2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (Abdol, andredatele, Beowulf, Cutec, CyberGene, brennbaer, 18 invisible), 476 guests, and 495 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Online piano lessons
AZNpiano #3029424 09/26/20 10:08 PM
U
Online Content
U
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Now that all the local children are back to in-person school, I should be getting the hold-outs back within a week. But if you cross the county line, those students in Los Angeles will never go back to in-person learning.
Of the children that have returned to piano after 6 months off, it's very apparent that their brains have also rotted to the point of no return. This pandemic has made all the kids dumber. They can't even follow simple directions. Distance learning has been a catastrophic failure.

This easily wins the award of the most inane thing I’ve read on the Internet this week. And given the competition, that’s an impressive achievement.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
UpNorth #3029426 09/26/20 10:42 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UpNorth
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Now that all the local children are back to in-person school, I should be getting the hold-outs back within a week. But if you cross the county line, those students in Los Angeles will never go back to in-person learning.
Of the children that have returned to piano after 6 months off, it's very apparent that their brains have also rotted to the point of no return. This pandemic has made all the kids dumber. They can't even follow simple directions. Distance learning has been a catastrophic failure.

This easily wins the award of the most inane thing I’ve read on the Internet this week. And given the competition, that’s an impressive achievement.

Looks like somebody's brain has rotted to the point of no return.......

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Moo :) #3029479 09/27/20 06:35 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Let’s play nice, folks.

Getting back to the topic of online piano lessons, I had my lesson yesterday and right when I joined the Zoom call, my internet cut out. And that really never happens to me. I am teaching online myself right now (not music)... I went and got my cellphone and reconnected but couldn’t get my video to work, so we had our lesson with just audio from me. And it was actually fine, my teacher said the cellphone audio was fine for him to hear my piano and I could hear him, so we just got down to business. Not ideal, but it was still a great lesson and I learned a lot, so there you go.

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 09/27/20 06:35 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Moo :) #3030656 09/30/20 04:08 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I suspect I am not the only one going through very similar situation as you about online lessons.

It is very convenient not having to travel for lessons, and it is true that online lessons will never be as good as face-to-face lessons. My take is that online lesson is better than no lesson.

I have had 10 years of face -to-face lessons with my current teacher and I think that helps with teaching techniques because he knows very well my common problems. To combat poor video/audio online streaming, I pre-record my pieces in video and send it to my teacher when they are ready to be played through. For fingerings for new pieces, I sometimes mark my fingerings and send a PDF to my teacher before lesson to then go through it during lesson. So far, I have been able to progress via online lessons this year.

As for teaching kids, my sis recently asked me to teach my 4yo nephew in Belgium. So far we have had 3 weekly half hour online lessons. It is very challenging because I have never taught piano before (except a 1 month stint as a replacement teacher over 2 decades ago). I find it impossible to teach a kid that is a complete beginner unless I am teaching both my nephew and my sis at the same time, so my sis could guide my nephew during lesson.

Interesting times require interesting solutions :-)

Be yourself

Moo :) #3030669 09/30/20 04:32 PM
M
Moo :) Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm not sure any piano teachers could teach a 4 year online in a different country. It is far too old to be starting at this age and you need to be starting ideally before birth or at the latest 4 weeks old.

Moo :) #3030909 10/01/20 09:25 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I don't have a choice with online lessons. My teacher only teach at the local conservatory and not in her home. The music school went into lockdown in March so all the students were asked to connect through Zoom.

Cory Hall with a YouTube channel BachScholar has been teaching online through Skype for years and didn't find it a big issue. Unless I'm a beginner looking for a teacher the first time I'd rather stick to the same teacher until the C-19 thing is over. I know there are at least 4 music schools in my area but too much of a hassle to change over. Hopefully in a year the person-to-person lessons can resume.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Relation beetwen woofer inches - piano feet
by Ubu - 12/03/20 09:47 AM
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,230
Posts3,029,992
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission