2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
According to Jethro’s experience and my experience with the CF4 it would be a piano I would play just to hear it sing rather than practice.

Pianoloverus - I didn’t bring my piano into the discussion. I’m trying to reform. smile
Do you have to keep bringing up your piano? crazy

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by hydrodog
It does not make sense to fully build a piano by hand since the modern technology can do a lot of things better with machine and computer than hand. I agree that the "handbuilt" label is mainly to emphasize that there's much more dedication to the piano in that a worker spends more time on the piano hence lower production and higher price.

I'm looking for a piano that has a clean, precise tone and excellent action. Also don't want to kill the wallet. I know that both kawai and yamaha are the best at this but from my experience I found the GX and the CX both lacking when playing the likes of Rachmaninoff or Ravel that may be a bit to heavy on notes at sections. It seemed to me that the pianos were very great but produced a muddled sound when playing lots of keys at once especially on dissonant chords. I'm hoping that the higher tier Japanese pianos can handle such. They're presumably cheaper than the Steinway and I've only heard great reviews from owners.

If improved clarity and richness of tone is what you are looking for the hand built models from these Japanese manufacturers won't disappoint, but there are others somewhat within possible price range from America and Europe that you may want to look at as well.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Regarding Yamaha and Kawai can anyone share their experience on how much better the SK series is compared to the GX or the CF is compared to the CX. Was thinking of getting the SK or the CF pianos as a potential upgrade in the future. I know they are both handbuilt and some of the best pianos but is the improvement in sound much better and worth the upgrade.
As far as I know no pianos today are hand built. Some pianos have more non machine work in certain parts of the manufacturing than others. Many parts of piano manufacture can be done far better by computer controlled machinery than by hand.

No one can say definitively if a certain amount of improvement in performance is "worth" the higher price. Is a $50 dinner worth the price compared to a $25 dinner?

Even if the CFs and Shigerus aren’t fully hand made both piano lines require a great deal of precision voicing, regulation, and tuning before they leave the factory so that even an intermediate amateur can appreciate the difference.
No one's claiming those pianos don't have a lot more human work done on them vs. the lesser models in those makers lineups, but I don't think they or any piano today is even close to being "fully hand made".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/30/20 04:24 PM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
According to Jethro’s experience and my experience with the CF4 it would be a piano I would play just to hear it sing rather than practice.

Pianoloverus - I didn’t bring my piano into the discussion. I’m trying to reform. smile
Yes just be good now ! ! ! ........just say what is correct, SAUTER PIANOS 💐 💐 💐 Spaichingen🌻 Germany (hand made pianos)
ESTONIA incredible grand pianos 🇪🇪 (hand made pianos)

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/30/20 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
FWIW

Yamaha U1 vs Kawai K-300 Upright Piano Comparison, Review & Demo

Enjoy!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
B
BDB Offline
B
I turned it off when he said the U1 is a high tension scale so the strings are a bit shorter.

Semipro Tech
R
R
hold on, let me grab another bag of popcorn

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by rkzhao
Yes do that I may need two extra strength Tylenol tablets.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/30/20 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

While you're up, ask them to change the marquee to "Stu Harrison v. PianoWorld."

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
B
B
It does not make sense to fully build a piano by hand since the modern technology can do a lot of things better with machine and computer than hand. I agree that the "handbuilt" label is mainly to emphasize that there's much more dedication to the piano in that a worker spends more time on the piano hence lower production and higher price.

I'm looking for a piano that has a clean, precise tone and excellent action. Also don't want to kill the wallet. I know that both kawai and yamaha are the best at this but from my experience I found the GX and the CX both lacking when playing the likes of Rachmaninoff or Ravel that may be a bit to heavy on notes at sections. It seemed to me that the pianos were very great but produced a muddled sound when playing lots of keys at once especially on dissonant chords. I'm hoping that the higher tier Japanese pianos can handle such. They're presumably cheaper than the Steinway and I've only heard great reviews from owners.

My wife and I recently watched a movie called "Note by Note, The Making of Steinway L1037". Very well done, showed a lot of the skilled workers and how much of the piano is in fact hand-crafted.

The final tuner had an interesting observation. He stated that it takes a human touch to bring out the full character of an individual piano, something that cannot be replicated by a computer without making pianos sound too similar, like a digital keyboard.

Last edited by Buzz209; 09/30/20 08:00 PM.

Yamaha C2X
Yamaha P-125

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by BDB
I turned it off when he said the U1 is a high tension scale so the strings are a bit shorter.
So then you missed the part where he said the Kawai K300 has lower tension and longer bass strings.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Online Content
Originally Posted by Buzz209
My wife and I recently watched a movie called "Note by Note, The Making of Steinway L1037". Very well done, showed a lot of the skilled workers and how much of the piano is in fact hand-crafted.

The final tuner had an interesting observation. He stated that it takes a human touch to bring out the full character of an individual piano, something that cannot be replicated by a computer without making pianos sound too similar, like a digital keyboard.
I think that movie is at least 13 years old(and the book even older), and the amount of work done by machine at Steinway has increased. Also, since Steinway knows that "handmade" will be a good marketing tool for some buyers, isn't it obvious they will emphasize that in the move, which is a commercial for Steinway? Finally, although Steinway likes to advertise that their instruments are very individual, others would say that this is just evidence of inconsistency in production.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/30/20 08:29 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I was interested in the comments about Sofia and Bulgaria. Anyone interested should probably take a look at:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2974835/piano-party-2021-bulgaria.html#Post2974835

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by BDB
So then you missed the part where he said the Kawai K300 has lower tension and longer bass strings.

As so often has been shown around here, the world of piano hype has no room for physics!

Semipro Tech
R
R
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by BDB

As so often has been shown around here, the world of piano hype has no room for physics!

I asked this during the discussion on the first video but I'm not sure if anyone ever responded. Did any one of the numerous objective experts here ever clarify whether Stu is actually wrong about Yamaha using a higher tension scale design than Kawai? The string length at least by spec (#1 bass string) is listed to be longer in Kawai.

In case there any confusion, I believe to obey the laws of physics, higher tension, shorter string, would just require greater mass in the strings.

Last edited by rkzhao; 10/01/20 02:21 AM.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB

Exactly

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I asked this during the discussion on the first video but I'm not sure if anyone ever responded. Did any one of the numerous objective experts here ever clarify whether Stu is actually wrong about Yamaha using a higher tension scale design than Kawai? The string length at least by spec (#1 bass string) is listed to be longer in Kawai.

In case there any confusion, I believe to obey the laws of physics, higher tension, shorter string, would just require greater mass in the strings.

Yes, a thicker string requires more tension. But a short, thick string would probably lose clarity and sustain. Clarity and sustain are common characteristics of Yamaha’s tone so the claim doesn’t compute.

I wish I had a scale chart of the two pianos.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I’m happy to read some light hearted banter.

In response to
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I think any intelligent person watching these videos will know that Stu is associated with a piano dealer, and in this case, that they sell Kawai’s and used Yamaha’s.

Actually it is not clear as they do not mention that they are a seller of new Kawai or used anything else. It became obvious to me because I have a strong BS detector. I don’t care to google search everything as it’s a waste of my time.

I don’t care what piano anyone likes or chooses to buy, I just can’t stand BS. And Stu’s comparison videos are reeking of it.

That's only because these videos are being treated as reviews when they are really adverts. As adverts they aren't worse than most things.

Online Content
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I’m happy to read some light hearted banter.

In response to
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I think any intelligent person watching these videos will know that Stu is associated with a piano dealer, and in this case, that they sell Kawai’s and used Yamaha’s.

Actually it is not clear as they do not mention that they are a seller of new Kawai or used anything else. It became obvious to me because I have a strong BS detector. I don’t care to google search everything as it’s a waste of my time.

I don’t care what piano anyone likes or chooses to buy, I just can’t stand BS. And Stu’s comparison videos are reeking of it.

That's only because these videos are being treated as reviews when they are really adverts. As adverts they aren't worse than most things.
They are adverts but in the video the sales person treats them as unbiased reviews. That's what some posters don't like.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Emery Wang

While you're up, ask them to change the marquee to "Stu Harrison v. PianoWorld."
Yes I do not know why we are using Stu to scapegoat ?.Do Canadians only represent Kawai now ?
No we also have Yamaha top models as well. No one would just say what they like about those dealers here in Vancouver though ............

The Kawai dealers are always the nicest people, never running
down other dealers or brands. I have not watched the video yet , but I always think he is his kind self.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission