2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
It's not a big deal really, but the black matte keys on my piano feel just better to the touch. I wonder if anyone has done this before to share their experience? Will it be risky? Is it worth it?

P.S I did a quick search on the forum and there wasn't such a thread.

Last edited by meghdad; 09/28/20 08:56 AM.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
N
N
It's unlikely to be reasonably possible since the finishes are likely some kind of resin or plastic that's applied with an industrial process. The finish is likely a bi-product of the chemicals used and application parameters -- as opposed to something that can be buffed on or off.

Think about how car paint is done in the factory; they don't use spray paint and then polish some gloss on. Rather, they use a specialized paint that's applied using electrified anodes/cathodes in order to get a smooth layer on. Unless you have the equipment to do that, you can't really replicate the finish on a car. Similarly, it's unlikely that you could replicate the matte finish of the black keys on the white keys without stripping off the coating and reapplying a new coating.

F
F
If it really bothers you, you can try to just use some sand paper.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Getting good adhesion, good finish, and good durability on the plastics will be difficult for DIY.

I heard of a guy in a marching band in that was poisoned by his DIY painted drumsticks. The doctors speculated that the skin of his hands was absorbing the finish. So there is the health and safety to consider.

Sanding risks putting dust into the action and sensors. Sanding away the factory coatings, the keys may be subject to faster deterioration from exposure to light, sweat, air, and impact.

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
I see.

However it wouldn't matter much if the finish would end up to be subpar to the black keys' or just kinda poor in comparison. If I could somehow make it less glossy feeling without damaging the keys and myself (using gloves), that's be cool.
Actually, I was thinking of simple old-school re-painting of the keys, but that seems to be an unreasonable approach now.

I'll continue researching and asking around and post any findings and the result here.

Edit- Well it turns out there WAS another thread /facepalm
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2787098/making-glossy-keys-matte.html

Last edited by meghdad; 09/28/20 10:52 AM.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
You have a DP? (I ask because on acoustics, the blacks are often wood and the whites are plastic)

I think the finish of the whites differs per brand. but yes usually it's slick plastic

I don't think you can paint this plastic well, it's difficult to paint it nicely and also it may not stick well.

The sanding sounds the best idea. Make sure you take out the keys for the sanding to get between the blacks and to avoid the plastic getting into your piano. And use a mask. And do some ttests on something else to learn how to get it nice matte without scratches.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
D
If you HAVE TO experiment, order a replacement key (usually $10-$20 each) and sand/paint. If you're satisfied with your handy work, take each of the 52 white key off and do the EXACT same thing to them.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@dj: Good idea. Try it first on an expendable key.

@meghdad: What kind of piano do you own? It's easy to get replacement keys for a Yamaha. But not so for a Kawai.

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
It's a Korg C1, and I leave in a country where replacement keys are unlikely to be available readily. I don't think it's worth the effort at this point, too much hassle and risk for a little grip on the keys which is not really a problem if I adapt my mind and feeling which is possible. It looks like a nitpick at this point.

Thanks everyone though!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I suggest that you do not do anything that you cannot undo if it is not successful.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by meghdad
It's not a big deal really, but the black matte keys on my piano feel just better to the touch. I wonder if anyone has done this before to share their experience? Will it be risky? Is it worth it?

P.S I did a quick search on the forum and there wasn't such a thread.

You can't paint it. Your best bet is to use some chemicals that react with plastic and change the surface. The problem is:
1- You don't know how the chemicals with react and how the finished will turn out.
2- Most likely you won't be able to consistently repeat the same experiment on each key and it will turn into ugly patchwork.

Unless you're itching for some trouble that you can't fix it, I'd say get along with whatyou have already. When you try the new finish, you will most likely appreciate how good the previous finish was...

R
R
lol this thread makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried to plasti-dip their piano keys.... whistle

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It's possible to do this if you buy a CNC laser, Or if you buy a wood burning laser, they're like $50-200 for a cheap one, and attach it to something like a 3dprinter. the software/ working is 1:1, it'd be trivial to program.

The only hard part is you might need to get a lens, or some sort of laser mask they use for very fine textures.

The laser is pulsed to make structured melts to the surface of the plastic.

For example some fake plastic leather uses a process similar to this to achieve the texture.

An easier way would be very fine sand blasting. , you'd tape up the sides to keep them smooth, and just lightly blast the top.

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/28/20 04:46 PM.
I tried it on my digital piano long ago because it was old. yes, it brought comfort to strike. I made this process manually with fine sandpaper. Of course I removed all the keys. I read this on the web.

Last edited by ludolf2938; 09/28/20 05:12 PM.
F
F
It's funny how some of you overthink things with getting into chemicals and lasers grin Just don't say that you're serious... wink

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It's also a good idea to apply an anti uv coating to the plastic after you sand.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jeffcat
It's possible to do this if you buy a CNC laser, Or if you buy a wood burning laser, they're like $50-200 for a cheap one, and attach it to something like a 3dprinter. the software/ working is 1:1, it'd be trivial to program.

The only hard part is you might need to get a lens, or some sort of laser mask they use for very fine textures.

The laser is pulsed to make structured melts to the surface of the plastic.

For example some fake plastic leather uses a process similar to this to achieve the texture.

An easier way would be very fine sand blasting. , you'd tape up the sides to keep them smooth, and just lightly blast the top.

How about if he 3D prints the entire keys? LOL

Measures vary. What you define as good will be considered as ugly by many others. I guarantee! You need to experiment many times to make sure the CNC is not going to ruin the keys. Even with CNC, if it is your first time you must adjust things and things may go wrong really bad.

Don't do it. Forget it! Save your money and get a better piano. Unless you want to completely dedicate your DP to test this thing...

Last edited by Abdol; 09/28/20 09:12 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Well, my DP has the shiny almost glossy plastic keys, and I prefer that to the satin 'ivory' type finishes you find on some DP's and acoustics including my teachers grand. I had that once on a Kawai CN33 and the middle keys wore smooth! Strangely I don't find the shiny surface slippery at all but just right for both non slipperiness and deliberate slide. crazy

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Maybe some day nanotechnology allows adjustable key surface roughness.

Then we can argue about the optimal amount and keep tweaking it all the time ourselves.

😉

N
Nip Offline
N
When I discovered the feel of ivory imitation on my CLP-535 I had, I looked for nothing but that kind of keys getting next piano.

Kawai has them, and Nord Grand using kawai keys also have them.

The ivory touch is fingers just glide nicely, not sticky thing about them.

So go for a piano with keys you like is my tip. smile

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission