2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (1957, 8ude, chaplincap, AndrewJCW, Bett, ambrozy, ChadUK, AWilley, Beowulf, 12 invisible), 573 guests, and 550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Considering an inexpensive baby grand
ShiroKuro #3029474 09/27/20 06:07 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Re a digital... for $1500-2000 you can get a pretty nice digital (new)... Are there any Guitar Centers, or maybe Costco?? in your area where you could go and try one?
Almost every piano dealership also sells digitals these days.

c++ #3029475 09/27/20 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by c++
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For $1500 I think you should consider a good digital piano.

I had not really thought about that before. My only experience with a digital piano is a low-end one that doesn't even have 88 keys, but there are certainly better ones. I have a feeling that I would miss the sound that is made by a hammer striking a string.
That depends on how pleasant that sound is.

pianoloverus #3029478 09/27/20 06:30 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Re a digital... for $1500-2000 you can get a pretty nice digital (new)... Are there any Guitar Centers, or maybe Costco?? in your area where you could go and try one?

I think that depends in large part on the area. When I was piano shopping, none of the (five) dealers I visited had digitals in the $2000 and under price range, they only had more expensive models. They seemed to only have more high end models. That’s why I suggested Guitar Center, they will more likely have a range of options in the $1000-2000 price range. And I think Costco often does but I’m not really sure. Places like Best Buy OTOH seem to only have (non weighted) keyboards.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3029486 09/27/20 07:25 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member

I think that depends in large part on the area. When I was piano shopping, none of the (five) dealers I visited had digitals in the $2000 and under price range, they only had more expensive models. They seemed to only have more high end models. That’s why I suggested Guitar Center, they will more likely have a range of options in the $1000-2000 price range. And I think Costco often does but I’m not really sure. Places like Best Buy OTOH seem to only have (non weighted) keyboards.

Nope, every piano dealership doesn’t sell digitals..... nor at all price points or brands, indeed, it does does depend on where you live.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
ShiroKuro #3029496 09/27/20 08:01 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think that depends in large part on the area. When I was piano shopping, none of the (five) dealers I visited had digitals in the $2000 and under price range, they only had more expensive models. They seemed to only have more high end models.

I had the same experience in our area, the Kawai dealer where I bought my acoustic had all the cabinet model high end Kawais and the Roland digitals in grand cabinets, but no slabs. If you're lucky enough to live near a place like Sweetwater, they have a pretty good display setup and will take a slab out of stock and set it up for you if you want to try one. The problem now is it seems like some models are in very short supply.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
c++ #3029534 09/27/20 09:56 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The problem now is it seems like some models are in very short supply.

Oh yeah, I read something about that (lots of people buying digital pianos because of covid)

Also I forgot about Sweetwater, good suggestion!

In any case, to to the OP, keep us posted!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
c++ #3029540 09/27/20 10:17 AM
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Again, thank you all for your comments and information. I'll keep you posted, and I'll probably have more questions, too. I've decided to pass on the 1975 Kimball, without seeing it or hearing it. I was informed that it needs some TLC, and I don't really want to start with a project piano. Also, they want to get rid of it within just a few days, and I hate to rush into things. If it had been a bit closer to home, I would at least have gone to look at it, but it was a longer trip than I wanted to make, considering the dubious state of the piano.

Last edited by c++; 09/27/20 10:19 AM. Reason: better grammar?
WBLynch #3029551 09/27/20 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I have a friend who decided he wanted a piano and a couple of years ago, knowing nothing about them, ended up finding a Chickering 1925 grand, about 6’ for $800 delivered and tuned. I tuned it for him last June and was surprised at how nice it is. It has a very nice tone. In my opinion it needs hammers and a regulation but he plays it and is very happy.

So there are great deals out there. I think the key is patience. The piano will find you.

I agree, a fairly decent baby grand piano can be had for not a lot of money, but you have to know what to look for, and be somewhat educated about acoustic pianos. Also, the woods are not full of them, but they are out there. That is why you have to look hard and be patient. If you want a piano now, the digital is likely the best way to go. Even if you buy a relatively inexpensive, weighted 88 key digital, you can still be on the lookout for a decent grand at a price you can afford.

I got my acoustic piano education the hard way, from the piano school of hard knocks, and past mistakes. But I learned nonetheless. smile

In your situation, before I went out and bought a $1000 digital piano, (and a pretty nice one can be had for $1000 or less), I'd be inclined to learn a bit more about acoustic pianos, if that is what you really want.

Fact is, although there are lots of opinions here on digital pianos, there is a huge difference in the tone, and usually the touch, between a digital and an acoustic. I too have a decent digital, that I play often, but it always has that "electronic tone". I much prefer my acoustic pianos, as a general rule.

Also, if you buy a "fixer upper" acoustic piano, you will either have to learn to tune it and work on it yourself, or hire a professional piano tech. Most good piano technicians charge roughly $100 an hour, possibly more. On the other hand, they can get a lot done in an hour. Just some things to consider.

Also, and this is just my opinion, a new/newer grand piano can cost upwards of $30,000, depending on the brand. With that in mind, if you can find a decent, tunable, playable grand piano for $3,000 or less, you are doing very well. If you can find one for less than that, you are doing very well.

So, to recap, educate yourself, as much as possible, and search your heart and mind to decide what you really want. Play as many different pianos as you can, both acoustic and digital. And, have a plan A, a plan B and a plan C. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
c++ #3029571 09/27/20 11:35 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I played an 150cm Otto Meister recently at a dealer.

I never heard of the brand, and I don't know anything about the build quality, but i thought it was a very nice small grand to play. Good sound and good action. They are asking €6000 for it new as a "showroom model". It was a Korean brand according to the dealer.

Maybe if you could find something like this at say 5 to 20 years old, it could have a friendly pricetag.

c++ #3030003 09/28/20 04:52 PM
E
E
Instead of a baby grand, why not go for a 5'8" or 6'-range parlor grand? They sound much better. There aren't as many of them (at one time 90% of new grands were baby grands) but they will be in better shape.

edferris #3030049 09/28/20 06:48 PM
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by edferris
Instead of a baby grand, why not go for a 5'8" or 6'-range parlor grand? They sound much better. There aren't as many of them (at one time 90% of new grands were baby grands) but they will be in better shape.

I would consider that, though I don't believe I've seen one yet in my search.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,651
Members100,189
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission