2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
What is the music being used on this clip? I have tried entering it into the best know music finder apps, and contacted the youtube maker, but all to no avail. So putting it out to the brains trust here.

BTW hoping to walk the Cape Wrath Trail when the planes are flying again.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Your link doesn’t work for me.

E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
ok lets see if this one works:

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
It looks like if you go to this page, you can write to the gentleman who made the video:
https://sectionhiker.com/correspondence/

(He linked the SectionHiker page in the comments for the video).

Let us know if you find out. I only listened to the first few minutes or so but it sounds like there are an awful lot of instruments involved.... smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I listened to the first 2 1/2 minutes. This reminds me of something I've seen/heard a few times. I don't know what it's called. You have some kind of app, where you can layer one voice (instrument) on top of the other. So you start:

- instrument 1, a melody or riff of 1 - 4 bars
- rewind/record - what you just played will be playing, and you play something else on top of that, which harmonizes, with another instrument. (Say your melody is over the a C chord and then an F chord, you make your next instrument fit into those those chords

Now you have two voices.

- rewind/record - the two voices are playing, you now add a third voice/instrument

Now you have three voices

- ditto - next voice

After a while you can start subtracting voices, making the thick texture thin again, and continue with something new that meshes.

The first 2 minutes keep having the original instrument(s) with the original same melody/riff thing, repeating over and over, with something added until it's very rich.

Unlike the "classical" music when we learn to create music, it doesn't "go somewhere". It's not leading to a climax, a resolution - it just sounds good and interesting, harmonized, interesting rhythms interplaying, giving a mood. When chunk after chunk is added, then maybe tension and excitement is added and then back to calmness.

Dunno if this makes sense. There was a Ted(X?) talk once where a guy did this, having a guitar and some kind of pedal on the floor that he'd step on for the layers.

I'm interested in the "music finder apps" part.
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I have tried entering it into the best know music finder apps, and contacted the youtube maker, but all to no avail.
I think I even asked that question before, got answers, and lost it.

I have a serious deficit in knowing names of music and composers. I heard classical music since I was little but it was all my parents' turf and had nothing to do with me, so I knew no names. Later "stuff" happened in life. Recently I had an ear worm that came from childhood. I played snatches of what I remembered on the piano, recording it, and asked my teacher "What might this be?" It was part of the 2nd movement of the Beethoven symphony no. 7. I could not even tell whether I had misremembered or invented parts, without going to the original - and if you don't know the name of it, you can't.

So is "music finder" the keyword for finding these apps?

This is not the same thing as I was talking about, but it shows the technology. Yesterday I got interested in the structure of Barbershop quartets because of something that came into my feed. For example, I didn't know that the main melody is actually not the top voice; and the baritone's role is to add colour to the harmonies while the other three voices have fixed roles harmonically speaking. In this particular video, the person is actually adding one voice after the other. He's not doing what I just set out, but you do see the technology I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/zhEBP3YxzMY?t=52

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
keystring, there are lots of apps and online services for music identification. I don't know what earlofmar used as a "music finder" but I use an app called Shazam. It works pretty good with pop, rock etc., and it's sort of good with classical (obviously better with very famous music), but it almost never correctly IDs modern solo piano (e.g., Einaudi, Ffrench etc.). I still keep trying though. whome

Google has a service as well, I'm not remembering what it's called though.

If you ever want to try it, just go to a search engine and type in something like "identify this song" or "what is this music" or "song finder app" etc.

smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by keystring
This is not the same thing as I was talking about, but it shows the technology. Yesterday I got interested in the structure of Barbershop quartets because of something that came into my feed. For example, I didn't know that the main melody is actually not the top voice; and the baritone's role is to add colour to the harmonies while the other three voices have fixed roles harmonically speaking. In this particular video, the person is actually adding one voice after the other. He's not doing what I just set out, but you do see the technology I was talking about.

Jacob Collier has a number of videos where he does all the voices and layers them

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

Jacob Collier has a number of videos where he does all the voices and layers them

Try

Mundo Relajante
Naturaleza del Mar & Deep Relaxation Meditation Academy

It sounds like stock background/elevator music.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
keystring, there are lots of apps and online services for music identification. I don't know what earlofmar used as a "music finder" but I use an app called Shazam. It works pretty good with pop, rock etc., and it's sort of good with classical (obviously better with very famous music), but it almost never correctly IDs modern solo piano (e.g., Einaudi, Ffrench etc.). I still keep trying though. whome

Google has a service as well, I'm not remembering what it's called though.

If you ever want to try it, just go to a search engine and type in something like "identify this song" or "what is this music" or "song finder app" etc.

smile
I use Soundhound, slightly better in my experience with Einaudi, and some TV, film, game music as long as it's been released for sale. I have not tried it with 'classical'. My grandchildren, of course, put me onto it as it provides lyrics for pop to sing along in real time if your internet connection is good enough (although I do not make use of this feature).

Originally Posted by dogperson
He does amazing and sophisticated things, and also uses microtones with effect - he is beyond genius. I think he can have over 100 layers in his work.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Unlike the "classical" music when we learn to create music, it doesn't "go somewhere". It's not leading to a climax, a resolution - it just sounds good and interesting, harmonized, interesting rhythms interplaying, giving a mood. When chunk after chunk is added, then maybe tension and excitement is added and then back to calmness.

Oh, there is plenty of "classical" music that does that too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRdLZyOU4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhkGyJ092E

grin

It even has a name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato

wink

E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
It looks like if you go to this page, you can write to the gentleman who made the video:

Let us know if you find out. I only listened to the first few minutes or so but it sounds like there are an awful lot of instruments involved.... smile

Yes I tried contacting SectionHiker directly but I have had no reply.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
I'm interested in the "music finder apps" part.

I tried Soundhound and Shazam because they are reportedly the best

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Oh, there is plenty of "classical" music that does that too:
Ok, the classical, the way I worded it, was a red herring. I was trying to explain how it's a thing now where people use apps or software to invent music, where you create a short simple line, and then add other voices with other instruments (or the same instrument) to make something that sounds nice. It is therefore possible that the passage the OP is looking for was created that way. If so, you won't be able to find "which piece" it is (like a composed piece or classical piece) because it would not have been composed that way. If you listen to the first 2 minutes, you hear exactly that pattern, with a new voice being added at each cycle, and then voices subtracted again. Therefore that process. Yes, it's ostinato.

The point was to address the question of finding this music, and that if it got invented this way, it might not be findable.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Yes I tried contacting SectionHiker directly but I have had no reply.

Well, shoot! I hope you’re able to find it some way! Maybe he’ll get back to you, just a little later...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned that it is stock music that Apple has loaded on their computers. It's applied every time I want to have a look at a sideshow through iPhotos. I have no clue what the name of it is though and I don't think Apple has ever applied the original composition details to it either.

Learning piano on: Yamaha CLP 685
Working on: Basic Piano Adventures Level 1 + Gold Star Performance
Dozen a Day Mini Book - Burnam
Vorschule im Klavierspiel Op. 101 - Beyer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission