2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (Beemer, Abdol, Blague, BachToTheFuture, 1906Weber, 1957, Beowulf, Badger1966, 17 invisible), 493 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Grade 8 pieces
#3029800 09/28/20 07:09 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hi all,
I’m an adult who returned to piano lessons after learning some piano as a child.
I have been able to advance nicely since I started playing again, but I still practice mostly at evenings when I’m already (mentally) tired.
I usually take lessons with a teacher every 2-3 weeks (not during COVID19...).
I’m currently learning pieces that are ABRSM grade 8. My previous pieces were mostly around grade 7.

How much on average do you estimate it should take to learn a grade 8 piece ?

Of course it depends on the talent and hours of practice etc. and I also feel that some grade 8 pieces are significantly difficult than others.
Last thing - I’m not going to actually take the test , just play for fun, but my teacher is quite detailed oriented so we try to polish pieces before we declare them as “learnt”.

So under those conditions , is it reasonable to learn a grade 8 piece in 2-3 months (4 lessons)?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Grade 8 pieces
ZigZagStory #3029802 09/28/20 07:23 AM
The most difficult piece I have learned in the last year is Schubert's Impromptu nos.4 in Aflat, D899. I don't know if this would be classed as grade 8 or perhaps above. It took at least six months and I needed many more lessons than 4. In the past I have learned part of the final movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata and this took about three months. I am currently learning Tchaikovski's October and this is now well developed after three weeks. It is reasonable to think that 2-3 months is sufficient time but I would need more lessons to work through the musicality of each piece.

ZigZagStory #3029804 09/28/20 07:33 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2-3 months is reasonable. But there are so many variables(time practicing the piece daily, skill of the pianist, length of the piece, skill of the teacher, range in difficulty of pieces in the same level, when a piece is "finished") that answering questions like this is difficult. Are you asking because you think you spend too much time or for some other reason?

ZigZagStory #3029805 09/28/20 07:34 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by ZigZagStory
So under those conditions , is it reasonable to learn a grade 8 piece in 2-3 months (4 lessons)?
Yes - depending on how long the piece is and how much of your practise time you're spending on it, as well as your actual level at present.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
ZigZagStory #3029807 09/28/20 07:48 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for the answers. The reason I’m asking is to understand if I’m talking a reasonable selection and have reasonable expectations from myself.
My teacher is an amazing pianist but without much experience in teaching. I like the lessons a lot and I think I learn a lot from my teacher. But without teaching experience it may be harder to decide on which pieces to focus on.
Actually I’m usually the one who suggest pieces I like to study and my teacher will tell me if they are too challenging or not for now.

ZigZagStory #3029826 09/28/20 09:03 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The pieces you should study are the ones that help you develop your weak points. It is not really a question of being challenging, of course you dont want to pick too easy or way too difficult ones, but whether they are usefull. It is good also to vary styles and tempo.

Sidokar #3029839 09/28/20 09:49 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for the comment, of course we discuss potential pieces together . But there is a huge selection and I believe that if one has a connection to the piece , he will probably practice more (more effectively?) and will achieve his goals faster.
We do try to vary styles and tempos of course.

I think that until now every piece I learnt helped me develop a different aspect (technique, “musicality” , touch etc). And if something is easy there is always another aspect in the piece that I can improve. At this level there are still a lot of weak points to improve.

ZigZagStory #3029894 09/28/20 12:53 PM
P
P

For a returning adult student, with a gap since childhood, I would expect grade 8 pieces to be tough and take quite a few months to complete. How many months, however, depends greatly on how you practice, how much you practice, your current skill level and of course your teacher's guidance and the piece itself. I, myself, can't imagine doing a grade 8 piece with a lesson only every 2-3 weeks or not at all. Getting the notes right is the first challenge but, for me anyway, getting speed & musicality is the greater challenge. And then there's all that stuff that we miss that only a good teacher can point out.

I hope you are not ignoring the wealth of music in lower grades (say, 4-6) - there is so much great music there that can help you develop your skills & technique, interpretation & repertoire. Have you tried any of these pieces - different eras, different techniques, different styles of interpretation -

Mozart Sonata in G Major, K 283 (grade 4/5)
Debussy La Fille aux Cheveaux de Lin, Preludes Book 1, No. 8 (grade 5)
Schumann Arabesque, Op. 18 (grade 6)
Mendelssohn Lieder Ohne Worte, Op. 102, No. 4 (grade 6)
Bach Prelude #6 in D minor, WTC Book #1, BWV 851 (grade 7)

Last edited by Pianosearcher; 09/28/20 12:59 PM.
ZigZagStory #3029905 09/28/20 01:23 PM
B
B
From a previous post, here are some common pieces as officially graded (ABRSM) for state school exams in the UK (here, years = grades):

Bach: Little Prelude in D minor, BWV 940 - 5 years
Bach: WTC, Bk.1: Prelude in C - 5 years
Beethoven: Für Elise - 5 years
Chopin: Prelude in E minor, Op.28/4 - 5 years
Grieg: Arietta & Popular Melody, Op.12/1 & 5 - 5 years
Schumann: Von fremden Ländern und Menschen - 5 years
MacDowell: To a Wild Rose - 5 years
Bach: Two-part Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 - 6 years
CPE Bach: Solfeggietto in C minor - 6 years
Beethoven: 'Moonlight' Sonata (I) - 6 years
Mendelssohn: Songs without Words, Op.19/2, Op.30/3, Op.67/3 - 6 years
Mozart: Sonata in C, K545 (I) - 6 years
Mozart: Fantasia in D minor, K397 - 6 years
Albéniz: Tango Op.165 No.2 - 6 years
Einaudi: I Giorni, Le Onde - 6 years
Beethoven: 'Pathetique' Sonata (II) - 7 years
Chopin: Preludes, Op.28/6 & 15 - 7 years
Mendelssohn: Venetian Gondola Songs, Op.19/6, Op.30/6 - 7 years
Liszt: Consolation No.3 in D flat - 7 years
Satie: Gymnopédie No.1 - 7 years
Ginastera: Danza de la moza donosa - 7 years
Bartók: Merry Andrew (Mikrokosmos, Vol.5) - 7 years
Mozart: Rondo alla turca - 7 years
Joplin: The Entertainer & Magnetic Rag - 7 years
Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag - 8 years
Bach: Goldberg Variations - Aria & Var.1 - 8 years
Debussy: Arabesque No.1 - 8 years
Debussy: Clair de lune - 8 years
Tchaikovsky: The Seasons - January, March, June, October - 8 years

BTW, Schumann's Arabeske is at least Grade 8 ABRSM (Grade 10 RCM).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Pianosearcher #3029960 09/28/20 03:56 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thank you.
I do try to balance my repertoire with grades as you suggested (I understand the reasoning for taking 1 easy , 1 medium and 1 challenging piece).

Regarding Debussy’s La Fille aux Cheveaux de Lin- I believe it is > grade 5, at least if you want to do it with proper voicing, separate the melody from the other voices and play each one with different touch/sound quality.

ZigZagStory #3029996 09/28/20 05:21 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank you.
I do try to balance my repertoire with grades as you suggested (I understand the reasoning for taking 1 easy , 1 medium and 1 challenging piece).

Regarding Debussy’s La Fille aux Cheveaux de Lin- I believe it is > grade 5, at least if you want to do it with proper voicing, separate the melody from the other voices and play each one with different touch/sound quality.

La fille aux cheveux de lin is rated rcm 9 which is about abrsm 7 or so. It is a difficult piece to play with musicality. The main challenge is to keep it flowing while adding the right amount of rubato so that it sounds natural.

I agree that for playing a piece that you like can be an additional booster. It is no my case but it is prefectly understandable. Anyway there is so much choice that it is not a big issue to find both the right piece and one that you like. Like others have said there is plenty of excellent and interesting music in lower grades as well. So choose wisely !

ZigZagStory #3030006 09/28/20 05:58 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think you have got some great advice. I found that if you wish to pick a hard piece then it can help to pick a short piece. Some etudes, for example, though hard are only 2 minutes long and could be learnt in a short time and can be great to learn certain skills.

I think having very infrequent lessons may make it longer to learn the piece so it may be quicker if you had weekly lessons sometimes. I think its better to stick at pieces until they are ready now so I think 3 months is fine and a few occasions may need longer. It is a problem however if the piece is so hard and you the same after such a long time.

I had a long time without lessons during covid and found could teach myself easier pieces but grade 8 not so much. I had a go before I returned to lessons and learnt a few wrong notes and we have to change fingerings so it may be wise not to self learn hard music if you are out of lessons.

It is very interesting that someone found Schubert A flat impromptu so hard. I would have thought from the score that the last movement of Moonlight Sonata would be much more complex but very interesting was learnt in half the time. I struggled epically with Schubert G flat impromptu and it was the longest I have ever spent on a piece. It is very long and it seems like 6 months !

Last edited by Moo :); 09/28/20 06:02 PM.
bennevis #3030076 09/28/20 09:45 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
From a previous post, here are some common pieces as officially graded (ABRSM) for state school exams in the UK (here, years = grades):

Bach: Little Prelude in D minor, BWV 940 - 5 years
Bach: WTC, Bk.1: Prelude in C - 5 years
Beethoven: Für Elise - 5 years
Chopin: Prelude in E minor, Op.28/4 - 5 years
Grieg: Arietta & Popular Melody, Op.12/1 & 5 - 5 years
Schumann: Von fremden Ländern und Menschen - 5 years
MacDowell: To a Wild Rose - 5 years
Bach: Two-part Invention No.13 in A minor, BWV 784 - 6 years
CPE Bach: Solfeggietto in C minor - 6 years
Beethoven: 'Moonlight' Sonata (I) - 6 years
Mendelssohn: Songs without Words, Op.19/2, Op.30/3, Op.67/3 - 6 years
Mozart: Sonata in C, K545 (I) - 6 years
Mozart: Fantasia in D minor, K397 - 6 years
Albéniz: Tango Op.165 No.2 - 6 years
Einaudi: I Giorni, Le Onde - 6 years
Beethoven: 'Pathetique' Sonata (II) - 7 years
Chopin: Preludes, Op.28/6 & 15 - 7 years
Mendelssohn: Venetian Gondola Songs, Op.19/6, Op.30/6 - 7 years
Liszt: Consolation No.3 in D flat - 7 years
Satie: Gymnopédie No.1 - 7 years
Ginastera: Danza de la moza donosa - 7 years
Bartók: Merry Andrew (Mikrokosmos, Vol.5) - 7 years
Mozart: Rondo alla turca - 7 years
Joplin: The Entertainer & Magnetic Rag - 7 years
Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag - 8 years
Bach: Goldberg Variations - Aria & Var.1 - 8 years
Debussy: Arabesque No.1 - 8 years
Debussy: Clair de lune - 8 years
Tchaikovsky: The Seasons - January, March, June, October - 8 years

BTW, Schumann's Arabeske is at least Grade 8 ABRSM (Grade 10 RCM).

That’s a nice intermediate level list. Like it! Get through these and you’ll have some seriously beautiful repertoire under your belt.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
ZigZagStory #3030148 09/29/20 06:16 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
I actually worked on a few from this list.
Although I have no plans to take the Abrsm exam I found their lists a nice source of worthy pieces to choose from.

Moo :) #3031086 10/01/20 07:34 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Moo: "I struggled epically with Schubert G flat impromptu and it was the longest I have ever spent on a piece. It is very long and it seems like 6 months !"

Have patience. Some pieces you can continue learning your entire life. I'm totally against the so many pieces in a year club. There is nothing to be upset about for having studied something for 6 months! I've played Chopin's Ballad No 4 in a recital and still continue to learn it but mostly learn from it. It took me a year to be able to play through it and 2 years to become more proficient at it. The least concerning part of studying piano for me is how long it takes to learn a piece because there are so many other important things to pay attention to then how long it takes. As in the past when commenting on your comments, I don't expect a response because I've never received one from you before.

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 10/01/20 07:36 PM.

Bösendorfer 170

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,338
Posts3,015,738
Members98,970
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission