2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
34 members (DionG, Charles Cohen, Chouca, Brahms4, brennbaer, almo82, 1009Vic, danielp11, DaKillaGuineaPig, 5 invisible), 411 guests, and 472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What!? No glides?
#3029998 09/28/20 04:38 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Serves me right for buying a 151-year-old piano. While I had the action out of my big old Steinway (to glue a jack toe back into place), I thought I'd see why the una corda had never worked. The pedal moves the actuator, that metal tongue sticking through the keybed floor, but there are no glides on the key frame. There are also no marks of anything ever being slid from side to side on the keybed. The spring is present on the right side of the case and it looks old enough to be original.
So I don't think it was a dummy. Apparently they wanted you to wax the bottom of the key frame so the whole surface could slide to the right and back again. Nowdays we would use graphite -- but there's no sign of anything ever having been applied to the keybed.
Has anybody else ever encountered this? Am I just not looking in the right places? Is there some part or parts that are missing?
The action and key levers are nice and new, so the whole thing (except the key frame and action brackets) was probably replaced in 1981, when Mr. Groff rebuilt it (and didn't get the wrestpin spacing right).

(ad)
Piano Tuning
Re: What!? No glides?
edferris #3030039 09/28/20 06:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have seen very old Steinways with keyframe glides. It will slide without them.

If it doesn't move, then the pedal lever may not be contacting the keyframe correctly. The wood on the bottom of the keyframe where it pushes can be damaged / broken away, or the lever just isn't high enough into the action area to get sufficient purchase on the keyframe to push. It needs to be investigated.

I would recommend coating both the keybed and bottom of the keyframe with McLube 444. This is a clear Teflon coating that will permanently seal the wood and make a great sliding surface for the action. It stinks to high heaven when you put it on, so be careful that there is plenty of fresh air and fans blowing across the room when using it! Once it is dry there is no smell.

It seems to me that you should have your technician look at the pedal lever / keyframe interaction. It could be a simple fix, or the wood under the keyframe needs to be repaired, or something else - stop screw is misadjusted, action location is not correct, etc.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
edferris #3030387 09/29/20 07:27 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that there never were glides.
I waxed the keybed with Johnson Wax and the una corda works fine now, in fact a lot smoother than most I've seen. Unfortunately, on returning, the frame gets turned slightly, so A0 binds and the extreme treble hammers stick on the edge of the harp cutout. I think this is because the wood is worn away where the spring contacts it. Something to fix later.
By the way, another jack toe turns out to be loose and I'm gluing it in without pulling the action out. I wanted to see it the first time, anyway.

edferris #3030472 09/30/20 03:10 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
There are so many old English and European grands here, that I seldom see a keybed with glides! Good idea about Johnson Wax. Furniture polish is what Roberts Pianos (piano dealer in Oxford who do a lot of rebuild work and who have many YouTube videos) say they use to lubricate the shift, too.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Richard Goode joins Peabody Faculty
by Keith D Kerman - 12/04/20 11:44 PM
Thoughts on this Piano?
by Matthew777 - 12/04/20 10:10 PM
Deper than it Looks
by trooplewis - 12/04/20 09:49 PM
Rainbow punchings
by TimM_980 - 12/04/20 09:48 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,273
Posts3,030,726
Members99,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission