2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (anotherscott, ambrozy, c++, chopinetto, brdwyguy, Beowulf, Carey, chrisb42, Bruce In Philly, 6 invisible), 573 guests, and 568 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Craigslist - Too Good to be True ? . ? . ? .
UnrightTooner #3025419 09/15/20 03:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
From 1966, eh?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
UnrightTooner #3025579 09/16/20 09:47 AM
R
R
And right on queue and as predicted, here come the other photos that the scammer pulled from the newly listed piano in Texas.

Text message from the Scammer playing the role of the bereaved owner:
I sent you extra pictures of the piano, the piano is currently on route to Miami and it should be there by tomorrow noon

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/webxl3zjgn3s9ts/image%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0[/img]
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp0juzgxjkvx4a0/image%20%282%29.jpg?dl=0[/img]
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mez539tdr6kfwj/image%20%283%29.jpg?dl=0[/img]
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/k69k846p6ayqgtb/image%20%284%29.jpg?dl=0[/img]
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts7g9ioztrtu93s/media0.jpg?dl=0[/img]

UnrightTooner #3025586 09/16/20 10:02 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Sorry to hijack your scam thread again: but a real estate scam for you. When my current home was for sale, a scammer pulled the pictures from the real estate sales listing, and posted the house for rent on CL.

Sadly, a couple paid all the standard deposits and had their mail forwarded before they found out the listing was a scam. 😾

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
UnrightTooner #3025644 09/16/20 12:37 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You should tell him you are close friends with someone in Miami who can go look and inspect the piano tomorrow when it arrives.
...and they happen to either be a piano technician or a police officer.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Mickey_ #3025728 09/16/20 04:06 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mickey_
Originally Posted by dogperson
ReMARK
Keep it going 😊. The way I look at scammers,, the longer they can be distracted by one single person, the less time they have to scam someone else.

Oh, yes! I like doing that as well: keeping scammers busy.

Ever heard of James Veitch? That guy takes this project to a whole new level! :-)

Brilliant!

August Förster 215
reMARKable #3026144 09/17/20 06:51 PM
R
R
I also fell for this trick. He used the same exact story and details. He advertised for a Kawai baby grand piano.
He told him in quotes ¨Hi, the piano is still available and used to be owned and played by my wife who is now deceased and the piano was last tuned early April last year before she passed. Im currently moving to South Beach, Miami and I don't think my wife will be happy if I sell off his piano, at the same time Im not happy seeing it around and do not wish to move it here because of less storage. So I'm hoping to give this out to someone around.(This is exactly what he texted me)
I responded by texting him that I had needed a piano for my blind son, who loves to play the piano(which is entirely true, but I've never been able to afford one) He then texted me to make sure that I take care of it and the moving agency number and email, which I still cannot find. I want to make sure this dosn´t happen to anyone else so he went by the name of Mark Harris and the phone number was 423-403-1713. He responded by charging me $420 and told me he would pay the $120 from it. He told me that he would speak with the head of the moving company for me and even gave me the fake moving company email: Promoversks@usa.com and mobile number:785-203-9652 which upon calling for questions sent me an message to contact them through my email. If it wasn´t for this group, I would have actually sent it, Thank you.

Last edited by rosejoy; 09/17/20 06:59 PM.
UnrightTooner #3026329 09/18/20 09:47 AM
Once you are done playing with the spammers, be sure to flag their post in Craigslist.

BTW, my moving company wouldn't deliver to a different address stated on the original agreement, unless proper documentation was shown. They won't re-route haphazardly.

Rosejoy I am glad you found the post and avoided getting spammed.

UnrightTooner #3028571 09/24/20 11:55 AM
R
R
Response from the Scammer functioning as the role of the "moving company" to coordinate the cost and method of payment.

Welcome to Proton Moving Company Customer Service Center and Payment Unit. We hope to give you the best goods delivery services.

The delivery charges to get the Piano delivered to your address in John's Creek, Ga 30022 is $360.00 USD. Delivery process will commence immediately the delivery charges has been remitted to us, and then after a delivery crew will be assigned to proceed with delivery to your address. An upfront payment of $180.00 USD (50%) is required for safety and security reasons and should be sent to our Company Agent in charge through CashApp or Zelle. Once payment is made, you are required to get back to us with a copy of the Receipt/screenshot for confirmtion. Delivery will commence immediately without delay, and the other $180.00 USD will be paid at delivery point.

Please Note: Payment should be made through CASHAPP or ZELLE. Kindly choose your preferred choice of payment and get back to us for details. Once the delivery charges is received and confirmed, your tracking number and the E.T.D (Estimated Time Of Delivery) of your Package will be forwarded to you. Thank you

George Bloom
Proton Director of Delivery

A few observations:
* Good news. The Scammer price has dropped some over the past year. Now only $180, since they won't ever collect an the other $180 upon delivery.
* The Scammer has shifted to using Cashapp or Zelle instead of Western Union.

UnrightTooner #3028573 09/24/20 11:58 AM
R
R
Outbound email communication from me to the scammer who is posing as the moving company:

Hello George,

Your email went to my junk folder.

To use Zelle, I need a preferred email address or mobile number of the recipient.

Regards,

Mark

UnrightTooner #3028580 09/24/20 12:15 PM
R
R
Email from Scammer posing as the "moving company".

We received your email regarding the Delivery charges to be sent via Zelle. Below is the agent information needed to make the payment through. Once we confirm the delivery charges has been remitted to us, we will proceed with the delivery process and send you the E.T.D (expected time of delivery) and all necessary information for proper follow up of your delivery. Thank you

Zelle Information For Delivery Charges to be remitted;

Name: Cassandra M Grove
Email: cmgrove32807@comcast.net

Please, Get back to us with the screenshot/receipt of the payment for approval so this can be attached with your delivery documents and after then we can get back to you with the delivery details on when your package will be delivered. Thank you

George Bloom

Observations: the cmgrove32807@comcast.net is a burner or one time use email address. Likely untraceable.

UnrightTooner #3028900 09/25/20 10:16 AM
R
R
My email message to the Scammer who is playing the role of the Moving Company.

Hello George,

I am sure that you can understand the reasons for my request that you provide more information as to the legitimacy of your company before using Zelle.

Scammer response below:

We assure you that this is totally legitimate as there has been total transparency through the process of this transaction. The properties of Mr Micheal Petterson has been delivered and we are awaiting confirmation from you so we can proceed with the DELIVERY to your address. We await your response. Thank you.

George Bloom

Should we see what the scammer's response is if I suggest I use "my own" moving company?
Oddly enough, I will actually be in Florida this weekend. Perhaps we see what the response is if I propose I pick up the piano myself?

UnrightTooner #3028901 09/25/20 10:23 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
ReMARK
Yes!!! Volunteer to pick up the piano yourself so that you can also do a brief inspection
Love this! 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
rosejoy #3029835 09/28/20 08:39 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rosejoy
I also fell for this trick. He used the same exact story and details. He advertised for a Kawai baby grand piano.
He told him in quotes ¨Hi, the piano is still available and used to be owned and played by my wife who is now deceased and the piano was last tuned early April last year before she passed. Im currently moving to South Beach, Miami and I don't think my wife will be happy if I sell off his piano, at the same time Im not happy seeing it around and do not wish to move it here because of less storage. So I'm hoping to give this out to someone around.(This is exactly what he texted me)
I responded by texting him that I had needed a piano for my blind son, who loves to play the piano(which is entirely true, but I've never been able to afford one) He then texted me to make sure that I take care of it and the moving agency number and email, which I still cannot find. I want to make sure this dosn´t happen to anyone else so he went by the name of Mark Harris and the phone number was 423-403-1713. He responded by charging me $420 and told me he would pay the $120 from it. He told me that he would speak with the head of the moving company for me and even gave me the fake moving company email: Promoversks@usa.com and mobile number:785-203-9652 which upon calling for questions sent me an message to contact them through my email. If it wasn´t for this group, I would have actually sent it, Thank you.

I'm delighted you were spared the theft of your money!

I'm sure you'll find a nice affordable piano for your son. Yes, such pianos do exist. It's a shame that you sometimes have to deal with this minefield to get one.

UnrightTooner #3029989 09/28/20 04:01 PM
R
R
Here is another Craigs List Piano Scam. Wonder if these are both coming from the same Scammer?

I was able to do a reverse image search and found the piano the scammers are referencing on other sites.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn3j8wolq45sl5v/Scam%202.png?dl=0[/img]

Here is the text they are using on this one:
just early this year, i lost my grandpa, he was a gentle soul and always give to the needy. after his death, i was lucky enough to inherit his Yamaha grand piano, he was always good with the piano, plays it every Sunday but i would love to give the piano out to anyone ready to give it a sanctuary, i recently moved into my apartment and i'm a bit short of space, i don't really have anywhere safe to keep the piano and i really don't know how to play it, as much as i would love to sell it, i'm sure my grandfather would prefer me giving it out. so i will gladly give it to anyone interested in it. thanks .

UnrightTooner #3029991 09/28/20 04:08 PM
R
R
And another:

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3h8lqv6g5oyml0/Scam%203.png?dl=0[/img]

Scammer Text:

This piano is owned by my late grandmother I'm giving it out for free as she wishes. The sound is bright and clear, with a wonderful tone and responsive action that makes any type of music fun to play. All the keys and pedals work great and the piano was tuned recently. I've provided plenty of pics to show the condition. I recently got a new place, i do not have enough space in my new house for the piano. I need it gone as soon as possible. If you can see this posting that means the piano is still available. Send me an email, i will reply as soon as i can.

UnrightTooner #3030014 09/28/20 05:11 PM
R
R
Humm - Clear case nationwide that Grandmothers who play on Kawai GS60 are taking life into their own hands? Shear geriatric negligence to put your loved ones in the predicament of getting rid of your beloved piano. It is overwhelming Craigslist!

Syracuse NY: [img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3h8lqv6g5oyml0/Scam%203.png?dl=0[/img]
Cincinnati OH: [img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nydoymbzpzik6r/Scam%205.png?dl=0[/img]
Westchester NY: [img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvcv1bkkjivgqwq/Scam%209.png?dl=0[/img]

Text from the Scammer
This grand piano is owned by my late grandmother I'm giving it out for free as she wishes. The sound is bright and clear, with a wonderful tone and responsive action that makes any type of music fun to play. All the keys and pedals works perfect and the piano was tuned recently. I've provided plenty of pics to show the condition. I recently got a new place, i do not have enough space in my new house for the piano. I need it gone as soon as possible. If you can see this posting that means the piano is still available. Send me an email, i will reply as soon as i can.

UnrightTooner #3030016 09/28/20 05:15 PM
R
R
Well, business must be booming! Maybe it is a Covid thing!

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak37oay1x1x6y9j/Scam%208.png?dl=0[/img]

Scammer Text:
I am Giving out this baby grand Piano to whoever wishes to have it, it belongs to my late wife and seeing it everyday bring back sad memories so text my number if you want the Piano

UnrightTooner #3030019 09/28/20 05:20 PM
R
R
So much Death and free Pianos, it is Macabre!

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/jefi5oakv0bnv4v/Scam%2010.png?dl=0[/img]

Scammer Text:
A Hallet Davis & Co baby grand piano with seat and leg and its in Perfect condition. I'm giving it out for free to honor the memory of my late wife, and also due to less space in my new abode as I will be moving to California in a couple of days. If you're interested and passionate about this piece of musical equipment, please leave your number or any form of contact details to aid easy communication.

UnrightTooner #3030044 09/28/20 06:31 PM
E
Online Content
E
Glad the Hallet Davis has a leg, if only one.
They're even in rural Indiana!: https://richmondin.craigslist.org/zip/d/connersville-schimmel-baby-grand-free/7198342952.html
"The Gorgeous baby grand Piano is barely 2 years, works perfect, no scratch, no dent, comes with bench
Shinning black color, looks like it was bought"
As opposed to stolen or inherited, I suppose. The piano is white in the photo. Maybe "shinning" means "not"?

UnrightTooner #3030189 09/29/20 08:39 AM
R
R
Here is an update on the realtime piano scam:
Text message to the person playing the role of the piano owner:
Hello Micheal. I am actually going to be in Florida. Can I come by and take a look at the piano.

Text Message from the Scammer:
The piano is in possession of the moving company. I do not have space for it, the moving company has it in storage till someone gets it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,643
Members100,187
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission