2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
79 members (bwv872, 1957, Badger1966, anotherscott, Blague, 36251, 19 invisible), 493 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Should a DP warranty be taken more seriously?
#3029622 09/27/20 03:54 PM
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I hardly need to tell anyone here that a digital piano's warranty should not be given preference over the touch, tone and price of any particular unit. But I think it's something that should be discussed with a dealer prior to buying, especially if a person lives in an area where a store doesn't sell the piano.

Using myself as an example, my local store (and its chain stores throughout the state) does not sell Kawai, and is not authorized to do warranty repair work. As I've been told, Kawai apparently will furnish repair instructions and parts to the store's repair center, but as I understand it, any repairs made by an unauthorized facility will void the warranty. Or at least that would seem to be the case on paper.

But the out-of-town repair center that I sent my piano to has told me that Kawai is looking into whether or not my six-year-old piano might have any more warranty left, or whether it is very close to being within the warranty expiration date, so that I may not be hit with a large repair bill. Apparently, I was told, Kawai would like to make this repair center an authorized facility for work on Kawai digital pianos.

But the head of the repair department has told me he wouldn't do Kawai warrantied repair work anyway, as the pay through Kawai would be very low. He would make more money by charging the customer for the repair. Of course, as the store chain sells Yamaha DPs only, he would have to honor any Yamaha warranty, but not that of anyone else. Unless, quite naturally, the company accepted Kawai's offer to become an authorized repair facility.

For me personally it's not a big deal. My Kawai DP was warrantied for five years, and I've owned it for well past that time. The repair bill is estimated to be about $400 USD, and I accept that as just the price of doing business. I'll keep my piano for another two years or so, and it should be in fine shape to trade or sell off after that. But what if my piano had been just a year or so old, well within the warranty period?

I would have had no choice but to send it to an authorized Kawai repair center, in order to keep the warranty intact, and that would have meant a total mileage trip of about 520 miles, with all the transportation costs and time that would have entailed. To own a superb mid-level DP like the CA79 (or its successor in a few years) I would have accepted that as the price of doing business, but I'm not sure everyone would feel that way. And so what I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a bad idea, when negotiating for a possible purchase with a company not in your area, to make sure how warranty work would be handled. It would only take a few minutes to save what could be a lot of grief.

Last edited by ADWyatt; 09/27/20 03:54 PM.
Re: Should a DP warranty be taken more seriously?
ADWyatt #3029651 09/27/20 05:13 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
With Yamaha ... the authorized repair center could be your living room.
Obviously that doesn't apply to the low end goods. But the mid- and high-tier pianos get in-home service. Mine did. Twice.

I suppose that if I lived in the remotest badlands of Wyoming there might be no local repair shop.
But in a metropolitan area there are authorized repair shops.

I used Adam's Organ Service in South Florida. He's a one-man shop, trained by Yamaha.
Talented, proficient, honest. I recommend him.

But I could not find a similar shop here in Raleigh. I ended up using a guy who turned out to be goof with no Yamaha training.

Motto: Stick to authorized shops with trained techs.

I wonder what it will be like in Pittsburgh. We might be moving there in two or three months.

ADWyatt #3029714 09/27/20 08:27 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Here in Phoenix, from what I can tell, there's only 1certified trained Yamaha AvantGrant repair tech. I can't say how many techs for other Yamaha models/lines like Clavinova or what-have-you. So warranty tech availability in your local area, especially for non-portable models, should be a big consideration.

I had needed service on my Yamaha AG N3 twice, and it took several weeks of waiting each time before the tech has a spot on the calendar for a house visit. Not because there are so many AGs in Phoenix, but because his main job is actually servicing acoustic pianos.

Last edited by Volusiano; 09/27/20 08:28 PM.
ADWyatt #3029726 09/27/20 09:40 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Some countries like Australia have statutory warranty by law.

What this means is the manufacturer/retailer has no say in warranty duration.

A court or tribunal decides what is an expected lifespan of a product on a product by product basis, based on the value of the item and the type of product.

E.g. a $5,000 piano would be expected to last 10 years, so it doesn't matter if the manufacturer advertises the manufacturer's warranty as 5 years - if it breaks within 10 years they still have to fix or replace it. Obviously this only covers major defects not caused by wear and tear.

(This also explains why retailers selling 'extended warranty' in Australia are often scamming you!)

Last edited by Burkie; 09/27/20 09:50 PM.

Piano is one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
ADWyatt #3029746 09/28/20 12:09 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
As long as they're not using surface mount electrolytics, Most stuff shouldn't break.

It's possible to blow a mosfet, but it's unlikely due to how little power dp uses.

Electrolytics are only good for 5-10 years before they go out of spec. This will certainly be true in the lower models using cheaper capacitors.

Assuming they use quality caps in the high end models, 10-15 years is reasonable before a complete recap is recommended for cautions sake. If you get a leak, and it rots a circuit board, that's way more hassle to fix if replacement parts arn't available down the line.

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/28/20 12:09 AM.
ADWyatt #3029749 09/28/20 12:25 AM
In Singapore, we only get a 1-year warranty for digital pianos from Yamaha. At times, they have promotions for 2 years. I was actually surprised you guys can get half a decade.

Burkey #3029761 09/28/20 01:47 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Burkie

A court or tribunal decides what is an expected lifespan of a product on a product by product basis, based on the value of the item and the type of product.

E.g. a $5,000 piano would be expected to last 10 years, so it doesn't matter if the manufacturer advertises the manufacturer's warranty as 5 years - if it breaks within 10 years they still have to fix or replace it. Obviously this only covers major defects not caused by wear and tear.

I'm surprised Yamaha bother selling that model in Australia . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #3029770 09/28/20 02:47 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by Burkie

I'm surprised Yamaha bother selling that model in Australia . . .
What Yamaha model? The OP mentioned Kawai, and I didn't mention any model?

Like 99.99% of reputable manufacturers, I'm sure that Yamaha make more profit than any warranty claims cost them. In the last 30 years the only company I've made warranty claims for is Microsoft when 50 of their Xbox 360s had CPUs that melted.

Last edited by Burkie; 09/28/20 02:50 AM.

Piano is one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
Beowulf #3029864 09/28/20 11:04 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Beowulf
In Singapore, we only get a 1-year warranty for digital pianos from Yamaha. At times, they have promotions for 2 years. I was actually surprised you guys can get half a decade.
Not everything has a 5 year warranty from Yamaha in the US. I guess it depends on the price point.

The AvantGrand series is 5 year non-transferrable.

The P, CP, YDP, and DGX600 series are only 3 years.

The other portables ((NP, PSRE, PSREW, PSRF, PSRI, PSS, SHS, EZ, DGX230, DGX530, YPG AND YPT SERIES) are only 1 year.

Volusiano #3029867 09/28/20 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Volusiano
Not everything has a 5 year warranty from Yamaha in the US.

The AvantGrand series is 5 year non-transferrable.

The P, CP, YDP, and DGX600 series are only 3 years.

The others ((NP, PSRE, PSREW, PSRF, PSRI, PSS, SHS, EZ, DGX230, DGX530, YPG AND YPT SERIES) are only 1 year.
Ahh.. Still, we get 1 year regardless of the model.

jeffcat #3029928 09/28/20 02:30 PM
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by jeffcat
As long as they're not using surface mount electrolytics, Most stuff shouldn't break.

It's possible to blow a mosfet, but it's unlikely due to how little power dp uses.

Electrolytics are only good for 5-10 years before they go out of spec. This will certainly be true in the lower models using cheaper capacitors.

Assuming they use quality caps in the high end models, 10-15 years is reasonable before a complete recap is recommended for cautions sake. If you get a leak, and it rots a circuit board, that's way more hassle to fix if replacement parts arn't available down the line.

Everything you've written has hit the nail right on the head. That was indeed the problem that my CA65 has suffered from. This certainly doesn't mean that the CA65 is in any way a defective piano; rather, that time and frequent playing have taken their natural toll. Normally the repair price I would be charged would be around $200 (quite inexpensive), but I was told by the technician in charge of repairing the piano that Kawai's GF action is certainly different from Yamaha's, and it would take longer to make sure the job was done right. Whether he was snowballing me or not, I wasn't in a position to argue.

Still, while a digital piano on any level is no equal to something like a $50,000 acoustic grand, I suspect that the cost of repairing an acoustic would not be for the faint-hearted. And considering the size of the room I play in, 13'x13', along with the excellent sampled tones and simulated grand action of today's mid-range DPs, I'm perfectly happy with what digital offers today. That certainly wasn't always the case in the past.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Selling Kawai ES110
by Cutec - 10/21/20 12:26 PM
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,338
Posts3,015,738
Members98,970
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission