2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by JoeT
Sorry, 540 € is not what I spend on a mere app, especially with a dongle. For that amount I buy myself tangible stuff, like another guitar. Or more pedals/modules/synths, which work on their own.

That's the full version.

The standard version is more than enough for most people, it really contains all the best mics in my opinion, which I was happy to find out about, since €540 for one piano would be way too much for me as well. I don't need any of the full version mics. The standard version, if you wait for a sale it's what.. €220 or something? Given the quality of these vst's.. i'd say that's a very fair price, as I think they are the absolute best.

The dongle.. yeah, I was a hater of it before as well. Now I happily accept it, since the quality of these libaries make it more than worth it.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I play sample libraries everyday and I use them for practicing, I see no problems as long as I have a good keyboard controller. They can also be used for performance, and really enjoyable to play indeed! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by U3piano
Question, did you ever try a vsl libary?

You cannot "try" a VSL library.

That's true.

Well, you can actually. But you have to buy the library, and if you don't like it you can return it within a month.

Sorry, 540 € is not what I spend on a mere app, especially with a dongle. For that amount I buy myself tangible stuff, like another guitar. Or more pedals/modules/synths, which work on their own.
They do not work on their own, they only work when plugged together.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
C
C
Vsl steinway or bosendorfer if you had to choose

Sanchez
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CoogerTown

That's a tough call -- I'd choose the Steinway personally because I feel it's easier to control. I've played a few bosendorfers in real life and the mid to lower range notes are very hard to control and get the sound I want. smile

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by David Lai
Originally Posted by CoogerTown

That's a tough call -- I'd choose the Steinway personally because I feel it's easier to control. I've played a few bosendorfers in real life and the mid to lower range notes are very hard to control and get the sound I want. smile

At the moment I feel the opposite. Both top notch but the Bösendorfer wins the battle. But that might have to do something with the fact that my d-274 is the light version with about half the velocity layers, and the bösendorfer demo is the full version.

A
A
Best upright: VSL Bosendorfer Upright. And I hope their next piano library will be recorded in the same (smaller) room.

Last edited by Alex C; 09/27/20 11:12 AM.
C
C
I have 6 10 bosendorfer grand so maybe go steinway or imperial idk

Sanchez
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
The condenser mic of VSL D-274 is super bright. Currently I use Tube mic for VSL D-274, and the combination of Tube and Condenser for Bosendorfer. It seems like a balance for me.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
The condenser mic of VSL D-274 is super bright. Currently I use Tube mic for VSL D-274, and the combination of Tube and Condenser for Bosendorfer. It seems like a balance for me.

Great mic choices! smile

I've tested Kontakt C Bechstein Digital Grand from your list. But Ravenscroft 275 and Keyscape is my favourites. The reason (in my opinion) seems to be that the release sample is not set correctly in many Kontakt piano libraries. The notes are not short enough for me in staccatos. This gives great naturalness.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ludolf2938
I've tested Kontakt C Bechstein Digital Grand from your list. But Ravenscroft 275 and Keyscape is my favourites. The reason (in my opinion) seems to be that the release sample is not set correctly in many Kontakt piano libraries. The notes are not short enough for me in staccatos. This gives great naturalness.

You are right that Kontakt piano libraries don't perform well in short notes and places where quick releases are needed. I personally think that all pianos function well except those on Kontakt. smile

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I use 2 Kontakt libraries and I think release on both pianos are a bit too short. Embertone Walker 1955 and Soniccouture Hammersmith. Btw the latter is my current favorite - bright, vivid sound with beautiful resonances. Also it's so well optimized - on my few years old Elitebook I can run it with sample buffer 64 and 48kHz sample rate, reaching ~250 voices with not a single crack. Embertone starts to crack around 150 voices with sample buffer 128.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Baldwin- Here is an in depth review of Wholesounds Baldwin R and the new Baldwin L.

https://youtu.be/8wBeO1wwA50

Kawai NV10
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission