2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You can find both amateurs and advanced pianists liking either sampled pianos or Pianoteq. It’s all about personal taste. The most dividing point seems to be an artificial (synthetic, metallic) character in Pianoteq which Pianoteq proponents can’t hear or are simply not bothered by. Putting that aside, Pianoteq is better in any respect compared to sample-based pianos. However some people (including me) just can’t ignore the synthetic character that spoils the pleasure of playing a piano for them and it’s a deal breaker.

I pretty much agree entirely here, except for the bolded part, I'm not sure if that's what you intended? If Pianoteq didn't have that metallic/synthetic ring, I would definitely like it a lot more, but I don't think it wins on all other counts. Garritan CFX still has that wonderfully organic ambient/remote mic perspective that creates an actual, realistic reverb, this is IMO head and shoulders over any synthetic reverb, whether on a sampled or modeled VST or hardware DP engine.

Actually I agree with you on that. I have entirely forgotten about reverb. I was thinking about things like pedaling, half-pedaling and resonances that are spot-on.

But yes, the real ambiance in Garritan CFX (and other libraries with distant mics) is another area which is lacking in modeled pianos (and any other digital/software piano with algorithmic reverb).

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/25/20 12:46 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Regarding to the playability and how the VST responds to the touch, it is all tweak-able by the velocity curve. From my experience, different VSTs really need a different velocity curve if using the same keyboard. And if you switch to another keyboard, you need another velocity curve. I do think that this affects a lot more than whether it is sampled or modeled. For example, 20 velocity layers in Garritan CFX is already a lot but how to map these 20 layers is the key.

Now going back to the original question, for digital pianos and VSTs, we have a few different approaches:
1. DP manufactures with about 5 velocity layers with interpolations
2. Most sampled based VSTs with 8-36 layers that people usually like here, but without interpolations (Ravenscroft, Ivory II ACD, Garritan CFX, Embertone Walker 1955, etc.)
3. Brute force sampled VSTs with huge layers (~70 layers in VSL Synchron Pianos, and ~100 layers in VSL Vienna Imperial)
4. "fully modeled" solutions such as Pianoteq and Roland. Theoretically it should have 127 layers.

A lot of people noticed that these numbers are only on paper and more velocity layers really did not mean better playing experience. We also have a lot of variations here, such as how well those layers interpolate, and how well is the model in Pianoteq. How do we map those 70 layers of timbers in VSL Synchron Pianos to the 127 midi levels, how to map midi levels with loudness, and how to map "hammer velocity" to a midi level.

My personal impression is that interpolations tend to make the sound less detailed and lifeless, and fully model solution is not able to create a realistic attack sound at this point though the versatility of the sound is good. I do think that the "brute force" sampled solution by VSL has its edge at this point if sampled, implemented and scripted well.

In terms of pedaling, Pianoteq wins hands down followed by hardware DPs. Software VSTs are lagging behind. In terms of reverb, I agree with Gombassa and CyberGene that the real reverb is so much better than the artificial one, and it actually hides some "defects" of the sampled VSTs (sympathetic resonance, pedalling, note release, etc)

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Garritan CFX still has that wonderfully organic ambient/remote mic perspective that creates an actual, realistic reverb, this is IMO head and shoulders over any synthetic reverb, whether on a sampled or modeled VST or hardware DP engine.

Actually I agree with you on that. I have entirely forgotten about reverb. I was thinking about things like pedaling, half-pedaling and resonances that are spot-on.

But yes, the real ambiance in Garritan CFX (and other libraries with distant mics) is another area which is lacking in modeled pianos (and any other digital/software piano with algorithmic reverb).

Reverb is definitely a challenge, however Pianoteq doesn't do so bad, from a piano player perspective.

If you want Pianoteq to sound really bad -- turn off reverb. That also helps demonstrate how well Modartt is actually doing. You don't have to care about anything other than the default reverb settings while playing.

For production purposes, you can reposition mics easily and use an external reverb, but that is optional, depending on your mix and depending on what you want to achieve in your recording.

I think Pianoteq mic positioning + Valhalla Room does a remarkable job here, for example:

I definitely hope that reverb is something that's revisited in Pianoteq 7 though, as it could have a tremendous payoff in how Pianoteq is perceived by critics.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I don't think the reverb is "bad" or unpleasant sounding on most any modern VST/hardware implementation. It's just that to my ears, nothing holds a candle to Garritan CFX (and presumably some other far-mic'd VSTs like VSL) in terms of actually sounding authentic/realistic. CFX really sounds like you're in and being recorded in the space, as opposed to just having a nice reverb effect applied to the tone.

The downside of course is that you can't really modify/customize that authenticity if you're not a fan of it or want a different ambiance. IMO, it does this one thing really, really well, but of course ya gotta like that one thing to have it be worth it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
(and presumably some other far-mic'd VSTs like VSL)

That's the impression i always got of vsl vst's as well, because in most of their demo's you hear alot of far mics, I don't know why they do that. To me that echoing sound isn't nice at all.

I was happy to find the close mics are close, as they should be. And then you have mid mics, which are... well, mid, as they should be. A vsl piano doesn't have to sound anything like these far mic'ed deno's.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You can find both amateurs and advanced pianists liking either sampled pianos or Pianoteq. It’s all about personal taste. The most dividing point seems to be an artificial (synthetic, metallic) character in Pianoteq which Pianoteq proponents can’t hear or are simply not bothered by. Putting that aside, Pianoteq is better in any respect compared to sample-based pianos. However some people (including me) just can’t ignore the synthetic character that spoils the pleasure of playing a piano for them and it’s a deal breaker.

I pretty much agree entirely here, except for the bolded part, I'm not sure if that's what you intended? If Pianoteq didn't have that metallic/synthetic ring, I would definitely like it a lot more, but I don't think it wins on all other counts. Garritan CFX still has that wonderfully organic ambient/remote mic perspective that creates an actual, realistic reverb, this is IMO head and shoulders over any synthetic reverb, whether on a sampled or modeled VST or hardware DP engine.

Pianoteq is a great modeled harpsichord. But Pianoforte modeling, well...

Yamaha P-515
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JoeT

Which harpsichord do you recommend in Pianoteq? There are several options but I haven't really explored them.

Pianoteq even lets you play them with pianoforte-like dynamic expression -- might make for something interesting if you find the right music to play.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia
2. Most sampled based VSTs with 8-36 layers that people usually like here, but without interpolations (Ravenscroft, Ivory II ACD, Garritan CFX, Embertone Walker 1955, etc.)
According to the Ivory page :

“Sample Interpolation Technology used for ultrasmooth velocity and note transitions”

Then Synthogy Ivory’s pianos are among the few VST (the only?) which use interpolation and avoid any velocity layers gap.

Kontakt enables velocity crossfade (see https://www.adsrsounds.com/kontakt-tutorials/creating-key-and-velocity-crossfades-old/ ) but this doesn’t mean many Kontakt librairies use this feature. I suppose we can even have phase cancellation if samples are not well aligned.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Originally Posted by JoeT

Which harpsichord do you recommend in Pianoteq? There are several options but I haven't really explored them.
I only tried the free KiViR instruments.

Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Originally Posted by Harpuia
According to the Ivory page :

“Sample Interpolation Technology used for ultrasmooth velocity and note transitions”

Then Synthogy Ivory’s pianos are among the few VST (the only?) which use interpolation and avoid any velocity layers gap.

Indeed Synthogy ACD allows you to reduce the number velocity layers to save memory and interpolates between them. Also its half-pedaling is at least half-decent. Sadly the Steinway they recorded is just not a very great instrument.

Kontakt enables velocity crossfade (see https://www.adsrsounds.com/kontakt-tutorials/creating-key-and-velocity-crossfades-old/ ) but this doesn’t mean many Kontakt librairies use this feature. I suppose we can even have phase cancellation if samples are not well aligned.

That's exactly the "playability" issue Software users talk about all the time. Low-end digital pianos only provide a single layer and are still pretty playable. However the latter sometimes leads to the "banging the keys" phenomenon when single-layer players switch to an acoustic piano.

Yamaha P-515
Originally Posted by magicpiano
It's true that the HI-XL has longer samples, but the duration of the sustain is independent of the sample length, because the piano engine can make the looped sustained part long/short almost as you want.
How can I measure the sample length on my piano? How did you do that? Did you connect it to an oscilator and analyze the ouput graph?

I know, in the end what matters the most is "how it sounds to my ears". But I'm just curious about this.

Last edited by meghdad; 09/26/20 10:52 AM.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Read the DPBSD thread by dewster. (Go to the "master sticky" thread. There you'll find a link to the DPBSD thread.)
In the first few posts dewster explains his measurement techniques. You might find an answer there.
Originally Posted by meghdad
How can I measure the sample length on my piano? How did you do that? Did you connect it to an oscilator and analyze the ouput graph?

For me, though, the point is moot ...
Originally Posted by meghdad
I know, in the end what matters the most is "how it sounds to my ears". But I'm just curious about this.

M
M
I just received an email from NI regarding Cremona Quartet and it mentioned "phase-aligned stereo samples". I don't know if that means on cross-fade, or it's just marketing speak for "we know how to record in stereo". Reminded me of this thread anyhow.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/cinematic/cremona-quartet/?content=5515

edit: it does say "Phase aligned velocity crossfades on long articulations".

Last edited by MartF; 10/19/20 07:45 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MartF
I just received an email from NI regarding Cremona Quartet and it mentioned "phase-aligned stereo samples". I don't know if that means on cross-fade, or it's just marketing speak for "we know how to record in stereo". Reminded me of this thread anyhow.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/cinematic/cremona-quartet/?content=5515

edit: it does say "Phase aligned velocity crossfades on long articulations".

phase-aligned probably mean that they apply calculated delays to samples recorded with different pairs of stereo mics, i.e. ambience mics sound with, say, 20ms delay to close ones. This will result in more pleasant echo/ambience/reverb thanks to proper transition between, and mix of, close and ambient sample velocitiess.

Last edited by VladK; 10/19/20 07:52 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission