2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
46 members (anotherscott, Burkey, brendon, andredatele, butchkoch, brennbaer, CyberGene, bob44, 14 invisible), 412 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Roland LX700 Series Tone Settings
tudor33sud #2886909 09/04/19 11:34 AM
T
T
Hi. New owner of an LX708 here. Going back to the tone settings, I had a question on how to save tone settings as registrations.
Is it possible? I've tried, but the settings don't "stick".

For example, I loaded one of Veryver's settings from Piano Designer and then created a registration for it. Then I went back to the app and returned to the default Euro Grand hoping that I could easily switch "pianos" without having to load the "pianos" from the app each time. But when I select the registration, the sound had gone back to the Euro Grand.

I have been able to set registrations for the "other" sounds so I wouldn't need to scroll through the 200 "other" sounds to find a specific sound sampling.

Thanks for your input and thanks for sharing your tone settings. I wish there was some repository of settings for different pianos, eg, Bosendorfer or Fazioli. I guess you'd need to have one of those pianos there with you and then painstakingly recreate the piano's tone.

Roland LX708
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Tom L #2887676 09/06/19 05:24 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by Tom L
Hi. New owner of an LX708 here. Going back to the tone settings, I had a question on how to save tone settings as registrations.
Is it possible? I've tried, but the settings don't "stick".

For example, I loaded one of Veryver's settings from Piano Designer and then created a registration for it. Then I went back to the app and returned to the default Euro Grand hoping that I could easily switch "pianos" without having to load the "pianos" from the app each time. But when I select the registration, the sound had gone back to the Euro Grand.

I have been able to set registrations for the "other" sounds so I wouldn't need to scroll through the 200 "other" sounds to find a specific sound sampling.

Thanks for your input and thanks for sharing your tone settings. I wish there was some repository of settings for different pianos, eg, Bosendorfer or Fazioli. I guess you'd need to have one of those pianos there with you and then painstakingly recreate the piano's tone.

Good question - I have wondered about that: ie, could one save different Piano Designer adjustments (including soundboard settings) under different registrations.

I would add an observation (based on the pre-loaded registrations). On my LX-705, having selected one of the piano registrations to have a play with... then switch the piano off, the next time I switch the piano on it remembers the ambience settings of that registration. It also appears that it happens when I go back to default piano sounds (without switching it off). Annoying - I thought the point of registrations would allow everything to return back to how you've 'designed' it was once you've gone back to the default piano sound on the main screen (ie Euro/American 1/2).

I've not thought to check as to whether it 'remembers' the brilliance settings too though.

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 09/06/19 05:25 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
tudor33sud #2980820 05/18/20 04:24 PM
R
R
Hello people I am a beginner in this piano world.
Recently I also bought a Roland lx708. It is a beautiful piano to see. First I had a Roland HP704 for 2 months, but I didn't like the cabinet. Otherwise it had a good sound. with the Roland LX 708 it took some time to getting used to. The lowest 5 tones sound a little bit digital, as if the vibration echoes through the cabinet in the distance. The HP 704 was better
to my taste.
When you press the keys with the lx700 slowly, there came no sound sometimes. Is that normal?

Does anyone have any tips for the settings. I usually use European 2.

Roland HP704 - Roland LX708
tudor33sud #2980850 05/18/20 05:35 PM
R
R
I don't know how to change my message, i wanted to add something more. I have to say that the Roland HP704's bass sometimes sounded to bumpy with some keys where it shouldn't ,(C left hand almost in the middle) it's sounded like the sound was dropping heavy through an empty barrel. That is not necessary for me for that key. but would like the the last lower tones bass of the Roland Lx708 deeper, now it just sounded like weak and hollow in the distance.

Last edited by Roland_user1972; 05/18/20 05:37 PM.

tudor33sud #2981033 05/19/20 06:21 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Roland_user1972
I don't know how to change my message, i wanted to add something more. I have to say that the Roland HP704's bass sometimes sounded to bumpy with some keys where it shouldn't ,(C left hand almost in the middle) it's sounded like the sound was dropping heavy through an empty barrel. That is not necessary for me for that key. but would like the the last lower tones bass of the Roland Lx708 deeper, now it just sounded like weak and hollow in the distance.
Did you play with the volume? At what volume are you playing it?

You will find in the first post the settings that I've been using, please do not forget to set the touch sensivity to either default (50) or to 60 if you like less harshness in your sound. Soundboard 5 usually makes a difference, and you should also be playing with brilliance to set it at like +3/ +4.

I just moved from my apartment , and now the LX708 sits in a bigger room where reverberation is natural. So I ended up using the European V2 now with the default soundboard, raised the lid to 5, and used Brilliance +4, and touch sensivity to 41, with ambience Studio +5. I feel now that the tone is the most natural that I could get out of the piano, I really dig it. Usually the manufacturers default settings should be the best, so I guess that's the reason. The bass is well round and heavy, while the treble is now open and with more highs. Just try to use european v2 with added brilliance, touch sensivity set down to 41 and the ambience to studio or you could go with some other if you don't have natural reverberation. Let me know how that went smile

PS: in response to your question, you should not have problems with uneven keys, and pressing the keys slowly should have an outcome. However, it is possible to not get the sound if you press it slowly until the repetition resistance comes in, and then you go down fully. maybe you can record the differences so that we could judge.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
tudor33sud #2981069 05/19/20 08:25 AM
R
R
Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you always have the top cover open while playing? Every now and then I keep changing the settings. European 2 indeed sounds the best. Have the volume at 40. one time the setting is on soundboard: 5 and sometimes at 1. Another question about haptic, I feel vibrations with the left hand keys, but not with the right hand keys.
But even if I turn this function off, I still feel vibrations with the keys with my left hand. how is that with you?can you export your settings and send it to my email or something?

I live in an apartment, without hang curtains. We have an laminate floor, so no carpet. And you?

Last edited by Roland_user1972; 05/19/20 08:29 AM.

Roland_user1972 #2981087 05/19/20 09:47 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you always have the top cover open while playing? Every now and then I keep changing the settings. European 2 indeed sounds the best. Have the volume at 40. one time the setting is on soundboard: 5 and sometimes at 1. Another question about haptic, I feel vibrations with the left hand keys, but not with the right hand keys.
But even if I turn this function off, I still feel vibrations with the keys with my left hand. how is that with you?can you export your settings and send it to my email or something?

I live in an apartment, without hang curtains. We have an laminate floor, so no carpet. And you?
I will need to check the manual a little bit on how to export the settings. Maybe it will be easier just to share you the full piano designer settings. The room that I have now is currently not that heavy with furniture, and is the same laminate floor no carpets. With haptic key vibrations , I set it to extra large ( you can find that under settings, it was added in some updated firmware), and you can easily notice if turning it off works for you because you have option to enable haptic feedback while using headphones. You should put it to on and test it with headphones ( I can only feel it mostly on my left hand, I think that's the case with a real piano as well ), and then set it to off and play again with headphones and see if you notice that it's gone.

I use 43 as my main volume now, but that mostly because I have some harshness in my right ear that will need to be checked at the doctor smile The top lid is always open, because that adds the highs that I like.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile

tudor33sud #2981114 05/19/20 10:58 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

I will need to check the manual a little bit on how to export the settings. Maybe it will be easier just to share you the full piano designer settings. The room that I have now is currently not that heavy with furniture, and is the same laminate floor no carpets. With haptic key vibrations , I set it to extra large ( you can find that under settings, it was added in some updated firmware), and you can easily notice if turning it off works for you because you have option to enable haptic feedback while using headphones. You should put it to on and test it with headphones ( I can only feel it mostly on my left hand, I think that's the case with a real piano as well ), and then set it to off and play again with headphones and see if you notice that it's gone.

I use 43 as my main volume now, but that mostly because I have some harshness in my right ear that will need to be checked at the doctor smile The top lid is always open, because that adds the highs that I like.
Oké thanks for your reply. For export settings:
You click on the gear on the far right, and you keep turning until you reach settings export, and press the button for oke.
Sharing your full piano designer settings, its oké to for me to. Thanks.

Last edited by Roland_user1972; 05/19/20 10:59 AM.

tudor33sud #2981129 05/19/20 11:28 AM
R
R
what do you boys do after playing the piano, closing the key cover or leaving it open? what do you use to remove fingerprint away from a black high-gloss piano? A piano shop was talking about glass sex. Is that safe? I try it first with a soft microfibre cloth. It's not like that i can't get it off with that.

Last edited by Roland_user1972; 05/19/20 11:31 AM.

tudor33sud #2981605 05/20/20 11:04 AM
R
R
I spoke to Roland's representative in the Netherlands. He will be at my house in 2 weeks, to tune the LX708. He even said that the HD704 is most like a grand piano for the money. But if he comes to tune my piano it will sound better than the 704

Roland_user1972 #2981640 05/20/20 11:55 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I spoke to Roland's representative in the Netherlands. He will be at my house in 2 weeks, to tune the LX708. He even said that the HD704 is most like a grand piano for the money. But if he comes to tune my piano it will sound better than the 704
That s great! Please let us know which things did he change, I am really curious about it since it s the first time I hear about this process. I will send you my settings in private!

Looking forward to hearing from you smile

tudor33sud #2981677 05/20/20 12:34 PM
R
R
Of course I will let you know the custom settings. How do you send your settings to me privately? through pm on this forum?

tudor33sud #2981952 05/21/20 12:11 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Yes, I already did 👍

Roland_user1972 #2981990 05/21/20 02:55 AM
O
O

Sounds very interesting. I'd be keen to know how he manages to smooth things out, and whether it can be done by the user. 👍

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
tudor33sud #2982072 05/21/20 08:28 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey

Sounds very interesting. I'd be keen to know how he manages to smooth things out, and whether it can be done by the user. 👍
hi, do you have the LX708 too? Are you not satisfied with how it sounds?

Roland_user1972 #2982092 05/21/20 09:03 AM
O
O
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey

hi, do you have the LX708 too? Are you not satisfied with how it sounds?

I’ve got an LX-705. Quite happy with it as is, but willing to try something different. Who knows, I might like it more. 😃

tudor33sud #3028849 09/25/20 07:51 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone, reviving this thread if anyone is interested in some other roland lx 700 series tone settings for recordings / live playing.

I recorded 2 sample songs with the same setting for you to assess how it sounds.

Settings used:
  • first reset your European V2 tone to default
  • add touch sensivity 45
  • use brightness +8
  • in piano designer, change E#5 character to +2 ( I don't like the default sound of that )
  • ambience Stone Hall + 2

Samples links:

tudor33sud #3037223 10/19/20 04:01 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
Hi everyone, reviving this thread if anyone is interested in some other roland lx 700 series tone settings for recordings / live playing.

I recorded 2 sample songs with the same setting for you to assess how it sounds.

Settings used:
  • first reset your European V2 tone to default
  • add touch sensivity 45
  • use brightness +8
  • in piano designer, change E#5 character to +2 ( I don't like the default sound of that )
  • ambience Stone Hall + 2

Samples links:

Coming back to the setting used, Thanks to Colin Miles for idea in another thread I also tweaked tuning from 442Hz to 440 Hz and that seemed to balance more the upper register and gave it a little bit more character as I like it. 442 sounded a little bit twangy to my ears.

If anyone is interested about the outcome, here's a recording made with this particular setting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJwYFijIXY

tudor33sud #3037249 10/19/20 06:45 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi there - the sample sounded much better than your previous ones. I have been using the European 1 for my changes since when I had altered the 2 and really didn't like the result and didn't want to lose my 1 settings by setting to 2 to default - it shouldn't affect 1 should it? Also regarding other changes I made I did quite a few characterisation changes around E2 to get a bit more evenness as well as a few octave tunings.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
Colin Miles #3037262 10/19/20 07:34 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Hi there - the sample sounded much better than your previous ones. I have been using the European 1 for my changes since when I had altered the 2 and really didn't like the result and didn't want to lose my 1 settings by setting to 2 to default - it shouldn't affect 1 should it? Also regarding other changes I made I did quite a few characterisation changes around E2 to get a bit more evenness as well as a few octave tunings.
That's a good question, I am not sure if it somehow affects or not your European 1 setting. I would do a quick video with the values of the European 1 just in case.

From my knowledge, the only shared values are tuning HZ, ambience, brilliance. Everything which is done in piano designer it's individual to each sound. Teoretically, if you go to european v2 -> piano designer -> reset it should only affect European V2. I am going in 5 mins to test this on European 1 and I will let you know the outcome. I'll try to modify my european 1 setting, then reset to default, and check whether it defaulted my european 2 as well.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Any info on Alfonsi pianos?
by Ubu - 12/03/20 03:19 AM
Can the IPad Pro run the better VSTs well?
by Muskellunge - 12/03/20 12:27 AM
Nice recording from ribbon mic
by Emery Wang - 12/03/20 12:16 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,227
Posts3,029,956
Members99,454
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission