2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 222 of 302 1 2 220 221 222 223 224 301 302
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Yes, the NV10 was a massive upgrade for me.

On paper it wouldn't seem so, yet my level of satisfaction and joy of playing the piano shot up immensely after the CA98 to NV10 upgrade.

It's hard to pinpoint any advantages other than the obvious -- grand action, realistic damper action, sound system (for playing piano) are all significant to me. From a furniture perspective, the design and finish is certainly more beautiful and inspiring as well.

What else is there? Ultimately, the NV10 needs to compete with baby grands -- then the discussion becomes a digital versus acoustic one.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
Even if I compare the NV10's sound to my previous setup:
[Linked Image]
Two Paradigm Millenia Speakers
$50 Sony car amplifier smile
Polk DSW 660
The NV10 does not sound half as good as that system "for music".
I don't understand that. My mere P-515 slab (2x 15 W + 2x 5 W) sounds just fine when used as a Bluetooth speaker. And it sees much use lately as a guitar accompaniment device, as it can also play rhythms and bass lines with chord detection. I never intended to use it that way, when I bought it, but that is what happened.

Yamaha P-515
M
M
Are you guys sure that a sound board would be more superior to a subwoofer?

I believe that a high quality stereo amplifier, a pair of high quality bookshelf speakers and a 12"+ subwoofer would outperform any Onkyo sound system with or without a soundboard. I am not sure, but this is what I expect.

Seif I do agree with you šŸ‘: there must be (good quality) speaker+subwoofer setup that could give an outstanding sound to the NV-10 ... but for now it's exactly as you say: the NV10 speaker system is quite disappointing for the price tag.

The idea of the soundboard to me (I don't know for Pete and Ė†TomLCĖ†) made sense because I tried the NV-5 which has one and the sound was more convincing, clear and powerful to my ear. Plus, it would fit the concept of a real grand-like hybrid, with the hope that Kawai is perhaps more experienced there than with hifi (even with Onkyo, which is I believe not really seen as an industry leader).

Otherwise the action rating is on point šŸ™ƒ, I am just in a situation where I anyway have to wait before taking the purchase decision - otherwise I'd have bought the NV-10 already, so I want to see if Kawai annonces a grand-shaped hybrid šŸ”®.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Chopin, Ballade no 1
S
S
Originally Posted by JoeT
Even if I compare the NV10's sound to my previous setup:
[Linked Image]
Two Paradigm Millenia Speakers
$50 Sony car amplifier smile
Polk DSW 660
The NV10 does not sound half as good as that system "for music".

I don't understand that. My mere P-515 slab (2x 15 W + 2x 5 W) sounds just fine when used as a Bluetooth speaker. And it sees much use lately as a guitar accompaniment device, as it can also play rhythms and bass lines with chord detection. I never intended to use it that way, when I bought it, but that is what happened.

Right after unboxing the NV10, when I first connected my audio interface's line out to the NV10's line in, I felt a heartbreak. I was totally under the impression that the woofer is not working, and that I received a faulty unit. Knowing that I shipped it from a different country, I was so disappointed, as it would be very difficult to get it serviced.

Then I found out that the woofer is actually working, but it is just a very very low bass. It is well tuned and engineered for you to listen to nice piano sound, but not to listen to music, at all.

The sound does not match the specifications or the price range of the NV10 at all. But I can easily say that the Amazon Alexa and Apple Home Pod, that I consider commercial main stream speakers, sound much better than the NV10 out of the box.

I still think it may be an EQ setting. But I will dig deeper into this on the weekend.

If anyone has a different experience with their NV10, or have an insight about where to start, please let me know.

Last edited by Seif Maher; 09/23/20 06:33 PM.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
S
S
Originally Posted by navindra
Yes, the NV10 was a massive upgrade for me.

On paper it wouldn't seem so, yet my level of satisfaction and joy of playing the piano shot up immensely after the CA98 to NV10 upgrade.

It's hard to pinpoint any advantages other than the obvious -- grand action, realistic damper action, sound system (for playing piano) are all significant to me. From a furniture perspective, the design and finish is certainly more beautiful and inspiring as well.

What else is there? Ultimately, the NV10 needs to compete with baby grands -- then the discussion becomes a digital versus acoustic one.

Sounds like music to my ears. Before considering the NV10, I was going to buy the CA79/99.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
F
F
My experience with the NV10's speakers has been more or less the same. I found the sound through speakers so disappointing (only talking about sound when playing piano with the internal voices) that I immediately switched to headphones. Even with volume at max the sound lacked stage. From that perspective, the NU1X did a much better job imo.

This leads me to think: could Kawai/Onkyo have engineered the sound system better, given the constraints of a (relatively) compact form factor and the presence of a full grand action? How does the N1X compare, for example? I definitely value compactness and action over sound system, so I'd still pick the NV10.

Estonia L190, Kawai VPC1, Casio AP-450
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I value ā€˜compactnessā€™ to a certain extent; in other words, I donā€™t want/need a concert grand sized piano in my living space; however, I donā€™t want compactness to come at the expense of sound quality.

The NV-10 is big enough for it to sound well-balanced and full; there is still enough space in there (despite the action) to get creative with the speakers and their corresponding placement.

I suppose the best argument in my defense is your own assessment about the NU1Xā€™s sound; ā€œit did a better job,ā€ you say, yet the NU1X is much more compact than the NV-10, and yes, it also has to share this space with an acoustic action.

Yours kumbaya,

PetešŸ˜Œ

F
F
(Read your post a second too late, Pete ;))

Also, does the Novus need to be grand-shaped to sound "better"? I can imagine a horizontal soundboard would make it easier to make the sound projection similar to how sound is produced by an acoustic grand, but a NV15 with vertical soundboard and/or a more powerful or better designed speaker system would also represent an improvement in terms of sound, no? Unless one is after the looks of a grand, this would have a smaller footprint.

Last edited by floknot; 09/24/20 11:46 AM.

Estonia L190, Kawai VPC1, Casio AP-450
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I favor the horizontal soundboard or even speakers in a baby cabinet mainly because thereā€™s little to no obstruction. I find that with ā€˜uprightā€™ cabinets the speakers are tucked-in under serious obstruction; this despite some manufacturers using extra ā€˜escapement portsā€™; as the name suggests, the sound has to escape; whereas, the baby grand form factor simply allows the sound to be:

one devoid of obstruction, one in perfect-balance, and one resonating to the pulse of the universe.

NamastešŸ˜Œ

S
S
After the warranty period, I may consider the idea of retrofitting the NV10ā€™s speakers and replace them with something like Paradigm CI Elite speakers.

This might require changing the amplifier as well or at least the frequency crossover.

This retrofit, plus an external subwoofer should be remarkably better than the existing Onkyo setup.

Does anyone have a photo showing how much empty space is available between the top of the cabinet and the action?

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Does anyone have a photo showing how much empty space is available between the top of the cabinet and the action?

My photos don't give the best angle, but there's a decent amount of space below the top lid, even in the back where the hammers rise:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've always thought you could get some beefier drivers in there, and it might even add to the realism if they're completely enclosed by the cabinet.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Why didnā€™t Kawai include ā€˜beefierā€™ drivers? Itā€™s not like the NV-10 is cheap.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
Why didnā€™t Kawai include ā€˜beefierā€™ drivers? Itā€™s not like the NV-10 is cheap.

Who knows if they'd actually be better? I'm just guessing that you might be able to replace the 4" with 5" and the 6" sub with an 8", but maybe it'd sound horrible. We had a Roland RD-300NX hooked up to some massive 12+" PA, and it sounded anything but good imo.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Who knows if they'd actually be better? I'm just guessing that you might be able to replace the 4" with 5" and the 6" sub with an 8", but maybe it'd sound horrible. We had a Roland RD-300NX hooked up to some massive 12+" PA, and it sounded anything but good imo.

Kawai put beefier speakers in the ES920 vs the P515, yet Pete14 remains unimpressed.

FWIW, you can see the external speakers Kawai used when presenting the NV10 here:

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by navindra
FWIW, you can see the external speakers Kawai used when presenting the NV10 here:

Hey, there's Kawai James smile

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that the external monitors in that video were only for the accompaniment and orchestra parts, and not for the piano output.

Also, IIRC, this was the first public reveal of the NV-10 and SK-EX Rendering/Pianist Mode wasn't completed at the time so the piano was actually limited to Sound Mode.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hey, there's Kawai James smile

Hello!

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that the external monitors in that video were only for the accompaniment and orchestra parts, and not for the piano output.

Correct!

Also, IIRC, this was the first public reveal of the NV-10 and SK-EX Rendering/Pianist Mode wasn't completed at the time so the piano was actually limited to Sound Mode.

Also correct! This was indeed the very first public presentation too, hence the nerves and fluffed explanation!

If my memory serves me correctly, the "Pianist" mode tab of the UI was functioning, however the SK-EX Rendering engine itself was not ready, so produced no sound. Representatives from other manufacturers would frequently enter the booth during the "free time" in between presentation sessions, and sneakily switch the UI from "Sound" mode to the non-functioning "Pianist" mode, to give other visitors the impression that the instrument was broken.

Great memories! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Nice! Thank you both for the correction.

Well, if the NV10 filled that room on its own (to the point where competitors felt the need to sabotage it!), then the sound system is certainly beefy enough for a piano.

S
S

My photos don't give the best angle, but there's a decent amount of space below the top lid, even in the back where the hammers rise:

Great photos... Thanks Gombessa.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
S
S

I think they were focused on how it sounds as a piano. They did a great job on that part. The problem I have is with itā€™s sound as an external speaker system.

Last edited by Seif Maher; 09/25/20 12:24 AM.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I think they were focused on how it sounds as a piano. They did a great job on that part. The problem I have is with itā€™s sound as an external speaker system.
I know how that feels. I have an ebike that is really great for cycling - great build quality, lots of fun to ride. They did a great job on that part. The problem I have is with its limited usefulness for stock car racing. frown

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Page 222 of 302 1 2 220 221 222 223 224 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission