2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
79 members (bwv872, 1957, Badger1966, anotherscott, Blague, 36251, 19 invisible), 493 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Help deciding on a tablet for a new Yamaha CLP
#3029101 09/25/20 09:32 PM
G
OP Online Content
G
Do you folks pair a tablet with your compatible Yamaha piano via the Smart Pianist app or use other apps? I checked this thread and it wasn't too helpful, but interesting. I am considering purchasing a tablet to go along with my CLP and I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of an iPad vs an Android (Galaxy Tab S6/7, for example). Ideally, I'd like to use it for Smart Pianist, looking at sheet music, maybe FlowKey, and I would really enjoy having an app that has sheet music with backing tracks like what Yamaha NoteStar used to be (if you know of any such apps, I would be interested to know) Here's a link of what the app did, if I'm being unclear. I'm partial to Android, but would be willing to go with Apple if there's greater utility.

I'm not interested in the software/hardware limitations of either iPad/Galaxy Tab (Android tablets), but rather which one offers the best experience and has the best apps to really get the most out of the CLP.

Thanks!

Re: Help deciding on a tablet for a new Yamaha CLP
GreatShowmanChopin #3029111 09/25/20 10:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Given the choice I would go with an IPad. Apple just has apps first and, IMHO, they seem to run a bit better, at least where Yamaha apps are concerned.

I hope that helps,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Rich Galassini #3029121 09/25/20 11:34 PM
G
OP Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Given the choice I would go with an IPad. Apple just has apps first and, IMHO, they seem to run a bit better, at least where Yamaha apps are concerned.

I hope that helps,

Yeah, Apple seems to get the apps and Android seems to get ports of the Apple apps.

Looking at your signature, are you associated with Cunninham piano that I liked in my NoteStar video? Regardless, do you know if the Hal Leonard app that replaced it features similar functions of that app?

Thanks for your time!

GreatShowmanChopin #3029127 09/26/20 12:51 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by GreatShowmanChopin

I hope that helps,

Yeah, Apple seems to get the apps and Android seems to get ports of the Apple apps.

Looking at your signature, are you associated with Cunninham piano that I liked in my NoteStar video? Regardless, do you know if the Hal Leonard app that replaced it features similar functions of that app?

Thanks for your time!
Yes, Rich is the owner of Cunningham piano! The person in the video is Hugh Sung.

Casio PX-S1000, (on the look out for an acoustic ~5K)
GreatShowmanChopin #3029167 09/26/20 04:40 AM
B
B
I have an iPad Pro 12,9" 2020 (4th gen) and it's amazing since it large and works great for sheet music. Also depending on witch CLP you get you can just connect a USB-B to USB-C cavle straight to the ipad without dongle and it will recognize the iPad for everuthing you need (audio, midi etc).

Pappu #3029244 09/26/20 09:57 AM
G
OP Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Pappu
Originally Posted by GreatShowmanChopin

I hope that helps,

Thanks for your time!
Yes, Rich is the owner of Cunningham piano! The person in the video is Hugh Sung.

Oh wow! No way! That's awesome! I've watched a few of Hugh's piano demonstrations and even was able to catch a livestream with Hugh and Craig Knudsen that was really cool. It's that particular demonstration video I linked that I thought was so cool with NoteStar that got me motivated to go with the CLP and pair it with a tablet.

Boboulus #3029248 09/26/20 09:59 AM
G
OP Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Boboulus
I have an iPad Pro 12,9" 2020 (4th gen) and it's amazing since it large and works great for sheet music. Also depending on witch CLP you get you can just connect a USB-B to USB-C cavle straight to the ipad without dongle and it will recognize the iPad for everuthing you need (audio, midi etc).

Yeah, I was leaning either iPad Pro or Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ for the bigger screen sizes. Glad to know that was your thinking too and it's working out well for you! Helps me narrow down my options! Thanks!

Boboulus #3029600 09/27/20 02:11 PM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

One more vote for iPad Pro 12.9” - it is quite excellent for sheet music viewing - especially with forScore app. The forScore app’s latest version has a very good crop mode that removes the margins - making the notes bigger. This works very well. Typical music now is at the same size or larger than Henle Verlag score music. Very readable. And, the battery power is good enough to keep the iPad Pro on for hours while on the piano without having to charge it. Highly recommended.

BTW, I would not recommend any tablet under 12.9” screen for sheet music viewing. Smaller tablets will work - but bigger tablets make for a much more paper like experience for reading the sheet music.

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 09/27/20 02:12 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Osho #3029629 09/27/20 04:15 PM
G
OP Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Osho

One more vote for iPad Pro 12.9” - it is quite excellent for sheet music viewing - especially with forScore app. The forScore app’s latest version has a very good crop mode that removes the margins - making the notes bigger. This works very well. Typical music now is at the same size or larger than Henle Verlag score music. Very readable. And, the battery power is good enough to keep the iPad Pro on for hours while on the piano without having to charge it. Highly recommended.

BTW, I would not recommend any tablet under 12.9” screen for sheet music viewing. Smaller tablets will work - but bigger tablets make for a much more paper like experience for reading the sheet music.

Osho

Yeah, I definitely agree with your point about screen size. And I was definitely not wanting to go with anything smaller than 12". So that's why I was curious about iPad Pro vs Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+.

It sounds like the iPad is the better option as it has more app exclusives such as forScore and Hal Leonard's apps and the quality of the apps is just all around better on iOS devices vs Android.

I appreciate your input and the suggestion of forScore. First time I've heard of that one.

GreatShowmanChopin #3029655 09/27/20 05:20 PM
R
R
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6Lite specifically for use with my new CLP-685 Clavinova. I also ordered the Yamaha Wireless Transmitter, Yamaha UDWL01 WiFi USB/MIDI Adapter. Both work extremely will with the 685. You might have some problem getting the connection at first but anyone with computer savvy will get it going in a few minutes. Believe me, it really does work and you don't have to use your router. It's by what they say, and "adhoc" connection (no router needed!).

Once you have it connected, you don't have to go through the detection phase any more. The piano, in a short time, will find the tablet and your ready to run Yamaha Smart Pianist. The adapter will show up in your list of wireless access points.

Last edited by Randall Krall; 09/27/20 05:24 PM.
Randall Krall #3029667 09/27/20 05:53 PM
G
OP Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Randall Krall
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6Lite specifically for use with my new CLP-685 Clavinova. I also ordered the Yamaha Wireless Transmitter, Yamaha UDWL01 WiFi USB/MIDI Adapter. Both work extremely will with the 685. You might have some problem getting the connection at first but anyone with computer savvy will get it going in a few minutes. Believe me, it really does work and you don't have to use your router. It's by what they say, and "adhoc" connection (no router needed!).

Once you have it connected, you don't have to go through the detection phase any more. The piano, in a short time, will find the tablet and your ready to run Yamaha Smart Pianist. The adapter will show up in your list of wireless access points.

OK. Great to know! Glad to hear it's a one-time setup type thing. That's pretty convenient. Thanks for the info!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Selling Kawai ES110
by Cutec - 10/21/20 12:26 PM
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,338
Posts3,015,738
Members98,970
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission