2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
51 members (anotherscott, 1957, bobrunyan, Bill McKaig,RPT, Chouca, b4xter, Blague, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 406 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1989 Yamaha C7. Is this a good "vintage" of C7?
#3028732 09/24/20 09:50 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm considering buying one that appears to be in excellent condition. Very little wear. Consistent tuning.

Yes, I'm going to hire a professional technician to inspect it first!

But I wanted to ask the forum if there are any known problems with late 80s/early 90s Yamaha C7s. I occasionally read comments on this forum about how Mason & Hamlin pianos are best before 1929 and after 2005, that Estonia pianos are best after 2005, that certain vintages of Steinway grands had problems with their bushings, etc.

So is there anything to worry about with a 1989 Yahama C7?

Thanks for your insights.

Re: 1989 Yamaha C7. Is this a good "vintage" of C7?
Piano90X #3028751 09/24/20 11:19 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm no pro, but I don't think I've ever read anything negative, disparaging or problematic about any Yamaha C7, regardless of age or particular model designation. I've only read good things about them.

I have an older model C7, from 1978, and I love it. It is 7'4" instead of 7'6" like the later models that came soon after the 1978 model. Also, the tail curvature of my C7 is a bit eccentric and not symmetric, like the later models. The model designation of my C7 is the "B" model (serial # starts with "B").

I think the next model designation was the "E", which included the changes of being 2" longer in length and the smooth, symmetrical tail curvature.

My C7 has some wear, but is still in excellent, original condition. I play it hard, and often, and it never disappoints! I've played a few newish Steinway Bs and Ds that didn't sound that much better, to my old ears anyway.

I'm sure you will get more info on your enquiry, but I doubt you would be disappointed in the C7. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Piano90X #3028754 09/24/20 11:29 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for your thoughts, Rick.

For reference it is an "F" model C7, if that makes any difference.

Piano90X #3028759 09/25/20 12:02 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I bought the C7e new in '88 and owned it for 9 years before trading it in on an S6 in '97. Looking back, I probably should have kept the C7. Although I was able to command a higher price when I sold the S6 in 2005 to offset the cost of the Steinway.

The E was a solid piano with excellent tone. As always, the skill of your tech ( and techs that have worked on it during its past lifetime) have a lot to do with how the tonal quality and overall player impression. I had top people in LA servicing the piano during my time of ownership.

Depending on usage, it might need new hammers and strings after 31 years. My S6 needed new hammers when I sold it after only 7 years but I was practicing a lot during that time..

I recall reading an article out there somewhere years ago comparing the E and F models. The reviewer definitely preferred the F model if I remember.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 09/25/20 12:11 AM.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4
Piano90X #3028771 09/25/20 01:43 AM
K
K
I don’t think Yamaha has a specific year model to be avoided. The brands you’ve mentioned had gone through significant business structure and the manufacturing process changes in the recent past, hence some year models have less than optimal design and/or qualities.

If you like the piano in person and it checks out, it should be fine. 1989 isn’t too old (I wouldn’t exactly call it vintage!) as long as it’s in good condition.

Last edited by K8KT; 09/25/20 01:44 AM.
Piano90X #3028953 09/25/20 02:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I believe the C7F is one of the shortest-lived variations on the C7 because it did not resonate as well with artists or perhaps dealers. I do not believe it is a criticism of the build quality or reliability at that time. It's 30 years later, so its current condition is what matters.

Also, I would re-adjust your "best era" for Mason & Hamlin. Late 1990's and early 2000's are some of the better ones I've seen and continuing on through the mid-2000's.

All manufacturer's have quirks, some have wilder variations in QC, but Yamaha has been particularly consistent in the build quality of the C7's even during the various model versions. As time passes, it's more difficult to evaluate the musical differences of the different versions. If you like it, then have it checked thoroughly. Many C7's do go to musicians or institutions, meaning on average, they tend to receive more than average wear than the average piano might. We see many that were well made, but are heavily worn and need rebuilding.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Piano90X #3029068 09/25/20 07:55 PM
C
Online Content
C
Three years ago I bought an early 80's C7 and I love it. The action and hammers would benefit from some work, but not enought to stop me enjoying it. I play classical BTW - Bach, Rachmaninov transcriptions, Mozart at the moment.

I traded from a 1986 Grotrian 186 which I bought new. The Grotrian had a heavy action that I struggled with for too long and by comparison had a muddy sound/tone. It's a difficult decision to move on from what was my dream piano for so long, but it just wasn't pleasant to play. None of my pianist friends liked it much either.

One thing I miss is the build quality of the Grotrian, which is by far superior to the C7. The finish, the wood-work on the Grotrian was beautiful whereas the woodwork on the C7 is a bit rough by comparison, especially under the piano. When I'm playing, I don't think about it. However, for example the 3 pedals on the C7 just don't work as accurately or effectively as the Grotrian.

Overall, no regrets in moving to an older C7.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Reliability, New and used
by winterflower - 10/22/20 08:34 AM
Recommended YouTube channel
by Ido - 10/22/20 07:57 AM
VI Labs True Keys on sale for 79€
by FloRi89 - 10/22/20 03:45 AM
Anyone here learning Richard Clayderman classics?
by trooplewis - 10/21/20 10:03 PM
Tuning Pins Glued....now wait...how long?
by Duaner - 10/21/20 07:32 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,345
Posts3,015,956
Members98,974
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission