2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
64 members (Banater, bobrunyan, Calavera, cmb13, ChrisGoesPiano, clothearednincompo, Bill McKaig,RPT, 18 invisible), 498 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Does a Korg T1 have value today
#3030000 09/28/20 04:41 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I have the chance to acquire a Korg T1 at a reasonable price, less then half of what they usually go for on ebay. I am looking for advice. Is there anything special about them to recommend in 2020? I would connect it as a Midi > DAW (Reaper - pc laptop) > Roland Keyboard Amp.

So I want a weighted 88 key electronic keyboard. I am somewhere in the middle to advanced beginner stage(mid life return to keyboard). I am slogging through learning the scales. I am working on sight reading. I want to make my own video scores, entertain myself etc. so nothing public etc.

Am I better off waiting and buying a Roland RD 800 or a Casio Previa S3000 or PX-5s, or a Yamaha S90, or something else?

Thank you

Currently have a Casio CTX-700 and a nightmare upright piano restoration(enormous number of potential adjustment...).

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Does a Korg T1 have value today
Loves2TickleIvory #3030009 09/28/20 05:01 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I would select one of the popular modern slabs if you want to practice classical or jazz music.

Loves2TickleIvory #3030023 09/28/20 05:28 PM
D
D
I think the value in a T1 is for someone with a historic/emotional attachment as a collector. If you're buying for the weighted controller, you're buying a workstation with yesterdays sounds/technology, when you'll be using Reaper anyway, which is far in advance of the limited monochrome display of the T1.....and the keybed which probably has had a lot of use. So it seems a bit of a waste to buy it and only use it as an external controller. Though the T1 was amazing for it's day, (I lusted for one something terribly...but moved on), as was the M1, it is to me something to own now as a conversation piece smile

If I had bought one way back, I'd probably be keeping it for my historic attachment to it.

I think a current slab controller would be a better investment. You would have USB connection, rather than having to use a MIDI DIN usb dongle too.

Just my 2 cents worth smile

The companions I can't live without.........

Kawai GL30 Acoustic Grand. Kawai MP11SE, Korg Kronos 2-88, Montage8
Loves2TickleIvory #3030158 09/29/20 06:24 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Apparently it's from 1989...1990.

And big and heavy.

It might have aftertouch(?)

Your use case sounds like wasting a "classic" instrument if you are only going to use it to output MIDI. Of course if you also play with the internal sounds, then fine.

Those days Korg collaborated with/was owned by Yamaha, so it possibly has a Yamaha action in it, either the "Action Effect" or "Action Effect II". The first one at least didn't even have hammers, but it's more or less piano like. And the keys have a faint click sound by design.

Some people like the T1: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2632819/i-saw-a-korg-t1-tonight.html

I don't actually really know anything about it.

Loves2TickleIvory #3030423 09/29/20 10:09 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Loves2TickleIvory
I have the chance to acquire a Korg T1 at a reasonable price, less then half of what they usually go for on ebay. I am looking for advice. Is there anything special about them to recommend in 2020? I would connect it as a Midi > DAW (Reaper - pc laptop) > Roland Keyboard Amp.

So I want a weighted 88 key electronic keyboard. I am somewhere in the middle to advanced beginner stage(mid life return to keyboard). I am slogging through learning the scales. I am working on sight reading. I want to make my own video scores, entertain myself etc. so nothing public etc.

Am I better off waiting and buying a Roland RD 800 or a Casio Previa S3000 or PX-5s, or a Yamaha S90, or something else?

Thank you

Currently have a Casio CTX-700 and a nightmare upright piano restoration(enormous number of potential adjustment...).

Generally speaking these old synths aren't worth your money unless you want the onboard sounds. Since T1 and M1 share almost the same core sounds and M1 comes in a rack version, I'd say no it isn't worth it.

If I'm in the market for a 80's synth, I'd buy the rack version. They have zillions of issues. At least the rack has less parts to deal wtih.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experiences with Tonebase?
by ClsscLib - 11/25/20 12:29 PM
What note combination or chords are these
by Jack Gately - 11/25/20 08:10 AM
playing problem
by alecras234 - 11/25/20 07:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,037
Posts3,027,002
Members99,370
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission