 745 775. Reviews likely concur about this, so going by reviews here would be safe.

Is there issue you have with NV10 the realism of the sound output compared to a real piano, perhaps too much or too little bass, or something else, or with it's physical appearance? I'm hoping issues of sound might be compensated somewhat with digital adjustments present in most high end DPs eg bass/treble balancing / EQ, "room" settings etc.

Thanks!

The talk here is that the speaker system is the weak spot for the NV10. And a quick look at the N3X suggests quite the opposite.

K
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The talk here is that the speaker system is the weak spot for the NV10. And a quick look at the N3X suggests quite the opposite.
How much of an enticement is NV10's feature of real damper pedal action?

This is just for your information (and for the enjoyment of James Kawai, of course).

Thank you for the picture.

These instruments are assembled by humans, and humans can sometimes make mistakes. However, I expect this kind of error is a very rare occurrence.

The picture will only be available for a limited time.

Is there a reason you don't upload the image to a image hosting website, so that is available indefinitely?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by kailord
How much of an enticement is NV10's feature of real damper pedal action?

For some players, this feature is very enticing. For others, it is less important.

My recommendation would be to try to seek out an NV10 in your area (you do not say where you are based), in order to play-test the instrument for yourself.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James
For some players, this feature is very enticing. For others, it is less important.

My recommendation would be to try to seek out an NV10 in your area (you do not say where you are based), in order to play-test the instrument for yourself.

Kind regards,
James
x
He's from Singapore, which is also where I am from. I believe we only have one dealer here, which is Robert Piano, and they don't have the Novus line for testing. As someone who was previously in the market for a hybrid, I was quite annoyed by that. Furthermore, delivery was going to take much longer than the AvantGrand from Yamaha. Hence, I went with the AG.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Beowulf,

Originally Posted by Beowulf
He's from Singapore, which is also where I am from.

Okay, I see.

I will pass on your feedback to my colleagues in the sales department.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Did the technician solder them on the spot, or are they replacing the whole instrument (the correct option)?

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I doubt if they would replace the whole instrument rather than just solder them on the spot. The OP would have mentioned it if they replaced the whole instrument. I think in this case the correct option would be to repair the unit on-site as a warranty item because it's a simple repair on an already purchased unit.

I agree. Why would any seller transport a piano to be repaired if the repair can be done on-site?
From the picture it seems to be nothing more than three solder joints. (But I wonder whether the typical piano tech travels with solder and iron in his tool bag?)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Burkey
...or are they replacing the whole instrument (the correct option)?

Uh, what? Please explain.

If I were the OP, I'd love to see slip-on connectors instead of soldering, in case things need to be disassembled ever again.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Volusiano
I doubt if they would replace the whole instrument rather than just solder them on the spot.
Do piano technicians typically hold electronics soldering qualifications? There's a vast spectrum from novice to expert in soldering quality. I worked modding a few thousand games consoles over several years in my youth - I wouldn't trust some part-time-soldering technician touching my N3X.

Last edited by Burkey; 10/05/20 10:25 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What bothers me more in this case is the use of potentiometer instead of optical sensors. Kawai are apparently ahead of this with optical sensors in their pedals (and they know that the hard way after so many VPC-1 pedal units with potentiometers made by Fatar failed). I know Mac will say his old Clav uses potentiometers and is still working (is half-pedaling actually supported?) but I have no high hopes even in the best potentiometer.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Happy Holidays Everyone!!
by Oniap - 11/27/21 01:56 PM
Bestselling Adult Beginner Method Books Reviewed
by scientistplayspian - 11/27/21 01:38 PM
Heartattack - how my iPad destroyed my Piano
by Senahoi - 11/27/21 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,279
Posts3,149,228
Members103,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission